ADVERTISEMENT

NIL/ Transfer portal = SALARY CAP ???

Well this is much more out of control then i thought it was and also much faster then I could image! Just think of the disasters that await handing 18 year olds 100 of thousands of dollars. Just look at the problems the NFL faces and they hide a lot of it. Drinking, drugs, and lord knows what else will be running wild!!!

F*** st was clearly handing out $$$ which was proven many times and can clearly be seen in post above! For the troll above who says I do not like the greatFale sanderson. You would be correct, I do not like cheaters, and I hate cheaters in sports!!!

It directly takes away from someone else who busted their ass! You can just look at the Women's Swimming championship headlines. i have been involved with sports too long and had to deal with it too many times. In Strength sports, it may be the best example and the worst cases. As strong as I ever got, and that was many drug free championships worth. I was like a child compared to those taking PEDs.

Bothered me a little them, bothers me much more now as I see not only what was taken from me and many others who compete fairly, but also what it has taken away from all the young athletes moving forward.

I would bet that just about know one on here could tell me what the Bench Press record(s) are for example? Would you believe 800 RAW(without lifting gear, bench shirt etc...) THIRTEEN HUNDRED equipped!!! Teenage record? is 600 now I believe. How does a young kid go out and try and set a path to break these? How do you motivate kids to push themselves to train and compete when without drugs, they can never get close!

As I have said before. So many were so quick to praise the Russian wrestlers. They had no idea how dominate the USA was before PEDs, and that is a FACT and it goes on and on!

I have my son and some of his teammates and friends lifting their asses off and playing Football and Wrestling. I have no idea if it will be enough for them to become a high level college athlete? that is OK if the field is level? It is totally another if they are getting opportunities taken away by cheaters!

Do not forget about the amount of Body builders who have died this past year from drug abuse. Some older but many as young as 30's and including women! This is for those who always say, "if you can't beat them, join them." there are many risks involved and it effects everyone differently.
Ok that sounded crazy, first you're nuts if you don't think Americans have taken PEDS in Olympic sorts. They have. As for powerlifting, that sport has been rife with drugs since it's inception and the alleged drug free feds weren't. You think the guys in the USAPL formerly the ADFPA are drug free? Most high level guys weren't.
But as for the money, kids are doing just fine getting wasted and in trouble without NIL money. I don't think that will increase drug or alcohol abuse, it'll just make it an arms race money wise.

All true. Lubert told me of this (and more) and the details over lunch 4 some years ago
Oh yeah, it's public knowledge. Better even was Pegula giving PSU a ton of cash to start a D1 hockey team, built them an arena. There's nothing wrong with this, it's how most programs are funded. Phil Knight and Nike with Oregon and what's his name at Oklahoma State are other examples.

I’m serious when I say we should start a Cesspool/fan base NIL!
If we can organize it then we can donate and have a vote to which recruits we would offer it to. Can we do this? Would it be legal?
You’d maybe have the athlete address the cesspool and pay by the keystroke. Motivational speaker.

PSU had a great recruit in a fella named Ira Lubert...came to PSU as a Talented Heavyweight in 1968...had a 3 win and 3 loss record but was a 3 year letterman for PSU .... was a good teammate and backed up a National Champ as a valuable practice partner... but His MAIN Contribution to the PSU wrestling program was his verbal and FINANCIAL contribution to recruiting Carl and when they flew in his private jet and made the offer...then came back home and made the MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR DONATION to the new wrestling facility at PSU and set in motion the entire " grey money" recruiting process that was set to change the direction of the PSU wrestling program. This isnt hate or speculation, hell most of this was taken from an April 20, 2018 State College .com online article. oh they deny the grey money significance and the tremendous pay raise that Carl was given as social media hype.....but oddly enough all this started at the same time when the superstar Nationwide recruits starting pouring in and stockpiling the shelves with talent and yet Carl couldn't get any of this done UNDER THE RULES at IOWA STATE ????? A school with a long and storied wrestling tradition couldn't pull the recruits or talent because they operated Under the NCAA rules. With all of this occurring it seems that maybe PSU did have an early start on this NIL and Transfer Portal situation... Hell maybe they PERFECTED IT ?
the answer is to support your college team if you're some big shot high roller.

Reactions: el dub
Oh no NCHAWK I didn't want to be a loser. I suggest you go listen to Paul Simon, " I can read the writing on the wall" unless your lack of education has hurt you some? Then you should just keep calling people names. 1. IORNBIRD doesn't like Cael = fact. He's not disputing that and that's ok. Nobody has to like the other team's coach. 2. NCHAWK = I'll do my best to not engage your precocial thinking and have you got so upset you feel the need to rant, sorry.

PSU alumni group started some nil funding thing to just collect money outside of the school and make payoffs with. People can evidently ear mark what sport it goes to. Rules state nil is not allowed to be used as a recruiting tool but that's clearly ignored. Football even complaining of teams targeting players already on other teams with payoffs to transfer. Nil was supposed to be athletes making money based off name, image and likeness but has morphed into booster payoffs used to secure recruits.
Who’s could have ever guessed that was going to be the case. Frankly I’m stunned this has happened. Yea, I’m being sarcastic.

PSU alumni group started some nil funding thing to just collect money outside of the school and make payoffs with. People can evidently ear mark what sport it goes to. Rules state nil is not allowed to be used as a recruiting tool but that's clearly ignored. Football even complaining of teams targeting players already on other teams with payoffs to transfer. Nil was supposed to be athletes making money based off name, image and likeness but has morphed into booster payoffs used to secure recruits.
Sounds very similar to what was suggested by the greatest mind in the cesspool earlier in this thread...

We should be putting together on this board a program to support the team. T-shirts is one thing, not sure what a wrestler could get out of it? Also not sure if it wouldn't hurt our man Ironside. So I would suggest he be involved. Design NIL shirts to sell and split some of the profits among the team. have everyone on this board who can, buy at least one at $30 or 2 at $50.

Another thing would be camps. I would gladly pay for ANY Hawkeye to come and do a 2 day or week long camp. This should be promoted all over the place. IOWA STYLE WRESTLING at your school or club! Spencer Lee might command X amount while some others might get a little less but each kid could go to his hometown area maybe or teams could pay expenses to put a wrestler up and feed him for several days etc....

Could also do it the other way maybe. Come to IOWA and train with DeSanto, KemDawg, The Bull etc.... I certainly wouldn't mind taking my kid and maybe some of his teammates to Carver to get in some workouts and see what their practices/training is like. I do understand they have camps and all right now, but I am talking about more 1-1 or small groups where you get the kids much more individual attention and every Wrestler could be doing this to make a few bucks!

Unless or until college athletes unionize and agree, via contact with athletic departments/conferences/whatever comes after the NCAA, on salary caps there can be no limits place on an athlete’s ability to earn. The Supreme Court seemed to made that crystal clear.

Whatever you thought college athletics were before with the old mantra of “student athletes,” it is no more.

The question becomes will colleges be able or want to impose any kind of eligibility limits/standards on athletes down the road. Or will college sports become simply minor league college branding enterprises featuring professional players with unlimited playing careers simply wearing the colors of the schools who employ them?
The collegiate system is in fact what is enabling these athletes to earn their nil money. Therefore, colleges could tax athletes based on the amounts they earn. Tax based on providing the structure, the facilities, the coaching, and the advertising necessary for the athlete to compete.

College sports will continue to go down the shitter then. As parity declines so will overall interest. I've soured on most all pro sports I used to watch not watching some at all and watching a lot less of others and pros at least have the salary cap to keep things even. I'm old and old school and just can't appreciate a gun for hire system of team building. It would have to be something bigger than NCAA to be able to legislate something now that Pandora's Box is open.
I agree but it doesn't seem to be cutting into the bottom lines. With TV viewing and streaming it seems like profits are just fine.

the answer is to support your college team if you're some big shot high roller.
The answer is…..THE RESULT.…being that the schools with the most affluent alums can pay for the best athletes and have the best paid for professional teams. Question here is if that’s the desired result, if it is then all is good.

The answer is…..THE RESULT.…being that the schools with the most affluent alums can pay for the best athletes and have the best paid for professional teams. Question here is if that’s the desired result, if it is then all is good.
When has it ever been different? I started at PSU in 1981, boosters giving money was a big deal prior to me starting college.

Don’t be obtuse….we are talking about athletes being paid directly here not boosters donating money to the college.
I'm not being obtuse, for years colleges have poured money into facilities to attract recruits and that has always been allowed. . There have been bag men for years, and that is against the rules. Now NIL is here and will play a part. Money has always a played a part in big time athletics.
It's not going to change, it's best to adapt to the changes.

Unless or until college athletes unionize and agree, via contact with athletic departments/conferences/whatever comes after the NCAA, on salary caps there can be no limits place on an athlete’s ability to earn. The Supreme Court seemed to made that crystal clear.

Whatever you thought college athletics were before with the old mantra of “student athletes,” it is no more.

The question becomes will colleges be able or want to impose any kind of eligibility limits/standards on athletes down the road. Or will college sports become simply minor league college branding enterprises featuring professional players with unlimited playing careers simply wearing the colors of the schools who employ them?

Brad Pitt and the fat guy would disagree

I'm not being obtuse, for years colleges have poured money into facilities to attract recruits and that has always been allowed. . There have been bag men for years, and that is against the rules. Now NIL is here and will play a part. Money has always a played a part in big time athletics.
It's not going to change, it's best to adapt to the changes.
Ok then you are being idiotic if you think its still the same and nil has not changed the face of collegiate sports.

Last edited:
Ok that sounded crazy, first you're nuts if you don't think Americans have taken PEDS in Olympic sorts. They have. As for powerlifting, that sport has been rife with drugs since it's inception and the alleged drug free feds weren't. You think the guys in the USAPL formerly the ADFPA are drug free? Most high level guys weren't.
But as for the money, kids are doing just fine getting wasted and in trouble without NIL money. I don't think that will increase drug or alcohol abuse, it'll just make it an arms race money wise.
That is not what I said. There was a time BEFORE any know PEDs. For example, if you look before WWII, Americans DOMINATED both Wrestling and Olympic lifting.

I believe it was the Legend Paul Anderson who was the first to really get a push by other countries to find ways to make humans stronger. Dan Gable came much later but I say these to athletes scared the Russians to death. Paul with his super human strength, and Gable with his super human endurance.

Yes there are those that skate the rules in the above federations you speak. However the biggest meets, where the biggest "stars" would go, it was well known what was happening. Small meets held by the WNPF for example, were mostly fair. Could there be some in there taking PEDs? surely there could be, but the mega monsters have no reason to go to these meets and it would make them look like fools if they did!

The money part, yea kids are going to be kids. We however would be scrapping together our change at times to get a few beers. Had anyone on my Wrestling team had a few hundred grand to burn, I hate to think what might have happened!??!!?! If you have not seen or heard about rich kids drug problems? I am not sure where you have been? Having a lot of money without proper maturity, can lead to many problems.

It kinda reminds my of Trump and some of the things he was said to have said and do. I would say listen, "if IRONBIRD was a Billionaire and in the lime light for 40+ years. I am sure you would be hearing much crazier things!" Things like BIRD got pulled over for doing 120 in his lambo, or BIRD had a party at his Hamptons house that went on for 5 days!

Also you need to look at the amount of young Pro athletes who have had problems. The NFL for example is pretty Outrageous. Think about this with all the resources they have to try and stop it!!! Also think about how many who made millions, have nothing to show for it. They blew through it, without a care in the world. never thinking ahead. How many of these kids will never get an education to back up their athletics because of this?

Last edited:
That is not what I said. There was a time BEFORE any know PEDs. For example, if you look before WWII, Americans DOMINATED both Wrestling and Olympic lifting.

I believe it was the Legend Paul Anderson who was the first to really get a push by other countries to find ways to make humans stronger. Dan Gable came much later but I say these to athletes scared the Russians to death. Paul with his super human strength, and Gable with his super human endurance.

Yes there are those that skate the rules in the above federations you speak. However the biggest meets, where the biggest "stars" would go, it was well known what was happening. Small meets help by the WNPF for example, were mostly fair. Could there be some in there taking PEDs? surely there could be, but the mega monsters have no reason to go to these meets and it would make them look like fools if they did!

The money part, yea kids are going to be kids. We however would be scrapping together or change at times to get a few beers. Had anyone on my Wrestling team had a few hundred grand to burn, I hate to think what might have happened!??!!?! If you have not seen or heard about rich kids drug problems? I am not sure where you have been? Having a lot of money without proper maturity, can lead to many problems.

It kinda reminds my of Trump and some of the things he was said to have said and do. I would say listen, "if IRONBIRD was a Billionaire and in the lime light for 40+ years. I am sure you would be hearing much crazier things!" Things like BIRD got pulled over for doing 120 in his lambo, or BIRD had a party at his Hamptons house that went on for 5 days!

Also you need to look at the amount of young Pro athletes who have had problems. The NFL for example is pretty Outrageous. Think about this with all the resources they have to try and stop it!!! Also think about how many who made millions, have nothing to show for it. They blew through it, without a care in the world. never thinking ahead. How many of these kids will never get an education to back up their athletics because of this?
giphy.gif

Iowa has a large and we’ll off fan base. Seems like they could compete with any big ten team on the NIL front. Not sure why the complaining.

Iowa has a large and we’ll off fan base. Seems like they could compete with any big ten team on the NIL front. Not sure why the complaining.
Well off? Iowa has a pretty blue collar fan base and an alumni based considerably smaller than schools like Ohio State and Penn State.

Reactions: Grip220
Well off? Iowa has a pretty blue collar fan base and an alumni based considerably smaller than schools like Ohio State and Penn State.
Size definitely matters now….

Size of people’s wallets.

Iowa won’t be able to compete with schools that have multiple Billionaire alumni and fans. Not to mention those that have 100s of millions at their disposal to “donate”. Narrow it down even further to schools that are located in warmer climates, in urban areas, with beachfront property, and Coeds in bikinis 12 months of the year. Iowa won’t stand a chance.

The collegiate system is in fact what is enabling these athletes to earn their nil money. Therefore, colleges could tax athletes based on the amounts they earn. Tax based on providing the structure, the facilities, the coaching, and the advertising necessary for the athlete to compete.
Interesting. They will be paying taxes already.

Just spitballing here, 'cause this is all very new to me.

I get the argument that wealthy donors can now stock a team.

But I'm looking at the other side of this, which is that the top guys coming out of high school can literally go anywhere and make good money via NIL. If I'm a #1 P4P and I want to go to Princeton, I'm going to Princeton. Or Podunk State. The rich alum from (fill in the blank) can't persuade me to go elsewhere. I'll do fine.

The top 10 P4Ps aren't all going to be purchased by Penn State. I can tell you already that Spencer Lee would still be coming to Iowa if NIL were a thing in 2016. Do you really think Tom and Terry would've been persuaded by a wealthy Penn State donor in 1987 if NIL had been around then? Royce Alger?

Money is great, but it's not all that motivates people, and at a certain point, a little bit more has diminishing returns. (Not to mention the other argument, which is that Penn State doesn't exactly have the market cornered on rich alums.)

I think this favors the Ivies, frankly, plus larger schools with more national visibility (and larger fan bases), and--more than anything else, great programs with great coaches where great athletes want to be.

Rather than spending $26.5 million for a new wrestling facility, one has to wonder if it might make more sense to spend half that, and use the remaining amount elsewhere within the program.

Rather than spending $26.5 million for a new wrestling facility, one has to wonder if it might make more sense to spend half that, and use the remaining amount elsewhere within the program.
.......or, maybe a penny wrestling tax on every bushell of corn sold. Think that might generate $24M every year (maybe give $1M to ISU so they can step up from 7-11 and get some Casey's recruits). That should cover our NIL and HWC needs. After all, Iowa is corn and wrestling.

Last edited:
just call it a participation fee and distribute it to the athletes working just as hard not getting the nil stipend.
Now, that’s starting to sound a bit like…. socialism?

NIL is a popularity contest that has nothing to do with work ethics…

Reactions: HawkeyePA
Now, that’s starting to sound a bit like…. socialism?

NIL is a popularity contest that has nothing to do with work ethics…
nothing could be further from the truth. it’s capitalism. self employed contractors paying their share of the overhead costs.

nothing could be further from the truth. it’s capitalism. self employed contractors paying their share of the overhead costs.
They pay that bill by putting asses in the seats.

Allocating money to those lacking ability to generate funds themselves on the open market smacks of socialism. You get what you earn, right?

Reactions: sstark46

Yes there are those that skate the rules in the above federations you speak. However the biggest meets, where the biggest "stars" would go, it was well known what was happening. Small meets held by the WNPF for example, were mostly fair. Could there be some in there taking PEDs? surely there could be, but the mega monsters have no reason to go to these meets and it would make them look like fools if they did!

The money part, yea kids are going to be kids. We however would be scrapping together our change at times to get a few beers. Had anyone on my Wrestling team had a few hundred grand to burn, I hate to think what might have happened!??!!?! If you have not seen or heard about rich kids drug problems? I am not sure where you have been? Having a lot of money without proper maturity, can lead to many problems.

Again, you're sounding crazy. It seems you're obsessed with this issue.

Reactions: PSUer1989

Why are you obsessed with powerlifting? It's hard to even call it a sport . It's s niche hobby sport and it's well known many use PEDs. And many don't.
There's no real organized championship with over thirty feds in this country so people just go local when they compete. I'd compete in the IPA and RPS recently just because it's close to home. Im not going farther than a 2.5 drive to go to a meet to buy a trophy essentially.

5 days? We had keggers and pig roasts longer than that in high school.

• Haha
Reactions: IRONBIRD and el dub
Apparently RBY asking for six figure NIL deal to return. There should be a cap.
This. NIL created free agency. Who will follow? Money talks
College admissions could get tougher, however they won’t. I’d be curious to know what Suriano’s GPA is/was. Did Michigan turn a blind eye to this?

Are these big donors using NIL contributions to as tax write offs? In the case of IRA and other large donors, they are getting tax write offs as charitable contributions. They shouldn’t be getting tax deductions, because they are receiving something in return for their donation, is the way I see it. Maybe the IRS could bring some parity. I know, that’s a bit of a stretch.

Last edited:
Apparently RBY asking for six figure NIL deal to return. There should be a cap.
First of all, where is the factual basis for this statement? It is poppycock.
This. NIL created free agency. Who will follow? Money talks
College admissions could get tougher, however they won’t. I’d be curious to know what Suriano’s GPA is/was. Did Michigan turn a blind eye to this?

Are these big donors using NIL contributions to as tax write offs? In the case of IRA and other large donors, they are getting tax write offs as charitable contributions. They shouldn’t be getting tax deductions, because they are receiving something in return for their donation, is the way I see it. Maybe the IRS could bring some parity. I know, that’s a bit of a stretch.
If a business strikes a deal with an athlete to promote a product, it is a marketing expense, not a write-off. If you buy a Spencer Lee T-shirt from an online store that Spencer profits from, it cannot be written off as a charitable deduction.

1. because he is not a recognized non-profit entity and
2. you received fair value in the form of a T-shirt.

I can’t wait to send multimillions to the HWC, the first thing I’m going to do when bunches of top recruits start rolling in is have a big Hawkeye party for those who actually understand that Money does matter. The second thing I’m doing is buying brand new NIL boats to donate to our top recruits. The third thing I’m doing is taking pictures with the next bunch of top recruits that are hauled in wearing their shiny new IOWA gear. After all that I will post on here and ask where all those who think Carl is better then TNT are so they can Kiss my… dog!

That said I would much rather do it the right way but you cannot beat a Porsche with a VW

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT