ADVERTISEMENT

Nile Kinnick (1939 Heisman Trophy winner) still matters to these Hawkeyes, 80 years later.

Now THAT is really awesome. I have even greater respect for ISM and all the Hawkeyes who have such a great perspective on Hawkeye history.

BTW: If you want the accurate text of Kinnick's speech in its entirety, you might look for a book called "Kinnick: the novel." I think it's available from Amazon and others online, and it used to be at Iowa Book in Iowa City.

And if you can find it, the entire recording of the Heisman speech--not just the snippet they play in the stadium--is included in an album called "Hooray for the Hawkeyes!" that was written and produced around 1960 by Dick Lamb of Davenport. And not only are Kinnick's words memorable, so is his fabulous delivery. "Hooray for the Hawkeyes!" may be the greatest album of its kind ever produced. I still get chills listening to the play-by-play of games from the glory years of the 1950s, games that I never saw.

In addition to the entire Heisman speech, the album includes a couple of other short, rare recordings of Kinnick being interviewed. As you would expect, he shares some thoughtful and sincere observations that still resonate today.

Most sports historians agree that Kinnick set a standard with his speech that has never been surpassed. I had it memorized myself when I was in school and can still recite chunks of it. Fantastic to hear that Kinnick's words still mean something to today's Hawkeyes.

Thanks for posting, OP. This is a great time to hear stories like this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT