ADVERTISEMENT

no B1G games on ESPN after this year?

Its for 2023 and beyond, not this year. And its not final.

That being said, the B1G just negotiated a deal where CBS is paying $50 million more per year than ESPN just paid the SEC.

Except that the SEC/CBS deal has the first pick of games every week, one 2nd overall pick on the week of their choosing, and the SEC title game. The B1G/CBS package is at best going to be the 2nd best package and it won’t have a title game. The deal is likely for 6-8 years, not for 10. Considering that there are going to be 4 partners (Fox’s package is going to be significantly more money), its a safe bet that this will crest 1.5 billion for the total rights not including BTN. Guessing this will mean a $120 million payout sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
If it’s true that NBC will get the B1G night game, it’s mildly shocking that they will shut out ND from primetime games. Unless, of course, there is more news forthcoming…

Not having Fowler and Herbie anymore hurts.

Also, what does this mean for the future of Gameday? If the SEC is exclusive to ESPN, I can’t see them venturing outside of the south very often.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
I have to shop for a new TV deal, any advice would greatly appreciated. I had Dish and Direct for the last 20 years but I doubt they are the best deal going forward.

I have to shop for a new TV deal, any advice would greatly appreciated. I had Dish and Direct for the last 20 years but I doubt they are the best deal going forward.
IMO, all of the streaming options are basically the same. I have YouTube TV and it's fine. I prefer Fubo for two reasons; I like their interface better and they offer 4K for free (you have to pay extra on YouTube TV). The problem, for me, is that Fubo does not have KCRG in Cedar Rapids. You only get the ABC national affiliate. That's a non-starter in our house.

Another plus for Fubo is they are the only streaming option that I know of that offers the Marquee Network (if you're a Cubs fan).

If it’s true that NBC will get the B1G night game, it’s mildly shocking that they will shut out ND from primetime games. Unless, of course, there is more news forthcoming…
Yeah would want to see the fine print. If I recall correctly, most of Notre Dame's home games (the ones that NBC has the rights to) are in afternoon. But could be wrong.

I hope this doesn't mean that NBC is throwing the primetime Big 10 games on Peacock only. If so, hard pass Big 10.

It will be interesting to see if there is any impact from ESPN not hyping BigTen teams as much. With the nature of recruiting, if ESPN is constantly making it appear that every league other than the SEC is essentially a bunch of JV squads, what impact does that have on the impressionable 18 year olds watching at home as they make their decision about which school to attend for college…

Yeah would want to see the fine print. If I recall correctly, most of Notre Dame's home games (the ones that NBC has the rights to) are in afternoon. But could be wrong.

I hope this doesn't mean that NBC is throwing the primetime Big 10 games on Peacock only. If so, hard pass Big 10.
I can't imagine NBC spending all that money to put the game on their streaming network. If they are paying for the B1G, they'll have it on the main channel.

The interesting thing is NBC will get "free" ND games when they play at B1G schools. It seems, to me, that this hurts ND future media deal. This could be a really shrewd play on the part of the B1G to force ND's hand into joining the conference.

It will be interesting to see if there is any impact from ESPN not hyping BigTen teams as much. With the nature of recruiting, if ESPN is constantly making it appear that every league other than the SEC is essentially a bunch of JV squads, what impact does that have on the impressionable 18 year olds watching at home as they make their decision about which school to attend for college…
This is a very good point that's concerned me too when I heard that the B1G might be cutting all ties with ESPN. Like it or not, at this moment ESPN runs college football, and as strong of a position that the B1G is in, this kind of power play would still be a big gamble. If the SEC continues to have the higher quality FB league, chances are the gap will only widen...

I can't imagine NBC spending all that money to put the game on their streaming network. If they are paying for the B1G, they'll have it on the main channel.

The interesting thing is NBC will get "free" ND games when they play at B1G schools. It seems, to me, that this hurts ND future media deal. This could be a really shrewd play on the part of the B1G to force ND's hand into joining the conference.
With what the reported Big 10 media rights deal is, NBC is not going to get many, if any, opportunities to broadcast away Notre Dame football games. NBC is going to get third choice of games it sounds like (FOX and CBS will get first crack weekly at games). ND's future schedules with away Big 10 teams:

2024 - at Purdue, at USC. Highly unlikely FOX or CBS passes on showing Notre Dame against those opponents.
2025 - no away games against Big 10 teams.
2026 - at Purdue, at USC. Same as 2024.
2027 - schedule not final yet, but at Michigan State is on schedule. That will not get down to third choice game.
2028 - at Purdue. No USC on schedule, but just due to schedules not being finalized yet.

There may be some effort here to force ND's hand by the conference, but I really don't see it based on the information we have right now. You don't get ND in your league by strong-arming them. It's why conference hasn't prohibited conference schools from playing ND in football. If ND is ever to join the Big 10 or any conference (and I'm not convinced that they will) it will be due to the playoff structure changing to where they are not guaranteed a seat at the table like they are today if they meet certain win/ranking thresholds.

I do think the Big 10 is being very deliberate toward ESPN and not being beholden to them. Is that a wise move? Hard to know. Some will claim it hurts your conference brand if you aren't on ESPN. But ESPN is taking a huge risk (I would argue a massive risk) by not having rights to carry Big 10 games. There are some of the larger metro areas that will have very little reason to tune into any of the ESPN channels during college FB. Columbus, Detroit/Ann Arbor, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Pennsylvania (Philly/Pittsburgh), Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, DC/Maryland, LA, all of those will have their local team(s) not being shown on ESPN. Fans of teams will still know where to get their games (be it on FOX, CBS, NBC, BTN).

This is a very good point that's concerned me too when I heard that the B1G might be cutting all ties with ESPN. Like it or not, at this moment ESPN runs college football, and as strong of a position that the B1G is in, this kind of power play would still be a big gamble. If the SEC continues to have the higher quality FB league, chances are the gap will only widen...
SEC is a regional conference. We nationwide!

I really won't miss Gameday that much. The best part was watching the DA Bear miss most of his picks. Hope he does not gamble. ESPN was already the SEC Network so it really won't change a whole bunch.
Was he the modern version of Jimmy the Greek?

ESPN also dominates the sports talk radio market.

well-bye-later.gif

ADVERTISEMENT