ADVERTISEMENT

No Excuses (Set the record straight)

PHawkKenyon

Team MVP
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2016
Cedar Rapids
I want to clear up a few things that happened in the Richmond game. First, congratulations to Richmond. They made shots, we didn’t and so the story goes. Second. Keegan will take everything into consideration when making his decision on his future. He will speak to all that could be effected and do what is best for Keegan. Third. For anyone to say he was “exposed” and hurt his stock, must have forgot already the season he had. One game cannot destroy a season is of consistency and production. Last. He rolled his ankle on what should have been at least a flagrant 1 foul. Keegan didn’t complain and didn’t even tell Kris he rolled it. He did what he could, but go back and watch him run. He couldn’t. My wife noticed it right away. Let’s be real. The only thing that slowed him down this year was the ankle and foul trouble. So let’s stop the guessing and live in facts.

I want to clear up a few things that n the Richmond game. First, congratulations to Richmond. They made shots, we didn’t and so the story goes. Second. Keegan will take everything into consideration when making his decision on his future. He will speak to all that could be effected and do what is best for Keegan. Third. For anyone to say he was “exposed” and hurt his stock, must have forgot already the season he had. One game cannot destroy a season is of consistency and production. Last. He rolled his ankle on what should have been at least a flagrant 1 foul. Keegan didn’t complain and didn’t even tell Kris he rolled it. He did what he could, but go back and watch him run. He couldn’t. My wife noticed it right away. Let’s be real. The only thing that slowed him down this year was the ankle and foul trouble. So let’s stop the guessing and live in facts.
Thanks

I want to clear up a few things that happened in the Richmond game. First, congratulations to Richmond. They made shots, we didn’t and so the story goes. Second. Keegan will take everything into consideration when making his decision on his future. He will speak to all that could be effected and do what is best for Keegan. Third. For anyone to say he was “exposed” and hurt his stock, must have forgot already the season he had. One game cannot destroy a season is of consistency and production. Last. He rolled his ankle on what should have been at least a flagrant 1 foul. Keegan didn’t complain and didn’t even tell Kris he rolled it. He did what he could, but go back and watch him run. He couldn’t. My wife noticed it right away. Let’s be real. The only thing that slowed him down this year was the ankle and foul trouble. So let’s stop the guessing and live in facts.
Thanks, not to change the subject but, what are Kris's plans, will he participate in the NBA evaluation process and not get a agent? I'm guessing if he shows well he might have a tough decision. He really played out of position all year so given the chance he could have a bigger upside of anyone.

What I'd like to know is if Kris is coming back? Keegan would be crazy to come back. You have to strike while the iron is hot. That's business.

Thank you for the insight Kenyon! I know that the loss to Richmond has been harder on your family and the rest of the team than us, which is hard to imagine. Good luck to all of you as you struggle through the decision Keegan has to make this year and hopefully Kris next year. It is better than not having a decision to make about going to the NBA though. Regardless of the final decision, I know many of us appreciate their play as Hawkeyes and the support and insight you give into the program.

Kenyon
Can/will you give us your perspective of physicality of the game compared to when you played and if it effects calls by refs today. I believe it has gotten out of hand and the refs have a hard time making calls because of the physicality and speed of the game now.
Thanks
Many coaches have developed the "they can't call everything" approach to playing basketball defense.

Anyone saying he was “exposed” is an emotional fanatic (there’s a lot of them!). We all know Keegan is going pro, and are proud of him for his success. It was clear he rolled his ankle and it affected him, shit happens, won’t stop him from being a lottery pick.

Excited for Kris to have another year of development (particularly on that right hand) and to be the alpha for what should be a strong team.

Can’t wait to support him and the Hawks next year. Thanks for a great season!

What I'd like to know is if Kris is coming back? Keegan would be crazy to come back. You have to strike while the iron is hot. That's business.
We have to meet with the coaching staff and the team of individuals that will help vet all of the information for both of them. Probably going to be a couple of weeks before a decision for either is made.

Keegan will not be coming back!

That's too bad to go out that way with an injury. Kenyon, it was a pleasure seeing Keegan develop and play at Iowa. Hoping Kris makes a big leap next year but I understand if options are there for him to leave and get paid in the league. Either way I will be a big fan of both in their next step.

Kenyon, thank you for posting. I have really enjoyed watching your boys play this year, and really Keegan last year as well. They both are so smooth, it is amazing to watch.

I have a question. From the outside looking in, not only Keegan and Kris, but the entire team looked really fatigued and tired from the beginning of the game. Do you feel the same way? And if you do, how much of playing so hard in the B1G tourney and then the travel do you think contributed to that?

Your kids were huge factors in getting the program in the position of being in the tournament. One of them led the team to victory in the majority of our wins. Any fan knocking them is a moron. The opportunity they have in font of them has to be a dream come true. I would totally understand if they both decided to go get paid to play a game they love after the evaluation process. Obviously, fans would be thrilled to have one or both back.

Agree this last game does absolutely nothing for his draft stock. He is a stud and will get paid accordingly.

I was on the Richmond board after the game and a couple of their posters noticed and wondered the same. Praying for a full recovery. You have some great kids. Can I just say the favorite thing about them I absolutely love is that they never talk crap or smack no matter what is happening in the game. It is so refreshing to see IMO. I have showed my kids a number of times during the year what great examples your sons are. Thanks for all you do.

I didn't open many of the threads after the game so I didn't see anything bashing Keegan. We do have an emotional fanbase though... it is a shame that was a takeaway for some.

@PHawkKenyon there has been a lot made of the ball that was used in the tourney. Obviously, the team, nor Fran, has let it be an excuse. From watching the tournament games, the ball seems to be almost over inflated. Once it hits rim, it's flying. Did the boys say anything about that? Again, not that they would be making an excuse...

Really appreciate all the twins have done for the program this year. I really appreciate how they represent the U of I well beyond the basketball court.

Kenyon, thank you for posting. I have really enjoyed watching your boys play this year, and really Keegan last year as well. They both are so smooth, it is amazing to watch.

I have a question. From the outside looking in, not only Keegan and Kris, but the entire team looked really fatigued and tired from the beginning of the game. Do you feel the same way? And if you do, how much of playing so hard in the B1G tourney and then the travel do you think contributed to that?
There definitely was a weird vibe in the arena. There were about 10-12 times the referees went to the monitors and they were always going to the coaches on both sides to “explain” things. As far as fatigue, I could see that a little, but playing in a hockey arena had a different backdrop for shooting. Neither team shot great, but my HS coach was there with us and he made the comment about backdrop for shooting. Sometimes it is little things like that, but the energy level did seems a little low. The team vibes off of Keegan’s energy and he was clearly effected. Not an excuse, but a reality in team sports.

I didn't open many of the threads after the game so I didn't see anything bashing Keegan. We do have an emotional fanbase though... it is a shame that was a takeaway for some.

@PHawkKenyon there has been a lot made of the ball that was used in the tourney. Obviously, the team, nor Fran, has let it be an excuse. From watching the tournament games, the ball seems to be almost over inflated. Once it hits rim, it's flying. Did the boys say anything about that? Again, not that they would be making an excuse...

Really appreciate all the twins have done for the program this year. I really appreciate how they represent the U of I well beyond the basketball court.
They did say it was very different from all of the balls they have played with throughout the season. That says alot because they played with Nike, Adidas and UA balls in various B10 arenas this year.

Keegan had greatest season by an Iowa player I have ever seen in 45 years of watching Iowa B-ball. Two best players on team imho. Thankfull for being able to see both brothers play for Iowa. Unfortunately, the team all played tight shooting the ball...I couldn't stand that Burton kid, but he did flop his way to a win.

There definitely was a weird vibe in the arena. There were about 10-12 times the referees went to the monitors and they were always going to the coaches on both sides to “explain” things. As far as fatigue, I could see that a little, but playing in a hockey arena had a different backdrop for shooting. Neither team shot great, but my HS coach was there with us and he made the comment about backdrop for shooting. Sometimes it is little things like that, but the energy level did seems a little low. The team vibes off of Keegan’s energy and he was clearly effected. Not an excuse, but a reality in team sports.
I was really worried after the first game up there when South Dakota State, a shooting team, scored 29 points less than their average and went from 52% to 38% shooting overall and from 45% to 30% from 3. Of course it could be just a random bad game, but, the trend throughout the day didn't lie.

Aside from the atrocious no-call on Kris in the last minute, how do you think the game was called in comparison to other games throughout the year?

Just the way it goes sometimes. Just one of those days where there wasnt much rhythm. Seemed like Iowa was gonna have to grind the game out after watching just the first 3 mins. Unfortunately not enough shots fell to get over the hump

Reactions: kceasthawk
Kenyon
Can/will you give us your perspective of physicality of the game compared to when you played and if it effects calls by refs today. I believe it has gotten out of hand and the refs have a hard time making calls because of the physicality and speed of the game now.
Thanks
The game today may be faster but it is in no way close to being as physical. 80's/early 90's was a completely different game. Hell, Horton almost broke Burtons neck in a game, elbows were weapons and knees helped give you space. What is there today...hand checks? Moving screens?

@PHawkKenyon
Thanks for posting Kenyon and for being willing to share some insight on the game, your sons’ situation and the decision-making timeline and process. I love reading these tidbits of information. Keegan and Kris have such great attitudes. You’ve taught them to play the game the right way.

I grew-up in Iowa watching Hawkeye hoops and I was in middle school when you played for the Hawks. Needless to say, you and your teammates in the mid-90s were very formative in creating the love and passion I have for Iowa hoops. Now, as an adult, it has been an absolute joy to watch your sons play at Iowa. This run of wins to end the season and especially the Big Ten Tournament championship, were so much fun and took me back to my youth.

I love your reading your thoughts but also want to say that none of you have anything to feel bad about and there is no need to explain or justify anything. Your family has given so much to Iowa hoops over the years and has brought joy and excitement to my life and the lives of many others. Honestly, I’m kind of in shock that I’m able to communicate with you. Reading your insight and updates have been a lot of fun and provides some important perspective for us fans.

Obviously, Keegan and Kris playing in the NBA will be an enormous blessing to them and your family, whenever that time comes. However, I also believe it will be a blessing to Iowa hoops to both raise the profile of the program and to assist in Coach McCaffery’s recruiting efforts as well.

I guess the point of this long post is to say thank you; thanks to you, Keegan, and Kris for everything your family has done for Hawkeye basketball. I look forward to following their careers, wherever that may be next year.

God bless and go Hawks!

The game today may be faster but it is in no way close to being as physical. 80's/early 90's was a completely different game. Hell, Horton almost broke Burtons neck in a game, elbows were weapons and knees helped give you space. What is there today...hand checks? Moving screens?
I would say it was more physical in the paint but players were not able to grab, arm bar and hold on the perimeter like they do today.

You owe no explanation to anyone. Despite the ending, the team exceeded all expectations. It's been a joy to watch your kids play.

And how can an All-Americans stock go down when he has a difficult game, a so-so shooting game, and might have been slowed by the ankle, yet he still scores 21 points and had 9 rebounds and a couple of assists. And Keegan shot 8 for 15 for about 45% and 5 for 5 at the line. The rest of the team shot 31%.

Richmond did not want to get into a running game with Iowa as they did not have as good or deep a bench. After Iowa's 11-0 run in the 2nd half their coach took a great timeout and slowed them down because the tempo was fast in Iowa's run. Richmond had 4 seniors all playing in their 5th season and Hilyard was their glue and leading scorer. They slowed the game down enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
Agree, college game is less physical now but college is allowed to get far more physical than the nba today.

Theres a significant amount of change that still needs to happen. All the charge calls are ridiculous.

Agree, college game is less physical now but college is allowed to get far more physical than the nba today.

Theres a significant amount of change that still needs to happen. All the charge calls are ridiculous.
I agree. The one thing that needs to change is the stoppage of play to review, it is too much

Keegan had 21pts and 9 boards after playing nonstop in the btt. People asking if he hurt his status is funny stuff.

I think we all know what is best for Keegan ;) :(. It was fun watching him!

Thanks, not to change the subject but, what are Kris's plans, will he participate in the NBA evaluation process and not get a agent? I'm guessing if he shows well he might have a tough decision. He really played out of position all year so given the chance he could have a bigger upside of anyone.
Why would he not participate, it doesn't hurt anything.

I'd assume he'll be back. I have zero interest in the NBA though so what do I know lol

It is definitely much harder to move and cut in general today, than it was even 30 years ago......let alone guys being able to dribble drive.
Exactly. That NC/Baylor game I watched is what makes me realize that Iowa's finesse, crisp passing/shooting offense ( when we're clicking ) is no match for the shitball, grab, hold, foul and refoul game that is needed to get to the sweet 16 nowadays...

Glad baseball is here...

Appreciate that you take the time to post here Kenyon as you owe none of us a thing.

I fully expect this to have been Keegan's final season as a Hawk, and he gave tremendous effort all year. It was clear that the ankle issue significantly affected him against richmond.
Looking forward to seeing Keegan's name called in the first round of the draft, hopefully in the top 10.
Hoping to see a standout season from Kris next year.

Kenyon, first I want to say I Love you and your family. One thing your boys got from you is their work ethic. I would never question you, Keegan or Kris to give anything but 150% at all times. Thanks to both boys for their amazing efforts all season long. They have represented their family and team with class and it is greatly appreciated. I will support your boys no matter what decision they make. Thank you and your boys for all the wonderful moments you have provided. Best of luck in all their future endeavors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT