ADVERTISEMENT

No Excuses (Set the record straight)

@PHawkKenyon thanks for your insights and postings. While watching the game on TV, it did seem like an ugly ankle twist (maybe on both?) and throw in the fact that the Spiders were double/triple teaming him, amazing that he still had 21 pts/ 9 boards. So no need to explain yourself. It was a great season no doubt and best of luck to your sons. They made Iowa basketball relevant again and they are outstanding representatives for Iowa Basketball.:)

I want to clear up a few things that happened in the Richmond game. First, congratulations to Richmond. They made shots, we didn’t and so the story goes. Second. Keegan will take everything into consideration when making his decision on his future. He will speak to all that could be effected and do what is best for Keegan. Third. For anyone to say he was “exposed” and hurt his stock, must have forgot already the season he had. One game cannot destroy a season is of consistency and production. Last. He rolled his ankle on what should have been at least a flagrant 1 foul. Keegan didn’t complain and didn’t even tell Kris he rolled it. He did what he could, but go back and watch him run. He couldn’t. My wife noticed it right away. Let’s be real. The only thing that slowed him down this year was the ankle and foul trouble. So let’s stop the guessing and live in facts.
What a special season he had. He played hard and did everything he could in the Richmond game.

I look forward to rooting for him whichever jersey he's wearing next year. One of the greatest Hawkeye players in history. Anyone with negative things to say knows nothing about the game.

Kenyon
Can/will you give us your perspective of physicality of the game compared to when you played and if it effects calls by refs today. I believe it has gotten out of hand and the refs have a hard time making calls because of the physicality and speed of the game now.
Thanks

And if you make all the calls by the letter of the rules then 5 guys on each team would foul out and it would be a free throw parade. But maybe they should not shoot any free throws at all unless a shooting foul until there are 10 team fouls BUT call the games closer.

If you want to see a strange contrast go back and find video of the two huge games around 1968 between UCLA and Houston, Hayes vs Alcindor. There was very little banging, bumping, and arm bar checking. Players played better defense with their feet.

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
Well I am going to say it even though it will sound very selfish. I love the Murray family. A great dad plus Hawkeye legend and it seems pretty obvious by how the twins handle themselves, a mom and dad that have done an exceptional job or raising them. They are 2 unbelievable representatives of the University of Iowa on and off the court.

So my selfish comment is I really want to see them both at Iowa for one more season and a run at things. Yes I understand there is some risk in that for them personally. I want to see them side by side in the starting line-up, enjoying each other for that time, developing even more and letting it rip for next season. I want to see them be the best influence for their teammates (which they are already) but help these other guys develop, build confidence and have some fun!

I can't think of a time ever in Iowa basketball where I felt we had THIS MUCH talent with with eligibility remaining. So while I would not hold any decision the guys make against them and I will ALWAYS appreciate this lightning in a bottle type year for Keegan especially, I think there is truly the ability for next year's team to be in the national spotlight all year and make a serious run. Not going to hurt recruiting at all either.

I know, I am being selfish but man I hope I have not watched the end of these young men playing together. One thing I am sure of is whatever they decide, it will be well thought out and their eyes will be wide open on what they are doing....and they will have a great sounding board in their parents.

Well I am going to say it even though it will sound very selfish. I love the Murray family. A great dad plus Hawkeye legend and it seems pretty obvious by how the twins handle themselves, a mom and dad that have done an exceptional job or raising them. They are 2 unbelievable representatives of the University of Iowa on and off the court.

So my selfish comment is I really want to see them both at Iowa for one more season and a run at things. Yes I understand there is some risk in that for them personally. I want to see them side by side in the starting line-up, enjoying each other for that time, developing even more and letting it rip for next season. I want to see them be the best influence for their teammates (which they are already) but help these other guys develop, build confidence and have some fun!

I can't think of a time ever in Iowa basketball where I felt we had THIS MUCH talent with with eligibility remaining. So while I would not hold any decision the guys make against them and I will ALWAYS appreciate this lightning in a bottle type year for Keegan especially, I think there is truly the ability for next year's team to be in the national spotlight all year and make a serious run. Not going to hurt recruiting at all either.

I know, I am being selfish but man I hope I have not watched the end of these young men playing together. One thing I am sure of is whatever they decide, it will be well thought out and their eyes will be wide open on what they are doing....and they will have a great sounding board in their parents.
yea.. my hope is they come back too.
in my world, if they make 17 million or over 170 million dollars playing basketball... its no difference.. its too much money.

even if pro ball never works out for either one of them and they worked 40 hours a week at minimum wage... nothing wrong with that... at all.

nothing wrong with being poor..
the greater sin would be to have 170 million dollars and no work at all

Why would he not participate, it doesn't hurt anything.

I'd assume he'll be back. I have zero interest in the NBA though so what do I know lol
It could be an invitation only in order to limit the people. I'm not sure of the process.

I'm concerned Kris won't be back.

yea.. my hope is they come back too.
in my world, if they make 17 million or over 170 million dollars playing basketball... its no difference.. its too much money.

even if pro ball never works out for either one of them and they worked 40 hours a week at minimum wage... nothing wrong with that... at all.

nothing wrong with being poor..
the greater sin would be to have 170 million dollars and no work at all

Not sure of your background but it is what rich people do with the big money they make that matters. I really love all hawk sports and myself I also love golf, playing and watching. What a lot of people do not realize is the PGA Tour and raised well over $2 billion dollars for charity over the years. Many of the pros have their own fundraising charities. Jack Nicklaus and his wife have raised over $160 million for children's hospitals, stuff like that.

I have no doubt that if Keegan and Kris make a lot of money they will help people and do good things. A lot of other highly paid athletes squander their money or do not help people much. Many rich people share and many do not.

Can money buy the happiness of playing another year of college ball with your brother at your father's alma mater? Food for thought, dropped in this thread for no reason in particular.

Reactions: F5n5 and Packer54
I want to clear up a few things that happened in the Richmond game. First, congratulations to Richmond. They made shots, we didn’t and so the story goes. Second. Keegan will take everything into consideration when making his decision on his future. He will speak to all that could be effected and do what is best for Keegan. Third. For anyone to say he was “exposed” and hurt his stock, must have forgot already the season he had. One game cannot destroy a season is of consistency and production. Last. He rolled his ankle on what should have been at least a flagrant 1 foul. Keegan didn’t complain and didn’t even tell Kris he rolled it. He did what he could, but go back and watch him run. He couldn’t. My wife noticed it right away. Let’s be real. The only thing that slowed him down this year was the ankle and foul trouble. So let’s stop the guessing and live in facts.
Whoa yeah! That ankle roll was BAD! I haven't played in almost 60 years and MY ankle hurt watching that. He actually rolled the left ankle trying to catch himself although not quite as bad.

He got up pretty quick and just rubbed it a little and even the announcers said it was a good sign he didn't go for treatment but I wondered. I'm thinking he didn't go to the bench because he knew if he sat down for a few minutes it would stiffen up on him and he'd be done. Been there done that. Tremendous show of guts but he just wasn't Keegan after that. The sitdown at half time really did him in. Still the dude played 38 minutes on those ankles. Guts.

Not sure of your background but it is what rich people do with the big money they make that matters. I really love all hawk sports and myself I also love golf, playing and watching. What a lot of people do not realize is the PGA Tour and raised well over $2 billion dollars for charity over the years. Many of the pros have their own fundraising charities. Jack Nicklaus and his wife have raised over $160 million for children's hospitals, stuff like that.

I have no doubt that if Keegan and Kris make a lot of money they will help people and do good things. A lot of other highly paid athletes squander their money or do not help people much. Many rich people share and many do not.
Would be interesting to see a list of those who do that and who squander it.
Comes down to (it's their money to spend the way they want though).

I haven't had an NBA team in awhile so I've already decided I'm adopting whatever team Keegan end up on.. this year or next. Just please don't let it be the Knicks... I really don't want to have to root for the Knicks :D

That said, from what I can tell, you raised a couple of good dude's and it's been a shitload of fun to watch them play this year.

Thank you Kenyon. Whether we see Kris or Keegan in a Hawkeye jersey again, they made Hawkeye nation proud
I posted before that as much as I enjoyed watching Garza I have never gotten as much pure joy watching a guy play basketball as I did with Keegan.

We have to meet with the coaching staff and the team of individuals that will help vet all of the information for both of them. Probably going to be a couple of weeks before a decision for either is made.
Thanks for the insights. I said, after Keegan's start to the season, I wanted to watch him against Big Ten competition before he was promoted as a lottery or top ten NBA pick. He more than answered the call. He just might be the most complete package I've seen play at Iowa. I've been following the Hawks since the Ralph Miller days. If he is not the most complete, he is in the top three. John Johnson, Fred Brown, Ronnie Lester are all there.

I think Kris would greatly benefit from coming back for another year. He could be in the same role Keegan played this year and would improve his NBA stock. It may be that I really want him to come back! :)

You have done an incredible job raising those two. The are competitive, intense, and gentlemen. It is rare to see players with that much control and poise. That is truly a tribute to you and your wife. I would trust my open door safe with your family!

And if you make all the calls by the letter of the rules then 5 guys on each team would foul out and it would be a free throw parade. But maybe they should not shoot any free throws at all unless a shooting foul until there are 10 team fouls BUT call the games closer.

If you want to see a strange contrast go back and find video of the two huge games around 1968 between UCLA and Houston, Hayes vs Alcindor. There was very little banging, bumping, and arm bar checking. Players played better defense with their feet.
Seriously. In the B10 final if they'd made the calls that big lug for Purdue would haved fouled out in the first half and then fouled out again in the 2nd. He ended up with 2 fouls.

That sucks he got hurt and it’s hard to think about what might have been…

as for the future, my opinion is it’s almost a certainty Keegan’s done and I can’t blame him. It wouldn’t shock me if he came back for another year with his brother, but given his age and ability, he WILL be advised to go. I would be shocked if Kris goes pro already, but not because I don’t see the potential he has - I don’t think it’s ever a good idea to leave early if you’re not a sure first rounder, and he’s not at that level yet. If he has a great season he will be there next year though.

I could tell immediately that the ankle affected Keegan substantially. On offense, he deferred for most of the game, after the sprain, in spots that he normally would have taken over. And defensively, he wasn't able to push off as well in his slides, and let a few drives around him.

That being said, Keegan did assert his will more forcefully in the last few minutes, and played very effectively. It makes you wish that he would have tried to take over earlier in the game. That being said, playing hurt isn't easy. It takes a while to adjust and know what you can do. It's also possible that Keegan's ankle loosened up a bit as he continued to play. I'm definitely not going to beat Keegan up over anything. He showed up for the team time after time this season.

I'm not sure Iowa wins that game with a healthy Keegan anyway. It was a clear case of the team coming out flat after the big ten tourney. An emotional hangover from a championship probably even moreso than than tired legs from playing four days in a row. A carbon copy of emotional hangover brought by #2 Iowa vs Purdue in football. Coming off a comeback win vs Penn St. Fans rush the field. Ferentz crying in post game. Long night in Iowa City by the players, no doubt. Rise to #2 ranking. Players being drooled on by classmates all week and hearing how great they are. Ferentz, in the Tuesday press conference, still being asked about PSU faking injuries. And even worse, responding to those questions during Purdue week. It was all a very clear recipe for a flat performance vs Purdue. And I'm sure the basketball team just experienced a very similar dynamic.

It's a very real human dynamic. Emotions explosions are exhausting. As a coach, I would be scared to death of having to win a championship on four consecutive days play directly before the Big Dance. In that scenario, I think the coach is getting paid to be a party pooper. Celebrate the championship briefly in the locker room, but quickly put an end to it. And shift the focus to rest and preparation for the Dance. Promise the team that after the season there will be an over-the-top party to celebrate the big ten tourney championship they've earned.

That all being said, sometimes as a team you come out flat. Iowa, as a team, still has to find a a way to win that game. There has to be a guy on the team that grabs the bull by the horn and verbally leads. Someone has to raise the energy and intensity levels and verbally rally the troops. At times, when the Hawks have been lifeless, they have lacked this type of leadership. The ISU game was quite like the Richmond game in this regard. To some degree Purdue at home and Michigan at home. I've been frustrated at times this season that Keegan hasn't been more of a vocal leader. He definitely leads through example and has lifted his teammates in that way. But from the great, much is expected. As Keegan went through a shaky stretch of free throw shooing this season, I found myself desiring a Keegan that would will his team to victory. All that being said, you can't be anything but ecstatic with Keegan. He did everything for the Hawks this season. And he did it time after time. The Hawks had a good season because Keegan was so great. Keegan was in his first season as a go-to guy at that level and is still very much in the developmental stage of his career. I'm sure if Keegan came back next season (which he won't) we would see more verbal leadership and willed victories.

Iowa's season turned at OSU. Before the game, Conner told the team to go out there and play pissed off. That helped the team learn how to play to win, rather than playing not to lose. They parlayed a big victory in Columbus that day into their best run of games of the season. Vs Richmond, Iowa played not to lose. I've never liked conference tournaments. The championship run will be something worth remembering for the rest of their lives though

There definitely was a weird vibe in the arena. There were about 10-12 times the referees went to the monitors and they were always going to the coaches on both sides to “explain” things. As far as fatigue, I could see that a little, but playing in a hockey arena had a different backdrop for shooting. Neither team shot great, but my HS coach was there with us and he made the comment about backdrop for shooting. Sometimes it is little things like that, but the energy level did seems a little low. The team vibes off of Keegan’s energy and he was clearly effected. Not an excuse, but a reality in team sports.
That floor being over an ice rink had to be difficult for the players as well. There were at least three times on TV that Iowa players slipped and fell when attacking on the Richmond bench side, and there may have been more. The whole arena seemed weird — the ball, the rims, the audible “clank” when the ball drew iron, the floor, and now as you say the shooting backdrop,

Serious question…do either keegan or kris have serious gf’s? Just looking ahead to the 2042-2045 rosters, and thinking we could almost have a starting lineup of Murray’s by then! 😍
Lol. We know Kenyon and his wife were co-MVPs of this years team!

Thank you Kenyon for the insight. It’s been a joy to watch your boys play ball for Iowa. I can only imagine the disappointment they must feel because they did want to alter the history and trajectory of Iowa BB.

The good news is that they have another chance to do so 😉

Either way, you have lots to be proud of.

Thanks Kenyon. That ankle roll looked really bad! It is amazing that he still performed the way he did. And as many have already said......Keegan is the most complete player to ever wear a Hawk uniform. Everyone needs to let that sink in for a minute. I don't remember Ronnie or Johnny Johnson, etc.. But, I can always say I saw you AND your boys play for the Hawks!! What a thrill!!! And, whatever they decide, they will do AMAZING!!!

Thanks for brining them home for us to enjoy buddy!!!!

GO HAWKS!!

Exactly right - no excuses.

But there can be "reasons" why the Hawks lost. A turned ankle, adjusting to a new ball, a hangover from the BTT are not excuses, but all likely contributed.

Iowa starts 2 sophs and a RS soph in PMac. Best players on the bench are a soph, and junior and a freshman. Richmond was loaded with seniors and super-seniors. Another possible contributor.

A week ago the basketball world was praising this team. As a 19-20 year old, it's impossible for that to not get in your head a little. That and basking in the glow of a BTT title was another contributor.

The stars aligned for the Hawks to play excellent BB since Feb 1st and win the BTT. The magic ran out. :(

That floor being over an ice rink had to be difficult for the players as well. There were at least three times on TV that Iowa players slipped and fell when attacking on the Richmond bench side, and there may have been more. The whole arena seemed weird — the ball, the rims, the audible “clank” when the ball drew iron, the floor, and now as you say the shooting backdrop,
I think I mentioned this somewhere but back in the 80s I went to UI Chicago and they had the same setup - hockey rink with a basketball floor on it. Slippery as hell. We used to say they should give the basketball players skates. Kept the mop and towel crew busy.

Kenyon, is Keegan going to hook you and Mom up with new Benz's? I am glad you guys passed on beautiful Macomb and I hope he ends up a Pacer. Will be rooting for him and Kris next year. It will be interesting to go through the NBA process. It is no doubt a 3ball league now a days but the paychecks are crazy. Go Hawks!

Thanks Kenyon, for letting us in. This was truly a special year having your two sons playing together for the Hawks. I hope you were able to enjoy it. Opportunities like this are rare for parents. A dream come true really. Just like Keegan now getting to continue his dream of playing in the NBA. And Kris, whether it's this year or next, is heading in the same direction. Your family shows a lot of class. God bless guys.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT