ADVERTISEMENT

No official visit from Proctor

BFD on the whole thing.,
If he’s a Hawk, that’s outstanding . If not life goes on . Next man up. Not gonna lose sleep or live and die over one 18 year old recruit .
I have a buddy who is an assistant coach/lead recruiter at a major D1/P5 school. He once told me he loses sleep at night because the food he puts on the table for his family is dependent on the decisions of 17-18 y/o kids. Told a story about one kid, actually from down my way, who he basically "babysat" for a week. Finally was convinced the kid was fully committed so jumped on a plane and headed out. By the time he touched down back at home, the kid had committed to another school. His parents were divorced and his mom and dad had different favorite schools. That kid is in the NFL now. Coaches lose sleep over this stuff. No need for fans to as well.

Arkansas State? Really? I mean, Really? That has to be a misprint, unless it is Proctor's life dream to visit the state of Arkansas. The other schools I can see, but unless Arkansas State can offer this kid a multi million dollar NIL deal, makes no sense. LOL I mean, lots of free vacations schools I would line up before them, like maybe, Miami, Florida, USC, but Arkansas State? LOL So, to be serious, I am not worried that he has not set official to Iowa, like he said, he has already been there a multitude of times, and can get in his car and be there anytime he wants, so as far as I am concerned, nothing to see here.

Arkansas State? Really? I mean, Really? That has to be a misprint, unless it is Proctor's life dream to visit the state of Arkansas. The other schools I can see, but unless Arkansas State can offer this kid a multi million dollar NIL deal, makes no sense. LOL I mean, lots of free vacations schools I would line up before them, like maybe, Miami, Florida, USC, but Arkansas State? LOL So, to be serious, I am not worried that he has not set official to Iowa, like he said, he has already been there a multitude of times, and can get in his car and be there anytime he wants, so as far as I am concerned, nothing to see here.
You may want to actually read info posted before going on a rant or the article quoting Proctor himself.

Reactions: timinatoria
The same SEP guys that were pretty sure (but never claimed to be certain) that Nwankpa was going to choose Iowa say that Proctor is likely going to choose Alabama. FWIW.
While I can't fault him for at least considering Bama, I don't think it will be nearly as an attractive job say 10 years from now when NIL is in full swing. From what I gather, Saban had a closed-door meeting with multiple boosters and expressed his concerns that going forward, they will be losing a lot more recruiting battles because Bama's boosters don't have the clout that boosters of other large schools have (namely the Big Oil schools in Texas, but also Georgia and Florida whose wealthy alumni completely outclass those of Bama). Bama won't fall off the face of the earth, but I can see it having a ceiling like Oklahoma or Oregon (with NIL, maybe Uncle Phil could finally buy himself a natty in his lifetime) where 10 win seasons are the norm, and they could still be in the mix for a playoff berth, but they'll get waxed in the semis because their Top 3 recruiting classes are probably going to be closer to Top 13.

ScottH, just curious. Can you expound on what you know about Ark St or Jonesboro. Ever been there?

Arkansas State? Anywhere in Arkansas is ridiculous.
Can't be serious or maybe just not knowledgeable. Univ of Ark is a good school and in a truly beautiful part of the country. I think Fayetteville, AR is in top 10 best cities to live in.

Can't be serious or maybe just not knowledgeable. Univ of Ark is a good school and in a truly beautiful part of the country. I think Fayetteville, AR is in top 10 best cities to live in.
I was referring to AR State but I am not a fan of AR in general. I know some people go for that area (I have friends who do) but it's not for me.

I was referring to AR State but I am not a fan of AR in general. I know some people go for that area (I have friends who do) but it's not for me.
Fair enough. Too be honest, it's getting too well known. Some say Walton kids are making it their playground.

Cael Vanderbush, Jayden Montgomery last year according to rivals profiles.
Cael Vanderbush I am pretty sure took an OV because I read an article about him and said something about it. Not sure about Montgomery but I don't see that situation as the same as Proctor. Montgomery pretty much didn't have anywhere else to go on Iowa's level. Especially after he got hurt. Proctor is visiting all his top schools except Iowa. Look, he could commit to Iowa, it would just be pretty rare to have someone take all his officials and then commit to the school he didn't take an official too. I just have never seen that.

Ominous sign ..... or he could be playing it crafty. I'm not sure another visit to Iowa is going to change his opinion about the Hawks one way or another. OTOH, it certainly is strange to leave Iowa off the OV list if he is leaning Iowa, My gut tells me it is not good news,
This . For Christ's sake the kids been to Iowa like what 20 times? Is there REALLY anything he would find out on an official visit he hasn't already explored? He's been to numerous games, talked to all the coaches and players he wants to, even former players like his idol Wirfs. Players only get so many officials, and he's most likely going to enjoy as many trips as possible. He probably doesn't see any reason to use one of the five visiting a school he's been to countless times. As for Arkansas state, I imagine he'll enjoy a nice paid trip to see his friend on the schools dime. I wouldn't read anymore into it then that.

Agree. I don’t like Iowa’s chances now. I don’t know if I have ever seen someone go to a school without an OV. Especially using one on a school he will never go to.
What would he gain using one of his five officials on a school he's been to countless times? I think he's going to do some traveling on the schools dime, and he has no reason to use one of the five on a school he can go to literally whenever he wants for no real expense.

He says in the article on HI that he's not using an official on Iowa because he's been to IC over 10 times and can make a weekend unnofficial visit whenever he wants.

Iowa is still very much in play, and is still the leader.
This. Look everybody, the sky is falling...... o_O

This . For Christ's sake the kids been to Iowa like what 20 times? Is there REALLY anything he would find out on an official visit he hasn't already explored? He's been to numerous games, talked to all the coaches and players he wants to, even former players like his idol Wirfs. Players only get so many officials, and he's most likely going to enjoy as many trips as possible. He probably doesn't see any reason to use one of the five visiting a school he's been to countless times. As for Arkansas state, I imagine he'll enjoy a nice paid trip to see his friend on the schools dime. I wouldn't read anymore into it then that.
It wouldn't be the first recruit Iowa lost to Arkansas State.

I understand. However, official visits are a different level of engagement. I don't doubt that Iowa is very much in play. The Hawkeyes may or may not be the leader.... if so, OVs to other contenders - and not Iowa - does not at all help it stay that way. Like I said - bad sign.
There is NO level of engagement he hasn't already been involved with at Iowa. He's had numerous one on ones with all the offensive coaches, with KF, with OL coach, with players, and former players, and he can talk to whatever academics he wants to. I can assure you that KF has made sure he has whatever access he needs. He's been through every part of the facility. He's been to countless games including the big PSU game last season.

Reactions: hawkhorn
I have a buddy who is an assistant coach/lead recruiter at a major D1/P5 school. He once told me he loses sleep at night because the food he puts on the table for his family is dependent on the decisions of 17-18 y/o kids. Told a story about one kid, actually from down my way, who he basically "babysat" for a week. Finally was convinced the kid was fully committed so jumped on a plane and headed out. By the time he touched down back at home, the kid had committed to another school. His parents were divorced and his mom and dad had different favorite schools. That kid is in the NFL now. Coaches lose sleep over this stuff. No need for fans to as well.
Is recruiting important? Absolutely, it's vital. Do I, as adult fan, want to follow it so closely that I get upset when a 17 year old that I don't know picks a different school to attend? No, not worth it. Do I understand why so many grown ups obsess on this? No, it's kind of worrisome actually.

Having said that, I used to travel via airplane for work quite a bit back in the day and just happened to then see various Asst. Coaches for UI coming and going through the Cedar Rapids airport. Sometimes the coach was accompanying a recruit, or two, or three, back to campus.

Without trying to eavesdrop, I couldn't help but see and hear some of the dialogue between a given coach and the recruits given the close quarters on the plane and/or in the waiting area. Some of the youngsters were super cool...others were flat out jerks, prima donnas to the max. I felt sorry for the full grown adult (asst. coach) whose job it was to get those bratty "kids" to attend their university...or else.

Butt kissing and groveling do not begin to describe the behavior on display at times with some of those coaches. I felt like the "kid" needed a spanking right there in the airport. Although at 6'4"ish and 260 pounds of muscle, they would have bent ME in two had I tried to intervene. :) Weird stuff to watch. I feel for the coaches.

What would he gain using one of his five officials on a school he's been to countless times? I think he's going to do some traveling on the schools dime, and he has no reason to use one of the five on a school he can go to literally whenever he wants for no real expense.
Well generally if that schools is your favorite you want to take an OV there. Like I said, maybe he will commit here. I just have never seen a kid take all his OVs at other schools and then commit somewhere else. Take for example Nwankpa. He wasn't going to take an OV to Iowa at first, but then decided they were higher on his list and did take one. This seems to be the opposite.
Either way, best of luck to him.

Still crazy to me that Iowa doesn’t have 4 and 5 star lineman beating down the door to play at Iowa considering their track record.
Because a lot of 4 & 5 * lineman might not always rationally evaluate a decision like this and opt for a school that might not be as good at development, but more flashy and fun? Just a thought.

Also, it's not like a lot of those schools that get the majority of 4&5* guys are horrible at turning out talent either.

Reactions: michael.nelson311
Didn't he say this a few weeks ago. I think so. Does he really need an official? He's spent a lot of time on campus, knows the team, knows the facilities and has had contacts with the coaches.
Yes, he has visited numerous times but official visits are more detailed on the academic front. I don't claim to know what the content of his visits consisted of. It just seems odd that he wouldn't want to make an official visit if Iowa was leading in his recruitment.

The Hawks have a good collection of OL prospects visiting so we will survive without him, but these are the types of that don't come along often in-state.

I posted in another thread,

Given the opportunity, how many posters here (when in high school) wouldn't do the same?

Your list of schools may be different, but if they are paying for your transportation, room and board, why the hell not have some summer fun?

Granted many posters here are in high school, or looking forward to high school and hoping their acne clears up.

• Haha
Reactions: natchrlman
There is NO level of engagement he hasn't already been involved with at Iowa. He's had numerous one on ones with all the offensive coaches, with KF, with OL coach, with players, and former players, and he can talk to whatever academics he wants to. I can assure you that KF has made sure he has whatever access he needs. He's been through every part of the facility. He's been to countless games including the big PSU game last season.

But has he had access to Mary's famous lasagna dinner?

What is the difference between a OV and any other visit Proctor has made to Iowa? Paid meals with room and board?

I posted in another thread,

Given the opportunity, how many posters here (when in high school) wouldn't do the same?

Your list of schools may be different, but if they are paying for your transportation, room and board, why the hell not have some summer fun?

Granted many posters here are in high school, or looking forward to high school and hoping their acne clears up.
or act like it anyway

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT