ADVERTISEMENT

NO ONE WANTS TO WORK ANYMORE

From my observations and experience there's a certain segment that "doesn't want to work".

Young enough to still live with Mommy and Daddy.

I deal with contractors constantly....HVAC/Electricians ect....they simply can't get their apprenticeship positions filled. They'll get a kid and they'll last a week and quit...

Too hot, work too hard ect ect....

Just hear the same thing constantly from the companies I deal with....

Like Gimmered, I think you’re still looking at this backwards.

You see young people quitting and see them as not wanting to work hard. That’s only part of the equation…the truth is they don’t want to work hard in those conditions in that culture/management for that amount of pay.

You show me any job and I guarantee you that they could find people to do it… if the worker is properly incentivized.

If I expected you to do crap work with no benefits in a toxic environment for not even enough per month to afford rent… would you do it?

You are so far off the mark it's kinda funny. They've beaten every bush, job fairs open houses running ads doing everything possible to get people to relocate. $2,000 hiring bonus, $2,000 referral bonus. Dropped the High School/ GED requirement.

We have turned down millions of dollars in new business, dropped lower margin product lines, cut labor intensive products. At one point we were more that $10 million backlogged. We've cut that down to $5 million.
Now I'm not saying they have been perfect. There have been some missteps. But the fact still remains, we've been here doing this for here for 50 years, I've been a part of it for 43. The job is much easier that when I started, the bosses are great compared to days past. It's just much different mindset with the work force to day.

And I think your company is messed up. They're losing millions in new business. They could pay their employees millions more and still make additional profit. Yet they don’t… instead they complain nobody wants to work.

I guarantee if they advertise those 40 jobs at $200k/year they’d be filled real quick.

You see young people quitting and see them as not wanting to work hard. That’s only part of the equation…the truth is they don’t want to work hard in those conditions in that culture/management for that amount of pay.

You show me any job and I guarantee you that they could find people to do it… if the worker is properly incentivized.

If I expected you to do crap work with no benefits in a toxic environment for not even enough per month to afford rent… would you do it?
You would if you didn't have any other options. Which was the economy before a couple milllion people retired simultaneously. If you're a millennial, you've probably never experienced a better job market unless you're committed in some odd profession that hasn't kept up with wages. Shoe is on the other foot for once. Oh noooooo my 401k that won't matter for 30 years is down a little. Oh but now I'm getting a match on a higher wage. This is the best recession ever.

Reactions: goldmom
You would if you didn't have any other options. Which was the economy before a couple milllion people retired simultaneously. If you're a millennial, you've probably never experienced a better job market unless you're committed in some odd profession that hasn't kept up with wages. Shoe is on the other foot for once. Oh noooooo my 401k that won't matter for 30 years is down a little. Oh but now I'm getting a match on a higher wage. This is the best recession ever.
I disagree on that first sentence, and I think we are seeing that play out.

Expenses are so high (rent/medical/gas/childcare) that people can’t make ends meet in many cities for $15-$20/hour. So why bust your ass for 35 hours/week if you can’t pay rent anyway? When you can not work and still be homeless with no medical coverage.

They're getting medical/dental for those positions....start at $18.00 an hr....not bad for High School grads...

They're getting medical/dental for those positions....start at $18.00 an hr....not bad for High School grads...

That’s not good pay. After taxes, etc… that’s like $2300-$2400/month.

Where in Florida are you? What’s average rent there? $2000/month?

That’s not good pay. After taxes, etc… that’s like $2300-$2400/month.

Where in Florida are you? What’s average rent there? $2000/month?
That's good pay for a kid coming out of High School. Not sure what job they'd qualify for that'd pay better.

You take the apprenticeship...still live with Mommy and Daddy and move out when you're fully qualified and getting paid better.

That's good pay for a kid coming out of High School. Not sure what job they'd qualify for that'd pay better.

You take the apprenticeship...still live with Mommy and Daddy and move out when you're fully qualified and getting paid better.
Bro…

Bro...which job has a better opportunity for advancement?

Do your time...advance.
The estimated total pay for a Store Manager at McDonald's is $70,537 per year. This number represents the median, which is the midpoint of the ranges from our proprietary Total Pay Estimate model and based on salaries collected from our users. The estimated base pay is $50,922 per year. The estimated additional pay is $19,614 per year. Additional pay could include cash bonus, commission, tips, and profit sharing. The "Most Likely Range" represents values that exist within the 25th and 75th percentile of all pay data available for this role.

The estimated total pay for a Store Manager at McDonald's is $70,537 per year. This number represents the median, which is the midpoint of the ranges from our proprietary Total Pay Estimate model and based on salaries collected from our users. The estimated base pay is $50,922 per year. The estimated additional pay is $19,614 per year. Additional pay could include cash bonus, commission, tips, and profit sharing. The "Most Likely Range" represents values that exist within the 25th and 75th percentile of all pay data available for this role.
The proportion of Journeyman Electricians in the Electrician career field is much higher than Store Managers in the McDonalds work force. The Pedean guys I know also make bank doing side gigs for private residences in their spare time.

I know what career field I'd choose...

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
The proportion of Journeyman Electricians in the Electrician career field is much higher than Store Managers in the McDonalds work force. The Pedean guys I know also make bank doing side gigs for private residences in their spare time.

There are about 14000 stores in the US. And experience there translates to many other fast food businesses as well as others. There are lots of opportunities everywhere. Someone who has an affinity for dangerous, hard work would do well as an electrician, no doubt. That doesn't mean other paths can't be equally successful.

Who has time for that anymore? Working your way up and proving yourself comes from a time of evil robber barons! This is progressive America. Kids today deserve to go straight into high pay and management without ever breaking a sweat.
You sound like someone who feels entitled to cheap labor.

Reactions: cjr1310

If I had to pick someone from the forum who’d choose managing a McDonalds over being an electrician, it would be Riley. 😂

If I had to pick someone from the forum who’d choose managing a McDonalds over being an electrician, it would be Riley. 😂
I absolutely would. Making $75-80K per year managing a store vs. playing around with electricity, having to climb poles, cold/heat, etc - are you kidding? I would much rather work with people and business strategy than having to do that kind of work.

And I think your company is messed up. They're losing millions in new business. They could pay their employees millions more and still make additional profit. Yet they don’t… instead they complain nobody wants to work.

I guarantee if they advertise those 40 jobs at $200k/year they’d be filled real quick.
I can see math isn't your strong suit, but you can't pay 40 people $200,000, you have to pay the other 250 people the same amount. We area global supplier, and are competing in a global market. Pricing our product out of the market is going to cost the company a hell of a lot more than the 6 million in sales they turned away. That $6 million doesn't even amount to 2 weeks of our total sales. Yes you hate to lose the sales, but it is just a drop in the bucket of what we do there.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk

The Mantra is "No one wants to work anymore!"

I don't understand this common complaint either. It is stupid, and shallow as an insight. It is most certainly an incomplete assessment.

The value of a lot of lower end jobs is going South. Adjusted for inflation, just about everyone in the land has been steadily taking a pay cut. Additionally, there are costs associated simply with having a job: Commuting, clothing, meals at work, and so on and those costs are surging. The differential between take home pay and what is left over from that to spend is rapidly declining ... and at a rate much higher than the much-publicized rate of inflation.

The complete sentence: People do not want to work AT THE EXISTING LEVELs OF PAY.

I will pull into a Wendy's at Midnight, and it will often be closed. It's because people did not show up for work (according to the handwritten sign on the drive through window.) My guess is that they could put an "after 8-PM-surcharge" on every order and at the same time start paying the night shift an extra $2-3 bucks an hour and see a surge in business along with a surge in job applications.

In any event, the fast-food labor market is at present, out of balance and everyone is pretending that this is due to worker laziness.

Last edited:
Expect to hear more of this whiny BS from your FoxNews viewing friends and family members

Who has time for that anymore? Working your way up and proving yourself comes from a time of evil robber barons! This is progressive America. Kids today deserve to go straight into high pay and management without ever breaking a sweat.
The other half of the story is that around late 80's corps figured out that is is cheaper to pay new college grads for a coupleof years than keep around long time employees. Those grads stick around for 2 or 3 years and then take a different job. Then the corps higher a new batch of college grads. Then as the mid nineties early 2000s it was a rearranging of chairs on the Titanic as a generation of people were never able to learn about "loyalty" and "stability". Now 20 years later the kids of that generation are hitting the workforce with absolutely no frame of reference to how it used to work.

The other half of the story is that around late 80's corps figured out that is is cheaper to pay new college grads for a coupleof years than keep around long time employees. Those grads stick around for 2 or 3 years and then take a different job. Then the corps higher a new batch of college grads. Then as the mid nineties early 2000s it was a rearranging of chairs on the Titanic as a generation of people were never able to learn about "loyalty" and "stability". Now 20 years later the kids of that generation are hitting the workforce with absolutely no frame of reference to how it used to work.

I think you were thinking way too deeply about this.

Human beings will typically do what’s in their best interest. And the fact of the matter is that corporations got extremely lazy. The majority of workplaces in this country will only give employees a standard 2-3% raise each year (in line with what you were saying). Why would people continue to take that in a market like this when they can jump jobs and get a 20 or 30% raise?

You can easily double your salary in 10 years if you switch jobs three or so times. If you stick in the same place, you hardly get any increase at all. Employees are doing exactly what the employers are incentivizing them to do.

Well, my 24-year-old niece thinks she should be building her dream home now. She's not sure why she needs to wait. She breads dogs and her husband works nights at UPS. I say, GO FOR IT!

...I built mine when I was 42...she's beating me by a good chunk.

Reactions: Flie
I don't see a lot of pride in work either. I was raised if you're getting paid, you do the job you're paid to do to the best of your ability. I started bagging groceries on my 16th B-day at Publix. Within 6 weeks I was stocking shelves. Within 6-months I was night-shift coordinator. I didn't quit until I joined the Air Force and I liked the company and manager I worked for. I didn't actually "quit" until after my 2nd enlistment, I took military leave keeping the option to return after service.

My no pics wife pics gets on me even at 48 for reliving my glory years every time I get the chance to bag my own groceries. ;)

Last edited:
I don't see a lot of pride in work either. I was raised if you're getting paid, you do the job you're paid to do to the best of your ability. I started bagging groceries on my 16th B-day at Publix. Within 6 weeks I was stocking shelves. Within 6-months I was night-shift coordinator. I didn't quit until I joined the Air Force and I liked the company and manager I worked for. I didn't actually "quit" until after my 2nd enlistment, I took military leave keeping the option to return after service open.

My no pics wife pics on me even at 48 for relieving my glory years every time I get the chance to bag my own groceries. ;)
I think a lot of people who make things or build things or fix things still work with a lot of pride. I think corporations have gotten so bloated with middle management, assessors, assessors for the assessors, paper movers, etc., that there actually ARE a lot of jobs that just feel like doing most of nothing - and then when that job becomes 7-9 hours per day back-to-back on Teams calls only to have to dig through an overfull inbox in the evening or early in the morning, it’s easy to stop, look around and think, WITAF am I even doing here.

You're seeing the manifestation of repeated economic dips damaging careers, preventing people from paying the loans they had to take to enter the modern workforce, an inability to save and/or buy a home, rents outclipping inflation, etc. Wait until they do something about it at the ballot box. They're going to make Obamacare look like childsplay with what they're going to want to socialize.

• Haha

Human beings will typically do what’s in their best interest. And the fact of the matter is that corporations got extremely lazy. The majority of workplaces in this country will only give employees a standard 2-3% raise each year (in line with what you were saying). Why would people continue to take that in a market like this when they can jump jobs and get a 20 or 30% raise?

You can easily double your salary in 10 years if you switch jobs three or so times. If you stick in the same place, you hardly get any increase at all. Employees are doing exactly what the employers are incentivizing them to do.

My salary has doubled over the past 14 years working for the same company. I'm pretty happy with that.

• Haha

Sometimes you have to pay your dues getting those 2-3% raises before getting more substantial raises and promotions. Granted, the company you work for needs to have upward mobility and/or pay grade headroom and you have to make enough money to at least pay for the essentials. Jumping jobs can often get you a short-term boost but there are pros and cons to doing that. If the job market cools down, employers will often favor people who stayed with jobs for more than 2-3 years at a time when doing interviews.

I've been at the same job for 23 years. I made over 5 times my starting salary this past year. I don't think I would have pulled that off if I did a bunch of job hopping early in my career but who knows. A lot of young people basically want to start at that kind of pay now like they are just owed it. I average around 8-9% raise per year. I had several years where I got less than 1 %, many years around 3-4%, and my highest increase was around 24%.

Reactions: EasyHawk
I showed up at the local driving range this past Monday ay 10:30am, and there was no open hitting areas available! Holy shit! And half the ball whackers were under 40! Full driving range in October in Ioway middle of a week day! Doesn’t Anyone work any more?

ADVERTISEMENT