ADVERTISEMENT

No sleeves on frezzing games

hawkaeg80

HR MVP
Dec 28, 2014
Cedar Rapids
I played a lot of football in high school and if the temps were below 32 we had to wear sleeves (never mind that sleeves only protected to a point). We couldn't wear gloves way back when, but had to protect the arms. If what we are told about frostbite is true and skin is in danger of frostbite in like 30 seconds or something that, it seems to me that there would be a lot of frostbite going on the field and in the stands. Of course this is coming from someone who will be participating in the Hawkeye wrestling Artic Plunge this year.

The worst part was how hard the ground was. Late in the season there would be little actual grass for cushion between the hashes, and instead you'd have frozen ridges of concrete-hard mud that'd tear at your skin and leave deep bruises after hitting the ground. Not to mention the total lack of any effective sidelines heating systems leaving your feet and hands basically numb for most of the game, which was kind of a blessing when you'd see how bad your knuckles would be torn up afterwards.

Reactions: CookyMonster
The worst part was how hard the ground was. Late in the season there would be little actual grass for cushion between the hashes, and instead you'd have frozen ridges of concrete-hard mud that'd tear at your skin and leave deep bruises after hitting the ground. Not to mention the total lack of any effective sidelines heating systems leaving your feet and hands basically numb for most of the game.
Yeah. Frozen ground felt like lumpy concrete when you fell on it. That's when you appreciate the padded turf. It was interesting seeing the amount of give/stretch that became apparent on the replay of the Campell interception return along the sideline.

Reactions: CookyMonster
I can’t quite remember where I heard this recently or which famous Defensive player talked about his rookie season and not knowing about the “Tiger Balm” trick. Apparently it’s an old trick, players used to rub Tiger Balm or Vaseline all over for cold games? Can anyone confirm this worked I had never heard of that?!

Minnesota o-line really liked some of Iowa’s d-linemen wearing sleeves, they were pulling on them the entire game.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Never wore them. Seemed like it was easier for the ball to slip out of your arms wearing sleeves

I can’t quite remember where I heard this recently or which famous Defensive player talked about his rookie season and not knowing about the “Tiger Balm” trick. Apparently it’s an old trick, players used to rub Tiger Balm or Vaseline all over for cold games? Can anyone confirm this worked I had never heard of that?!
Yep

Not football, but I guess somewhat related, I was on Hawkeye Marching Band drum line my freshman year, and the sousaphone (tuba) players all wore shorts to every practice, August through December. Post Thanksgiving we were practicing in wind chilled Kinnick for the Gator Bowl and they all had their legs fvcking coated with Vaseline. It was the weirdest thing I’d ever seen. But they were definitely a different breed.

Huh? I have no idea what you guys are talking about. We just rubbed dirt on the open wound.
I do remember my cleats weighed about ten pounds if it was a muddy game.

I played a lot of football in high school and if the temps were below 32 we had to wear sleeves (never mind that sleeves only protected to a point). We couldn't wear gloves way back when, but had to protect the arms. If what we are told about frostbite is true and skin is in danger of frostbite in like 30 seconds or something that, it seems to me that there would be a lot of frostbite going on the field and in the stands. Of course this is coming from someone who will be participating in the Hawkeye wrestling Artic Plunge this year.
More like 30 minutes. If it was 30 seconds you couldn't even walk to a store from your car......And yet Fleck spent the whole game without a hat on his bald head and ears. Dumbass right there....

I have never understood why teams don't better manage the cold for games below freezing.

Research has proven that reaction time is slower when your body is cold, you have a greater risk for injury, and the cold can distract you from focusing.

It seems like you could gain a significant advantage against your opponent if one team can stay warm and the other goes sleeveless in the cold.

Minnesota o-line really liked some of Iowa’s d-linemen wearing sleeves, they were pulling on them the entire game.
More like stepping on them. Giving up 350 yds rushing vs a team that couldn’t complete a forward pass. Awful.

If you are doing the artic plunge then you, my man, are what i call nuts!

I just cannot understand how players are able to do what they do in litterly frezzing temperatures. It sound pretty dangerous to me. But then again these players do it insane things and no one freezes or even gets frostbite.

Reactions: Bishop1971
More like 30 minutes. If it was 30 seconds you couldn't even walk to a store from your car......And yet Fleck spent the whole game without a hat on his bald head and ears. Dumbass right there....
Fleck must be a badass, all he was wearing was his little Peewee Herman Mnnesota outfit
type thing.

I'm not just going to do it, but I am actually excited about it. Then again it's a month away so my insides might turn to jelly the closer it gets. Did I say might? What I should have said is will. Any exciting thing we do always has the jelly stomach feeling. We just have to fight through it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT