ADVERTISEMENT

No thread on the awesome Supreme Court decision today?

There’s nothing “forced” about it. If you don’t want to sign an arbitration agreement, work for an employer that doesn’t require one.

This loses touch with the very important fact that many of the potential employees that this will effect have no idea to ask about the arbitration clause.

Another nail in big union’s coffin...

Thanks, Trump![/QUOTE
and how is that a good thing Trad? Unions came about because of abuses of business and its ownership towards its employees. So you honestly believe this ruling is good for the "working man"? I will guarantee you this ruling benefits management in a big way. But, this is what "we the people" elected,,,I cant say voted for...because they voted for the girl.

Wow, sad that someone is actually excited about this. Yeah, the Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision, with one stolen seat voting with the majority, decides that companies can enforce arbitration clauses.

Yeah, unequal bargaining power, yeah depriving middle class workers of their rights to seek judicial redress.

Maybe if we elect more politicians who have been bought off with Citizens United money, we can give companies more tax breaks and increased constitutional protections. We may even be able to eliminate every other available legal protection for workers.

Cheering for companies - I will never understand that.

The joke is on Trad. When Trump is done/indicted/burning bedded by Melanie he won’t be needed anymore and he will be sacking groceries at a Publix.

Wow, sad that someone is actually excited about this. Yeah, the Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision, with one stolen seat voting with the majority, decides that companies can enforce arbitration clauses.

Yeah, unequal bargaining power, yeah depriving middle class workers of their rights to seek judicial redress.

Maybe if we elect more politicians who have been bought off with Citizens United money, we can give companies more tax breaks and increased constitutional protections. We may even be able to eliminate every other available legal protection for workers.

Cheering for companies - I will never understand that.
Me neither. It is kind of like being a Yankee fan in the early mid 1950's....

Reactions: Doodads and Hoohah
No, it's not. This is why unions would have bankrupted Detroit several times had the government not bailed them out.
The American auto industry struggled for a variety of reasons but unions certainly weren't the prime mover. After all they were out competed in large part by unionized well compensated labor in Japan and Europe. American automakers specialized in gas guzzlers and they were good at making them. When the dollar fell gas prices skyrocketed the Europeans and Japanese were better positioned to take advantage of market changes. The Americans adjusted poorly putting out unappealing poor quality cars. The unions were unrealistic and did not want to adjust to the new realities. They needed to concede some of their benefits particularly their overly generous pensions. The American auto industry lost their market and adjusted poorly.

The American auto industry struggled for a variety of reasons but unions certainly weren't the prime mover. After all they were out competed in large part by unionized well compensated labor in Japan and Europe. American automakers specialized in gas guzzlers and they were good at making them. When the dollar fell gas prices skyrocketed the Europeans and Japanese were better positioned to take advantage of market changes. The Americans adjusted poorly putting out unappealing poor quality cars. The unions were unrealistic and did not want to adjust to the new realities. They needed to concede some of their benefits particularly their overly generous pensions. The American auto industry lost their market and adjusted poorly.

Unions in Europe and Japan don't act like unions in America.

Unions elsewhere collaborate with management to make the company (and the employees) more successful.

Unions in America have an adversarial relationship with management that benefits no one.

Unions elsewhere collaborate with management to make the company (and the employees) more successful.

Unions in America have an adversarial relationship with management that benefits no one.
Agree that the relationship is different. I also think American unions would benefit from learning from foreign unions. I don't think you can lay all of the ills of the auto industry and the more significantly the economy at their feet.

And that’s all the fault of the unions?!? Nothing about union busting and unfair labor practices? Just unions bad, that’s all you got.

Agree that the relationship is different. I also think American unions would benefit from learning from foreign unions. I don't think you can lay all of the ills of the auto industry and the more significantly the economy at their feet.

Here's the deal... if the "Nurses' Union" had a union hall full of nurses who we could call to get a qualified nurse to come in and work a shift, that would be AWESOME.

But no, they don't do that for us.

If labor unions operated more like trade unions, then maybe we could find some common ground.

Reactions: isufan21
Here's the deal... if the "Nurses' Union" had a union hall full of nurses who we could call to get a qualified nurse to come in and work a shift, that would be AWESOME.

But no, they don't do that for us.

If labor unions operated more like trade unions, then maybe we could find some common ground.

So you want a union to serve the corporation. Jesus, I’m glad I don’t work for you.

So you want a union to serve the corporation. Jesus, I’m glad I don’t work for you.

The union is supposed to serve their members. You'd think they'd want them to find work. I have no problem employing union workers. Why don't the unions help us hire them?

Some might say...piss poor management and management decisions were to blame. But it is easier to blame it on the unions and their greed.

Salaries are dictated by supply and demand. Unions distort this. That’s a problem. A big problem.

Wrong. They actually help ensure a more accurate representation of wages and, more importantly, stronger unions would help the growing wealth disparity that is getting dangerously out ofor whack. What I don't like is this decision's crippling effect on class action suits against law breaking businesses who screw their employees.

Wrong. They actually help ensure a more accurate representation of wages and, more importantly, stronger unions would help the growing wealth disparity that is getting dangerously out ofor whack. What I don't like is this decision's crippling effect on class action suits against law breaking businesses who screw their employees.
No one cares about wealth disparity. Until an issue is in the top 2-3 issues, it is pretty much irrelevant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT