ADVERTISEMENT

No way ‘developmental program’ Kirk goes hard at the portal…

This is such an unbelievably ignorant post. You do realize the reason Nebraska beat Iowa was because of transfers? Two wr transfers scored and a transfer qb. There are plenty of good players than can help the Hawkeyes. There are THOUSANDS of players in the portal and all of them are that way? Get a grip dude.
Personally I’d argue that Iowa turnovers, penalties and injuries also played a large role in why we lost that game, as much as those transfers.

This is such an unbelievably ignorant post. You do realize the reason Nebraska beat Iowa was because of transfers? Two wr transfers scored and a transfer qb. There are plenty of good players than can help the Hawkeyes. There are THOUSANDS of players in the portal and all of them are that way? Get a grip dude.
Of what am I ignorant or uninformed? I did not say Iowa should pursue the portal merely because there will be some well-hidden problem children out there. It's like caveat emptor. However as long as it is a rule/law we should pluck for guys that can come in and play right away. I think we have the QB we need on the roster.

So, to answer your question, a qualified yes. Almost every kid that's transferring has a selfish reason at core. Now, by no means am I implying that Iowa should TD a kid just because he did not work out elsewhere. I agree with KF, the core positions should be developed through the program.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was using your words. It made sense.
No, it didn't. Not at all. You made up a strawman argument and came up with a slow-witted alleged "gotcha" response that was essentially a non-sequitur. Try again.

OP in this thread said KF needed to “go hard” at the transfer portal and intimated that a “developmental program” is a bad thing.
Wrong again. Read it. Sounds like OP is frustrated that KF will likely stick to his guns and rely on the development of the players on his roster (which has been successful) and not take advantage of the portal like every other team is doing, some with a lot of success and some not (just like every other aspect of putting together a roster).

With Iowa, I firmly believe we have a developmental program and it has been quite successful. The transfer portal is a quick-fix thing. Heavy reliance on the transfer portal would essentially be moving away from a developmental program mindset and I think it would ultimately be detrimental to the program, even if it was good for a team/season. I’m not saying don’t use the portal, but “go hard at the portal” and move away from a developmental program culture?….. that’s a big no for me.
I really don't disagree with any of this, but I think that roster attrition (excessive injuries, transfers, etc.) has put the program in a situation where they need to plug some holes THIS OFFSEASON, or else they will have a hard time competing next season. I doubt there is a single fan that wants KF to completely change his developmental philosophy and instead rely on a bunch of players being available in the portal every year (which is something you seem to be accusing a lot of fans of).

Alabama just had one of their starting WR (Holden) go and another that was on special teams.

He isn’t going to have a choice. Or he’s going to have to give away those scholarships to walk-ons. We will lose 8+ players before next season is my guess

No, it didn't. Not at all. You made up a strawman argument and came up with a slow-witted alleged "gotcha" response that was essentially a non-sequitur. Try again.

Wrong again. Read it. Sounds like OP is frustrated that KF will likely stick to his guns and rely on the development of the players on his roster (which has been successful) and not take advantage of the portal like every other team is doing, some with a lot of success and some not (just like every other aspect of putting together a roster).

I really don't disagree with any of this, but I think that roster attrition (excessive injuries, transfers, etc.) has put the program in a situation where they need to plug some holes THIS OFFSEASON, or else they will have a hard time competing next season. I doubt there is a single fan that wants KF to completely change his developmental philosophy and instead rely on a bunch of players being available in the portal every year (which is something you seem to be accusing a lot of fans of).

It made sense and was neither a strawman nor a non sequitur. It/I was addressing this thread/the OP. I understand that staying on topic is something this board isn’t used to. Insult me until your heart’s content, I’m quite comfortable with my intellect. I won’t address this silly argument further, but if you have specific questions I’d be happy to help.

Do you think the OP was intending on complimenting KF’s roster construction when they put “developmental program” in quotes? Pretty sure that was not the case.

Is the roster in a significantly different position this off season relative to years past? This is a serious question, I don’t follow closely enough to know that answer. I’m not sure anyone, save for the coaches, actually does but I could be wrong. Unless you can answer this question with a high level of specificity I’m not sure why you’d say the way KF has done things has been successful, yet must change. I’d also be curious to know if any of the programs that have “gone hard” at the portal have achieved sustained success. We saw MSU fall off significantly this year, for instance.

I think it’s important to remember that KF isn’t just the coach of this TEAM, but rather the leader of this PROGRAM. Until his way of doing things leads to something other than sustained success I’m inclined to trust his decision making.

Reactions: AlvySinger and F5n5
I think he will give it some lip service, but he is loyal to a fault and won’t disenfranchise those that committed to the Hawks. IMO
images

Bishop1971 with the Alabama receiver not being a take and going to Oregon, are you still confident in the portal? I just feel like we will be disappointed in only getting Cade and have noone to throw him the ball. We had 3 visitors this past weekend and haven't heard anything from any of them. They have 2 coming in this weekend in Anderson and the DB from Harvard. Any good news to share that you have heard? Appreciate your inside info.

I’m going with the under on this one
Well right now they have a QB, likely a TE that is 2. They have offered and are getting visits from two WRs, they had a LB visit and a CB is coming to visit as well. That is 6 transfers in on visits in the first couple weeks. I would say they have a good shot at landing 5 of those. The Nebraska LB will be tougher because I think some big schools are going to come after him.

Bishop1971 with the Alabama receiver not being a take and going to Oregon, are you still confident in the portal? I just feel like we will be disappointed in only getting Cade and have noone to throw him the ball. We had 3 visitors this past weekend and haven't heard anything from any of them. They have 2 coming in this weekend in Anderson and the DB from Harvard. Any good news to share that you have heard? Appreciate your inside info.
Bishop was right on everyone so far, didn’t expect Holden

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT