ADVERTISEMENT

No way ‘developmental program’ Kirk goes hard at the portal…

OP is taking a shot at the “developmental program” nature of Iowa and KF, which is ridiculous considering the sustained success it has yielded. If you don’t think the “developmental program” has been successful, I don’t know what to tell you.

I’m simply pointing out the obvious, yet almost exclusively overlooked, reality of the portal. It is not a panacea.
You’ve apparently lost your cable or electricity the past 5 years. Iowa has had arguably the worst offense of any power 5 program over the past 5 years. He relied on his offensive line recruits, and his son’s ‘coaching’ with a terrible QB and offensive line….because we won 10 games last year.

Reactions: kcgolfer
Usually the bad programs are dependent on transfers (See Nebraska). Good teams are selective and use them to fill a gap or two.
Not in today’s college football. USC brought in a ton of players and they’re on the cusp of the playoff. It is no longer about good or bad programs. It’s about smart and dumb.

You’ve apparently lost your cable or electricity the past 5 years. Iowa has had arguably the worst offense of any power 5 program over the past 5 years. He relied on his offensive line recruits, and his son’s ‘coaching’ with a terrible QB and offensive line….because we won 10 games last year.
Brian needs to go and transfers usually don’t lead to immediate or sustained success. Two different things.

Reactions: AlvySinger
Not in today’s college football. USC brought in a ton of players and they’re on the cusp of the playoff. It is no longer about good or bad programs. It’s about smart and dumb.
They did, but two things. One, they had to have a lot of transfers in because they had 21 transfers out from the start of the 2021 season until the start of 2022. And two, their best transfer and biggest reason for their success followed Lincoln Riley from Oklahoma. Less of a transfer portal recruiting success story and more of a solid coaching hire.

USC is a bit different considering many came over with their coach.

Looking at the Portal data from 2019-2020 and 202-20221 there were 1,695 FBS players entered in the portal in 2020 and 3,085 players in 2021-2022. That is out of roughly 13,000 D1 and D2 players or roughly 1/4 of all scholarship football players. Approximately, 50% of the Portal players were signed to a new scholarship or roughly 11 players per each of 131 D1 teams. Obviously, this is a violent shakeup of the entire recruiting and retention process particularly for traditional "Development Programs". Now every team in D1 and D2 are developing players that may be attractive to teams trying to feel a gap in their recruiting due to injury, graduation or the Portal. The previous virtues of stability of a program and loyalty of players to their position coaches and school will certainly be less of an incentive for players of all skill levels. We may be entering an era of "one year scholarship contracts" with/without renewals!

OP is taking a shot at the “developmental program” nature of Iowa and KF, which is ridiculous considering the sustained success it has yielded. If you don’t think the “developmental program” has been successful, I don’t know what to tell you.

I’m simply pointing out the obvious, yet almost exclusively overlooked, reality of the portal. It is not a panacea.
I don't know if you're trying to sound cool using my own words back at me, but it was a major fail, because it made no sense. Nowhere did I say that KF's developmental philosophy hasn't served him well. Very few Iowa fans want a dozen portal transfers every year or think that it's a panacea (another cool word; you've used it twice now), but it is clear that Iowa will need to plug some holes with multiple ready-to-go players at key positions if they want to be competitive next season. Your graph suggests that relying on the portal is bad, but that's misleading, because every team's situation is different, and if Iowa keeps losing all these players that they "develop," then they're going to have to figure out how to replace them with someone other than a bunch of walk-ons.

Usually good teams have offenses and after 2 years of bullshit on O all options need to be on the table. Funny how Nebraska is always brought up for teams using transfers but tcu had 10 and that has worked out OK for them. We all know KF will never be dependent on them but I'd say given the needs Iowa has 4-6 in the right spots would be helpful

Transfer portal is good for band-aide fixes. You can also look at Sparty who brought in a bunch of transfers last year and it worked brilliantly. This year? Not so much.

Transfers are good for quick fixes and to fill places of needs, but difficult to build a successful program by relying on them year after year.

I'm willing to bet that has a lot to do with USC signing annual top 10 classes than it does the transfer portal.

For every USC success story there's also a Nebraska or a Michigan State who are both currently floundering with their massive amounts of transfers.

And for the record, I don’t consider Iowa Western or community colleges or the like to be “real” transfers. I don’t really consider Mids (MAC, FCS) to be real transfers either. P5 to P5 are real transfers.
I disagree. There are a lot of studs in group of 5 conferences or FCS who may have slipped under the radar in their original recruitment for one reason or another, and now have enough film to get a shot at a power 5 school and have that kind of ability. There are a lot of good players at these levels, and some have the work ethic to become great.

While I agree KF will probably never take a transfer QB I can see him going hard after offensive linemen. The D backfield returns a lot of talent but no depth. The O line needs better players to create some depth and push the starters to work harder, they do not look like a hard working, well prepared line.

While I agree KF will probably never take a transfer QB I can see him going hard after offensive linemen. The D backfield returns a lot of talent but no depth. The O line needs better players to create some depth and push the starters to work harder, they do not look like a hard working, well prepared line.
I'll be very, very surprised if we don't take a transfer QB.

You know what you get with a transfer, virtually every transfer? Somebody else's problem.

Unless there's been a coaching change you get a player you know doesn't keep their word, is disloyal to those who had confidence in him/her and the teammates that relied on him/her and prioritizes personal opportunity over other values like loyalty, credibility and stability. Could you ever really trust someone that left somewhere else? Fully?

I disagree. There are a lot of studs in group of 5 conferences or FCS who may have slipped under the radar in their original recruitment for one reason or another, and now have enough film to get a shot at a power 5 school and have that kind of ability. There are a lot of good players at these levels, and some have the work ethic to become great.
My point is, players in the MAC (Northern Illinois) or FCS (Northern Iowa) coming to P5 is like going from the minors to the majors. I view that as different than P5 to P5.

There are several dozen FBS players in the NFL that didn't come from a P5 school. They are out there and now more mobile than at any time previously.

You know what you get with a transfer, virtually every transfer? Somebody else's problem.

Unless there's been a coaching change you get a player you know doesn't keep their word, is disloyal to those who had confidence in him/her and the teammates that relied on him/her and prioritizes personal opportunity over other values like loyalty, credibility and stability. Could you ever really trust someone that left somewhere else? Fully?

That's a very cynical viewpoint of the transfer portal, and one I don't feel reflects the current status of the transfer portal. When it was much harder for players to transfer - often requiring them to sit out a year before playing, I think your view would have been much more accurate.

Was Charlie Jones or Tyrone Tracy "problems" here at Iowa? No, but they both went to Purdue because they both felt that program offered them a better chance to better show what they can do, and in Jones' case, likely turned himself into a draft pick by doing so.

I don't know if you're trying to sound cool using my own words back at me, but it was a major fail, because it made no sense. Nowhere did I say that KF's developmental philosophy hasn't served him well. Very few Iowa fans want a dozen portal transfers every year or think that it's a panacea (another cool word; you've used it twice now), but it is clear that Iowa will need to plug some holes with multiple ready-to-go players at key positions if they want to be competitive next season. Your graph suggests that relying on the portal is bad, but that's misleading, because every team's situation is different, and if Iowa keeps losing all these players that they "develop," then they're going to have to figure out how to replace them with someone other than a bunch of walk-ons.
Yeah, I was using your words. It made sense. Also I think I said panacea more than twice. I don’t know another word for “cure all”.

OP in this thread said KF needed to “go hard” at the transfer portal and intimated that a “developmental program” is a bad thing. I agree that every team’s situation is different. With Iowa, I firmly believe we have a developmental program and it has been quite successful. The transfer portal is a quick-fix thing. Heavy reliance on the transfer portal would essentially be moving away from a developmental program mindset and I think it would ultimately be detrimental to the program, even if it was good for a team/season. I’m not saying don’t use the portal, but “go hard at the portal” and move away from a developmental program culture?….. that’s a big no for me.

Unless you're Kirk Ferentz. Then desperate times call for doing the same thing you've done for 24 years. Desperate measures are for dopes. That's KF's motto.

Captain Kirk: "Iceberg? What iceberg? Full speed ahead."
I think we have different definitions of “desperate”.

17 wins in two years? There are no icebergs. More like we’re on the interstate and realized our exit is coming up faster than we realized. We can simply take the next exit and course correct or, like many posters seem to be espousing, we can sling the wheel 360 degrees, pray that we don’t kill ourselves or someone else, and best case scenario arrive ten minutes earlier than we otherwise would have.

I think we have different definitions of “desperate”.

17 wins in two years? There are no icebergs. More like we’re on the interstate and realized our exit is coming up faster than we realized. We can simply take the next exit and course correct or, like many posters seem to be espousing, we can sling the wheel 360 degrees, pray that we don’t kill ourselves or someone else, and best case scenario arrive ten minutes earlier than we otherwise would have.
I'd use the analogy of having a good reliable car that has been well-maintained, but could probably do with an overhaul.

KF is I believe 11-9 in his last 20 games and one of those wins (and barely) was against an FCS program.

Reactions: Chekster1
Game has changed too much for Kirk. Offense dominates, hoping the opposing offense is bad and will make mistakes is only beating bad teams, which is all we can beat now. Hope Barta keeps his in with the Big 10 schedule maker. He takes care of us, otherwise it's 4-8 or worse.
Yes you're right. We only played the top 2 teams in the B1O and 2 of the top 5 in the nation and everyone else in the West division. Yep, he sure took care of us!!!

This is such an unbelievably ignorant post. You do realize the reason Nebraska beat Iowa was because of transfers? Two wr transfers scored and a transfer qb. There are plenty of good players than can help the Hawkeyes. There are THOUSANDS of players in the portal and all of them are that way? Get a grip dude.

Can you comment more on this statement?
Sure. The post I directly replied to said:

”…Hope Barta keeps his in with the Big 10 schedule maker. He takes care of us, otherwise it's 4-8 or worse.”

That tells me the poster I responded to was implying that Iowa needs help with the B1G schedule in order to avoid 4-8 or worse seasons. This year wasn’t great, but it was far from ”4-8 or worse” and Iowa certainly did not get a gift draw on the crossover schedule (the only part that varies from year to year), hosting #2 and playing at #5 in the country.

So I threw out the sarcastic comment, that I thought would be obvious with the facepalm emoji.

Reactions: PTHAWK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT