ADVERTISEMENT

No, We Are Not the National Laughingstock

markfromj

HR Legend
Sep 1, 2004
Sirius XM 84 (ESPNU Radio); 8 am CDT today: Rick Neuhisel (sic?) and another guy (don't think it was Barrett Sallee, but maybe). Start the show with quick 2 minute run down of big games this weekend, listing Iowa-OSU last of 6 games. Then, for next 15 minutes, they talk about Iowa-OSU, mostly Iowa, and mostly complimentary (Kirk nicest guy, Kirk great coach, our D is great, Phil Parker is great, reference to Hayden and Kirk since 1979, and solid program just keeps motoring on). Now, there was negative talk of Petras and our O and Brian. But, overall, it is great (and amazing to me) that this was what they thought their national audience wanted to hear, and great exposure for the program. It is better to suck and be talked about rather than to suck and be ignored. We have earned some level of national interest, and that is on Kirk.

So, a couple guys who have been ripping Iowa left and right for weeks were told to tone it down this week because they wanted the nation to hear all these good things about the team OSU is going to crush Saturday, and you interpret that as Iowa not being a national laughing stock and good exposure for them...

So, a couple guys who have been ripping Iowa left and right for weeks were told to tone it down this week because they wanted the nation to hear all these good things about the team OSU is going to crush Saturday, and you interpret that as Iowa not being a national laughing stock and good exposure for them...
Just to go through life this way...no thanks....

Yeah, have to try and make it actually look like a contest…

What is that line from ‘Animal House’ about going through life fat, dumb and stupid?
life-advice-scolded.gif

Sirius XM 84 (ESPNU Radio); 8 am CDT today: Rick Neuhisel (sic?) and another guy (don't think it was Barrett Sallee, but maybe). Start the show with quick 2 minute run down of big games this weekend, listing Iowa-OSU last of 6 games. Then, for next 15 minutes, they talk about Iowa-OSU, mostly Iowa, and mostly complimentary (Kirk nicest guy, Kirk great coach, our D is great, Phil Parker is great, reference to Hayden and Kirk since 1979, and solid program just keeps motoring on). Now, there was negative talk of Petras and our O and Brian. But, overall, it is great (and amazing to me) that this was what they thought their national audience wanted to hear, and great exposure for the program. It is better to suck and be talked about rather than to suck and be ignored. We have earned some level of national interest, and that is on Kirk.
I live in SEC country and can tell you Iowa is a very well respected program by 99% of people I interact with.
That’s not to say the offense or nepotism issues are not legit criticisms. However, let’s have a little perspective and appreciate how good Iowa football has been for the better part of 40 years.

I live in SEC country and can tell you Iowa is a very well respected program by 99% of people I interact with.
That’s not to say the offense or nepotism issues are not legit criticisms. However, let’s have a little perspective and appreciate how good Iowa football has been for the better part of 40 years.
My interactions with a few Georgians have been pretty similar, although they usually bring up Hayden Fry lol.

Just to go through life this way...no thanks....
Not sure what this means. I am brutally honest about the Iowa FB program, but my life is just fine. I’m not sure the naive and unicorns & rainbows approach is any better. If my kids had done as poorly in school as the offensive coaches are at their jobs, they would not have gotten blind praise.

There is no such thing as bad publicity!!

Ladies and gentlemen the spin Dr is in the house.

I'm a regular listener to Cover 3 and The College Football Experience national podcasts. On a regular basis, both continue to rip apart Iowa. Listen to the episodes dated right after the Michigan and Illinois games...🤓

National Fox spotlight game Saturday morning. Good publicity?
Yeah, we'll see, I guess.

Not sure what this means. I am brutally honest about the Iowa FB program, but my life is just fine. I’m not sure the naive and unicorns & rainbows approach is any better. If my kids had done as poorly in school as the offensive coaches are at their jobs, they would not have gotten blind praise.
“So, a couple guys who have been ripping Iowa left and right for weeks were told to tone it down this week..”

You know this how?

When you have a program that consistently wins throughout the years (not NC type winning but consistently winning seasons with a few breakthrough years) you are going to get those that want to thrash you a bit when you are down and it is way to easy for those in the media to make it a talking point. We are a bit of an easy target right now but, this too shall pass.

When you have a program that consistently wins throughout the years (not NC type winning but consistently winning seasons with a few breakthrough years) you are going to get those that want to thrash you a bit when you are down and it is way to easy for those in the media to make it a talking point. We are a bit of an easy target right now but, this too shall pass.
Is it just about being down, or is it about being down and doing absolutely nothing to change our fortune? I believe it is the latter.

Reactions: hawkeye_power
Is it just about being down, or is it about being down and doing absolutely nothing to change our fortune? I believe it is the latter.
Good question. I guess I would say either way you are going to have people take a swipe at you. And it does go beyond the performance on the field. If someone doesn't like the coach, etc., then there is bound to be piling on as well. It does not bother me. I would rather have this every once and awhile than to be a consistently .500 or under program. Some people just like to want the "Iowas" of the world stay in their box. As far as doing nothing to change our fortune, if you are right, that would be disturbing for sure. I just don't know enough about the specifics of what is/isn't going on behind closed doors.

I'm a regular listener to Cover 3 and The College Football Experience national podcasts. On a regular basis, both continue to rip apart Iowa. Listen to the episodes dated right after the Michigan and Illinois games...🤓
Yeah but at least half the guys on that channel are fans of other Big Ten programs, so they will go out of their way to rip on Iowa, when given the chance.

They have hated watching Iowa have more success than their favorite teams in recent years, and it clearly shows.

I mean....I applaud your optimism. It's probably what most Hawk fans need right now; but, this team (50% of it) is bad, bad. Like, historically awful. It's an absolute train wreck on offense. There isn't a single bright spot on offense and they are going to get absolutely murdered by OSU. Yes, Iowa has some level of 'street cred' if you will due to a history of exhilarating upsets of top 10 squads over the years...but you had to know that it was eventually going to catch up with them. Change isn't only needed, its required. And yes, they are a national laughing stock.

No, we're still laughing stock.
From Andy Staples' college football Q&A in today's The Athletic.

Why haven’t y’all realized that the only reason Iowa’s defense and special teams are good is because they’ve been conditioned that way? They know they have to yield nothing, force turnovers, and score touchdowns. If the offensive got semi-competent, they’d lose 29-26 instead of 9-6. — Patrick

This is an amazing spin on Iowa’s horrific offense, and it’s the rhetoric I’d immediately start using if I were a member of the Ferentz family.

WE’RE NOT TERRIBLE ON OFFENSE BECAUSE WE’RE BAD AT COACHING OFFENSE. WE’RE SACRIFICING POINTS TO THE FOOTBALL GODS SO OUR DEFENSE AND SPECIAL TEAMS CAN BE ELITE. YOU SHOULD BE THANKING US.

Patrick, I think you have a bright future either in public relations or politics.

If given the chance, I think Bud Elliott would punch Barta, KF, and BF in the throat.

The frustration shown by these individuals, in my opinion, is done out of respect knowing the opportunity that has been wasted.

No, we're still laughing stock.
From Andy Staples' college football Q&A in today's The Athletic.

Why haven’t y’all realized that the only reason Iowa’s defense and special teams are good is because they’ve been conditioned that way? They know they have to yield nothing, force turnovers, and score touchdowns. If the offensive got semi-competent, they’d lose 29-26 instead of 9-6. — Patrick

This is an amazing spin on Iowa’s horrific offense, and it’s the rhetoric I’d immediately start using if I were a member of the Ferentz family.

WE’RE NOT TERRIBLE ON OFFENSE BECAUSE WE’RE BAD AT COACHING OFFENSE. WE’RE SACRIFICING POINTS TO THE FOOTBALL GODS SO OUR DEFENSE AND SPECIAL TEAMS CAN BE ELITE. YOU SHOULD BE THANKING US.

Patrick, I think you have a bright future either in public relations or politics.

Patrick can eat a bag of moldy dog treats......

Yes, we are a national laughing stock and you should be ashamed of it.....

Ironic because if you listen to the show all the time like me, you’d know Neuheisel has shredded Iowa all fall- particularly the offense. He’s even asked many guests about it all fall.

That show, Full Ride, has made a mockery of Iowas offense all year. Stop trying to sugar coat stuff.

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and acts like a duck, it’s probably a duck.

ADVERTISEMENT