ADVERTISEMENT

No, We Are Not the National Laughingstock

I think most of the National sports press likes and admires Kirk. At the same time they wonder (a) Why he was allowed to name his son OC and then QB coach, and (b) How in the world was he allowed to keep those positions given the results achieved. So yes, we currently are a laughing stock in the eyes of the college football media.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess
The program overall definitely is not a laughing stock (just looking at it over the years).

The offense, however, is. The whole KF/BF deal isn't a good look when you have an offense ranked dead last nationally.

So however you want to look at it, it's not great publicity right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Mary was overheard asking Kirk " what do you think of all the criticism on Hawkeye Report" to which Kirk replyed while flipping the bird "they can suck a big fat one, Mary"!

]

Reactions: pink shizzle
“So, a couple guys who have been ripping Iowa left and right for weeks were told to tone it down this week..”

You know this how?
Because I listen every week and their tone suddenly changed this week. Makes the most sense, and certainly makes more sense than the nonsense you posted.

When you have a program that consistently wins throughout the years (not NC type winning but consistently winning seasons with a few breakthrough years) you are going to get those that want to thrash you a bit when you are down and it is way to easy for those in the media to make it a talking point. We are a bit of an easy target right now but, this too shall pass.
It's not just the "not winning" though. The talking goes to (lack of ) production, OC ineptitude, nepotism, etc...not exactly the publicity you want to attract talent.

Good question. I guess I would say either way you are going to have people take a swipe at you. And it does go beyond the performance on the field. If someone doesn't like the coach, etc., then there is bound to be piling on as well. It does not bother me. I would rather have this every once and awhile than to be a consistently .500 or under program. Some people just like to want the "Iowas" of the world stay in their box. As far as doing nothing to change our fortune, if you are right, that would be disturbing for sure. I just don't know enough about the specifics of what is/isn't going on behind closed doors.
Lol, what could possibly be going on behind closed doors? It’s fvcking obvious to anyone with a set of eyes that our qb is the worst in all of college football and the head coach refuses to make a change. It’s unfvckingbelievable.

Because I listen every week and their tone suddenly changed this week. Makes the most sense, and certainly makes more sense than the nonsense you posted.
The answer is to not listen to any of these radio shows or be on any type of social media. These guys and girls do not know any more or any less than the average fan, yet many tune in to hear their opinions. Just ask Herbstreit for his pick in the BIG West this year. (Nebraska) He has made so many stupid picks over the years I am not sure why anyone would put any credence in anything he says. I gave up watching gameday years ago. Just a bunch of wind bags who like to hear themselves talk.

The answer is to not listen to any of these radio shows or be on any type of social media. These guys and girls do not know any more or any less than the average fan, yet many tune in to hear their opinions. Just ask Herbstreit for his pick in the BIG West this year. (Nebraska) He has made so many stupid picks over the years I am not sure why anyone would put any credence in anything he says. I gave up watching gameday years ago. Just a bunch of wind bags who like to hear themselves talk.
I agree with pretty much all of this. I listen for entertainment while in the car. I don’t consider these guys to have expert opinions, but they do have influence whether they deserve it or not.

everybody is ready for the beatdown that is a 99.9 % certainty. but there is that .01% chance that the hawks do what they did to ohio state in 2017. doubtful, but it makes for good conversation.

All I know is that both All Sports radio stations here in Dallas have goofed on Iowa several times this season....normally, they are very rarely mentioned at all. They ARE a national joke...please don't attempt to minimize this.

Honest ?…have you ever actually listened to Cover 3 or SZD (especially a Steven Godfrey solo episode)? Because those guys absolutely know way more about CFB than the average fan. They’re well-connected across the sport and actually do real analysis.

We agree on the Gameday guys. They get paid for their faces at this point.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
The program overall definitely is not a laughing stock (just looking at it over the years).

The offense, however, is. The whole KF/BF deal isn't a good look when you have an offense ranked dead last nationally.

So however you want to look at it, it's not great publicity right now.
I changed my mind.

Yes we are.

When you see "Iowa sucks" signs at other games, that speaks volumes. We're getting national attention now, for all the wrong reasons.

• Love
Yes, Iowa is a laughing stock.

"The fact is, Iowa should be peppered with questions every week and shamed into changing not only the offense, but the entire culture there. If this was anywhere else in America, this performance alone would be a fireable offense. Again, if the fans are content with mediocrity, just admit it; The rest of the country will gladly say good riddance. Have fun until 2029, when Kirk Ferentz’s contract runs out."

"It’s time for someone to intervene and take Iowa football games off of American television airwaves until further notice."

Reactions: Irvin 88
Sirius XM 84 (ESPNU Radio); 8 am CDT today: Rick Neuhisel (sic?) and another guy (don't think it was Barrett Sallee, but maybe). Start the show with quick 2 minute run down of big games this weekend, listing Iowa-OSU last of 6 games. Then, for next 15 minutes, they talk about Iowa-OSU, mostly Iowa, and mostly complimentary (Kirk nicest guy, Kirk great coach, our D is great, Phil Parker is great, reference to Hayden and Kirk since 1979, and solid program just keeps motoring on). Now, there was negative talk of Petras and our O and Brian. But, overall, it is great (and amazing to me) that this was what they thought their national audience wanted to hear, and great exposure for the program. It is better to suck and be talked about rather than to suck and be ignored. We have earned some level of national interest, and that is on Kirk.
Iowa is a respected program, which is why we’re getting the unwanted attention. Having an offense so offensive is raising a lot of eyebrows.

Iowa is a respected program. Fans of other programs aren’t laughing anymore, they see what we see, a coach tearing a program apart.

Usually it takes months, if not years, for a thread not to age well. This one did it in a few days.

ADVERTISEMENT