ADVERTISEMENT

--Noah Fant officially declares for the NFL Draft--

Not playing in bowl game per World Herald.

One of my favorite Hawks and the Omaha connection was just gravy. Beating Nebraska every year of his career was nice for him. Local radio will be featuring this today, although they are usually insufferable.

Last edited:
I glad I put money on my prediction a few weeks ago (about him not playing in the bowl game).

Not surprised he isn't playing in the bowl game. Seems like there have been some rumors for awhile about that. I don't have a problem with it either. Hope he is a top ten draft pick.

Some folks will be mad, but if he were my son I'd have a hard time making a logical argument to play in a bowl game. The risk of losing hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars to injury is too great to risk playing in a bowl game between two 8-4 teams. I'm not sympathetic to the "he needs to finish what he started" argument as has done that. Good PR for the Hawkeyes to have a guy taken on the first day of the draft if that happens.

While I can't relate to his situation because I never played D1 or have had an opportunity to take a several million dollar contract I have mixed feelings about him not finishing out the season.

I get the risks involved and I have no problem with him declaring early but you work so hard with your brothers and then leave with one game left. That doesn't sit right but I think most of his teammates would appreciate his decision either way.

On the bright side this gives us a month of bowl prep without Fant so we should be prepared.

His message in his tweet is well thought out and very nice, I suggest that plan on hating him for this to read it before jumping to conclusions. It’s pretty clear he loved his time as a Hawkeye but is ready for his future. When you were in college your dream job came by and offered you a million dollars don’t you think you’d take it?

Reactions: ClarindaA's
So turns out he really isn't a team player and it is all about the money. All business, next man in and good luck to you.

He’s a piece of shit. This sitting out bowl games trend is pathetic. Lost tons of respect for him. Knew he was a punk
Can you guys give a quick summation of a scenario in your lives where you've risked millions of dollars for the opportunity to play 60 more minutes of a game? I look forward to your responses. I'm also assuming you've never changed careers before as well, correct?

Good for Noah, was a hell of a player and never embarrassed the University.

Are you kidding? There is no way that I would play a bowl game and take a chance on losing a million dollars. I have not liked everything that has happened with Fant. But he is a a Hawkeye for life and a darn good football player. Go get the money!

Reactions: Stormn Norman
Nothing wrong with Fants decision at all.. He’s showed great class, skill and sportsmanship as Hawk even with his playing time situation and the Hawks underachieving with the opportunities they had this year.. He’s done all he could do as a college football player & he could have done more given the opportunity.. Good Luck Noah. Here to hoping T J don’t get a NFL itch, i can’t imagine it’s not developing thou.

Here's what Noah's tweet says if you can't read it on your phone, etc. It's a pretty well-written statement.

Dear Hawkeye Nation,

First and foremost I want to thank God for his continued blessings - without him no opportunities offered would be possible.

Thank you Hawkeye Nation - I've been blessed to play for the University of Iowa - in Kinnick - in front of the best fans in the nation - who have shown unending love and support.

After multiple discussions with my family, coaches, and a lot of prayer, I have decided to forego the remainder of my eligibility and declare for the 2019 NFL Draft.

Thank you Football and Academic support staff - for pushing me to heights that I never thought were possible. The lessons you've helped me learn will carry with me throughout life, helping me achieve success no matter what I'm doing.

Thank you Coach Ferentz and Coach Doyle, for the opportunity and the honor to represent the black and gold - for helping me grow physically and mentally - more than I thought possible.

Thank you to my position coaches, Coach LeVar Woods and Coach Brian Ferentz, for being instrumental in my development on and off the field.

I am truly grateful for the opportunities that all of you have given me. I know with all of my heart that the University of Iowa was the program meant for me.

Since the very first time I put on a pair of football pads as a child, it was been my dream to play in the NFL. I am very excited for what the future holds and extremely humbled by the amazing opportunity in front of me. I will always bleed the black and gold and forever be a Hawkeye.

Thank you Hawkeye Nation! #GoHawks

Noah Fant, #87

If he skips the bowl, does that mean he's leaving the team and losing use of facilities/training resources and staff? Kind of weird if he stays around training next to the guys prepping for the bowl.

If he skips the bowl, does that mean he's leaving the team and losing use of facilities/training resources and staff? Kind of weird if he stays around training next to the guys prepping for the bowl.

Yeah, from other guys that have done it, they basically leave school after the semester is over and go train somewhere with professional trainers to get ready for the combine.

Yes, I believe there are facilities that a lot of seniors go to after the season that specialize in prepping players for the combine. I would guess they are fronted money by their agents to pay for this training and then pay it back once drafted.

Best of luck, great player. Feel like he was a bit of a distraction however. Also this quitting on your team before bowl games is BS.

Reactions: ctghawk and mrF6n6
ADVERTISEMENT