ADVERTISEMENT

Noah Fant

Team value and merchandise sales might just speak otherwise. Being America's Team means the needle moves nationally when Jerry farts. Most other franchises can't move the needle even when playing well.

Well, then I'll give them credit for the marketing genius of having to buy 5 of anything to feel valuable.

Team value and merchandise sales might just speak otherwise. Being America's Team means the needle moves nationally when Jerry farts. Most other franchises can't move the needle even when playing well.
If you are going to spend all your free time away from family and friends on an Iowa Hawkeye message board, the least you can do is stay on topic. If you want to push 4 catch Chase Allen for the Heisman Trophy, now is your chance. Remember, you are not too bright, but you could probably make a case for Allen for Heisman if you also believe Allen is a superior TE to Fant, or Hockenson, or Beyer, or Wieting, or Cook for that matter.

If you are going to spend all your free time away from family and friends on an Iowa Hawkeye message board, the least you can do is stay on topic. If you want to push 4 catch Chase Allen for the Heisman Trophy, now is your chance. Remember, you are not too bright, but you could probably make a case for Allen for Heisman if you also believe Allen is a superior TE to Fant, or Hockenson, or Beyer, or Wieting, or Cook for that matter.
I stayed on the topic that I replied to. I realize how tough it is on some hawk fans when the sun breaks through their clouded world.

Last I checked, all B12 teams have them

You better check again slick. Texas Tech (the only roster I checked) has 0 tight ends on the roster. 2nd team all conference in a conference that only has a handful of teams that use a tight end is nothing to boast about.

Reactions: Harbinger273
When folks get frustrated and got nothing, or are just plain immature, they result to name calling.

28flip.gif

An all conference TE is 5th string at Iowa......I love it!
I am not so sure where he would fall on Iowa’s depth chart now that I think about it. Probably 5th or 6th. But if he only had 4 receptions all year long, and was 2nd team all big 12 in the coaches pole, he must be a decent blocker. I would think his best chance to see the field in a Hawkeye uniform would be on the kickoff return team. I bet he could excel in that role here at Iowa.

Fant dropped a few passes last year though. That has to stop. The chains must move.

Even with that being true no other TE has had the attributes and physical tools that he possesses.. but yep be nice if he’d haul them all in.. that’s even more scary about his future is that he hasn’t even come close to reaching his full potential.. imagine when he becomes a good pass catcher to boot..

Reactions: Hawkdome
Even with that being true no other TE has had the attributes and physical tools that he possesses.. but yep be nice if he’d haul them all in.. that’s even more scary about his future is that he hasn’t even come close to reaching his full potential.. imagine when he becomes a good pass catcher to boot..

I wouldn't be surprised if Fant is a preseason All American.

The hard cold reality is that ISU is going 4-8 this year because they have a grand total of 2 guys who would even play on upper half teams of the Big Ten or Big XII.
Knowing our luck one of the 4 wins will be against us.

The hard cold reality is that ISU is going 4-8 this year because they have a grand total of 2 guys who would even play on upper half teams of the Big Ten or Big XII.
Nice post......do you even know 4 players on ISU's roster? Probably not, but pay no mind as it is typical for a hawk fan to vomit with very little knowledge of the facts.

You say you'd rather have Chase Allen at TE than Fant, and then say it's the other guy with 'very little knowledge of the facts.' Rich.
I am not surprised that some folks here don't understand system fit. Good thing others with a bit more knowledge do.

I am not surprised that some folks here don't understand system fit. Good thing others with a bit more knowledge do.

Haha, right, I forgot. It's the "we need a TE who will produce basically zero catches, zero yards and zero TDs and will let our RB take more hits than any other RB in America" system. Brilliant.

Last edited:
Reactions: lonesomedove

Understand fit completely. Watching Allen this year he did an admirable job pass blocking but he himself even said he got tired of being pushed around and has now added another 20 pounds to his frame. At 220-225 there is no way he was able to move most DE’s in the run game. Can’t believe YOU don’t understand his 2nd team all conf. is attributed to just a handful of TE’s being used in the Big 12. He has the potential to be a pretty good receiving tight end but really his blocking skills LAST year would have had him never seeing the field last year on the Hawkeye squad.

Allen was all conference as a freshman. Fant certainly wasn't. Allen had 9 P5 offers, Fant had 7. They were rated exactly the same as recruits.

2017 stats.

Chase Allen 4 receptions 39 yards ZERO TD's

Noah Fant 30 receptions 494 yards 11TD's

Dude, they are not even on the same planet.

Want to lay a bet on which one of the above is going to be a preseason all-american?

Reactions: lonesomedove
Nice post......do you even know 4 players on ISU's roster? Probably not, but pay no mind as it is typical for a hawk fan to vomit with very little knowledge of the facts.

Kind of like trying to convince people Allen is better than Fant?

I'll guarantee you NOBODY outside of Ames is making that statement.

Hell, I'll guarantee you nobody outside of your living room is making that statement.

Hell, I'll guarantee you nobody outside of your living room is making that statement.
Allen plays more the role of an in-line TE for ISU. Hockenson is the guy who lines up more as the in-line TE in Iowa's O. Fant gets moved around all over the place for the Hawks. I would agree with the assertion that currently Allen is presumably the better blocker. That has very little to do with particular "scheme" though ... it has more to do with the position-responsibility of an in-line TE.

However, look at Iowa's Hockenson ... he too has some fine blocking ability. Allen's edge on Hockenson, as it relates to blocking, is pretty marginal. However, in terms of contributing to the passing game ... Hockenson is WAY ahead of Allen.

The point here being that as apples-to-apples comparisons go ... the appropriate comparison would be between Hockenson and Allen. I'm pretty certain that Hawk fans are happy with their guy. Similarly, another apples-to-apples comparison would be between Wieting and Allen. I'm not certain Allen owns ANY advantage over Wieting in terms of blocking. Allen might be a little ahead of Wieting as a pass-catcher ... maybe.

However, even though Fant isn't an in-line TE for the Hawks ... that says nothing about the importance of his blocking. Iowa's top TEs ... irrespective of their role ... need to ultimately develop into high-level blockers. This applies to Fant, every bit as much as it applies to Hockenson. Given the physical abilities that Fant possesses ... there's little reason to believe that his blocking won't eventually emulate the likes of Henry Krieger-Coble (who spent his whole career prior to '15 as an in-line TE) or George Kittle (who spent his whole career as more of an athletic "move" TE).

Meaning absolutely no disrespect to ISU ... but very few programs develop TEs better than Iowa. More importantly, the TEs Iowa develops are almost invariably well-rounded ... and that is why so many Iowa TEs have success in the NFL.

Reactions: Millardhawk
Haha, right, I forgot. It's the "we need a TE who will produce basically zero catches, zero yards and zero TDs and will let our RB take more hits than any other RB in America" system. Brilliant.
Yep, and he did it well enough to be all conference.....Brilliant

Like a broken record or a 10 year old that refuses to listen or comprehend. Fant was better in Iowa's system and Allen was better in ISU'S. Fant had to provide 10 TDs because the wrs were not very good. Allen needed to be a good blocker because ISU had a very good receiving corp and that was needed. Both TEs made all conference for their performances.

Not only is Iowa churning out NFL players, they are churning them out early. How many guys get the chance to go to the NFL before there senior seasons? I know Kirk sells education, as he should, but there is another selling point to high rated kids who want to play in the NFL.
And they should continue coming to Iowa so that we can win national championships.

2nd team all conference versus 3rd team all conference....oh well, Fant had a pretty good year anyway

Again with the BIG12 ALL CONFERENCE? 2017 Big 12 had 3 tight ends on the Mackey watch list, Big 10 had 7 on that list that did not even include Fant!

There it is. You guys realize that Eyewejun is CyTwins right?

He posts in the exact same manner and makes the exact same ridiculous comparisons. Here it is that 2nd team TE in the Big 12 > 3rd team TE in the Big 10 because 2 is higher than 3. On CycloneFanatic he continually makes the argument that Iowa St. being 7th in recruiting in the Big 12 on 247 > Iowa being 8th in recruiting in the Big 10, despite Iowa having higher avg. rated players and more points.

Reactions: cmhawks99
There it is. You guys realize that Eyewejun is CyTwins right?

He posts in the exact same manner and makes the exact same ridiculous comparisons. Here it is that 2nd team TE in the Big 12 > 3rd team TE in the Big 10 because 2 is higher than 3. On CycloneFanatic he continually makes the argument that Iowa St. being 7th in recruiting in the Big 12 on 247 > Iowa being 8th in recruiting in the Big 10, despite Iowa having higher avg. rated players and more points.
Iowa and Wisconsin are TE factories ... and not surprisingly, Iowa and Wisconsin each landed a guy on all-B1G teams .... the Badger's Fumagalli landing as the 1st team all-B1G as a RS SR ... whereas Iowa's Fant landed as the 3rd team all-B1G as a TR SO. It's also worth noting that the 2nd team all-B1G TE was Gesicki ... a guy who by most draft guru's is viewed as the top rated TE in the '18 NFL draft.

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
Like a broken record or a 10 year old that refuses to listen or comprehend. Fant was better in Iowa's system and Allen was better in ISU'S. Fant had to provide 10 TDs because the wrs were not very good. Allen needed to be a good blocker because ISU had a very good receiving corp and that was needed. Both TEs made all conference for their performances.
So WHAT your saying is if Allen was a Hawkeye last year he would have easily been an ALL AMERICAN Go Away.Shit Hock is better than your Allen

You're right on the money. If history has taught us anything, it's that Kirk is about flash, receiving, and YAC. Not fundamentals and blocking. Easy to see why Allen is a hot name in all the draft talk.
Yep, it is a good thing that Freshman generally dominate draft talk.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT