ADVERTISEMENT

Nobles, MN county assessors

PerkyForHerky

HR Heisman
May 7, 2012
Visiting in-laws this weekend and the county assessors showed up. They come inside and tour the house, looking in every closet. Is this typical, do other areas do it like this? It seems really invasive and extra, especially in today's environment.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Were they masked up? And no, I have never heard of bullshit like that. I'd be pissed off.
Yeah, they have masks. Been here for about an hour, 30 minutes inside now. Can't imagine they'll be leaving soon if they're going to do the same to all of the sheds, barns and bins on the property.

Have the relatives pulled any building permits in the last year or so? That sounds very odd to me too. I would ask them some questions and perhaps tell them to buzz off... depending.

Shoot them and bury them out back.
It's not my property. The in-laws like me, so I should probably have a private conversation about doing this before I just suddenly do it. I don't see the opportunity arising in time to have this conversation.

Visiting in-laws this weekend and the county assessors showed up. They come inside and tour the house, looking in every closet. Is this typical, do other areas do it like this? It seems really invasive and extra, especially in today's environment.

Have you asked them why they are doing this, because you've never heard of it before?

I've never had an assessor inside my house. I've owned four houses in 3 states over nearly 30 years.

And I just realized, I spelled out four, then used a 3 and a 30...I have no idea why. Not sure it breaks any unwritten rules of English, but it looks weird. Oh well.

Have you asked them why they are doing this, because you've never heard of it before?
I asked the in-laws after they left. The response was that the county does this every 5 or so years. I guess they couldn't take the year off.

And I just realized, I spelled out four, then used a 3 and a 30...I have no idea why. Not sure it breaks any unwritten rules of English, but it looks weird. Oh well.
Generally, small numbers should be spelled out. 0-9.

You would also never start a sentence with a number, unless needed. 9,043 at the beginning of a sentence is one thing. But if the # is 13, you should start the sentence Thirteen, not 13. After you start the sentence, you'd be OK to use either thirteen or 13.

The way you did it was acceptable. You would never put two numbers together - you'd never say 4 6 year old kids -- use four 6 year old kids. Or 4 six year old kids. The first one is what you'll usually see.

That use to be typical (CCR: “Fortunate Son”: “When the taxman come, lord, the house look like a rummage sale”). Our neighbors (say, 1970) would make the place look like crap when taxman was coming.

Don’t hear of it much anymore. It is not as outrageous as it might seem: Essentially it is an audit of property for property tax (hey you have 3 baths, not two per our records)

But glad it is little done anymore.

There was one year when something changed in the assesor's office that required them to inspect inside. The assessment is not just what it looks like on the outside or area, but rooms, bathrooms, etc. But that's been once in 20 years

I'd tell 'em to fvck off.
You would run the risk in doing that of them just making the assumption that all of the space in the home, basement included, is finished. The local assessor actually came to our place several months back, but she just took a quick <10 minute walkthru and left. She was good looking, so I allowed it.

273.20 ASSESSOR MAY ENTER DWELLINGS, BUILDINGS, OR STRUCTURES.
Any officer authorized by law to assess property for taxation may, when necessary to the proper performance of duties, enter any dwelling-house, building, or structure, and view the same and the property therein.

Any officer authorized by law to assess property for ad valorem tax purposes shall have reasonable access to land and structures as necessary for the proper performance of their duties. A property owner may refuse to allow an assessor to inspect their property. This refusal by the property owner must be either verbal or expressly stated in a letter to the county assessor. If the assessor is denied access to view a property, the assessor is authorized to estimate the property's estimated market value by making assumptions believed appropriate concerning the property's finish and condition.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/273.20

273.20 ASSESSOR MAY ENTER DWELLINGS, BUILDINGS, OR STRUCTURES.
Any officer authorized by law to assess property for taxation may, when necessary to the proper performance of duties, enter any dwelling-house, building, or structure, and view the same and the property therein.

Any officer authorized by law to assess property for ad valorem tax purposes shall have reasonable access to land and structures as necessary for the proper performance of their duties. A property owner may refuse to allow an assessor to inspect their property. This refusal by the property owner must be either verbal or expressly stated in a letter to the county assessor. If the assessor is denied access to view a property, the assessor is authorized to estimate the property's estimated market value by making assumptions believed appropriate concerning the property's finish and condition.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/273.20
We never really "own" real estate. It's not ours. It's just on rent from the government. And the government being our landlord they can come in and inspect it annually in order to set the "rent".

I kind of have a problem with all of this. I'd almost be in favor of a 100% sales tax based society.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
In Iowa they attempt to do this, but I think the majority of the people don't let them inside and tell them to just do an estimate and assess the exterior. They are looking for home improvements and renovations which will raise your assessed value and your property taxes.

Only once has an assessor asked to come in our home. It was while we refinanced ten years after we moved in. The guy spent ten minutes, tops, in the house.

Reported.

Reactions: SSG T
We never really "own" real estate. It's not ours. It's just on rent from the government.

That is literally the way it is in China. You only have limited land rights. I’m not sure what you’re saying about the United States.

That is literally the way it is in China. You only have limited land rights. I’m not sure what you’re saying about the United States.
Maybe that you really own land in the US as long as you keep paying a tax on the land, and until the government can find a better use for it, or someone else that will pay them more taxes for using it.

Reactions: PerkyForHerky
Maybe that you really own land in the US as long as you keep paying a tax on the land, and until the government can find a better use for it, or someone else that will pay them more taxes for using it.

I see, thank you and agree to an extent. There are cases of eminent domain, albeit rare.

I see, thank you and agree to an extent. There are cases of eminent domain, albeit rare.
Here locally there's a farm that's been owned by the same family for 250 years. The city wanted to build a road, so they took land that essentially bisected the farm, and the courts upheld their right to do it. The new road doesn't reach an area that was previously inaccessible, it just provides a shortcut.

"The farm has been in the Brown family for more than 250 years since Sam Brown's ancestor, Mahlon Kirkbride purchased it from Lord Fairfax in 1741..."

https://www.loudountimes.com/news/b...cle_83cd18d5-d329-55c3-86f1-d1f7962f630a.html

Reactions: PerkyForHerky
Here locally there's a farm that's been owned by the same family for 250 years. The city wanted to build a road, so they took land that essentially bisected the farm, and the courts upheld their right to do it. The new road doesn't reach an area that was previously inaccessible, it just provides a shortcut.

"The farm has been in the Brown family for more than 250 years since Sam Brown's ancestor, Mahlon Kirkbride purchased it from Lord Fairfax in 1741..."

https://www.loudountimes.com/news/b...cle_83cd18d5-d329-55c3-86f1-d1f7962f630a.html

Yes, eminent domain happens and often traumatic to owners.

If you think you own your land you are severely mistaken.

If the government cared about your property, your land deed would be as useful as those deeds you can buy to own land on the moon.

You would run the risk in doing that of them just making the assumption that all of the space in the home, basement included, is finished. The local assessor actually came to our place several months back, but she just took a quick <10 minute walkthru and left. She was good looking, so I allowed it.

I've owned a home for 45 years and never heard of such a thing. They could come back with a deputy.

Any changes or improvements I've made required a permit and inspection when the work was done. There's a record. Go check that out.

ADVERTISEMENT