ADVERTISEMENT

Nolan Arenado: Will he end up on the HOF?

Will Nolan Arenado end up in the HOF?

• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
No, my best comp would be Scott Rolen. Nolan is currently sitting around 53 WAR. He’s 33 so he’s going to need 4 to 5 more Monster years to get close to Rolen’s numbers.

Nolan Arenado (12 seasons)
Career....Batting Average .285
Hits....1,764
RBI's.. 1,102
HR's.....334

Scott Rolen (17 seasons)
Career....Batting Average..281 .
Hits....2,077
RBI's...1,287
HR's....316

Bottom Line: Arenado has better stats for 5 less seasons.
Seven of his twelve seasons he had over 100 RBI's. He needs
some more good seasons. .

Last edited:
Nolan Arenado (12 seasons)
Career....Batting Average .285
Hits....1,764
RBI's.. 1,102
HR's.....334

Scott Rolen (17 seasons)
Career....Batting Average..281 .
Hits....2,077
RBI's...1,287
HR's....316

Bottom Line: Arenado has better stats for 5 less seasons.
Seven of his twelve seasons he had over 100 RBI's. He needs
some more good seasons. Scott Rolen will not be a Hall of Famer.

Rolen is in the HOF...? With that said, I think Nolan in his prime is a better player than Rolen was. WAR is such a strange measure in some ways. I can't stand how it weighs positions differently also.

Rolen is in the HOF...? With that said, I think Nolan in his prime is a better player than Rolen was. WAR is such a strange measure in some ways. I can't stand how it weighs positions differently also.
Rolen was a better fielder and didn’t have as many PA in Colorado He’ll need to average around 5 WAR a year for the next 5 yrs to match him. Unless he goes on the gas not seeing it.

Rolen was a better fielder and didn’t have as many PA in Colorado He’ll need to average around 5 WAR a year for the next 5 yrs to match him. Unless he goes on the gas not seeing it.

I hate talking in "WAR," but Nolan is 15 behind Rolen. 25 more and he's 6th all-time. And in front of Brooks Robinson. Also, Arenado is 3rd all-time in 3B fielding %. He's significantly higher than Rolen.

Arenado is a Hall of Famer in my book. A string of 10 years being the best glove in MLB, with big offensive numbers along the way as well. He could use a couple of strong seasons to round out the career (and some postseason success) to put the icing on the cake, but I think he’s just about there.

Reactions: fivecardstud14
I hate talking in "WAR," but Nolan is 15 behind Rolen. 25 more and he's 6th all-time. And in front of Brooks Robinson. Also, Arenado is 3rd all-time in 3B fielding %. He's significantly higher than Rolen.
Looked it up thought for some reason Rolen was upper 70’s in WAR. Not as daunting as I first thought.
As for fielding percentages. Thought Rolen had more range and also hit in bigger ballparks mostly. Hence why his numbers maybe similar, but WAR still gives him the edge.
Right now I think he’ll be borderline out. Debatable though.
The only reason I use WAR when talking about the HOF is when you have borderline cases. Thought Rolen was borderline btw.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
Looked it up through for some reason Rolen was upper 70’s in WAR. So, not as daunting as I first thought.
As for fielding percentages. Thought Rolen had more range and also hit in bigger ballparks mostly. Hence why his numbers maybe similar, but WAR still gives him the edge.
Right now I think he’ll be borderline out. Debatable though.
The only reason I use WAR when talking about the HOF is when you have borderline cases. I thought Rolen was borderline btw.

I like some of what sabermetrics brought to analyzing baseball players, but I'm not warm to WAR. A player who has played has what he's done on the record. His "replacement" player, no matter who it would be, hasn't played. Yet, WAR guesses on what he'd do. Also, WAR is calculated differently among several prominent sources of statistics. So, who has it right? Or wrong? Finally, I don't like how much weight WAR places on OBP. I realize this is a critical stat for hitters. Perhaps the most critical. But, it's not self-earned. Batting average is very nearly 100% on a hitter. OBP is not.

Reactions: tumorboy
I like some of what sabermetrics brought to analyzing baseball players, but I'm not warm to WAR. A player who has played has what he's done on the record. His "replacement" player, no matter who it would be, hasn't played. Yet, WAR guesses on what he'd do. Also, WAR is calculated differently among several prominent sources of statistics. So, who has it right? Or wrong? Finally, I don't like how much weight WAR places on OBP. I realize this is a critical stat for hitters. Perhaps the most critical. But, it's not self-earned. Batting average is very nearly 100% on a hitter. OBP is not.
It tries to factor out luck as much as possible. League quality, juiced ball, PEDs etc etc. When things are difficult to quantify at least it gives you something besides a bias opinion. Certainly flawed, but most everything is.

It tries to factor out luck as much as possible. League quality, juiced ball, PEDs etc etc. When things are difficult to quantify at least it gives you something besides a bias opinion. Certainly flawed, but most everything is.

I'll agree with that. But....I see WAR comparisons sometimes among players where one was/is clearly superior, yet far behind in WAR....I pull my hair out. Graig Nettles has a career WAR of 67.9. Arenado might not catch him. Yet, who is the better player? In every way. It's plainly obvious.

I'll agree with that. But....I see WAR comparisons sometimes among players where one was/is clearly superior, yet far behind in WAR....I pull my hair out. Graig Nettles has a career WAR of 67.9. Arenado might not catch him. Yet, who is the better player? In every way. It's plainly obvious.
Nettles played forever correct? Same with Frank Tanana. Thinking Roy Halladay might have 6 more WAR than Frank. Yet, Doc was unworldly dominant. Frank was good but not in Doc’s class.
WAR is simply something else to consider. And helps solidify the best from the really good.

Nettles played forever correct? Same with Frank Tanana. Thinking Roy Halladay might have 6 more WAR than Frank. Yet, Doc was unworldly dominant. Frank was good but not in Doc’s class.
WAR is simply something else to consider. And helps solidify the best from the really good.

He did. And probably hurt his teams doing so. Where's the stat for young, replacement players being better than old veterans who continue to hang on? Has anyone figured that out yet? WAR...🤮

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT