ADVERTISEMENT

Nonconf Schedule for 2022-2023: Oct 31 vs Truman State. Season Opener is Nov 7 vs Bethune Cookman. Emerald Coast Classic in Niceville, FL Nov 25-26

I updated the orig post because we appear to have 8 of our 11 nonconference games lined up right now.

Note that Iowa will play 4 games in the Emerald Coast Classic, not 3.

The 8 known/very likely nonconference games:

Nov 7: Bethune Cookman

Mid Nov: Gavitt Game vs Big East team is VERY LIKELY this year

Late November, ACC-Big Ten Challenge (likely at CHA)

Early Dec vs Iowa State, at CHA.

4 Games--Iowa is contracted to play in the 2022 Emerald Coast Classic in Niceville, FL, on Nov. 25-26, 2022 at Raider Arena on the campus of Northwest Florida State College. TWO PLELIMINARY GAMES games will be held on campus; the 2 other games Iowa will play will be in Niceville, FL. Game matchups will be announced later this summer. Iowa, TCU, Clemson, and Cal headline the tournament. Iowa also played in the 2016 Emerald Coast Classic, where they went 2-2 (Iowa beat Savannah State and UTRGV on campus; they then lost to Virginia by 33 and Memphis by 8 to finish 4th; Virginia was the champion, Providence, runner-up). Tourney website: www.emeraldcoastclassic.com

4 Games--Iowa is contracted to play in the 2022 Emerald Coast Classic in Niceville, FL, on Nov. 25-26, 2022 at Raider Arena on the campus of Northwest Florida State College. TWO PLELIMINARY GAMES games will be held on campus; the 2 other games Iowa will play will be in Niceville, FL. Game matchups will be announced later this summer. Iowa, TCU, Clemson, and Cal headline the tournament. Iowa also played in the 2016 Emerald Coast Classic, where they went 2-2 (Iowa beat Savannah State and UTRGV on campus; they then lost to Virginia by 33 and Memphis by 8 to finish 4th; Virginia was the champion, Providence, runner-up). Tourney website: www.emeraldcoastclassic.com

We knew about this 6 days ago.

Yesterday they finally had the press release.

FQKB4r2X0A0Cjde

FQKBxHHXwAYCtOg

They’ve had some pretty good teams in the past….I wonder where this one will rate?
Is it Nebraska-Omaha and do they mean Loyola-Marymount instead of Loyola-Maryland?
Of course Iowa gets the worst of the 4. Kris must not be coming back.

Last edited:
They’ve had some pretty good teams in the past….I wonder where this one will rate?
Tough to say, though Iowa will be catching them at the right time. The Mavs were awful last year and parted ways with their HC at season’s end. They announced Chris Crutchfield as the new head coach in March, and Mavs fans are pretty excited about the hire as Chris is supposed to be a strong recruiter and has partially overseen development of some pretty notable players as an assistant at schools like Oregon and Oklahoma

Shouldn’t be much of a game with Iowa though. UNO’s best player is Frankie Fidler. Bucket-getter, but only a sophomore and not super athletic. Not much afterwards unless they bring some players on before season starts

Reactions: perryhawk

One of the preliminary games will be Omaha

Good info. Thanks.

Just some reminders regarding the 4 game Emerald Coast Classic Tournament:

* TWO PLELIMINARY GAMES games will be held on campus; the 2 other games Iowa will play will be in Niceville, FL.

* Iowa, TCU, Clemson, and Cal headline the tournament.

* Game matchups will be announced later this summer. Tourney website: www.emeraldcoastclassic.com

* Iowa also played in the 2016 Emerald Coast Classic, where they went 2-2 (Iowa beat Savannah State and UTRGV on campus; they then lost to Virginia by 33 and Memphis by 8 to finish 4th; Virginia was the champion, Providence, runner-up).

Last edited:
Fran is not going to enter the tournament without knowing and agreeing to who Iowa is going to play.
Do you know that for sure, or do you mean it in a different way. I'm guessing, because I don't know, that he has a general idea of the other Big Hitters in the tournament...those top 4, and that the two guaranteed at your place teams are going to be those gimme types. I mean, everyone knows that right?

Does he know who the specific teams are of those gimme's? I doubt he knows exactly who they are and who they'll play before accepting....but I could be wrong.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Fran is not going to enter the tournament without knowing and agreeing to who Iowa is going to play.
Iowa agreed to the tournament by knowing the main 3 P6 teams in Cal, Clemson, and TCU. The preliminary games for these tournaments are always going to be crappy teams.
Our non-con schedule is going to be fine--2 of the 3 teams listed above, ISU, BigTen/ACC challenge, Big East opponent at Gavitt games: that's 5 power 6 opponents right there. The other 7 games aren't all going to be zingers, sorry.

The Gavitt Games should be another strong non con opponent, yes?
Should be, I asked Rocco on twitter if he could confirm that Iowa was participating in it--Big Ten schools should be Iowa, Maryland, Mich St, Minnesota, Northwestern, Penn St, Purdue, and 1 additional school to play an extra (MSU has declined their invite in the past). Iowa has also hosted twice already, so it should be a road game.

We should have some cupcakes under our belt as well as a couple strong tests prior to playing ISU.....I think that's important.
Yeah 3 cupcakes and then a tough stretch of Emerald Coast, ACC Challenge, ISU, and possibly a Big East team in that stretch before more cupcakes for Christmas and to get healed for Big Ten play. Don't mind how it's shaping up at all.

1 game between the 11th and 25th. Gavitt games take place the second week of the season so they’re leaving a spot there for now. Will move around the Omaha game depending on exact dates. Other spot will likely go to a post Christmas warmup.

https://barttorvik.com/trankpre.php

Bethune-Cookman - 289
NC A&T - 198
Omaha - 304
Clemson - 51
Cal - 132
TCU - 27
Iowa St - 43
SE Missouri - 301
E Illinois - 321

Didn’t realize NC A&T moved conferences

1 game between the 11th and 25th. Gavitt games take place the second week of the season so they’re leaving a spot there for now. Will move around the Omaha game depending on exact dates. Other spot will likely go to a post Christmas warmup.

https://barttorvik.com/trankpre.php

Bethune-Cookman - 289
NC A&T - 198
Omaha - 304
Clemson - 51
Cal - 132
TCU - 27
Iowa St - 43
SE Missouri - 301
E Illinois - 321

Didn’t realize NC A&T moved conferences
Iowa 34.............. trade those 3 with a rating of 300 and higher in for some 200s and it wouldn't be bad....

Iowa agreed to the tournament by knowing the main 3 P6 teams in Cal, Clemson, and TCU. The preliminary games for these tournaments are always going to be crappy teams.
Our non-con schedule is going to be fine--2 of the 3 teams listed above, ISU, BigTen/ACC challenge, Big East opponent at Gavitt games: that's 5 power 6 opponents right there. The other 7 games aren't all going to be zingers, sorry.
Can they not be absolutely horrible...that's all we ask for and really should be common sense these days. Except to Iowa :(

More schedule information..

Correct me if I am wrong but it appears that we have all 11 nonconference games lined up right now.

The 11 nonconference games:

(Game 1) Nov 7: Bethune Cookman

(Game 2) Nov. 11: North Carolina A&T

(Game 3) Mid Nov: Gavitt Game vs Big East team is VERY LIKELY this year

(Game 4, 5, 6 & 7) 4 Games--Iowa is contracted to play in the 2022 Emerald Coast Classic in Niceville, FL, on Nov. 25-26, 2022 at Raider Arena on the campus of Northwest Florida State College. TWO PLELIMINARY GAMES games will be held on campus; the 2 other games Iowa will play will be in Niceville, FL. Game matchups will be announced later this summer. Iowa, TCU, Clemson, and Cal headline the tournament. Iowa also played in the 2016 Emerald Coast Classic, where they went 2-2 (Iowa beat Savannah State and UTRGV on campus; they then lost to Virginia by 33 and Memphis by 8 to finish 4th; Virginia was the champion, Providence, runner-up). Tourney website: www.emeraldcoastclassic.com

(Game 8) Late November, ACC-Big Ten Challenge (likely at CHA)

(Game 9) Early Dec vs Iowa State, at CHA.

(Game 10) Dec 17: SEMO

(Game 11): Dec. 21: Eastern Illinois

Correct me if I am wrong but it appears that we have all 11 nonconference games lined up right now.

The 11 nonconference games:

(Game 1) Nov 7: Bethune Cookman

(Game 2) Nov. 11: North Carolina A&T

(Game 3) Mid Nov: Gavitt Game vs Big East team is VERY LIKELY this year

(Game 4, 5, 6 & 7) 4 Games--Iowa is contracted to play in the 2022 Emerald Coast Classic in Niceville, FL, on Nov. 25-26, 2022 at Raider Arena on the campus of Northwest Florida State College. TWO PLELIMINARY GAMES games will be held on campus; the 2 other games Iowa will play will be in Niceville, FL. Game matchups will be announced later this summer. Iowa, TCU, Clemson, and Cal headline the tournament. Iowa also played in the 2016 Emerald Coast Classic, where they went 2-2 (Iowa beat Savannah State and UTRGV on campus; they then lost to Virginia by 33 and Memphis by 8 to finish 4th; Virginia was the champion, Providence, runner-up). Tourney website: www.emeraldcoastclassic.com

(Game 8) Late November, ACC-Big Ten Challenge (likely at CHA)

(Game 9) Early Dec vs Iowa State, at CHA.

(Game 10) Dec 17: SEMO

(Game 11): Dec. 21: Eastern Illinois
I think the ECC is only 1 preliminary game this year (Omaha).

That pretty much solidifies Iowa as having one of the worst non-conference schedules for this upcoming season...and lot's on here bitched about last years 300 plus non-conference schedule. Maybe Kris is not coming back.
5 teams out of 11 that is worth a crap on this schedule, way to go Franny.

I think the ECC is only 1 preliminary game this year (Omaha).
No, Iowa is to host 2 teams that is associated with the ECC tournament. They know that one home game is against Nebraska Omaha and the other home game will be either against Southern U, UL Monroe, or Loyola- Marymount.

That pretty much solidifies Iowa as having one of the worst non-conference schedules for this upcoming season...and lot's on here bitched about last years 300 plus non-conference schedule. Maybe Kris is not coming back.
LOL it won't even be close to one of the worst non-conference schedules. TCU will be preseason top 15 team. ISU will likely be pre-season top 25-30 team. Iowa will be a top 6 pre-season team in the Big Ten if Kris returns, meaning we should get a decent ACC and Big East opponent (Big East will be an away game). I think in general people don't realize that literally everyone plays cupcakes.

UNI fans bitch all the time about never being able to schedule anyone good in their non-conference schedule and yet they ended up with the #41 NC SOS last year:

Q1: @ Arkansas, @ St Bonaventure
Q2: Neut. v Wyoming, Vermont
Q3: Richmond, Neut v Liberty
4 Q4 buy games.

No, Iowa is to host 2 teams that is associated with the ECC tournament. They know that one home game is against Nebraska Omaha and the other home game will be either against Southern U, UL Monroe, or Loyola- Marymount.
Don't think that's accurate, in 2021 the ECC switched it up so that there was only 1 host game.

Iowa will host 2 games as part of the “tournament”

It's weird that there is contradictory information--especially when it's coming from Sport's and information--but I also feel fairly confident that it's just the 1. Rocco Miller is on top of his stuff and only reported 1; Scott Dochterman is also saying 1. Last year all of the host schools just played 1-- schools didn't like tying up 2 buy games into their schedule for these events so they went down to 1 to accommodate.

Doesn’t know the difference between Loyola-Maryland and Loyola Marymount, but he knows how bad the schedule is going to be. Got to love it. The schools are only 2,600 miles apart.

Not to mention bitching about games Iowa/Fran have no control over scheduling. The alternative would be to tell the ECC, no thanks. That seems like a bad option.

Doesn’t know the difference between Loyola-Maryland and Loyola Marymount, but he knows how bad the schedule is going to be. Got to love it. The schools are only 2,600 miles apart.

Not to mention bitching about games Iowa/Fran have no control over scheduling. The alternative would be to tell the ECC, no thanks. That seems like a bad option.
At first, I didn't find Loyola-Maryland in the Pomeroy rankings, but after your post I went back and indeed they are listed at the end of last year at 271.
My bad, I admit my error, but between the 2 Loyola schools which one would you prefer Iowa to have on their schedule this coming season. If your honest it wouldn't be Loyola-Maryland.
We don't know what Iowa State will bring to the table, TCU appears to good again, Clemson may be better, and California can go either way, but Iowa only plays 2 of those 3. The Gavitt game and the ACC Challenge opponents haven't been finalized yet so depending on how Iowa is perceived finishing in the Big Ten I wouldn't count on Iowa gaining much traction or elevating their non-conference strength on schedule.
I'm guessing Iowa will be placed somewhere in the 10th to 8th slot in the upcoming preseason Big Ten Standings, that won't move the needle much.

.I'm guessing Iowa will be placed somewhere in the 10th to 8th slot in the upcoming preseason Big Ten Standings, that won't move the needle much.
Go and look through the spreadsheet of the Big Ten rosters for next year on this page and come back and intellectually articulate who the 7-9 other roster's you like better than Iowas going into next season. Obviously there will be a little more movement within them, but as of now which teams do you have ahead of Iowa? Here's mine:
Tier 1: Indiana, Illinois, Michigan
Tier 2: Purdue, Iowa, Rutgers, Ohio St, Wisconsin
Tier 3: Mich St, Penn St, Minnesota, Maryland
Tier 4: Nebraska, Northwestern

Here are all the "All-Big Ten" team returners for next season:
1st Team: 0
2nd Team: TJD, Dickinson, Edey
3rd Team: 0
Freshman: Hepburn

At first, I didn't find Loyola-Maryland in the Pomeroy rankings, but after your post I went back and indeed they are listed at the end of last year at 271.
My bad, I admit my error, but between the 2 Loyola schools which one would you prefer Iowa to have on their schedule this coming season. If your honest it wouldn't be Loyola-Maryland.

Yes, Fran and Iowa should tell the folks at the Emerald Coast Classic that Loyola Marymount would be a better game for their schedule and that they should switch them with Loyola-Maryland.

Do you understand how these exempt multi team events work?

Yes, Fran and Iowa should tell the folks at the Emerald Coast Classic that Loyola Marymount would be a better game for their schedule and that they should switch them with Loyola-Maryland.

Do you understand how these exempt multi team events work?
I'd rather have Fran or whomever, schedule Iowa to play in tournaments that do not include home games against little sisters of the poor. Sorry, that's my opinion.
Fran is so scared to schedule home and home games against other P6 teams that it's almost comical.
There's lot's of big time schools that would improve Iowa's non-conference schedule but he insists in scheduling home games against teams that lurk in the bottom half of college basketball and does nothing to draw enough interest to even fill half of Carver and certainly doesn't peak the interest of Iowa's student body.
There's a reason that the Big Ten Network considers Iowa a 2nd tier school and put's them on their Big Ten plus channel multiple games a year and Fran obliges them by scheduling crap teams year in and year out.

I'd rather have Fran or whomever, schedule Iowa to play in tournaments that do not include home games against little sisters of the poor. Sorry, that's my opinion.
Fran is so scared to schedule home and home games against other P6 teams that it's almost comical.
There's lot's of big time schools that would improve Iowa's non-conference schedule but he insists in scheduling home games against teams that lurk in the bottom half of college basketball and does nothing to draw enough interest to even fill half of Carver and certainly doesn't peak the interest of Iowa's student body.
There's a reason that the Big Ten Network considers Iowa a 2nd tier school and put's them on their Big Ten plus channel multiple games a year and Fran obliges them by scheduling crap teams year in and year out.

It’s pretty clear that you don’t understand how these MTE’s/holiday tournaments work. The ECC is very similar to how most of them operate. Four big name programs and four smaller “filler” schools. This is very common. Only a few MTE/holiday tournaments have more than two games with solid competition. Maui and Atlantis are about the only two and Iowa would love to be invited to those. Even these tournaments have a cupcake or a smaller school in their field.

A few more MTE’s have a four team field of big name schools and Iowa would love to be invited to them, even though you’re giving up a game or two. MTE’s like the Cheez-It Tip Off, Preseason NIT, Legend’s Classic, and maybe one or two others. Iowa doesn’t pass those up when offered either. Like bowl games, they like to rotate the best schools that draw the biggest crowds.

In years like last year, Iowa will create their own MTE with teams like Alabama St and NC Central. Schools may only schedule so many games and these allow you to schedule multiple games for the price of one. Even mid major schools do it so many wouldn’t accept Iowa’s invitation without something expected in return. That leaves Iowa scheduling cupcakes who ask nothing in return besides money and travel expenses.

If you think Iowa is acting any different than a majority of other P5/P6 schools, you’re wrong, because they’re not. Iowa has commitments with the Gavitt Games (most years), The ACC/B1G and Iowa St (every year). Last year was an exception year where they weren’t in a named MTE or in the Gavitt Games. This isn’t common, but it clearly can happen.

Every B1G school has multiple non conference games on BTN Plus. That’s not unique to Iowa. Iowa is also the second smallest populated B1G school and by a good margin. You think that is a factor? As for the crowds at CHA, that is more to do with the day/time of the game. Iowa has had a terrible draw of weekday games and at 8:00. Look at the crowd size when Iowa plays on non school nights at 6:00 or 7:00 vs random weekday games at 8:00 or 9:00. Completely different size of the crowd. Iowa played two non conf games in CHA on Friday night and zero non conference games on Saturday or Sunday.

Fran is on record saying that the B1G schedule will be enough to get into the NCAA tournament and so far he’s been exactly right. When Iowa is not invited to the tournament because of their schedule, then you’ll have a valid argument. That has yet to happen.

Fran is on record saying that the B1G schedule will be enough to get into the NCAA tournament and so far he’s been exactly right. When Iowa is not invited to the tournament because of their schedule, then you’ll have a valid argument. That has yet to happen.
Iowa finished with an overall SOS of 51 after their non-conference SOS of 250. It's nice to have a some quality opponents and we will this year, but frankly it just doesn't matter that much with this NET system because every Big Ten road game will end up Q1 or Q2 and only a few teams will end up as Q3 home games.

In 2019, Iowa played in the Las Vegas Invitational. That included playing North Florida and Cal Poly in Iowa City as opening (on campus) round games. Long Island U and Tennessee St were also in the field. Iowa then went out to Vegas to play Texas Tech and San Diego St. Creighton was also in the field.

Iowa, Creighton, Texas Tech, and SDSU played in one tournament while LIU, North Florida, Cal Poly, and Tenn St played in another tournament. All played at the Orleans. It was an awesome event and worth every penny.

I would recommend it to any Iowa fan and I’ll go every time Iowa is there. I wouldn’t want this to go away for any non conference game/games.

If Fran was as scared to schedule home/home vs P6 teams as you say he is, why is Iowa St still on the schedule then? Doesn’t that contradict your theory?

We've been rehashing this issue since the Tom Davis era. Iowa's attitude toward non-conference scheduling is perfectly inline with almost every other big time school with the exception of the true blue bloods who have their schedule manipulated by television and, frankly, are equipped to take on all comers anyway. Playing a 20 game conference schedule, plus the annual ACC Challenge, ISU, and a near annual Gavitt game opponent is daunting enough without adding a bunch of tough home and away games. I understand the desire to rid our schedule of some of the real cupcakes we play early, but these games keep some of those programs alive with the cash influx we provide.

I remember a Dick Schulz team that opened the season @Kentucky and @Kansas. Do we really want to return to that?

ADVERTISEMENT