ADVERTISEMENT

Norm!

Apparently when Norm Macdonald found out he was very ill and possibly dying, he decided to record one last standup show in case he died. He privately recorded the show in his living room at the height of the pandemic and now Netflix is going to release it on May 30.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/norm-macdonald-netflix-special-1235145692/amp/
I thought he was an ass when I first saw him doing weekend update on SNL.

After that, I started to see the genius. One of my fav comedians in recent years.

I hope this last show will be a no-holds-barred commentary on the world as he sees it as he exits stage left.

I just listened to about half of last week’s “Fly on the Wall” podcast (Dana Carvey and David Spade) featuring the legendary Jim Downey. Among his incredible writing credits, Downey collaborated with Norm on Weekend Update.

Carvey asked him if Norm ever brought him an idea for a joke that even Downey thought went too far. His answer was that one time Norm told him he had an idea for a joke where he said “Well…it looks like Woody Allen is dating again.” and then put the iconic photo up on the screen that depicts the naked girl running down the street after a napalm attack in Vietnam.

Downey told him you can’t do that joke in front of an audience.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
I just listened to about half of last week’s “Fly on the Wall” podcast (Dana Carvey and David Spade) featuring the legendary Jim Downey. Among his incredible writing credits, Downey collaborated with Norm on Weekend Update.

Carvey asked him if Norm ever brought him an idea for a joke that even Downey thought went too far. His answer was that one time Norm told him he had an idea for a joke where he said “Well…it looks like Woody Allen is dating again.” and then put the iconic photo up on the screen that depicts the naked girl running down the street after a napalm attack in Vietnam.

Downey told him you can’t do that joke in front of an audience.

I saw that clip. Classic Norm!

They also said they saved the audio of everyone in the studio gasping and used it whenever they needed the sound of shocked disapproval. Lol!

Reactions: TJ8869
He’s the only comedian I’ve seen that truly didn’t give a damn if he was bombing. He almost seemed to try for it sometimes. Some folks aren’t into him. I think he was hilarious.
It took me a long time to realize that this was his aim or his schtick. Didn’t like him for a long time. He’s still not my favorite, but I have a lot more appreciation for his work than I did previously and he was pretty damn funny.

One of Norm's classic on Howard. It's a joke that didn't seem to be going anywhere, but then turns out to be the perfect Norm style joke.

Reactions: win4jj
Anyone watch it yet? I watched it on Monday. Definitely some very funny parts. You can also definitely tell it was all done in one take.

I also thoroughly enjoyed listening/watching Letterman, Chappelle, Shannon, Sandler, O'Brien, and Spade discuss it and talk about Norm afterwards. That was so damn enjoyable, also really damn sad.

Reactions: HawkRugged17
ADVERTISEMENT