ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina sheriff stocking schools with AR-15 rifles in wake of Uvalde shooting

tarheelbybirth

HR King
Apr 17, 2003
This seems like a good idea.

MARSHALL, N.C. — When schools in one North Carolina county reopen later this month, new security measures will include stocking AR-15 rifles for school resource officers to use in the event of an active shooter.

Spurred by the elementary school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, that left 19 children and two teachers dead in May, school officials and Madison County Sheriff Buddy Harwood have placed one of the semiautomatic rifles in each of the county’s six schools. Each of the guns will be locked inside a safe, Harwood said.

The North Carolina school district and sheriff’s office are collaborating to enhance security after the Uvalde shooting revealed systemic failures and “egregiously poor decision-making,” resulting in more than an hour of chaos before the gunman was finally confronted and killed by law enforcement, according to a report written by an investigative committee from the Texas House of Representatives.

Not surprisingly, the county went for Trump in 2020 with about 60% of the vote.

• Sad
Reactions: TheCainer
What’s the point? How many school shooters have worn body armor where the stopping power of a rifle is necessary?

I don't understand the issue. Train them how to use the weapon, handle it appropriately and potentially it will end a mass shooter event. I don't know that a shooter would want to enter a school that he knows has the ability to shoot back. I think having the weapon in capable hands in the school would most likely deter the event from happening at all. I'm all for it.

• Angry
Reactions: Tom Paris
What’s the point? How many school shooters have worn body armor where the stopping power of a rifle is necessary?
The SRO could have neutralized the killer at Uvalde without an AR but didn't take the shot - as I understand it - over concerns about students potentially in the line of fire. Even when they had supremely overpowering firepower, they didn't take him on. What's one more rifle if there's no will to use it effectively? This is a stunt.

I don't understand the issue. Train them how to use the weapon, handle it appropriately and potentially it will end a mass shooter event. I don't know that a shooter would want to enter a school that he knows has the ability to shoot back. I think having the weapon in capable hands in the school would most likely deter the event from happening at all. I'm all for it.
LOL...you don't think this shooter knew the school system had its own police force? Did it deter him at all? You think an AR locked in a f'n safe would do more?

Biggest problem I see is unless the SRO is right next to his safe at the moment he becomes aware of a mass shooter it seems like it would be very difficult to get to it quickly.

And that's assuming the SRO has the courage to engage the shooter in the first place.

LOL...you don't think this shooter knew the school system had its own police force? Did it deter him at all? You think an AR locked in a f'n safe would do more?
Well, I guess we can keep doing what we're doing. That seems to be working out well.

The issue, for me anyway, is normalizing military assault weapons in elementary schools. Grooming children to accept a violent society.

Biggest problem I see is unless the SRO is right next to his safe at the moment he becomes aware of a mass shooter it seems like it would be very difficult to get to it quickly.

And that's assuming the SRO has the courage to engage the shooter in the first place.

Yup. This solution only works if the SRO is nearby. What happens if he’s doing his rounds, at lunch, the bathroom?

What if a student got their hands on the key?

They could have locked cases in every room that open when the shooter alarm is triggered. Then the kids could all grab a gun, knock the desks over, and prep for the shooter.

Shooter drills could have the kids practicing this. "Cabinets are open kids; grab your gun, tip over your desk, and get behind it!"

Reactions: billanole
Yup. This solution only works if the SRO is nearby. What happens if he’s doing his rounds, at lunch, the bathroom?

What if a student got their hands on the key?

I would hope that he would constantly keep the key on his person. I don't worry as much about that because that is to me about the same worry as if a student go ahold of the SRO's sidearm.

However my understanding is that SRO's walk around the school etc. So he would at the very least have to be fortunate to be near his safe at the time of an attack.

That single, 45 billion dollar package sent to comrade Zelenskyy could have provided 300,000 dollars to every school in the country for security upgrades.

At least he got some guns out of the deal.

• Haha
Reactions: Hammer93 and Flie
I would hope that he would constantly keep the key on his person. I don't worry as much about that because that is to me about the same worry as if a student go ahold of the SRO's sidearm.

However my understanding is that SRO's walk around the school etc. So he would at the very least have to be fortunate to be near his safe at the time of an attack.

It’s admittedly not a high risk, but I wouldn’t rule it out either. If nothing else, I assume they’d have a backup or key, or heck, depending on the quality of the lock, if the kid were determined enough…

The point is, short of this person being near the gun case at all times there’s a greater risk than not that they would not have immediate access to the guns if an active shooter were on the scene.

Reactions: gohawks50
They could have locked cases in every room that open when the shooter alarm is triggered. Then the kids could all grab a gun, knock the desks over, and prep for the shooter.

Shooter drills could have the kids practicing this. "Cabinets are open kids; grab your gun, tip over your desk, and get behind it!"
Ok…so two ways to prevent another Uvalde.

If I were a school shooter, the first person I would take out is the SRO.

If I were a school shooter, the first person I would take out is the SRO.

Would make sense but unless they are right in front of you, you might not get the opportunity. Once you've walked in with a rifle the alarm will have been sounded and kids are going to start trying to evacuate or barricade themselves into rooms.

Would make sense but unless they are right in front of you, you might not get the opportunity. Once you've walked in with a rifle the alarm will have been sounded and kids are going to start trying to evacuate or barricade themselves into rooms.
Why? They're the least likely to be a threat.

s
There’s one way to prevent what happened in Uvalde. Only one.

If cost were no object, why not build desks enclosed on four sides for elementary students. Built of a material that would stop all hand gun and most common rifle rounds. The desks could be bolted to classroom floors and also serve as storm shelters. A student could quickly climb under it, reach up, and pull down a locking door similar to a solid garage door that swings down in one piece. In seconds they could sealed off from threats. There’s no way something like that is affordable, but it would certainly make a massacre on the scale of Uvalde impossible to carry out.

Why? They're the least likely to be a threat.

A school shooter's goal is usually to maximize casualties. Advertising what you are there for and giving people a chance to escape would make that less likely.

I have told this before, but in the USAF at Korea I was augmented to security forces for base chem warfare excercises. The squads were made up of Air Force people from all around base from various jobs. Even after training and many week long excercises when the shit hit the fan during the excercise it was friendly fire city because most people couldn't handle the stress and adrenaline.

This is why I believe it to be maximum stupid to arm teachers. Who would most likely shoot at the first thing they saw move in front of them.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I have told this before, but in the USAF at Korea I was augmented to security forces for base chem warfare excercises. The squads were made up of Air Force people from all around base from various jobs. Even after training and many week long excercises when the shit hit the fan during the excercise it was friendly fire city because most people couldn't handle the stress and adrenaline.

This is why I believe it to be maximum stupid to arm teachers. Who would most likely shoot at the first thing they saw move in front of them.

I keep saying this as well; there is precisely ONE scenario arming teachers works out with a positive outcome, and 1,000 where it does not.

We’re not exactly talking a group of adults at peak physical and mental shape here…to say nothing of the students!

Reactions: Moral
s

If cost were no object, why not build desks enclosed on four sides for elementary students. Built of a material that would stop all hand gun and most common rifle rounds. The desks could be bolted to classroom floors and also serve as storm shelters. A student could quickly climb under it, reach up, and pull down a locking door similar to a solid garage door that swings down in one piece. In seconds they could sealed off from threats. There’s no way something like that is affordable, but it would certainly make a massacre on the scale of Uvalde impossible to carry out.
Add a menu for the meals that a long drawn out “situation” might take. Make sure to ask the bad guy if they have dietary issues such as gluten problems…. Arrange for some calming music to be broadcast over school intercoms.
Make sure the assailant has plentiful ammo for his piece…

I think I solved it.

The kids shooting up these schools are students right? So what if we rigged up every student with a device that either detonates or electrocutes with a button you give to the teacher?

That way if one of the students starts shooting… you just flip a switch and the kid is neutralized.

And nobody has to turn in their guns (which is most important). This plan is bulletproof

• Love
I think the plan is for everybody to have so many guns that one day everybody is like... what are all these guns for, really? Then everybody puts down their guns and submits to democrats because they jusy OD'd on guns basically.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT