ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern building new stadium

that Soldier Field turf is a disaster before any team plays there

do you or anyone know the issue? why doesn't the sod take root and hold up?

also, IIRC, ownership wanted to put in artificial turf but the people (union) who cut the grass and take care of the current grass turf raised hell because they feared there would be job losses
They “fixed” the issue this season by putting in a bermudagrass field right before the season started. Brilliant.

Making it the only athletic field in the north/Midwest to use bermudagrass, which thrives in the south and in tropical climates. Can’t make this stuff up.

They “fixed” the issue this season by putting in a bermudagrass field right before the season started. Brilliant.

Making it the only athletic field in the north/Midwest to use bermudagrass, which thrives in the south and in tropical climates. Can’t make this stuff up.
Hasn't this been part of their strategy against faster, more athletic teams? Well, any team, really.

There really isn't a prettier setting for a college stadium than along the Lake in Evanston. Cool looking stadium design but kind of obtrusive to the beautiful views of the Lake. JMO.
The current stadium isn't on the lake so the new one will not be. There are no great views of the lake from the current and future site.

Reactions: hawk_a_holic
Beautiful, will be quite the upgrade. But $800 million, wow.

I also think they’re pretty smart going smaller, most are. Even our Hawks….Kinnick’s capacity shrank with the most recent renovation. Didn’t it used to be 72,000, then 70585 and now under 70k?

College football attendance is decreasing across the board…it’s more than a blip.

Why would they not build a stadium with a retractable roof and enough seating to be able to host the B1G championship?

I didn’t go to NW or as smart as those geeks but I’d at least have an outdoor/indoor set up as the primary option then look at enough seating capacity to be able to host the game or a bowl game should Chicago decide to host the Chicago Style Pizza Bowl Game or a play off game.
The new bears stadium will be able to host the Big 10 championship, bowl games and final fours.

Beautiful, will be quite the upgrade. But $800 million, wow.

I also think they’re pretty smart going smaller, most are. Even our Hawks….Kinnick’s capacity shrank with the most recent renovation. Didn’t it used to be 72,000, then 70585 and now under 70k?

College football attendance is decreasing across the board…it’s more than a blip.
Even Alabama decreased its stadium capacity by 2-3K.

College football (at least in the power conferences) is making way more bank through TV revenue than the traditional butts-in-seats.

If an F4 tornado were to directly hit Kinnick and disfigure it beyond salvation, they'd build a new stadium with a capacity in the high 50s-low 60s. Iowa does fill the 70K capacity but that's only when Iowa is good and a big name opponent or rival is in town.

I've never heard of anyone building a new stadium that seats 12k fewer people. Someone explain to me how this is a good deal.

I'm not saying it's not. I just don't understand it.
The Pirates replaced 50,500-seat Three Rivers Stadium (baseball capacity) with 38,700-seat PNC Park. Cozier. Better optics when TV cameras pan the stands and see 15k in attendance.

Reactions: Fan In Black
that Soldier Field turf is a disaster before any team plays there

do you or anyone know the issue? why doesn't the sod take root and hold up?

also, IIRC, ownership wanted to put in artificial turf but the people (union) who cut the grass and take care of the current grass turf raised hell because they feared there would be job losses

I'm not sure but in 2020 the Chicago Fire (soccer team) moved there. They're not allowed to play there within 5 days of a Bears game so they've played a few times in their old stadium in Bridgeview. If Northwestern moves there for a few years, turf and scheduling will be crazy.

Tv money is goooooood

It sure does, but Northwestern is super rich. 2nd in the big ten behind Michigan who has more than double the enrollment. I think in this case TV money literally is building that facility. 'Hey our football team we don't even care about generated this huge money surplus we don't need, what should we do with it? I dunno, build a brand new stadium for them?'

Yes, the trend is decreasing capacity and increasing skybox or other high priced seats. Baseball is lowering capacity in many parks.

The Ryan family gave Northwestern $480M in September. Wow.

Even Alabama decreased its stadium capacity by 2-3K.

College football (at least in the power conferences) is making way more bank through TV revenue than the traditional butts-in-seats.

If an F4 tornado were to directly hit Kinnick and disfigure it beyond salvation, they'd build a new stadium with a capacity in the high 50s-low 60s. Iowa does fill the 70K capacity but that's only when Iowa is good and a big name opponent or rival is in town.
And they would likely build it elsewhere and turn that area over to hospital

Stanford did. Mimicking just decrease capacity, Nebraska is looking too. It’s more than a trend
Stanford's stadium still seats 50,000.
Nebraska is planning a massive overhaul/upgrade but they're not gonna shave 20K seats.
NW is downsizing too much.

Reactions: iahawks10
Stanford's stadium still seats 50,000.
Nebraska is planning a massive overhaul/upgrade but they're not gonna shave 20K seats.
NW is downsizing too much.
Stanford use to be 86k.

NW plan makes sense, smart people based in really good market data made the call, and it’s totally cool.

Neb sent a survey for its Tenno. I completed it(we purchase tix for our Emp). They know they over built with last edition, they know their bleachers are not satisfiers(arguably more cramped than Kinnick).

your opinion probably won’t stand the test of time

Stanford use to be 86k.

NW plan makes sense, smart people based in really good market data made the call, and it’s totally cool.

Neb sent a survey for its Tenno. I completed it(we purchase tix for our Emp). They know they over built with last edition, they know their bleachers are not satisfiers(arguably more cramped than Kinnick).

your opinion probably won’t stand the test of time
Stanford still seats 50K is not an opinion. It's a fact. 50K is still a good sized stadium by today's standards...right in there with Minnesota, Maryland, Indiana, Rutgers and right in the middle of their conference (while it still exists).

NW downsizing does make sense, I just think they're taking it a bit too far.

Neb is doing a remodel, the bleachers aren't good and they're adjusting. Let me know when they reduce capacity by 20K. That would be a shocker.

Last edited:
It makes you wonder about Iowa's next "stadium renovation". Love what has been done with the North End Zone. But to me it needs to continue. It is now SO EASY with 4K big screens in every living room to just stay home.. a much better experience. What was done in the North end zone.. is the south end zone next? Do you completely redo the west side (I don't think there is anymore they can do on the east side.. it is what it is). As everyone saw, without expanding the footprint (only possible to the west I think), every transformation sacrifices seaats. Thoughts?

Hasn't this been part of their strategy against faster, more athletic teams? Well, any team, really.
Bermuda can be maintained at a very low height, so it’s a faster surface to play on than the Bluegrass/Ryegrass used in the northern/Midwest areas.

Northwestern definitely lets their turf get a little hairy.

It makes you wonder about Iowa's next "stadium renovation". Love what has been done with the North End Zone. But to me it needs to continue. It is now SO EASY with 4K big screens in every living room to just stay home.. a much better experience. What was done in the North end zone.. is the south end zone next? Do you completely redo the west side (I don't think there is anymore they can do on the east side.. it is what it is). As everyone saw, without expanding the footprint (only possible to the west I think), every transformation sacrifices seaats. Thoughts?

I highly doubt that Iowa touches the structure of the West side, but they definitely won’t completely redo it. Just from a historical aspect.

The only thing I would do is mirror the SEZ to that of the NEZ, with or without the indoor club seating. The last renovation brought the NEZ fans closer to the field by building it at more of an incline while providing a much better view of the entire field. It’s steep. It also enclosed the corners trapping the sound inside the stadium making it much louder. . The NEZ also has Pacha Family club level indoor/outdoor seating. I doubt the average fan is looking to spend $2,500 for a season ticket here.

I’m taking the liberty of assuming that the only real obstacle of mirroring the SEZ to the NEZ is that it just recently went through costly renovations not that long ago, which I believe included the locker rooms.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Smart phones, home entertainment w/every game on, tv cash…all reasons this trend will continue.

Stanford still seats 50K is not an opinion. It's a fact. 50K is still a good sized stadium by today's standards...right in there with Minnesota, Maryland, Indiana, Rutgers and right in the middle of their conference (while it still exists).

NW downsizing does make sense, I just think they're taking it a bit too far.

Neb is doing a remodel, the bleachers aren't good and they're adjusting. Let me know when they reduce capacity by 20K. That would be a shocker.
I’m sure the NW administrators and Ryan family would appreciate someone with your planning and analytical chops

You stop with it and you build a beauty of a brand new modern stadium. Jerry World north. You use that sucker for all things outside Iowa football too.

Northwestern.......................................If we are gonna suck balls, we are gonna look great doing it".

With 12K fewer seats, they should be able to hit 80% capacity over a full season.
giphy.gif

I’m sure the NW administrators and Ryan family would appreciate someone with your planning and analytical chops
Are we having a bad day? it's just an opinion... relax.

Last edited:
Similar thing happened with Minnesota. This is Minny's 14th year playing at their current stadium.

64,111: Seating capacity of the Metrodome, where Iowa fans loved the 70 degree temperature controlled environment & took over the place

50,805: Seating capacity of Huntington Bank Stadium (opened in Sep, 2009)
Aaahh...the Metrodome. I once watched Iowa Football fans have a jousting tournament after an Iowa win over Minnesota. I could never figure out where they got those long jousting poles.

ADVERTISEMENT