ADVERTISEMENT

Not getting change back - when do you say something?

Feb 9, 2013
What’s with this trend to not giving change back? Normally I wouldn’t care but it’s a bit presumptuous to keep 15 or 20 cents. I recently had one guy at the drive thru ask me if I wanted change from a $5 on a ~$4.40 bill. Wth?

Anyone else notice this? Do you say something? At what amount?

WTF? I have not encountered this. I'm seeing it happen the other way... cashiers are rounding up to the nearest 5 cents in my favor.

I bought a cup of gas station coffee during the hurricane power outage for $2.12. Gave the cashier $3 and got $0.90 back.

I would guess very few people use cash to pay. They probably are not carrying much cash and change in the register. Just a guess though.

Reactions: cfbfan23
If there’s no quarters in the change, I don’t want it.

This. I’m throwing any other coin into a tip/charity jar anyway.

But now I have this massive pile of quarters. I very rarely use cash so I’m not walking around with a bunch of coins in my pocket, that’s just dumb. So it never gets spent.

I would guess very few people use cash to pay. They probably are not carrying much cash and change in the register. Just a guess though.
I still pay cash at most restaurants. If the server keeps the coins, I assume they want that as their tip. More often than not, they round up my change to the nearest dollar. When that happens, I bump up what I leave on the table.

I rarely use cash for anything, so I've never had this occur.

But the choice should always be yours. Any cash and cashier type transaction should never assume the customer doesn't want it back.

Reactions: Gimmered
This. I’m throwing any other coin into a tip/charity jar anyway.

But now I have this massive pile of quarters. I very rarely use cash so I’m not walking around with a bunch of coins in my pocket, that’s just dumb. So it never gets spent.

Why are you walking around with all your spare quarters all the time? I know you probably aren't, but that's how it read.

I keep mine in a container on my dresser. When it's full we head over to the old arcade restaurant and play some vintage arcade games/pinball

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Rarely pay cash but what gets asked time after time regardless of how I pay is whether I want to "round up to the nearest dollar" to support this or that particular cause.

No. I don't.

• Love
Reactions: NDallasRuss
I almost always pay cash but have never had this issue. All change goes into a growler until it’s full and gets turned into an Amazon gift card at the grocery store a few times a year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT