ADVERTISEMENT

not our best recruiting class

2015: dont really fault the first four, they all showed a lot of potential early. But we did not get a ton of juice out of the squeeze on this class.
Dale Jones
F Tyler, TX 6'8" 220
Christian Williams
G Decatur, IL 6'5" 190
Isaiah Moss
F Chicago, IL 6'5" 175
Ahmad Wagner
F Huber Heights, OH 6'7" 215
Andrew Fleming
G Mouth of Wilson, VA 6'4" 200
Brandon Hutton
F Chicago, IL
This has to be one of the worst all-time b-ball recruiting classes at Iowa (when recruiting four or more players). I give credit to Fran for being able to recover this past year and get to the second round of the tournament, but you can't afford another disaster class like this. It's really tough to think that an experienced head coach, two experienced assistants (that were former head coaches) and a young assistant (that Fran referred to one time as a barracuda or piranha as a recruiter) - signed off on that class.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
I would argue to none of them showed any potential early.

Fair enough, but was if anything, basing on the minutes that Wagner, Moss and to a lesser degree Williams played (17, 16 and 14 minutes per game in 2016-17). Jones is a bit different given he played in JC. I would say Hutton and Fleming showed zero potential. Now clearly, Wagner just did not develop as an offensive player and was overtaken by others as his career went on. Moss was the beneficiary of limited competition at the 2G (post Jok) but did blossom into a very good 3P shooter, and Williams, like Wagner, really developed no sign of any offensive game and thus was also overtaken. I would agree with you in that none of them really "stood out" early, but were more "as expected"(Wagner and Moss at least). But stepping back, it was a crappy class.

When looking at the potential in recruiting 6 kids at once, that probably has to be the worst class we’ve had in 40 or more years.

5 x 4 year players
1 x 2 year player
= 22 potential seasons of these players

Only 6 seasons worth of players getting at least 10 min/game out of that 22. Moss x 3, Williams x 1, Wagner x 2, and one of Wagner’s just barely qualifies at 10.1.

The prior year’s class(Uhl, Brady, Dickerson, walk on Baer) had 9 seasons of a player getting 10 or more minutes per game, with only 3 scholarship players + Baer.

If transferring becomes more and more unchecked, Freshmen recruiting classes are going to become less important.
Outside of the one and done level of players I think there's merit to that.
It will be very difficult for programs to compete consistently if they have to count on developing multiple players in every class. One class that's a bust, like Iowa 2015, is much harder to overcome than for a coach that works the transfer and JC markets hard.

Reactions: BrR9876
This has to be one of the worst all-time b-ball recruiting classes at Iowa (when recruiting four or more players). I give credit to Fran for being able to recover this past year and get to the second round of the tournament, but you can't afford another disaster class like this. It's really tough to think that an experienced head coach, two experienced assistants (that were former head coaches) and a young assistant (that Fran referred to one time as a barracuda or piranha as a recruiter) - signed off on that class.

Another class I always point to a downfall for Alford at Iowa and one of the worst recruiting classes was the freshman in the 04’ class. They were sophs during Horner and bruners senior year and contributed barely anything that year and after they graduated. About only positive from that class was an Alex Thompson 3 late in the big 10 title game. Only saving grace was Doug Thomas was a juco in it.

Iowa ended up with Alex Thompson who transferred to isu. Carlton reed injuries got to him and ended up transferring to uni. JR Angle kid from Indiana who Alford took a commitment as a HS sophomore only to be a bench warmer even as a 5th yr senior. Lastly Seth gorney who was sadly the best of the group being a marginal center who never put up much numbers wise.

Fran is in the front door with some good prospects but, of course, getting them to commit to Iowa has been an uphill battle.
Sure it has been, pretty easy choice for HS kid. If two schools are similar and one school offers you 40K and the other doesn't......unless you are some morally strong or rich ass teenager what would you choose? Here's to the hope that teams that we all know have been cheating for a long long time get what they deserve- Hello Kansas, Arizona, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, MSU, heck even Iowa under Lute and George were cheating.

Sure it has been, pretty easy choice for HS kid. If two schools are similar and one school offers you 40K and the other doesn't......unless you are some morally strong or rich ass teenager what would you choose? Here's to the hope that teams that we all know have been cheating for a long long time get what they deserve- Hello Kansas, Arizona, Kentucky, Duke, UNC, MSU, heck even Iowa under Lute and George were cheating.
Were Lute & George paying players?

I’ve never heard stories of them cheating.

I fault Fran a great deal for not going hard after a Juco here or there to spread out the awful distribution of our players. Even if the Juco doesn't pan out, he is gone in 2 years and you can get a 4 year kid. Instead of having a scholly tied up for 4 years on someone like Williams or Wagner (I know they didn't stay that long, but could have), it's 2 and gone.

09 Brennan Cougill
09 Cully Payne
09 Devon Archie
09 Eric May

08 Aaron Fuller
08 Andrew Brommer
08 Anthony Tucker
08 Devan Bawinkel
08 Jermain Davis
08 Matt Gatens

Lick's recruiting classes - Gatens committed to Alford long before Lick, May was a Hawkeye lock as well. I think Gatens, May and Brommer made it thru to the end. (Gatens & May weren't going anywhere)

Couple of other guys that saw few minutes.

Recruiting classes over 3 usually have a couple of reaches, guys they like or see something in that they hope develops knowing they will probably transfer out in a couple year if they can't compete.

I expect that 3 guys from a 5-6 man recruiting class will leave before their eligibility is used up. The coach should always be recruiting the best players to fit his program and many are likely to be better than some on the roster

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
When looking at the potential in recruiting 6 kids at once, that probably has to be the worst class we’ve had in 40 or more years.

5 x 4 year players
1 x 2 year player
= 22 potential seasons of these players

Only 6 seasons worth of players getting at least 10 min/game out of that 22. Moss x 3, Williams x 1, Wagner x 2, and one of Wagner’s just barely qualifies at 10.1.

The prior year’s class(Uhl, Brady, Dickerson, walk on Baer) had 9 seasons of a player getting 10 or more minutes per game, with only 3 scholarship players + Baer.
So basically 2 years and 10 recruits, and the best is the walk-on?

So basically 2 years and 10 recruits, and the best is the walk-on?
Yes it does look even worse when you put it together with the prior year's group.

Baer is the standout of the bunch.
Moss is a significant contributor.
Uhl had one really good month, and not much else.
Wagner had occasional spurts as a garbageman football player/athlete.

That's not much production from a group of 10 players

I get that recruiting is an inexact science, but that's a lot of misses in a two year span.

Good luck waiting for any blue blood to be sanctioned by the ncaa.

Another class I always point to a downfall for Alford at Iowa and one of the worst recruiting classes was the freshman in the 04’ class. They were sophs during Horner and bruners senior year and contributed barely anything that year and after they graduated. About only positive from that class was an Alex Thompson 3 late in the big 10 title game. Only saving grace was Doug Thomas was a juco in it.

Iowa ended up with Alex Thompson who transferred to isu. Carlton reed injuries got to him and ended up transferring to uni. JR Angle kid from Indiana who Alford took a commitment as a HS sophomore only to be a bench warmer even as a 5th yr senior. Lastly Seth gorney who was sadly the best of the group being a marginal center who never put up much numbers wise.

Thanks for these shitty memories.

Those are bad classes, but no coach is immune. I want to say Lute Olsen had a class of Johnny Fort, Brian Snedekker and some third bust in the same class right before he left.

Were Lute & George paying players?

I’ve never heard stories of them cheating.
George for sure, he was best friends with the "sole man" who started this whole AAU shoe summer circuit- heck he was the best man in his wedding. I mean look at Iowa's recruiting history before and after George (to some extent Lute too)

What non-contributors has Fran kept around for 4 years? He has been pretty good about not tying up scholarships.

What non-contributors has Fran kept around for 4 years? He has been pretty good about not tying up scholarships.

Wagner, Dailey, Uhl, Ellingson, to name a few. Williams would have been another. So Fran gets points for only wasting 3 years on guys vs. 4? How about recruit guys who can stay and play? That would be a novel concept for Fran.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT