ADVERTISEMENT

Not so good stat in the game

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
“Iowa did not record a sack in the game and had three quarterback hurries.”

As much as the defense carries this team not having one sack kills… but I still point to inept offensive strategy and complete shit show for QB… and the oline… at least you can give an excuse for the line being rather young however you can’t say that with the QB… I disagree with anyone who thinks that subbing Padilla for Petras wouldn’t do anything or even the fact of making it worse… right now my 50 year old black ass could do better- (jk) no way but I say like many give the young guys (QB) some time otherwise we are going into 23 with a brand new QB… if any of them actually don’t hit the portal… at least that way we can try DeJean at QB as we won’t have shit on a cracker for QB

Can we turn this season around? I don’t think so as BFKF clan is going to ride the horse right out of IC with a big fat bank account- this SUCKS

“Iowa did not record a sack in the game and had three quarterback hurries.”

Surprising stat, but I honestly am not alarmed at this. Amongst team defense goals:
prevent points, win the field position game, get the ball back for the offense (others?), there's more than 1 way to do these.
Sacks and hurries are just 1 way.

We allowed 9 points, gave the offense the ball on the 5 and 35, and lost. I cannot and will not blame anything on the defense.
And yet we will a bit later in the day.

Namely, they are 27th in run defense and have given up a few 100 yd rushers.

One way they can help themselves stay off the field to keep the number of plays they are on the field down is doing a better job of stopping the run......

Don't get pushed for 3-5 yds every 1st down and let teams dink and dunk and chip away like Iowa State, Michigan and now Illinois have.

And yet we will a bit later in the day.

Namely, they are 27th in run defense and have given up a few 100 yd rushers.

One way they can help themselves stay off the field to keep the number of plays they are on the field down is doing a better job of stopping the run......

Don't get pushed for 3-5 yds every 1st down and let teams dink and dunk and chip away like Iowa State, Michigan and now Illinois have.
The TOP difference in games is killing our defense and hurting their ability to make stops later in the game. In the ISU game, our offense had the ball for less than 22 minutes. Meaning our defense was on the field almost twice as much as ISU's defense. Before the ISU TD that won them the game, our offense had 6 straight possessions that lasted five or fewer plays. In between those possessions our defense grabbed two interceptions, forced a punt, blocked another punt, and gave up a total of 31 yards to ISU's offense across 4 possessions. Yep, the 99 yard drive sucked and was extended because of a bad penalty call. But you can't blame the defense for giving up a total of 10 points in that game when our offense gave the ball away three times.

Here's the TOP difference for every game this year.
SDSU - Iowa +24 seconds
ISU - Iowa -16 minutes 30 seconds
Nevada - Iowa -6 seconds
Rutgers - Iowa -1 minute 16 seconds
Michigan - Iowa -7 minutes 28 seconds
Illinois - Iowa -1 minute 10 seconds

That's it, we won time of possession against the FCS team, and only barely at that. The offense's inability to stay on the field cost us the ISU game and inability to finish a drive cost us the Illinois game. The Michigan game could have been very different if we had an offense with a pulse, maybe not a win but something much closer at the end with a shot at a win.

The TOP difference in games is killing our defense and hurting their ability to make stops later in the game. In the ISU game, our offense had the ball for less than 22 minutes. Meaning our defense was on the field almost twice as much as ISU's defense. Before the ISU TD that won them the game, our offense had 6 straight possessions that lasted five or fewer plays. In between those possessions our defense grabbed two interceptions, forced a punt, blocked another punt, and gave up a total of 31 yards to ISU's offense across 4 possessions. Yep, the 99 yard drive sucked and was extended because of a bad penalty call. But you can't blame the defense for giving up a total of 10 points in that game when our offense gave the ball away three times.

Here's the TOP difference for every game this year.
SDSU - Iowa +24 seconds
ISU - Iowa -16 minutes 30 seconds
Nevada - Iowa -6 seconds
Rutgers - Iowa -1 minute 16 seconds
Michigan - Iowa -7 minutes 28 seconds
Illinois - Iowa -1 minute 10 seconds

That's it, we won time of possession against the FCS team, and only barely at that. The offense's inability to stay on the field cost us the ISU game and inability to finish a drive cost us the Illinois game. The Michigan game could have been very different if we had an offense with a pulse, maybe not a win but something much closer at the end with a shot at a win.
I don't disagree. And that's why the thread for the defense will be separate.

Defense kinda gets tired playing almost constantly since the offense can’t sustain drives and give them the much needed rest they need to try and muster enough energy to prevent the other team from scoring, at all.

I feel for this defense. They will be exhausted after week 12 and a wasted defense and special teams this season just so KF/BF can prove they were right in playing SP every play and not going bowling. But they were right and proved it to everybody once the season is over. They live in an alternative reality world is all I can say.

You want a "not so good stat?" 5 of our first 9 possessions lost yardage. 5 out of the first 9, the drive ended farther away from the endzone than when it started. Penalties, sacks, runs for loss, it was a goddamn mess.

ADVERTISEMENT