ADVERTISEMENT

Not to sound like an old fart whining about how you used to be able to get a lunch for $5, but...

Feb 9, 2013
I’ve resigned myself to the fact that a simple takeout lunch is now at least $10-12, and often even more.

Reataurants are clearly trying to recover some of those costs through drink prices and shrinking portions and quality. Hardly seems worth it any longer.

Do you have a breaking point or do you just say screw it and pay whatever it costs?

Reactions: GOHOX69
It's going to get a lot worse.

Let's go Brandon.
You know you have a damn powerful leader when his policies affect inflation on another continent.

You know you have a damn powerful leader when his policies affect inflation on another continent.

When you realize all these G7 idiots are on the same team, it starts to make a little sense, especially when they start talking about globalization.

It's all being done on purpose. You, along with most of the general public are getting played.

And btw - 8.5% inflation, my ass.

When you realize all these G7 idiots are on the same team, it starts to make a little sense, especially when they start talking about globalization.

It's all being done on purpose. You, along with most of the general public are getting played.

And btw - 8.5% inflation, my ass.
Since you seem to know so much, please fill us in as to what inflation is now in Russia and how do you deal with it.

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that a simple takeout lunch is now at least $10-12, and often even more.

Reataurants are clearly trying to recover some of those costs through drink prices and shrinking portions and quality. Hardly seems worth it any longer.

Do you have a breaking point or do you just say screw it and pay whatever it costs?
Your secretary tells you how much you paid for lunch?

I didn't eat out a lot before this inflation hit but I'm certainly eating out much less now. Sadly there's not much more of a price reprieve buying groceries either nowadays.

Eating out at a decent restaurant is a once or twice a month splurge, things like Steakhouses are certainly not happening on my budget, either.

The past 14 years, with having 2 kids, has trained me to live frugally anyhow and even more so the past 5 as a single parent. Even living as a cheap bastard, it's still painful now with this economy. 😔

Prices certainly are going up and may retreat some in the future once we hit whatever level of recession we get into, but I’m not going to throw all the blame on Biden… nor Trump. They both played a role as do all of the other bought and paid for politicians. Until we the people take back control from corporations we will always be on the short end of the stick. Corporate and Politics are always going to get their money.

You guys are still not accepting his failure? It’s proven in the data. You can throw some chart up showing a bunch of shithole countries’ inflation rates to deflect, but the research doesn’t lie.

• Haha
Reactions: DFSNOLE
I reached the breaking point on eating out 5 or so years ago.

Once a month. I try to eat out in ANY fashion just once a month. It isn't about being poor (yes I am poor compared to all the millionaires here) so much as I got other things to spend money on that are much more important and I can make perfectly fine meals at home (or bring something to work if needed) that are much less expensive.

It adds up, all those little spends that really don't need to be spent. It's not being cheap, it's being budget responsible as far as I'm concerned.

Foodservice inflation costs in the 1st quarter were over 17%. Are they all supposed to just absorb those increases? The restaurants aren't just raising prices for no reason.

Foodservice inflation costs in the 1st quarter were over 17%. Are they all supposed to just absorb those increases? The restaurants aren't just raising prices for no reason.
Oh sure, I understand they’re trying to survive. More asking where’s the point consumers just cut back and quit patronizing restaurants?

Reactions: NCHawk5

I honestly haven't noticed a difference yet. Dinner out still seems to come to about the same price as it did before the pandemic.

Oh sure, I understand they’re trying to survive. More asking where’s the point consumers just cut back and quit patronizing restaurants?
Does anybody know how to cook for themselves anymore? Hell, most people probably don't even know where these restaurants are located, they just know the food shows up at their door after they push the buttons on their phones.
I guess if they can cook, they will just push the button on their phones and the groceries show up at their door.

I'd expect it to continue in this direction.

Inflation is real, trucks bring everything to every restaurant and there has been a huge gap between what the "frugal" customer-base thinks is fair and the reality of the cost to provide them with service for years.

It's anecdotal, but I have heard from a couple industry people in the last few months that have raised prices and been pleasantly surprised in the shift of their customer base. It obviously can't work in very small market areas, but the reality is that those that complain the most about menu prices also tend to be the most difficult to please and pricing them out makes it easier to retain help.

Prices certainly are going up and may retreat some in the future once we hit whatever level of recession we get into, but I’m not going to throw all the blame on Biden… nor Trump. They both played a role as do all of the other bought and paid for politicians. Until we the people take back control from corporations we will always be on the short end of the stick. Corporate and Politics are always going to get their money.
I’d be much more inclined to blame a now nearly 3 year global pandemic and a land war in Europe than any politician, but that isn’t the way the game is played anymore.

I think the best quality for the money in the fast casual/fast food area are burritos from local joints, and then if they are not available, chains like qdoba, chipotle, and I suppose Pancheros. Fresh pressed tortilla, fresh veggies, actual chunks of meat that are grilled, freshly made sauces, etc. The place I get burritos from for lunch here in DSM, Fernando's, is $10 for a steak burrito. They are delicious and pretty nutritious.

Does anybody know how to cook for themselves anymore? Hell, most people probably don't even know where these restaurants are located, they just know the food shows up at their door after they push the buttons on their phones.
I guess if they can cook, they will just push the button on their phones and the groceries show up at their door.
We cook at our house a lot. My wife has gotten Chinese dialed in. Homemade egg rolls and crab Rangoon. I make an excellent cast iron deep dish pizza with a corn meal crust. Reverse searing steaks makes them excellent all the time.

when we eat out now it’s mostly family owned Mexican. Still an excellent value and the servers seem to be the most consistently competent.

if we stop for bar food I usually get the cheapest sand which on the menu because at the end of the day it’s just a sandwich.

I honestly haven't noticed a difference yet. Dinner out still seems to come to about the same price as it did before the pandemic.
The places which charge you the same are surely giving you smaller portions, or they were previously marked up a ton, or they don't care if they will be in business going forward.

I can get Thai food for 9.00. Garlic chicken with rice. That is the best deal for me as it is also fairly healthy.
The other lunch I get most often is Thai, although that seems to be more like 12 or 13. Still though, fresh veggies, chunks of actual meat, etc.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT