ADVERTISEMENT

Noted: Freshman GOP lawmaker says she’s ‘willing to support a shutdown’

Shutdowns in the past have not been politically good for the party pushing them.

Don't plan any vacations to national parks any time soon.
This is way different than a government shutdown. This is the US defaulting on its debt and not paying its bills. SS checks not going out.

It's just amazing how Republicans only threaten this when Democrats control the White House. When the Republicans have total control of House/Senate/Presidency they of course pass tax cuts and have no concerns when it comes to deficits, then they wait until Democrats have the White House and they get control of a branch of Congress and go the brinkmanship route to "cut spending".

They're just so comprehensively full of shit.

This is way different than a government shutdown. This is the US defaulting on its debt and not paying its bills. SS checks not going out.

It's just amazing how Republicans only threaten this when Democrats control the White House. When the Republicans have total control of House/Senate/Presidency they of course pass tax cuts and have no concerns when it comes to deficits, then they wait until Democrats have the White House and they get control of a branch of Congress and go the brinkmanship route to "cut spending".

They're just so comprehensively full of shit.

No I agree. . . and the Republicans are the ones that are going to take the hit if they do this. Quite frankly I'm surprised that they still throw this idea around when the past has shown repeatedly that holding the government hostage for your demands is not a winner at the ballot box.

Some don’t seem to understand what’s going on. Suppose your S.O. Goes on a spending spree maxing out credit cards etc. when the bills start coming in you are faced with two separate issues. 1. Getting her spending under control. 2. Paying off what she has already spent. With number one you can take her credit cards away and put her on a budget. With number two you have but one option, pay off the cc. These are two separate issues. The US has no option but to pay the debt. They do have complete control over future debt by raising taxes and cutting spending
But it is much better political theater to cut off your nose to spite your face!

Reactions: cigaretteman
Trumpkin moran:

In a possible preview of the fiscal brinkmanship that lies ahead in Congress, Rep. Anna Paulina Luna (R-Fla.), among the new hard-line conservatives in the House, said in a television interview Wednesday that she is “willing to support” a government shutdown if GOP demands can’t be met in spending negotiations.
“I hope it doesn’t get to that, but I’m willing to support one,” Luna said during an interview on Fox Business Network, adding that she wants to see the elimination of “pork, runaway inflation spending.”
“And so, I’m willing to have those discussions. I’m willing to support a shutdown,” Luna said.
House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) is likely to face significant challenges in holding together his caucus on spending negotiations with the Democratic-led Senate.
To put an end to days of raucous debate over the speakership, party lawmakers last week agreed to take a hard line in upcoming budget talks, potentially including demands for significant changes to Social Security and Medicare. If McCarthy bends toward Senate positions too much, he risks losing the support of some Republicans in his narrow House majority.
Luna was one of the original holdouts in voting for McCarthy as speaker. She is an election denier who was endorsed by former president Donald Trump.

This Trumptard is probably living pay check to pay check. Stop paying congress during a shutdown and she'll quickly end it.

Among the things in this country I don't understand.

The government has to approve the spending, and then have to approve actually paying for it. Seems incredibly inefficient.

Of course you could balance spending the way Bill Clinton did...adjust the tax rates to a more equitable level, go to a “pay-go” finance system in new spending....Why not try something that actually worked once before.....as the economy FLOURISHED! Is there that much politics out there...or are the GOPers just flapping their gums, again?

Sign me up for some more bill Clinton.

If Republicans want to have an honest discussion about spending they need to include defense spending. Some of the deficit hawks have committed to “looking at” defense spending. Other Republicans have said they intend to cut spending, including entitlement spending, with an eye on raising defense spending.

Simply put, there is no single approach that will work. Taxes have to go up, they are at historically low rates. Spending has to go down in areas that hurt politically.

The time to make those decisions is during the budget process. Not during the debt ceiling process.

Yeah, you don't understand this at all. So let's say you have $100,000 in credit card debt. Would quitting your job to cut your income do ANYTHING to address that debt?

I would never allow myself to get 100k in credit card debt. If I was ever dumb enough to actually need new debt to pay my old debt, I would be restructuring my budget and finances.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
I'd take a couple "government shutdowns" if it'd put an end to passing "budgets" through crap omnibus bills.

I would never allow myself to get 100k in credit card debt. If I was ever dumb enough to actually need new debt to pay my old debt, I would be restructuring my budget and finances.
And you are NOT a government. That is why the argument of running the budgets of a family and the government are the same.....when they are not. As a "family" you can pick and choose where and how to spend your dollars.....as a government, you never know when the next flood, fire, war, national emergency bis going to occur....but you understand that as "the government" it is your obligation to help out and assist (financially bail out) the victims.....in short, you have to come up flashing the cash. That is hard if not impossible to "budget"...........

Jeez I thought there were rules around here....friggin' Thunderdome.
image_750x_62d45ebe36205.jpg

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
And you are NOT a government. That is why the argument of running the budgets of a family and the government are the same.....when they are not. As a "family" you can pick and choose where and how to spend your dollars.....as a government, you never know when the next flood, fire, war, national emergency bis going to occur....but you understand that as "the government" it is your obligation to help out and assist (financially bail out) the victims.....in short, you have to come up flashing the cash. That is hard if not impossible to "budget"...........

Well no shit. Maybe you should tell that to the ridiculously dumb poster I was quoting.

Yet not a single poster agrees with you. Just stop it.

I think it’s cute you think I care if anyone in this thread agrees with me. Let me fill you in on a little secret. I don’t. Now I will sit back and continue to wait for you to let me know what amount of debt you are comfortable with our government running our debt up to.

I think it’s cute you think I care if anyone in this thread agrees with me. Let me fill you in on a little secret. I don’t. Now I will sit back and continue to wait for you to let me know what amount of debt you are comfortable with our government running our debt up to.
I don't like running up the debt. I also don't like defaulting on our bills. You can't put the 2 together.

I'm not saying you are saying this, but it's funny how it's always "time for responsible spending" once Dems are in office. Aren't Rs supposed to be the fiscally, ya know, conservative party?

There is nothing fiscally conservative about the Republican Party. They are a ducking joke.

Reactions: srams21
I don't like running up the debt. I also don't like defaulting on our bills. You can't put the 2 together.

And you seem to suffer from a lack of reading comprehension. I never said a word about defaulting on our debt. That would be catastrophic. Not what I want. So, I ask again, how much debt are you comfortable with the government running up before you say enough is enough. Give me an answer or get lost.

And you seem to suffer from a lack of reading comprehension. I never said a word about defaulting on our debt. That would be catastrophic. Not what I want. So, I ask again, how much debt are you comfortable with the government running up before you say enough is enough. Give me an answer or get lost.
Enough to pay our bills. Moron.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT