ADVERTISEMENT

Noted: Ga. Republican lieutenant governor leaves ballot blank rather than vote for Walker

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Good for him!:
Georgia Lt. Gov. Geoff Duncan, one of his state’s highest-ranking Republicans, says he left his ballot blank rather than vote for GOP nominee Herschel Walker in the Senate runoff against Sen. Raphael G. Warnock (D-Ga.).
Duncan shared with CNN on Wednesday night that he waited in line for an hour to vote early at a busy polling site but decided he couldn’t vote for either candidate once the time came.
“It was the most disappointing ballot I’ve ever stared at in my entire life since I started voting,” Duncan said. “I had two candidates who I just couldn’t find anything that it made any sense to put my vote behind. So I walked out of that ballot box, showing up to vote but not voting for either one of them.”
In a subsequent interview published Thursday in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Duncan elaborated on his decision.
“Like many conservatives across Georgia, I’ve been waiting for Herschel Walker to give me a reason to support him. Regrettably, he hasn’t, and that’s why I was forced to leave my ballot blank,” he said.
Duncan also made clear he’s not a fan of Warnock.
“Georgia deserves better than Senator Warnock, whose left-wing voting record is way out of step with their priorities and would never earn my support,” Duncan said. “The Republican Party deserves better than Herschel Walker. To rebuild, we need less team players and more team leaders.”
Walker gained fame as a college football player at the University of Georgia.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT