ADVERTISEMENT

Noted: Lawmakers on both sides of aisle celebrate Respect for Marriage Act

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Today, the Senate passed legislation that seeks to protect same-sex marriages in the event that the Supreme Court overturns a landmark 2015 ruling that legalized them nationwide. The push for the bill began after the court overturned Roe v. Wade, sparking fears that it could take away rights beyond abortion. The bill will now return to the House, where Democrats remain in the majority for the lame-duck session. President Biden has pledged to sign the legislation.

Biden sharpened his 2024 pitch on the economy is in Bay City, Mich., on Tuesday to tout the growth of manufacturing jobs during his tenure. Before leaving Washington, he met with congressional leaders at the White House about spending legislation and a bill to avert a national rail strike. The House will consider the latter on Wednesday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said.
Press Enter to skip to end of carousel

End of carousel

18 mins ago

Noted: Lawmakers on both sides of aisle celebrate Respect for Marriage Act​

Return to menu

Lawmakers rejoiced after the Senate passed Respect for Marriage Act, celebrating a historical bill that garnered bipartisan support and will now head to the House for a final vote.
“Tonight, the Senate took a historic step to help prevent discrimination, promote equality and protect the rights of all Americans by passing the Respect for Marriage Act that [Sen. Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.)] and I authored,” Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) tweeted. “Our bill would help ensure everyone is treated with respect and dignity.”

47 mins ago

Return to menu

By Mariana Alfaro
Reporter on the breaking political news team
Twelve Senate Republicans voted to pass the Respect for Marriage Act, highlighting the importance of bipartisan support behind the historic measure. They are: Roy Blunt (Mo.), Richard Burr (N.C.), Shelley Moore Capito (W.Va.), Susan Collins (Maine), Joni Ernst (Iowa), Cynthia M. Lummis (Wyo.), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska), Rob Portman (Ohio), Mitt Romney (Utah), Dan Sullivan (Alaska), Thom Tillis (N.C.) and Todd C. Young (Ind.).

Key update
51 mins ago

This just in: Senate passes measure that would codify marriage equality​

Return to menu

By a 61-36 vote, the Senate on Tuesday evening passed a bill that would enshrine marriage equality into law.
The measure, known as the Respect for Marriage Act, will head back to the House for another vote, where it is expected to pass. President Biden has pledged to sign it into law.
Twelve Republicans joined Democrats to vote for it. Three senators did not vote.
Ahead of the final vote, Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), who helped broker a bipartisan deal to secure the bill’s passaging, thanked her GOP colleagues who joined her in support of marriage equality.

I'm still surprised the Tillis supported it. I can imagine a right-winger using that against him in a primary. Burr isn't really a surprise, he's retiring anyway and he used to be a moderate Republican who I knew personally and voted for.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I'm still surprised the Tillis supported it. I can imagine a right-winger using that against him in a primary. Burr isn't really a surprise, he's retiring anyway and he used to be a moderate Republican who I knew personally and voted for.
Tillis struggled to condemn Trump for having Ye and Fuentes to dinner, but supported this. Weird.

If you want to be impressed by a Republican today, check out Wyoming’s Cynthia Lummis. She was powerful in support of the law, and the vote is of no benefit to her at home. No triangulation on her part. She just showed unusual courage.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT