ADVERTISEMENT

Noted: Trump says give Rep. Cawthorn ‘a second chance’

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Former president Donald Trump, on the eve of the North Carolina primaries, is urging voters to give embattled Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-N.C.) a “second chance.”
Cawthorn has been a magnet for controversy during his first term and is facing seven primary challengers Tuesday, including state Sen. Chuck Edwards (R), who has drawn some high-profile endorsements.
“At 18 years of age, Madison Cawthorn, the now 26 year old Congressman from the Great State of North Carolina, went through a life changing event the likes of which, fortunately, few people will ever have to endure,” Trump wrote on Truth Social, his social media site, referencing the car crash Cawthorn was involved in when he was 18 that left him paralyzed.
“In just seconds, he lost the use of the lower half of his body, a traumatic experience to say the least. When Madison was first elected to Congress, he did a great job. Recently, he made some foolish mistakes, which I don’t believe he’ll make again … let’s give Madison a second chance!”
The Post’s Amber Phillips has catalogued the Cawthorn controversies here.
Just to cite a few: He accused Washington Republicans of hosting orgies and using cocaine. He called Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky a “thug.” He tried to carry a gun onto a plane, twice. He has been cited for driving without a license, twice. And he’s been cited for speeding, twice.

Leave it to Trump to look past every heinous / goofy thing MC has said and done in order to get a few minutes of air time with an endorsement. As I have said, it also seems like Trump wants to defend other scum bags because in his mind he’s been treated SO UNFAIRLY!!
If MC loses, no worries, Trump will endorse the winner, and say he liked them all along.

mqdefault.jpg

Reactions: GES4

One night late last month at the Lambuth Inn, a Christian retreat on Lake Junaluska, he was absent at the Haywood County GOP’s forum for the candidates running for his seat. The seven other candidates spent the first half of the two hours delivering expected Republican fare — tax cuts, Joe Biden, inflation, their respective anti-establishment, Christian cred — before they finally got to what this election actually is. It’s a referendum on Cawthorn.

“There’s an elephant in the room that we haven’t been talking about, and that is the empty seat,” said Woodhouse, the former district GOP chair who’s now running against him. “I’m as disappointed as anyone in the headlines that we’re seeing and the behavior and the decisions of our sitting congressman.”

“Madison,” said Rod Honeycutt, a retired Army colonel who’s been running since last summer, “is a young man in trouble.”

When it was over, I sought out Matthew Burril, who casts his candidacy in a decidedly faith-based light. Cawthorn had sought his support in 2020. “As a Christian,” Burril said, “it is to me very painful to watch his spiral.”

Candidate Bruce O’Connell, the owner of the Pisgah Inn on the Blue Ridge Parkway, was standing near the exit with Karen Wilson, his partner and campaign coordinator. “I voted for Madison originally, I donated to him originally, I like him — but he’s … self-destructing,” O’Connell told me. The night before, he said to my surprise, he and Wilson had gone out to dinner with Cawthorn. Most of the others running had been at an NAACP forum in Hendersonville, including the handful of Democrats, but O’Connell and Cawthorn had opted to go to the meeting of the Republican club of Swain County. Afterward, he said, they ended up together at an Italian restaurant in Bryson City called Pasqualino’s.

Wilson told me she left their dinner with Cawthorn wondering whether in some small way if he didn’t win, he would be …

“Relieved,” she whispered.

“I got that clear sense,” she said.

“Think about it, what he’s gone through,” she continued, mentioning his accident, his candidacy in 2020 that took him in a little more than eight months from a no-name who had just gotten off a cruise to a primetime speaking slot at the RNC, the dizzying year and a half he’s been in Congress, his quickly broken marriage. She told me the ways Cawthorn visibly had shifted uncomfortably in his wheelchair. She said he had talked a lot about his hope for miraculous advancements in spinal cord repair. “He’s in pain when he’s sitting there with you. He has to do things,” she said, “because he’s in pain.”

If you were to hear about a 25 year old getting elected to the House of Representatives by getting almost a quarter of a million votes in a 54%-42% contest against a JAG veteran and federal administrative law judge and given only those details only, what types of things would you assume about the 25 year old? Wealthy family? Self attained fame (like a musician or actor)? Wunderkind?

The campaign source also told the Daily Beast that Cawthorn's campaign spent "egregiously," referring to $1500 spent at Chick-fil-A, $21,000 spent for lodging in Florida, and nearly $3,000 at a place listed as Papa's Beer.

That is a lot of chicken. Papa’s and Beer is a pretty popular local Mexican food chain. Not “upscale”, which seems to fit his frat boy style.

The campaign source also told the Daily Beast that Cawthorn's campaign spent "egregiously," referring to $1500 spent at Chick-fil-A, $21,000 spent for lodging in Florida, and nearly $3,000 at a place listed as Papa's Beer.

That is a lot of chicken. Papa’s and Beer is a pretty popular local Mexican food chain. Not “upscale”, which seems to fit his frat boy style.
$30 million settlement + $175k/year and he’s using general election funds to pay for chicken sandwiches and Mexican food.

A MAGA grifter ‘til the end.

If you were to hear about a 25 year old getting elected to the House of Representatives by getting almost a quarter of a million votes in a 54%-42% contest against a JAG veteran and federal administrative law judge and given only those details only, what types of things would you assume about the 25 year old? Wealthy family? Self attained fame (like a musician or actor)? Wunderkind?
We listened to his Democratic opponent at a forum one evening. Moe Davis was very impressive and listed the several committees that he hoped to serve on in the House. Each were in line with his skill set, but perhaps more importantly, critical to the needs of our district.
Moe correctly stated that he would “have a seat at the table”, since the Dems control the House, whereas Cawthorn would be powerless, except as a partisan noisemaker…
Sharp dude. I wish Moe had run again this cycle.

Reactions: cigaretteman
$30 million settlement + $175k/year and he’s using general election funds to pay for chicken sandwiches and Mexican food.

A MAGA grifter ‘til the end.
$30 million settlement? Is that from his accident? Is that normal, or did that arbitration team believe him about how he was going to military academy?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT