ADVERTISEMENT

Noted: Washington Commanders coordinator calls Jan. 6 insurrection a ‘dust-up’

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Typical MAGAT wingnut. One of these things is not even remotely like the other:

Washington Commanders defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio, in a conversation with reporters, minimized the Jan. 6, 2021, storming of the U.S. Capitol by calling it a “dust-up” in comparison with the racial justice protests that followed George Floyd’s death in 2020.
“I can look at images on the TV [of the Floyd protests] — people’s livelihoods are being destroyed. Businesses are being burned down. No problem,” Del Rio said. “And then we have a dust-up at the Capitol, nothing burned down, and we’re going to make that a major deal. I just think it’s kind of two standards, and if we apply the same standard, and we’re going to be reasonable with each other, let’s have a discussion. That’s all it was [on Twitter]. Let’s have a discussion. We’re Americans.”
As The Post’s Sam Fortier reports, Del Rio has been outspoken on Twitter in each of the three offseasons he has been a Commanders coach, often coming down on the conservative side of political issues.
While his comments have drawn the ire of some fans and media members, Del Rio said he’s not concerned that others, even his players, would take offense to his comments.
“Anything that I ever say or write, I’d be comfortable saying or writing in front of everybody that I work with, players and coaches,” Del Rio told reporters Wednesday.
NBC Sports analyst Brian Mitchell called on Commanders Coach Ron Rivera to address the situation, but Rivera declined to discuss Del Rio’s tweets and whether he had discussed them with his defensive coordinator. Rivera said he does “not necessarily” worry that Del Rio’s comments will affect the locker room, which is predominantly Black.

This should never have been an issue. But now the dumbass is out $100,000 because he feels like he had to respond or talk about this. He looks like an idiot and makes the team deal with an issue unnecessarily

Typical MAGAT wingnut. One of these things is not even remotely like the other:

Washington Commanders defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio, in a conversation with reporters, minimized the Jan. 6, 2021, storming of the U.S. Capitol by calling it a “dust-up” in comparison with the racial justice protests that followed George Floyd’s death in 2020.

As The Post’s Sam Fortier reports, Del Rio has been outspoken on Twitter in each of the three offseasons he has been a Commanders coach, often coming down on the conservative side of political issues.
While his comments have drawn the ire of some fans and media members, Del Rio said he’s not concerned that others, even his players, would take offense to his comments.
“Anything that I ever say or write, I’d be comfortable saying or writing in front of everybody that I work with, players and coaches,” Del Rio told reporters Wednesday.
NBC Sports analyst Brian Mitchell called on Commanders Coach Ron Rivera to address the situation, but Rivera declined to discuss Del Rio’s tweets and whether he had discussed them with his defensive coordinator. Rivera said he does “not necessarily” worry that Del Rio’s comments will affect the locker room, which is predominantly Black.

I'd call it a dustup compared to cementing the door to a police station in order to burn it down with cops inside. I'd call a couple hours a dust up compared to days of rioting outside the white house or weeks of rioting in Seattle and months in Portland.

I'd call it a dustup compared to cementing the door to a police station in order to burn it down with cops inside. I'd call a couple hours a dust up compared to days of rioting outside the white house or weeks of rioting in Seattle and months in Portland.
:rolleyes:

Reactions: HawkMD
LOL at everyone celebrating punitive “free speech.” Do we want to live in a world where your opinion can cost you your career if you happen to open your mouth? That does not sound very freedomy.

Yes yes, not smart but this should be handled in the clubhouse and not out in the open. Del Rio could file and I imagine the Redskins (now Commanders) organization does not need more litigation in front of them.

Reactions: 24 so far

You will submit to my narrative and/or opinion, or ELSE!!!!!!

The statement put out by Rivera should make every reasonable person uncomfortable.

Both events, January 6th and the summer of 2020 riots, assaults and murders, were horrible events that are a stain on American history.

To condemn one while dismissing the other is unacceptable.

LOL at everyone celebrating punitive “free speech.” Do we want to live in a world where your opinion can cost you your career if you happen to open your mouth? That does not sound very freedomy.
Um, I'm pretty darn sure that I would lose my job and possibly my career if I said the wrong thing publicly, especially on record as an official representative of my company at that time. "Free speech" doesn't mean that you can say whatever the f* you want whenever you want with absolutely no consequences...

Um, I'm pretty darn sure that I would lose my job and possibly my career if I said the wrong thing publicly, especially on record as an official representative of my company at that time. "Free speech" doesn't mean that you can say whatever the f* you want whenever you want with absolutely no consequences...
Agreed, if it directly relates to your business. Football and politics are pretty unrelated.

Agreed, if it directly relates to your business. Football and politics are pretty unrelated.
Not what I meant. If I was interviewed by local press regarding my company and instead went off on an ignorant, offensive political tangent like JDR did, I'm pretty sure the consequences would be worse for me than they ultimately will be for him.

Not what I meant. If I was interviewed by local press regarding my company and instead went off on an ignorant, offensive political tangent like JDR did, I'm pretty sure the consequences would be worse for me than they ultimately will be for him.
I think you are missing the point.

In your scenario, who defines if the “rant” is an “ignorant, offensive political tangent.”

Do you really believe some sort of language/thought policing is necessary in corporate America?

If yes, that seems kinda fascist. How ironic.

You will submit to my narrative and/or opinion, or ELSE!!!!!!

The statement put out by Rivera should make every reasonable person uncomfortable.

Both events, January 6th and the summer of 2020 riots, assaults and murders, were horrible events that are a stain on American history.

To condemn one while dismissing the other is unacceptable.

Have never seen a single poster that has ever dismissed the riots in 2020. But they are not at all equivalent to 1/6.

In your scenario, who defines if the “rant” is an “ignorant, offensive political tangent.”

Do you really believe some sort of language/thought policing is necessary in corporate America?

Well, the Commanders obviously felt that way about JDR's statements, and so would my company. Some things are just obvious. How would your boss feel about you making that public statement to the press as a representative of where you work?

If I made a similar statement on a personal Twitter account that did not connect me to my company, then of course they would not be able to be "language/thought police" or whatever the heck you're talking about.

Reactions: littlez and HawkMD
This should never have been an issue. But now the dumbass is out $100,000 because he feels like he had to respond or talk about this. He looks like an idiot and makes the team deal with an issue unnecessarily
Opinion shouldn’t be a findable offense.

it was what is was. One man’s label changes nothing.

ridiculous.

Well, the Commanders obviously felt that way about JDR's statements, and so would my company. Some things are just obvious. How would your boss feel about you making that public statement to the press as a representative of where you work?

If I made a similar statement on a personal Twitter account that did not connect me to my company, then of course they would not be able to be "language/thought police" or whatever the heck you're talking about.
Then let the consumers (fans) decide. That is more free-market than allowing the employer to be the arbiter of free speech.

If the Commander fans decide not to spend their money on the team then they have cause to punish or terminate JDR.

Although…..it may be incredibly difficult for the Commanders to determine the exact reason their fans are not spending money on the team. They have given ample reasons for their fans to hate them.

Yes yes, not smart but this should be handled in the clubhouse and not out in the open. Del Rio could file and I imagine the Redskins (now Commanders) organization does not need more litigation in front of them.
And if he files he would lose. And he’s not filing. What do some of you knuckle drafters not understand about free speech? He’s free to say whatever he wants but he’s also not free from the consequences afterwards. No different than any of us. Just a clueless move, especially when you’re trying to get a new stadium deal and you have the worst owner in FB.

All these idiots "miss the point", until it bites them in the ass and all of a sudden "the point" ain't so cool.

When you can be fined or fired for voicing your opinion ON ANY SUBJECT, you ain't in the Land of the Free anymore son.

All these idiots "miss the point", until it bites them in the ass and all of a sudden "the point" ain't so cool.

When you can be fined or fired for voicing your opinion ON ANY SUBJECT, you ain't in the Land of the Free anymore son.

He can say what he wants. His employer can punish him if they deem it inappropriate. He is free to find a new job and keep saying what he wants. Why can’t people understand this concept?

Remember that corporations are “people” and have rights as well. If you don’t like that, take it up with the conservatives who fought so hard to make it that way.

Reactions: littlez and blhawk
He can say what he wants. His employer can punish him if they deem it inappropriate. He is free to find a new job and keep saying what he wants. Why can’t people understand this concept?

Remember that corporations are “people” and have rights as well. If you don’t like that, take it up with the conservatives who fought so hard to make it that way.
The concept is Free Speech dipshit. And that ain't hard to understand at all, for most.

• Haha
Reactions: Mpchillin
ADVERTISEMENT