ADVERTISEMENT

Notes from Brian Ferentz

Apr 8, 2003
I would start by just sharing a little bit about where we're at. We lost three great guys in January. Key is developing players to play on the outside for us. Inside we have a little bit more depth. As a unit trying to develop consistency.

Boone Myers, what are some of his strengths and is he on track with Brandon? Right now he's trying to get on track to perhaps start his first football game. I don't want to compare him to anyone. He's Boone. He's a smart guy, tough guy, and hates to lose. He's athletic and has done a nice job of putting on weight. Most important thing that can happen to him or Ike or Cole is to get quality reps. We can have a more in depth conversation about what track he is on in a year. Focus now is taking the tangible athletic things he has and intangibles and putting it all together. Every day is a learning experience for these guys.

Austin Blythe back at center reassuring? Never want to break in a new center. Went through that three years ago when James left. When Jordan got hurt last year decided to put Tommy Gaul in at center and did a great job and Austin moved around at guard. Having him move back to center, I think that's his best position, so it's a good thing. The issue for us right now is trying to find somebody to play center if he can't. Feel good about our depth inside, but not necessarily at center. Eric Simmons can play there, Steve is working there, and James Daniels and Jake Newborg coming in.

A year ago, you went on a soap box about the Outland Trophy, how gratifying is it for you to see Brandon take next step in NFL? I don't know about me. I'll be happy for him. Hope he ends up somewhere where they continue to push him. Really think his best football is in front of him. I tell people if you can take a guy that's good right now, but can be even better why not take him.

True freshmen coming in, who maybe has a chance? Right now James Daniels only one practicing. Brett Waechter working through a shoulder injury. If I had to handicap it right now, it would be James Daniels just because he's the only one I've seen practice. It's been very difficult historically to get on the field as a true freshman here. James has done a nice job and gotten reps, but right now it's kind of by default because he's the only one practicing.

James Daniels? Could fill criteria at any of the three interior positions like an Austin Blythe, Eric Simmons, or Jordan Walsh. Not the tallest guy, but has long arms and very athletic.

Run game coordinator? I don't foresee any radical changes in run game. People that taught me the game put together the run offense. If you look around the country, it's a pretty common thing. If you walked down the hallway, which none of you are invited to do, there's 9 full time assistants on our staff and 5 carry some type of coordinator title, but it's just a matter of simplifying teaching. When we all get together, you want there to be one voice. All of the coaches have a tremendous amount of input. This is more of a formality than anything.

Ike Boettger's willingness to play OL? Well, if he's not willing, there's probably no beginning. We recruited Ike as a TE. He came to camp as an oversized QB. Good basketball player, just a big, good looking guy. When he came to camp, asked him to catch the ball. Caught everything thrown to him. Then we asked him to bring his pads back the next day. The first real positive sign was that he came back. He went out there and was not real impressive blocking people because he'd never done it before in his life, but was willing, eager to learn, and never got discouraged. That was a good start. Came here as a TE. When we wanted to work younger guys in practice, didn't have full team, so he had already gained 25 pounds and asked him to move. Ever since he's been very eager to be a good offensive lineman. Really feel strongly about the way he approaches it every day, which makes me think he'll have success. He wants to be a good player and that's a good place to start, but at some point you have to become one too.

Ike playing in Ball State game? I liked that he came out on the field first of all. He didn't look real well, but the wheels didn't fall off. We were able to get him more experience playing blocking TE. Got the impression he has a chance. Some guys getting over that initial hurdle is tough. He just went out there and did it and lived to fight another day.

Looking at the run game, did you see holes that were there and maybe the play still didn't work? No. We won 7 and lost 6. We don't get too caught up in the numbers. If you win the game, you're playing well enough. If you lost the game you're not playing well enough. We didn't perform up to the standard that we've set around here and the expectations that we have.

What were the things you didn't do well last year as a football team? We lost close ball games last year. When we have a good team, we don't lose close ball games. We win close ball games. We didn't establish the run well enough, didn't protect the passer well enough.

Sean Welsh contact? It's a good question and I understand the question. It's kind of like any player, I wouldn't go into any conversation that I have with a player behind close doors. The head coach addressed it and I don't think it would be my place to go into it any further.

Hinder your progress? Given other guys a chance. Ross Reynolds is not out there with us right now either. Eric Simmons has moved around at guard and center. Always been in the two deep, but not thrust into top five and he's done pretty well. Wish Sean was getting reps and Ross was getting reps, but they can't. Other guys are getting the reps, like Eric, and really pleased with what he's doing.

Who had the idea for run game coordinator? Head coach told me I was the run game coordinator and then released it to you guy.

How did they tell you? Anything that goes on behind closed doors, I'll leave behind closed doors. You would have to ask him.

I think you're at 14 scholarship offensive linemen right now. What is the optimum number? Good question. I think it's fluid. It's whatever is best for the football team at that point. We took 5 last year and all agreed we need to take 5. We had a good in-state class. At the end of the day, you can't take everybody, but took 4 guys in-state and the 5th guy was James Daniels. Knew that could have gone several ways because he had a lot of options. Where we are at this year? Seth could comment on that better than I could. I know we'll take at least 2, maybe more. Overall, if you're any lower than 12, probably skating on thin ice. We've been fortunate to have strong walk-ons.

Brian, you coached Aaron Hernandez and then coached along side DJ here? I think it's probably a lot harder for DJ than it is for me. Unfortunate, doesn't benefit Iowa football or myself to comment on situation. Certainly tragic, especially for the victims. Feel bad for DJ and his family, feel worse for the victims and their family.

This post was edited on 4/15 1:28 PM by Blair Sanderson

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News