ADVERTISEMENT

Notes from Greg Davis

Apr 8, 2003
How you guys doing?

Just a brief statement about spring. A couple things you want to do every year. One is get base offense installed. Very similar to when you open camp. Second is to look at things you evaluated in off-season, studied other places film, and look at them to see if they fit. Third look at players we redshirted or second or third team and see how close they are to helping you in August. I think we've accomplished those things. Not ready to play yet, but pleased with the kids and their attitude.

Will offense look different with CJ? We'll still base with inside and outside zone. We've done a few things different with passing game that fit CJ as far as stretching the field. We will incorporate a little bit of using his legs because he has that ability. Don't want him taking too many hits, but we'll do some things.

How does it change with Brian being run game coordinator? Not a whole lot. In 40 years of doing this, the offense line coach every where I've been has a large say in the run game. When we sit down and start game planning, I've always relied on the line coach for suggestions and his thoughts. I don't think you'll see a whole lot of difference in terms of that. We are doing some things with formations, using our tight ends in detached formations, and things like that.

Different looks with different running backs? I think we have more running backs than anytime I've been here. LeShun Daniels has dropped 10 lbs and is much more fluid with his cuts. Jordan Canzeri is back and healthy. Akrum Wadley has gotten stronger and is doing a better job of protecting the ball. Probably the surprise of the spring has been Derrick Mitchell in terms of the running backs. He's done a good job of picking things up, didn't shy away from picking up a blitz.

CJ's ability to go down field help running game? Why did it struggle last year? Anytime something is not as productive as you want, it's not one answer. Sometime we didn't block up front, sometimes a receiver didn't get to the secondary. I do think the ability to fake the run and challenge deep with help slow the support down a little bit. I do think our backs are a little bit more lateral movement guys. All those things will help as we move into the season.

Tyler Wiegers development? He got thrown into the deep end. Typically he'd be running with the threes. But he started paddling the minute he got in there. He's extremely bright. Our QBs have a lot on their plate at the line of scrimmage. He's done a good job.

How much did having fullbacks out last year hurt running game? No question it took a hit because of that. We thought those two fullbacks were really good, solid players, and with two of them we had a good advantage, but both of them missed significant time. John Kenny moved over, but he's moved back to linebacker now.

How has CJ progressed as far as knowing when to take his shots deep? He's much farther along now. He's going to take shots. When a pass play unfolds typically somebody is going deep - I know you guys don't always think that - but usually somebody deep, somebody in the middle, and somebody shallow. We want him to play distance and parameters. Yeah you've got on one on but you've got a back open for 5 yards.

How did Beathard go from being No. 2 to being 1A in bowl game and 1 in January? We just felt like at the end of the season, as we said all along, we had two really good players. We thought we would open it up for the bowl game, which we did. They both knew going into the bowl game we were going to alternate series. After the bowl game, we felt we needed to clear the air so to speak.

What pushed him over? What made him No. 1? We just felt like he gave us the best opportunity to win.

What changed? We just felt like he gave us the best opportunity to win. They had been close for a long time. We just felt like we do at every position, who gives us the best opportunity to win. That's what we felt after the bowl game.

That position has high speculation anyway, but former starter going to start at another Big Ten school. What separated the two? Arm strength? I wish I could tell you 1, 2, 3, 4. Part of it is you have two good players. We felt like CJ was at a point mentally in terms of getting in and out of plays and had cut that gap down. Physically, more upside. Had to make a decision and sometimes it's what does your gut say? Part of it is what we've seen every day for the last couple years.

Was part of it taking ambiguity out of it going into the season? You need to ask Kirk that question. I think he felt like it was time to make a clear decision instead of taking it into the spring, so we made it.

Are you surprised Jake reacted the way he did? Did you consider that when you made that decision? QBs are a different position because only one plays. Typically when you have a couple guys battling and a decision is made it's not unusual for the other guy to transfer. Jake is an extremely bright guy and he's going to graduate in May and wanted to play. Last time I saw him two weeks ago, I wished him nothing but the best. I think he made a decision and he'll do a good job.

After Pitt you talked about one third down play CJ made... Does he have a chance to make this WR group better? Yeah, he made a play in the Pitt game that was pretty special. It was a third down situation and they outnumbered the protection with the blitz. The first blitz receiver was covered, so he had to hold the ball knowing the blitz was coming and then he delivered the ball downfield to Ray for a big first down. It was a huge play. It was a talent play. He has really good arm talent. To your question, one thing we've worked on this spring is where the ball is delivered.

Is there an effort to make Tevaun Smith a bigger threat? We're moving Tevaun around more. We're finding ways to put him in spots he hasn't played in, as a slot receiver for example. When he's outside, it's easier to roll coverage to him. We feel like we'll have a chance to give him more opportunities.

Do you see any WR stepping up like Mitchell has at RB? Andre Harris maybe? Andre Harris has come a long ways this spring. He's still inconsistent. You see him taking a big step and then slide back. But encouraged by what he's done. We also moved Jonathan Parker and he's made progress. Not ready to be a full time receiver, but he gives us a weapon on WR screens and sweeps.

CJ's uncle is a coach and grandfather a Hall of Fame GM. Is his football knowledge a little underrated on our part? Probably. I'll tell you all a little story. I had Major Applewhite and Chris Simms at Texas. Every time Chris made good throw, it was what a great throw. Every time Major made a great throw, it was what a great read. CJ is very bright. I don't think we'll lose anything there in terms of getting in and out of plays.

How much separation between VandeBerg, Smith, and Hillyer with rest of receivers? Quite a bit. Whatever the call is, we don't worry about it with those three. VandeBerg can play all three spots. Now Tevaun can play all three. Hillyer can play both outside spots. There's an opportunity for one of the signees possibly. Receiver is a spot that guys can play early if they come in and pick things up. Everybody has had freshmen receivers come in and play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News