ADVERTISEMENT

Notes from Jim Reid and LeVar Woods

Apr 8, 2003
All Access was late coming online, so I missed the first part of Jim Reid. We will have the transcript later today.

Jim Reid

Outsey is a tough guy, can run really well. Doing a good job making calls despite lack of experience. Going to be a good player in this program.

Lots of film at home, even 16mm. You can ask my wife, when we move we have one van for the furniture and another van just for the film.

When I started coaching, you didn't do it for anything other than you loved the game. You wanted to make sure you could bring others with you and teach them integrity and honor and discipline so they can become a great son, a great father, a great husband. That's how I've always viewed it.

Got some guys that laugh because I'm on Twitter. Best thing that ever happened because I can put a message on and get 170 replies right away from former players. What makes me cry is when they say "Thanks Coach for everything you did for me." That's why you coach. That's why I'll coach it until I drop dead on the field. If I did, I'd die on a sacred place, the football field. My world is my players.

The greatest thing I've ever done in a long time is when I hooked up with LeVar Woods. Best guy I've ever been around. Is he up next? Good lead in.

LeVar Woods

Just getting started here, you just heard from Coach Reid, who has a wealth of knowledge. I'm very grateful for the time I got to spend with him and learning from him.

I will tell you right off the bat I have zero 16mm film. I do have some VHS though.

Wanted to thank you for the opportunity. Open it up for questions.

New era on offensive side of the ball. Haven't been there since I played on scout team for Hayden Fry. At LB, you have to know what the DL, LB, and DB are doing. Switching to offensive side, aside from QB, there isn't a position that has to know more than TE because you're involved in the run game, pass game, and hot routes. I've heard TE coaches say that before and kind of snickered or laughed, but now I see what they're talking about. There's a lot that goes into it.

What was the challenge like, learning position? Challenge initially was just learning offense. Ironic story, after we left Jacksonville, I made my off-season to-do list on my phone. I made a list of things I wanted to accomplish this off-season as a defensive coach, but wanted to learn more about protection and run schemes on offense. Fast forward and now I'm learning about them as an offensive coach. Learning the way they speak on offense.

Learning techniques? To be honest with you, it's not that much different. You're still doing the same thing as far as inside hands win a blocking situation. Pass routes is the opposite. Teach them the opposite of the defense. Coach Brian Ferentz has been a huge help, coached TE's in New England. Also Greg Davis helping me with the offense and how the routes are run and create different rubs or open up the passing game. Those two guys mainly. Coach Kirk Ferentz has helped a lot and Coach Chris White and Coach Bobby Kennedy as well.

I also spent some time down at Florida State with Tim Brewster, who used to be head coach at Minnesota, now coaching TE's at Florida State. Coached John Mackey Award Winner in O'Leary. Anxious to put some of that into use this spring.

Special teams? I had a hand in field goal block and punt safe. That will stay the same, have a hand in it.

Surprised with move, when did they approach you? I'd be lying if I said I wasn't shocked. Somewhere about a month ago is when Coach Ferentz talked to me about it. It's a great opportunity.

Want to talk about the guys you are coaching? Without trying to use too many adjectives, it's very hard. Five guys in the room right now, all exceptional young men. Not just as football players, but the way they go about their business outside the building too. Two seniors, Henry Krieger-Coble and Jake Duzey. A year younger, George Kittle has phenomenal skills in pass game. Then two younger guys, Jon Wisnieksi and Peter Pekar. Not as much experience, but doing well. Having two seniors have helped a ton, good sounding board, good resource to have.

All three that have played a lot have a lot of skills. Not as many explosive plays last year. Is there a way to change that or just play better? A little bit of both. We have to be better at the TE position. We have to be more aggressive in the run game blocking. On the defensive side I always hated a TE that could knock your head off, so that's what I want Iowa's TE's to be. In the passing game, catch the ball, know you have to catch it. Also find different ways in formations to get guys the ball. That's what we're trying to do right now.

Wisnieski, how far away from contributing? I don't think he's far at all. Coming off an injury, but progressing well. I like Jon a lot.

First time in a while football new to you, so to speak? It is. I feel like I'm at a different place. Only thing familiar is the people I see every day. But change is good. It makes you better. Opportunity to be fresh. Keeps you on your toes. Defensively, it was a lot of the same stuff I've been doing since I was 19 years old and Kirk Ferentz, Norm Parker, and Phil Parker came here. Offensively, it's all new.

Changes in way TE's are deployed? Faster this year? Same guys, we just lost one. Deploying, that's what I was talking about different formations. It's just a matter of when their number is called to execute.

Just scratching the surface with George Kittle so far, different breed, maybe not huge things blocking, but big things passing game? I do expect huge things out of him blocking too and expect big plays when his number is called. He has tremendous athletic ability, just a matter of focusing in. I think he can block. I expect good things from George.

Which guy tormented you the most when you were on the other side of the ball? None of them. I won't give them the satistfaction.

What separates Jake Duzey? Starting off, this going to sound cliche, but he's big, he's fast, and he's strong. Everything you want in a TE. The thing he'll tell you is he has to be more consistent.

Played TE on scout team? What that a possibility for you? First I got destroyed by Ross Verba every day. Second year I was scout team TE. That was a possibility the spring of my redshirt freshman year if defense didn't work out.

How do you guard against insecurity? I don't lack confidence in what I'm doing. Bottom line is just a matter of understanding the play, what's my role, and knowing defensively how to attack it helps me show them how to beat the defense. The more I get comfortable with the offense and the verbage, I'll feel much more comfortable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News