ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame AD Calls Division I Breakup ‘Inevitable’

Mountain Man Hawk

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2010
I recommend reading the whole article as there are a lot of interesting quotes from Notre Dame’s AD regarding the current state of NIL, transfers, conference realignment, football playoffs, etc.

To briefly summarize, he says college sports are changing very rapidly to become a big business and it will soon reach a point where some schools will throw in the towel and realize they can’t keep up and then we will see a split between the two and we will have FBS split into the big $$$$ division and the small $ division.

Here are a few interesting quotes from the article. It was hard not to cut and paste the whole article as so much of it is relevant to a lot of threads on these boards recently.

The expectation is that the Big Ten and SEC will continue to leave the rest of the Power Five conferences behind in terms of revenue. The widening gap will place more stress on the current landscape, leading some schools to move away from their existing conference affiliations—and possibly leading some leagues to boot longtime members that don’t bring as much to the revenue trough.

“We’re going to have these two conferences that have so distanced themselves from anyone else financially,” Swarbrick said. “That’s where I see it starting to break down. There are so many schools trying to get out of their current conference, and they can’t get there.”

Asked if the current Name, Image and Likeness landscape is sustainable, the answer was a blunt no. Recruiting inducements were not the original idea, but that’s what NIL has become in many instances.

“This morphed so quickly into talent acquisition fees that it’s just stunning,” he said. “Two things happened. The schools that have been doing [under the table] this a long time just had a way they could describe it now and be covered. That created a whole bunch of pressure on other schools that said, ‘Oh my god, we’ve got to do that, too.’

“We went from what people thought was an overly restrictive market to the most unrestricted labor market in the history of sports.”

Does Swarbrick see NCAA Enforcement having any chance of reining it in?

“No. I hate to be so pessimistic, but it’s been a lot of years of not seeing them have any,” he said. “I can see a lot of that [rules compliance and enforcement] being transferred to the conferences.”

Swarbrick predicts that the current NIL marketplace will severely damage Olympic sports, as investments and donations continue to tilt toward revenue-producing sports.

“I hate to see that,” he said. “It’s going to be interesting to see how the federal government approaches it. If all of this revenue is disproportionately coming to men, even if you didn’t set it up, how does Title IX analyze that?”

I recommend reading the whole article as there are a lot of interesting quotes from Notre Dame’s AD regarding the current state of NIL, transfers, conference realignment, football playoffs, etc.

To briefly summarize, he says college sports are changing very rapidly to become a big business and it will soon reach a point where some schools will throw in the towel and realize they can’t keep up and then we will see a split between the two and we will have FBS split into the big $$$$ division and the small $ division.

Here are a few interesting quotes from the article. It was hard not to cut and paste the whole article as so much of it is relevant to a lot of threads on these boards recently.

The expectation is that the Big Ten and SEC will continue to leave the rest of the Power Five conferences behind in terms of revenue. The widening gap will place more stress on the current landscape, leading some schools to move away from their existing conference affiliations—and possibly leading some leagues to boot longtime members that don’t bring as much to the revenue trough.

“We’re going to have these two conferences that have so distanced themselves from anyone else financially,” Swarbrick said. “That’s where I see it starting to break down. There are so many schools trying to get out of their current conference, and they can’t get there.”

Asked if the current Name, Image and Likeness landscape is sustainable, the answer was a blunt no. Recruiting inducements were not the original idea, but that’s what NIL has become in many instances.

“This morphed so quickly into talent acquisition fees that it’s just stunning,” he said. “Two things happened. The schools that have been doing [under the table] this a long time just had a way they could describe it now and be covered. That created a whole bunch of pressure on other schools that said, ‘Oh my god, we’ve got to do that, too.’

“We went from what people thought was an overly restrictive market to the most unrestricted labor market in the history of sports.”

“No. I hate to be so pessimistic, but it’s been a lot of years of not seeing them have any,” he said. “I can see a lot of that [rules compliance and enforcement] being transferred to the conferences.”

Swarbrick predicts that the current NIL marketplace will severely damage Olympic sports, as investments and donations continue to tilt toward revenue-producing sports.

“I hate to see that,” he said. “It’s going to be interesting to see how the federal government approaches it. If all of this revenue is disproportionately coming to men, even if you didn’t set it up, how does Title IX analyze that?”

Difference between sec and b1g is sec is getting paid AND increasing quality. B1g has too many crap teams compared to sec and long term could be in trouble. Also if OSU and MI left the conf would be in deep crap.

hate to see that,” he said. “It’s going to be interesting to see how the federal government approaches it. If all of this revenue is disproportionately coming to men, even if you didn’t set it up, how does Title IX analyze that?”
Fok title 9!! Tell women to go watch and support women's sports...then they'll get paid too! Few want to watch them and certainly not pay to watch.

Is it male athletes fault that more women likely support them than female athletes??? Hell no....title ix is a big reason for the damn nil mess anyways.

Yup. The current state of college football and basketball is not really sustainable IMO. They were designed to be amateur sports, and now they are anything but. The playing field, if it ever was "level", is no longer - especially in basketball where two guys can make the difference between winning 18 games and competing for a Natty.

College sports are likely to go the way of Formula One racing, where money is everything, vs. NASCAR where the rules exist in an effort to make everyone compete on a level playing field. NASCAR is way more popular.

In college sports, when you lose to someone doing the same thing you are doing, only a little better this time, you just tip your cap and go back to work. When you lose to money, it just takes all the joy out the sport.

And the funny thing is, there will STILL be players that can't afford to take their girlfriend to McD's. NIL did not solve a problem, it created lots of them.

Last edited:

Yup. The current state of college football and basketball is not really sustainable IMO. They was designed to be amateur sports, and now they are anything but. The playing field, if it ever was "level", is no longer - especially in basketball where two guys can make the difference between winning 18 games and competing for a Natty.

College sports are likely to go the way of Formula One racing, where money is everything, vs. NASCAR where the rules exist in an effort to make everyone compete on a level playing field. NASCAR is way ore popular.

In college sports, when you lose to someone doing the same thing you are doing, only a little better this time, you just tip your cap and go back to work. When you lose to money, it just takes all the joy out the sport.

And the funny thing is, there will STILL be players that can't afford to take their girlfriend to McD's. NIL did not solve a problem, it created lots of them.
Hard to disagree with any of that. To get it resolved I think we first have to rip off the bandaid and have the schools actually pay the players. In other sports where there are salary caps and restrictions on free agents, etc in an attempt to create a level playing field, these rules were all developed in negotiations between the owners and the players union. But in college sports we have to pretend that the NIL payments have nothing to do with the schools, which is of course laughable. In the NFL there is no limit on the amount of NIL that players can earn but nobody cares if Patrick Mahomes could have gotten more NIL with the Giants instead of the Chiefs because he’s getting half of a billion dollars from the Chiefs. In college football, the Big Ten is on the verge of signing a billion dollar TV deal and they plan to share exactly zero cents of it with the players. That makes it hard for them to then negotiate some sort of salary cap or limits on transferring without drawing the ire of the Supreme Court.

Hard to disagree with any of that. To get it resolved I think we first have to rip off the bandaid and have the schools actually pay the players. In other sports where there are salary caps and restrictions on free agents, etc in an attempt to create a level playing field, these rules were all developed in negotiations between the owners and the players union. But in college sports we have to pretend that the NIL payments have nothing to do with the schools, which is of course laughable. In the NFL there is no limit on the amount of NIL that players can earn but nobody cares if Patrick Mahomes could have gotten more NIL with the Giants instead of the Chiefs because he’s getting half of a billion dollars from the Chiefs. In college football, the Big Ten is on the verge of signing a billion dollar TV deal and they plan to share exactly zero cents of it with the players. That makes it hard for them to then negotiate some sort of salary cap or limits on transferring without drawing the ire of the Supreme Court.
So, a couple of things - how will paying the players directly fix this? Will every player get the same amount? Will the B1G and the SEC get to pay more because they earn more? Unless NIL goes away, no matter what the players get there will stick be a ton of money to entice a player to a specific school.

Also, zero cents to the players? That's pretty much how this mess started. Tuition, room and board, training table, coaching (for NFL prep), professional weight training, etc. The facilities the schools build are like 4 star hotels for the athletes. They spend money on recruiting to surround the players with other good players. Bowl games are filled with perks.

If they pay the players directly, it's over - no more college sports. It will be pro sports loosely associated with schools.

So, a couple of things - how will paying the players directly fix this? Will every player get the same amount? Will the B1G and the SEC get to pay more because they earn more? Unless NIL goes away, no matter what the players get there will stick be a ton of money to entice a player to a specific school.

Also, zero cents to the players? That's pretty much how this mess started. Tuition, room and board, training table, coaching (for NFL prep), professional weight training, etc. The facilities the schools build are like 4 star hotels for the athletes. They spend money on recruiting to surround the players with other good players. Bowl games are filled with perks.

If they pay the players directly, it's over - no more college sports. It will be pro sports loosely associated with schools.
You can’t fix it without paying the players because how else do you negotiate with the players and come to an agreement? Am I missing something or isn’t that how we got the current salary caps, free agent restrictions, etc in every other sport? If we tried that with how things are right now, would a college football players union agree to the current terms? I doubt it. You have to give something to get something. If we want a salary cap we have to first give a salary.

Either that or you need an act of Congress or something, which I can’t see happening. If the NCAA came in with a cap on NIL, I assume the players could just challenge it in court and we know what the Supreme Court would say about that.

You can’t fix it without paying the players because how else do you negotiate with the players and come to an agreement? Am I missing something or isn’t that how we got the current salary caps, free agent restrictions, etc in every other sport? If we tried that with how things are right now, would a college football players union agree to the current terms? I doubt it. You have to give something to get something. If we want a salary cap we have to first give a salary.

Either that or you need an act of Congress or something, which I can’t see happening. If the NCAA came in with a cap on NIL, I assume the players could just challenge it in court and we know what the Supreme Court would say about that.
I assume if the schools pay the players directly they become employees and the schools lose their tax exempt status. Is this not correct.....

How is there not a cap on how much NIL money a kid can be offered? It is ridiculous what is happening to college sports and even more so as to how this wasn’t a foreseen conclusion. Even professional sports have a cap. They need to create a more level playing field.

Reactions: uihawk82
How is everyone surprised by this? All of this was caused by two things:
1) Lack of leadership in CFB across all conferences
2) ESPN sowing the seeds to get higher rated games / less properties they need to bid on. Their talk programming (radio and tv) set the conversation in their favor.

How is there not a cap on how much NIL money a kid can be offered? It is ridiculous what is happening to college sports and even more so as to how this wasn’t a foreseen conclusion. Even professional sports have a cap. They need to create a more level playing field.
As far as I’m aware, no league out there has a cap on NIL. Most leagues have salary caps, which I guess you could say college football already has (every school has a salary cap of $0). NIL is different. You can’t have a cap on NIL because it doesn’t come from the school it comes from independent sources.

How is everyone surprised by this? All of this was caused by two things:
1) Lack of leadership in CFB across all conferences
2) ESPN sowing the seeds to get higher rated games / less properties they need to bid on. Their talk programming (radio and tv) set the conversation in their favor.
Well, that and gullible casuals and weak-minded fans buying into what they're saying.

Yes, even the customers (fans) deserve just a little bit of the blame.

Fok title 9!! Tell women to go watch and support women's sports...then they'll get paid too! Few want to watch them and certainly not pay to watch.

Is it male athletes fault that more women likely support them than female athletes??? Hell no....title ix is a big reason for the damn nil mess anyways.
Wow.

my son and I attended to Iowa women’s basketball games that sold out Carver.

Last I checked, we aren’t women, and a solid 50% of the attendees were boys and men.

with your logic, all non-revenue supporting men’s sports should be eliminated also.

I just can’t believe what some people think and say on these boards.

this is a UNIVERSITY serving men and women and even people who don’t identify as either, and black and white and brown and atheistic and fundamentalist and foreign and national etc etc. Sharing resources is what makes a university and community function.

predatory Orwellian corporate capitalism has warped and pulverized minds to an incredible degree.

Yup. The current state of college football and basketball is not really sustainable IMO. They was designed to be amateur sports, and now they are anything but. The playing field, if it ever was "level", is no longer - especially in basketball where two guys can make the difference between winning 18 games and competing for a Natty.

College sports are likely to go the way of Formula One racing, where money is everything, vs. NASCAR where the rules exist in an effort to make everyone compete on a level playing field. NASCAR is way ore popular.

people playing bama have been losing to money for years :)

I assume if the schools pay the players directly they become employees and the schools lose their tax exempt status. Is this not correct.....
I think you are probably right. If you read the article it suggests that eventually the big money schools will have to separate the athletics from the academics, presumably for this reason.

From the article:

Others could essentially be spun off while retaining the school name and branding. A theoretical example (not proffered by Swarbrick): Oregon Ducks Athletics, Inc.

Wow.

my son and I attended to Iowa women’s basketball games that sold out Carver.

Last I checked, we aren’t women, and a solid 50% of the attendees were boys and men.

with your logic, all non-revenue supporting men’s sports should be eliminated also.

I just can’t believe what some people think and say on these boards.

this is a UNIVERSITY serving men and women and even people who don’t identify as either, and black and white and brown and atheistic and fundamentalist and foreign and national etc etc. Sharing resources is what makes a university and community function.

predatory Orwellian corporate capitalism has warped and pulverized minds to an incredible degree.
YOU'RE DAMN STRAIGHT. But mooching is the new norm in soft modern America!!!

I'll NEVER be ok with that.... I can't believe you are, what a shame.

Pretty sure they serve all colors not just black white and brown fyi ;)

I think he nailed it.
Just sayin.

As far as I’m aware, no league out there has a cap on NIL. Most leagues have salary caps, which I guess you could say college football already has (every school has a salary cap of $0). NIL is different. You can’t have a cap on NIL because it doesn’t come from the school it comes from independent sources.
I realize that, but there has to be some sort of rules regarding how much you can offer a kid.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
I think you are probably right. If you read the article it suggests that eventually the big money schools will have to separate the athletics from the academics, presumably for this reason.

From the article:

Others could essentially be spun off while retaining the school name and branding. A theoretical example (not proffered by Swarbrick): Oregon Ducks Athletics, Inc.
Interesting. The financial ramifications would be HUGE. If this effect included having to pay tax on athletic income from not only ticket sales but the ridiculous network payments each conference team gets, it would put most of these schools in an economic tailspin......

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
I think he nailed it.
Just sayin.
I agree, I think the outcome described in the article is the most likely to happen. I actually saw similar comments in an interview with Mike Gundy recently. He also thinks eventually the top schools will break away.

I think everyone agrees the current system is not sustainable. It was never a completely level playing field but before money only did so much and it was always somewhat of a crapshoot figuring out which high school kids would be the best college players. But now, schools with the most money will be able to see which players are best and then get them to transfer with the promise of unlimited NIL. I don’t think even Texas will be able to screw up that kind of advantage.

And it’s hard to see what could change to make it a level playing field again. The NCAA is worthless and I don’t think the Supreme Court would allow a cap on NIL anyway. It would take an act of Congress which I can’t see coming. Equally unlikely is the conferences acting together like how the NFL does and negotiating the TV deals together and sharing the money equally. Does anyone think Iowa would ever share some of our TV money with Iowa State so we don’t have too much of an advantage over them? Fat chance.

First, I have no idea how to "fix it'. I don't know that it can be fixed.

You are comparing college sports to pro sports. The "college" part of college sports used to mean something. It really doesn't anymore.

The college presidents "could" say (they won't) that you can make all the money you want on NIL, but then you are ineligible from being on the team. Again, they won't do that (maybe they can't even do that, thanks to the courts).

Think about it .... the Universities in this country are run by the Presidents and a Board of Regents (or the equivalent). Their job is control over an academic institution - not to be good at football (although some schools have different priorities), They want football and basketball to make money so they can have all the other sports - it's part of the image they want to convey - a well-rounded school.

To me, it's insane. The General Fund budget at the University of Iowa for 2022 is $738 million. That's $10 million more than the 2021 budget. The athletic department may soon go from $150 million to $200 million. An increase of $50 million for sports. The athletic dept revenue could be as much as 25% of the General Fund! Absurd.

I'm just waiting for some top of the line school that isn't competitive in sports, like Vanderbilt, to just say the heck with it, and decide to leave the SEC and play D2 sports -or some other kind of step back.

It's such a colossal waste of money.

You double down on the idiocy, I see.

How are women to be protected--by Title IX, no less--when the very people who pushed for it and claim to be the biggest supporters of women, in sports or otherwise, now support males to compete as females?

Title IX was travesty enough. That those behind it have abandoned the women they claimed to protect makes it a tragedy.

It’s a brand new world out there unfortunately, and a school like Iowa can’t compete financially with powerhouse programs with endless alumni resources.

The only path I can see to preserving some semblance of the current system is fir all D1 institutions to come together and agree to make each student athlete enter into a contract where they willingly give up the opportunity of NIL money for the opportunity to compete in D1 sports and receive a college education for free. Athletes unwilling to do so cannot compete in D1 athletics. If money and other benefits are funneled to athletes and their families and friends under the table or otherwise, the program at the university is suspended and if that activity continues to reoccur, then the death penalty comes into play. Athletes not interested in that system can enter the professional leagues if they choose to do so, and the NFL will have to live with that. They can create their own farm system instead of letting D1 institutions do it for them.

How else is there a way to preserve some measure of equity and level playing field across all these conferences and athletic departments?

Sarcasm. Posted for the many stupid.
I was being serious though.................

i-was-acting-acting.gif

First, I have no idea how to "fix it'. I don't know that it can be fixed.

You are comparing college sports to pro sports. The "college" part of college sports used to mean something. It really doesn't anymore.

The college presidents "could" say (they won't) that you can make all the money you want on NIL, but then you are ineligible from being on the team. Again, they won't do that (maybe they can't even do that, thanks to the courts).

Think about it .... the Universities in this country are run by the Presidents and a Board of Regents (or the equivalent). Their job is control over an academic institution - not to be good at football (although some schools have different priorities), They want football and basketball to make money so they can have all the other sports - it's part of the image they want to convey - a well-rounded school.

To me, it's insane. The General Fund budget at the University of Iowa for 2022 is $738 million. That's $10 million more than the 2021 budget. The athletic department may soon go from $150 million to $200 million. An increase of $50 million for sports. The athletic dept revenue could be as much as 25% of the General Fund! Absurd.

I'm just waiting for some top of the line school that isn't competitive in sports, like Vanderbilt, to just say the heck with it, and decide to leave the SEC and play D2 sports -or some other kind of step back.

It's such a colossal waste of money.
I don’t have any good suggestions to fix it either and I agree with you some schools are going to tap out and say they can’t keep up with ever escalating dollar amount needed to compete. It’s already happened in the past if you think about it. The Ivy League schools used to pay big time football and then they eventually decided they couldn’t keep up so they couldn’t/wouldn’t try anymore.

I don’t think any of the decision makers have a solution either so we are all just sort of sleep walking towards an outcome like described in the article. Here is a Mike Gundy interview where he says similar things - a “Super League” of the teams with all of the money could eventually break off because no one else can compete with them.

Allowing NIL payments was the worst thing ever for college sports.
Either you're willing to play for room & board, free tuition, free food, and all the extra help and training you could ever imagine..... or you can decide not to.
It's your choice.

Yes, the university is making a shit-ton of money, but they spend it all...to mostly fund the other sports that don't make any money at all and lose money every single year.

If the NCAA would have done their freaking job and punished the cheaters more to start, we might not be in this mess.

NIL is bullshit.

If you can't accept the free everything you got before, then the college experience isn't for you.

I'm so sick of this crap.

Either you're willing to play for room & board, free tuition, free food, and all the extra help and training you could ever imagine..... or you can decide not to.
It's your choice.

Yes, the university is making a shit-ton of money, but they spend it all...to mostly fund the other sports that don't make any money at all and lose money every single year.

If the NCAA would have done their freaking job and punished the cheaters more to start, we might not be in this mess.

NIL is bullshit.

If you can't accept the free everything you got before, then the college experience isn't for you.

College athletics lost sight of their mission. All of this money being generated by TV could be doing a lot of good for a broad group of athletes and students at our Universities. Instead people let their ambition to win at football cause them to make some very bad decisions.

College athletics shouldn't be driven by money, but left to their own with no leadership, of course it is going to come down to that. There is too much money to be made and too much opportunity to game the system.

What I find hilarious is that people that thought this was going to be good for Iowa.

College athletics lost sight of their mission. All of this money being generated by TV could be doing a lot of good for a broad group of athletes and students at our Universities. Instead people let their ambition to win at football cause them to make some very bad decisions.

College athletics shouldn't be driven by money, but left to their own with no leadership, of course it is going to come down to that. There is too much money to be made and too much opportunity to game the system.

What I find hilarious is that people that thought this was going to be good for Iowa.
Yeah, I’m not at all convinced this will be a good thing for Iowa. I’m reasonably confident Iowa would be included if the top teams break away. But whereas today we can be happy about being a top 25 team because we win 9-10 games, when there are only ~40 teams total then being top 25 doesn’t mean much and we won’t win nearly as many games because most of our schedule would be facing teams with big advantages over us.

It's your choice.

NIL is bullshit.

Very well said, There are many, many athletes at the University of Iowa who don't play football or men's basketball.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Change is tough. I love the NIL and these young adults getting money for what they are doing for these universities.

How can title 9 get involved with this since this has nothing to technically do with the university? They are making money off their likeness. And who is to say the women aren’t getting huge money deals? A lot of good looking college gals can easily use IG or tiktok to become an influencer.

You double down on the idiocy, I see.

How are women to be protected--by Title IX, no less--when the very people who pushed for it and claim to be the biggest supporters of women, in sports or otherwise, now support males to compete as females?

Title IX was travesty enough. That those behind it have abandoned the women they claimed to protect makes it a tragedy.
This has what to do with sports and their athletes supporting themselves?

Change is tough. I love the NIL and these young adults getting money for what they are doing for these universities.

How can title 9 get involved with this since this has nothing to technically do with the university? They are making money off their likeness. And who is to say the women aren’t getting huge money deals? A lot of good looking college gals can easily use IG or tiktok to become an influencer.
Schools never will get involved with title 9 B's still around.
Clark makes good money I think.

It's been a pretense for decades that the highest level football and men's b-ball are "amateur" sports. I'm not sure we can even say what that means anymore. But the way this is evolving doesn't look anything like what I'd call amateur.
Maybe it is time for some schools to break away and become they're own league. Let the rest save themselves some dollars and headaches.

Paying the players directly won't solve anything and will introduce a bunch of issues. I don't know what an NFL budget looks like, but I doubt there's enough money to pay the players like they do in the NFL. Certainly the only way you could realistically pay them anything meaningful would be to drop all non-revenue sports since a huge portion of football revenue goes to support the other sports.

Second, the NFL uses a draft system to keep some semblance of parity. Even with direct pay, NIL can still be used to induce kids to attend certain schools. Add that to the dynasty effect we already have and the lock the blues bloods have on NC will be even stronger. A couple other wealthy schools may break past the glass ceiling, but the vast majority will fall further behind. That will trigger a drop in interest and the very break up of divisions discussed in the article.

The bottom line is that "college football" will likely look much, much different 15 years from now. It will be a relatively fast evolution followed by a radical restructuring. Then...elements of it may die off.

I've said for years we need minor league football...well we're heading inexorably in that direction IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT