ADVERTISEMENT

Now Charlie Hoffman is pissed at the PGA…..what is the future of the proposed Saudi “super tour”?

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
In Iowa, if you build a ball park, they will come……..In golf apparently, if you throw enough money out there, golfers will follow.
I see where seemingly mild mannered Charlie Hoffman went off big time over a “bad” rulying he received at Phoenix last week and really blistered the official making the ruling as well as the PGA. This comes at a time when many of the Tours “big names” are ganging up in the PGA as well and threatening to leave the PGA Tour for the more lucrative “Super Tour” being sponsored by Saudi Arabia.
Might the PGA react to this threatened player revolt by blacklisting these (American) player from Ryder Cup consideration? Included would be players like Dustin Johnson, Chambeau, Morikawa and Phil Mickelson (no Captaincy or “coach” position)? A few players have openly refused support of the Saudi league, some have supported it or indicated their support and most players are “thinking” it over. Reportedly Greg Norman is the driving force behind the recruitment of these players and pushing for this League.
It will be interesting to see what unfolds over the next several months. Money usually wins. The Saudi’s have a lot of that…..the PGA will have to surrender some of its power to appease many of these top tier players…..I can hear Bob Dylan right now…..”the time, they are a changing”!

I don't see the very big names leaving. The tour, the Masters, and the three governing bodies can just say -- play on Saudi tour and it's no Masters; no US Open, no Open, no PGA, no Ryder, no Players, and no tour tour stops.

The next level down is where players may leave. If I'm 72nd ranked Garrick Higgo, and they offer me 10 million a year to play on the Saudi tour, how do you turn that down? That's life altering money.

Choose carefully.

Not 100% but the us open is an open. You can qualify through local tournaments. Not sure they can do anything.

Reactions: joelbc1
Yes
It can be only PGA sanctioned events…. And the Ryder Cup is the Crown Jewel there…the Player’s and The PGA would be next of importance.
The PGA Championship is a major, and that’s the measuring stick for the very best.

This whole idea is stupid. The United States is the richest television audience, and you have to be near our time zones to make it work.

The PGA Championship is a major, and that’s the measuring stick for the very best.

This whole idea is stupid. The United States is the richest television audience, and you have to be near our time zones to make it work.
You might be greatly underestimating the importance of Tge Ryder Cup and Player’s Champuonship amongst the players themselves. The PGA’s most lucrative money maker is The Ryder Cup…. By a lot.

I’ve been following the No Laying Up podcast the past few years. They do a great job of breaking down weekly events and especially the Saudi super league.
they know the PGA needs to give some up to the players to keep them happy.
Hope they can come to compromise and keep the big names.
I’m not watching golf on delay or at 6am …. Well, maybe 6am

Let DeChambeau go. Let Mickelson go. Their relevance will go with them. As will the relevance of anyone else that goes. They will be effectively shut out of the major events.

Mickelson looks really bad in all this. Guy is one of the most successful ever and a lifestyle people would love to have but he’s coming across as a greedy SOB and not very self-aware. Now he’s blocking people on Twitter.

Money talks and eventually that will overcome everything. The only question is how long can they keep golf courses operating in the middle east.

If they aren’t on the tellie then their sponsors will probably go away or switch to euro or Middle East ones that will be more than willing to pay them for the first year or two. I just don’t see it happening after a season or two due to all the travel if the players want to live in the states. They have it good now by jumping on a jet after they are done for the weekend to be home in a few hours.

The wives and girlfriends of the players are absolutely going to love Saudi Arabia. Best country to be a woman.

Reactions: joelbc1
Charlie has since admitted that he was wrong about his initial understanding of the rule. He had 3 options for relief, and chose poorly based on where his ball crossed the hazard line.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Charlie has since admitted that he was wrong about his initial understanding of the rule. He had 3 options for relief, and chose poorly based on where his ball crossed the hazard line.

It’s amazing. I’ve worked tournaments inside the ropes as a volunteer and you’d have guys playing for millions that didn’t know the basic rules of their game. Where can I drop? What are my options, etc?

However, his original point was this exact thing has happened before and NOTHING had been done about it. And he was ranting….but the PGA screwed the pooch to some extent here, too.
But Hoffman recanting is not surprising….what was surprising is how BIG TIME he went off about it.

Are there actually people in here who think his dropped ball should have counted as another penalty stroke?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT