ADVERTISEMENT

Now I am 99.9% sure opening up schools is going to go badly.

rawImage.png

This is the dumbest shit I've ever seen.

I don’t understand why this is so hard for Kim and others to understand. The obvious answers are staring everyone in the face. Ockham’s Razor and such.

It is hard for Kim bc she has Trump's mushroom so far down her throat at the moment.

Crazy how only the most hardcore partisan posters immediately have to go to the WELL YOU ARE AN IDIOT defense.

its almost like they have no basis for their arguments other than latching onto politics because their lives suck.

Well if you don't want to be called an idiot then don't say idiotic things.

It's kind of funny...many of the left leaning parents want online learning for their kids to start and the right leaning parents want their kids in school with no masks. What the hell?

I'm a moderate parent and my kids desperately want to be back in school....but without safety protocols, we can't have nice things.

It will be interesting if all of them get sent home.
In Illinois masks are required. Heard a bunch of parents in my building are going to the dr to get notes saying they can’t wear masks. Luckily, our lawyers said if they don’t wear a mask, they ain’t coming into the building no matter what. I know I’ll still have some parents that test me on the first day.

It’s what we are being programmed to think by both sides. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle, but we as a country don’t seem to have a middle any longer. I personally want my kid in school. If him wearing a mask makes the teacher and students feel more comfortable, so be it. I’d have him wear a hazmat suit if he had to so he could go back to school

My kids are almost begging at this point to back to school and see their friends again. I'm stuck in the middle too. I want to ensure everyone's safety but I also want my kids back in school. We'll follow all guidelines set forth to achieve both of those goals.

Be safe!

Serious question.

Do anti-school opening people think there are going to be zero cases? Is that the benchmark to you that if there is a case then you shut everything down?

I'm actually really happy my son is getting a chance to go to school in-person. But I really don't really see how it will work for more than a few weeks, especially when the school is pushing athletics. Half of the boys (7th through 12th) will be facing off against each other in football practice, without masks. What could go wrong. I'm hoping for the best, but I just don't envision a scenario where it plays out with stoppage(s).

There's also a chance that the start dates will keep getting pushed further and further back.

Wow. That's some real scientific data right there.
May help...
Most likely to...

Try to find an efficacy test that proves masks are effective at spreading Covid-19. I'll help - you won't find one. Sames as SARS and others.
Sigh - OK. Here you go.

Take, for example, a meta-analysis of 172 studies that looked at various interventions to prevent the transmission of COVID-19, SARS and MERS from an infected person to people close to them. The analysis, which was published in The Lancet on June 1, found that mask wearing significantly reduces the risk of viral transmission.

One study, published in late May in BMJ Global Health, looked at people in households in Beijing where one person was confirmed to have COVID-19. At the time, explains study co-author Raina MacIntyre, research was already showing that the majority of transmission of the virus was happening inside households, and China already had a culture of mask wearing. The study found that in households where everyone was wearing a face mask indoors as a precaution before they knew anyone who lived there was sick, the risk of transmission was cut by 79%.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/06/21/880832213/yes-wearing-masks-helps-heres-why

This is why we signed up for online school. We know this is going to go badly and it's going to get really bad when flu starts mixing in with COVID. That is if school is open that long.

You can't expect little kids to socially distance. . . or wear masks for that matter.

And that's even if their parents told them to. Many of their parents are going to tell them the opposite and probably some of their parents have told them that the virus isn't even real.

And some people can't grasp analogy.

If somebody chooses not to wear a mask but maintains 6'+ distance from others then they are no more of a hazard than anybody else with a mask on. If 2 people without pants on pee on each other then you have an absurd meme that is just trying to mock people who are rational about the whole situation.

Reactions: hawkland14
If somebody chooses not to wear a mask but maintains 6'+ distance from others then they are no more of a hazard than anybody else with a mask on. If 2 people without pants on pee on each other then you have an absurd meme that is just trying to mock people who are rational about the whole situation.
Or mocking people who can't connect an analogy. Or those without a sense of humor. Take your pick.

Serious question.

Do anti-school opening people think there are going to be zero cases? Is that the benchmark to you that if there is a case then you shut everything down?
No. No that isn't a serious question. No body is anti-school opening. The answer to your question has been given repeatedly my multiple people on here. Stop being willfully ignorant.

Reactions: bojihawk44
Serious question.

That is the challenge with this virus, if there is one case in the school there is likely 10 more that are not diagnosed and it will then spread through the school like wild fire through a dry prairie. So yeah, it is kind of how things have to be run unless you just don't GAF about spreading the virus which means you don't care about the deaths that will likely come from the spread to teachers, administrators, coaches, and family/parents of students.

It effing sucks but the virus kind of sets these terms and all we can do is choose to play by those rules or just ignore them all together.

In Illinois masks are required. Heard a bunch of parents in my building are going to the dr to get notes saying they can’t wear masks. Luckily, our lawyers said if they don’t wear a mask, they ain’t coming into the building no matter what. I know I’ll still have some parents that test me on the first day.

Kill them.

just kidding (kind of)

Burlington summer school lasted 2 days. Opened on a Monday. Closed on a Wednesday. If we make it two months, we should be in good shape.

LOL...two weeks is all it will take. I mean when we already know what the outcome is going to be at 90% of schools across the nation (thanks to so much community spread) why not just accept that fact and do the right thing out of the gate.

Kids will be emotionally hurt when the rug gets pulled out from underneath them again, I wonder how many suicides and at home beatings this rug pulling will result in...shame on you guys for providing false hope.

Reactions: Tom Paris
LOL...two weeks is all it will take. I mean when we already know what the outcome is going to be at 90% of schools across the nation (thanks to so much community spread) why not just accept that fact and do the right thing out of the gate.

Kids will be emotionally hurt when the rug gets pulled out from underneath them again, I wonder how many suicides and at home beatings this rug pulling will result in...shame on you guys for providing false hope.
I want to go back and I would like to ease into it by rotating maybe a quarter of the kids through, like one of the options our Super came out with. Then add more if it goes well. Then add more. Unfortunately, Governor Kim doesn't want to baby step it.

Reactions: unIowa
I want to go back and I would like to ease into it by rotating maybe a quarter of the kids through, like one of the options our Super came out with. Then add more if it goes well. Then add more. Unfortunately, Governor Kim doesn't want to baby step it.

Right...she wanted to full open the economy without baby stepping it as well and look where that got us. She is just one of the dumbest governors in the US, it is embarrassing.

Reactions: Tom Paris

Not inside brother.

O please explain

Today we've a new study, from researchers at the University of Nebraska Medical Center, that addresses both of these shortcomings. While not currently a peer-reviewed paper, UNMC is well versed in dealing with airborne viruses, being one of a handful of National Ebola Training and Education Centers in the country.

Not only were these researchers able capture aerosolized virus particles in patient's room air, they were able to demonstrate viability, by growing them in cell cultures.

But maybe you think you know more than one of the top 5 infectious disease hospitals/research facilities in the world. You do know when there is an Ebola outbreak anywhere in the world it is UNMC that lines up logistics, materials, doctors to that area of the world to contain it, right??? I'm buddies with the guy who works that end of it, these guys are the best in the world and it is where I am getting most of my C19 info from...you are not a good source of info in comparison.

In fairness she is somewhat taking baby steps by only requiring 50% of core classes to be in person, and as far as I know, has not interfered with an individual school district's mask policy.

Lots of data out there. Children should probably be back in schools. Data from masks is not conclusive. Folks have shown studies on here, but those are based upon cloth mask and droplets (coughing, sneezing) not breathing, talking, sitting next to people. Good luck enforcing masks all day with kids. Not against it at all, just think it's unrealistic.

spiked: You’ve described our policy as an ‘anti-lockdown’. What do you mean by that?

Kendrick: How many people aged 15 or under have died of Covid-19? Four. The chance of dying from a lightning strike is one in 700,000. The chance of dying of Covid-19 in that age group is one in 3.5million. And we locked them all down. Even among the 15- to 44-year-olds, the death rate is very low and the vast majority of deaths have been people who had significant underlying health conditions. We locked them down as well. We locked down the population that had virtually zero risk of getting any serious problems from the disease, and then spread it wildly among the highly vulnerable age group. If you had written a plan for making a complete bollocks of things you would have come up with this one.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/06/26/the-lockdown-is-causing-so-many-deaths/

For this time period, in these seven countries combined, 44 COVID-19 deaths were reported in 42,846 confirmed cases (this latter number is likely to be a massive underestimate; data were not available for France) in those aged 0–19 years (0–14 in USA). This compares with 13,200 estimated deaths from all-causes, including 1056 from unintentional injury, and 308 from lower respiratory tract infection (107 from influenza). The situation in each country was almost identical, and in accordance with early data from China8 i.e. COVID rarely kills children, even compared with influenza, against which many children are already vaccinated. Our data show that for mortality COVID-19 is similar to flu, or less severe, in children whilst being the opposite in adults.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0033350620302092?via=ihub

That is the challenge with this virus, if there is one case in the school there is likely 10 more that are not diagnosed and it will then spread through the school like wild fire through a dry prairie. So yeah, it is kind of how things have to be run unless you just don't GAF about spreading the virus which means you don't care about the deaths that will likely come from the spread to teachers, administrators, coaches, and family/parents of students.

It effing sucks but the virus kind of sets these terms and all we can do is choose to play by those rules or just ignore them all together.

My son's summer baseball team had a kid get sick and ultimately test positive for COVID-19. He was fine the Monday after 4th of July at practice and woke up with fever and a cough Tuesday and got tested. Got his positive result Friday, just before we were to go play a tournament. Team pulled out and they'll resume practices next week (the kid kicked the symptoms in a couple days and rest of team tested negative). That's a two-week break for a team of 14 HS aged baseball players.

Obviously school is much more important than a summer baseball team, but that's going to be the challenge. I don't think we're going to see a spike of dead kids by re-opening schools, but the logistics will be a nightmare. Some kids and teachers WILL get it (not necessarily from school), that's just fact. Kids who test positive will have to stay home until they clear any symptoms and get a negative test, as will teachers. Will there be enough subs? Will one sick kid take out an entire class?

I've read multiple things about kids. Little kids do seem to catch it and spread it less, but some of what I've read hasn't had a good handle on "why" - some speculation that being shorter with smaller lungs keeps their spray lower than adult face level with a shorter radius. if that's largely the reason, I wonder how that would apply within a setting of kids. Social distancing will help, but classrooms aren't built for social distancing generally. I've also read some sources that the kid difference starts to fade around 10 and teens/pre-teens are more comparable to adults. We're still learning.

Even if we get kids into schools, there will be disruption. Local schools might have to go full remote if there's a big local outbreak.

My son's summer baseball team had a kid get sick and ultimately test positive for COVID-19. He was fine the Monday after 4th of July at practice and woke up with fever and a cough Tuesday and got tested. Got his positive result Friday, just before we were to go play a tournament. Team pulled out and they'll resume practices next week (the kid kicked the symptoms in a couple days and rest of team tested negative). That's a two-week break for a team of 14 HS aged baseball players.

Obviously school is much more important than a summer baseball team, but that's going to be the challenge. I don't think we're going to see a spike of dead kids by re-opening schools, but the logistics will be a nightmare. Some kids and teachers WILL get it (not necessarily from school), that's just fact. Kids who test positive will have to stay home until they clear any symptoms and get a negative test, as will teachers. Will there be enough subs? Will one sick kid take out an entire class?

I've read multiple things about kids. Little kids do seem to catch it and spread it less, but some of what I've read hasn't had a good handle on "why" - some speculation that being shorter with smaller lungs keeps their spray lower than adult face level with a shorter radius. if that's largely the reason, I wonder how that would apply within a setting of kids. Social distancing will help, but classrooms aren't built for social distancing generally. I've also read some sources that the kid difference starts to fade around 10 and teens/pre-teens are more comparable to adults. We're still learning.

Even if we get kids into schools, there will be disruption. Local schools might have to go full remote if there's a big local outbreak.

A 14 day layoff will really mess with a hitters timing, especially if they were in a groove.

Reactions: hawkifann
ADVERTISEMENT