ADVERTISEMENT

Now I am 99.9% sure opening up schools is going to go badly.

Lots of data out there. Children should probably be back in schools. Data from masks is not conclusive. Folks have shown studies on here, but those are based upon cloth mask and droplets (coughing, sneezing) not breathing, talking, sitting next to people. Good luck enforcing masks all day with kids. Not against it at all, just think it's unrealistic.

spiked: You’ve described our policy as an ‘anti-lockdown’. What do you mean by that?

Kendrick: How many people aged 15 or under have died of Covid-19? Four. The chance of dying from a lightning strike is one in 700,000. The chance of dying of Covid-19 in that age group is one in 3.5million. And we locked them all down. Even among the 15- to 44-year-olds, the death rate is very low and the vast majority of deaths have been people who had significant underlying health conditions. We locked them down as well. We locked down the population that had virtually zero risk of getting any serious problems from the disease, and then spread it wildly among the highly vulnerable age group. If you had written a plan for making a complete bollocks of things you would have come up with this one.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/06/26/the-lockdown-is-causing-so-many-deaths/

For this time period, in these seven countries combined, 44 COVID-19 deaths were reported in 42,846 confirmed cases (this latter number is likely to be a massive underestimate; data were not available for France) in those aged 0–19 years (0–14 in USA). This compares with 13,200 estimated deaths from all-causes, including 1056 from unintentional injury, and 308 from lower respiratory tract infection (107 from influenza). The situation in each country was almost identical, and in accordance with early data from China8 i.e. COVID rarely kills children, even compared with influenza, against which many children are already vaccinated. Our data show that for mortality COVID-19 is similar to flu, or less severe, in children whilst being the opposite in adults.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0033350620302092?via=ihub

Kids bring viruses home with them and from the studies coming out that 10 years old and up carriers have the same viral load as a 40 year old.

Again if we open up schools just to have to close them 2 - 4 weeks later how many kids will end up killing themselves bc of it?

In fairness she is somewhat taking baby steps by only requiring 50% of core classes to be in person, and as far as I know, has not interfered with an individual school district's mask policy.
Not allowing a district to take baby steps is not somewhat taking baby steps.

Reactions: unIowa
Kids bring viruses home with them and from the studies coming out that 10 years old and up carriers have the same viral load as a 40 year old.

Again if we open up schools just to have to close them 2 - 4 weeks later how many kids will end up killing themselves bc of it?

There are no studies out there that say this. Don't give me the S. Korea study either that the NYT promoted, because that's not what the study says at all.

A decision regarding masks being a requirement should be left to the local boards, not the state, and any school boards that don't require them are made up of idiots.
I disagree. Perhaps the best thing Pritzker did was to make masks a requirement. It’s a unified response and much needed, particularly in the suburbs where kids from different districts are together socially while not in school.

This looks like a good time to reimagine our school system. We can defund the public school districts and move it to the private sector.

I saw a story on the news the other night where some local parents hired a teacher and have set a classroom up in the basement for the neighborhood kids getting around the large classrooms.

It is time to go to a voucher program using a hybrid system for inner city and other areas that might be poor. Higher vouchers would solve the reparation problem by using it to educate the children.

The hybrid system could provide social workers and more security so the children could have a safer environment.

Moving to all year schools would also be included which would solve the problem with daycare and some poorer students not being able to eat.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
This looks like a good time to reimagine our school system. We can defund the public school districts and move it to the private sector.

I saw a story on the news the other night where some local parents hired a teacher and have set a classroom up in the basement for the neighborhood kids getting around the large classrooms.

It is time to go to a voucher program using a hybrid system for inner city and other areas that might be poor. Higher vouchers would solve the reparation problem by using it to educate the children.

The hybrid system could provide social workers and more security so the children could have a safer environment.

Moving to all year schools would also be included which would solve the problem with daycare and some poorer students not being able to eat.
The question I always come back to when the subject of vouchers or school choice comes into play - who gets to choose? If there is a "great" school, many will want to go there vs. the "bad" school. Who chooses where each kid goes? And how do you manage that when wealthy families demand their children go to the "great" school?

The question I always come back to when the subject of vouchers or school choice comes into play - who gets to choose? If there is a "great" school, many will want to go there vs. the "bad" school. Who chooses where each kid goes? And how do you manage that when wealthy families demand their children go to the "great" school?

Already addressed in my post. The poorer areas get a higher voucher.

There would no longer be public schools.

Already addressed in my post. The poorer areas get a higher voucher.

There would no longer be public schools.
I can see it now, wealthy kids going to inner city schools and poor kids going to the new, suburban schools. The theory is OK in the pursuit of fairness, but it's simply not practicable. Those with power and money will never let this happen.

Bringing schools and communities up to the levels of good/great is the key. That takes commitment and funding - that's also very hard to get but more likely, imo, that expecting parents to send their kids to substandard schools.

I just got out of a staff zoom meeting lead by my boss. She is being told by many parents that their children will NOT be wearing masks at school. This is why we won't be beating this thing anytime soon. We have pregnant teachers and a couple receiving chemo. If I am them, those kids would be wearing masks or they wouldn't be entering my classroom. Especially with backing by the Super.

The goddamn selfishness of people will never stop amazing me. I truly didn't realize we were this stupid as a society until Covid hit.
Then they are choosing to attend online. It’s that simple. You are going to have idiots that want to buck the system. Every school needs to have the option for their child to continue learning online. People have a choice either to wear the mask or not, but not wearing it should mean they don’t come to school not the Principal caving to their demands.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I am 100% for reopening schools, but only if masks are required.

I agree that it will be a mess if/when this happens.
Dream on!! Not gonna happen. Parents are almost as dumb and worthless as the government.

I see like 10% of the snot nose brats wearing masks. If they don't wear them now they won't in a few weeks.

It’s what we are being programmed to think by both sides. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle, but we as a country don’t seem to have a middle any longer. I personally want my kid in school. If him wearing a mask makes the teacher and students feel more comfortable, so be it. I’d have him wear a hazmat suit if he had to so he could go back to school
I'm an independent...yes shame most Americans are sheep that feel the need to pick 1 letter instead of 3......USA!!! :(

Then they are choosing to attend online. It’s that simple. You are going to have idiots that want to buck the system. Every school needs to have the option for their child to continue learning online. People have a choice either to wear the mask or not, but not wearing it should mean they don’t come to school not the Principal caving to their demands.
I hope this goes exactly as you say it should. There are too many people who think rules don't apply to them.

Many teachers I know don’t really like their job and are using any excuse they can to lay at home eating Cheezits and watch game shows while getting paid

lazy as hell

I hope this goes exactly as you say it should. There are too many people who think rules don't apply to them.
It has to! If you are a Principal who feels strongly about the issue, then that person needs to accommodate those people for online schooling as an alternative.

It has to! If you are a Principal who feels strongly about the issue, then that person needs to accommodate those people for online schooling as an alternative.
Where does the Principal get the resources to do online teaching?

Who’s running these schools?

Private sector. kind of a progressive idea but the schools could give the teachers more freedoms to teach.

As I said, you give the poorer communities more in the voucher.

You are solving a lot of problems here. You go year around. Helps with daycare, solves the starving children, and increases the opportunity for poorer people to get a better education using a hybrid for the inner city.

Private sector. kind of a progressive idea but the schools could give the teachers more freedoms to teach.

As I said, you give the poorer communities more in the voucher.

You are solving a lot of problems here. You go year around. Helps with daycare, solves the starving children, and increases the opportunity for poorer people to get a better education using a hybrid for the inner city.
Again, the theory sounds good but doesn't work. How do you get wealthy, powerful people to send their kids to poorly performing schools?

Every school has access the ability to access it.
No. Every school does not have the resources to give students the technology needed to make this happen, for instance. There is much more to providing online education than just setting up a camera and pointing it at a teacher.

Again, the theory sounds good but doesn't work. How do you get wealthy, powerful people to send their kids to poorly performing schools?

Poorly performing schools? I think the schools would be better all around. If the parents aren't participating, or we as a society don't agree with what they are doing we can also set up a school that has dormitories for these kinds of parents and kids.

We can also require that professionals and professional athletes actually participate in a mentoring system where they have to give x amount of days serving as mentors in all the schools.

It would take some doing, but would improve things in the long run.

Poorly performing schools? I think the schools would be better all around. If the parents aren't participating, or we as a society don't agree with what they are doing we can also set up a school that has dormitories for these kinds of parents and kids.

We can also require that professionals and professional athletes actually participate in a mentoring system where they have to give x amount of days serving as mentors in all the schools.

Whoa - so now you're going to make people be mentors? And how/who will determine what "society" deems acceptable of parents and kids?

Fortunately the Constitution and our Civil Liberties prevent this notion from even being considered. At least I hope so.

Whoa - so now you're going to make people be mentors? And how/who will determine what "society" deems acceptable of parents and kids?

Fortunately the Constitution and our Civil Liberties prevent this notion from even being considered. At least I hope so.

We live in a country where they can tell you if your business can stay open or closed, you have to wear a mask in public, and if you support a certain candidate or position you get fired from your job.

Civil liberties are long gone unfortunately. We may as well use this new power the government has to improve our children's future.

We live in a country where they can tell you if your business can stay open or closed, you have to wear a mask in public, and if you support a certain candidate or position you get fired from your job.

Civil liberties are long gone unfortunately. We may as well use this new power the government has to improve our children's future.
You're off your freaking rocker.

No. Every school does not have the resources to give students the technology needed to make this happen, for instance. There is much more to providing online education than just setting up a camera and pointing it at a teacher.
There are online classes that students can take that count as HS credit. Students do it all the time even before all of this Covid stuff. Some students who are credit deficient take an online class in addition to the regular classes they are taking. The online classes most hs students take do not involve a teacher or camera.

There are online classes that students can take that count as HS credit. Students do it all the time even before all of this Covid stuff. Some students who are credit deficient take an online class in addition to the regular classes they are taking. The online classes most hs students take do not involve a teacher or camera.
FFS - there are hundreds of thousands of non-HS students that need to be considered.

I went to a workshop a couple of months ago and they asked the question, ‘how has your school changed since you were that age?’ Outside of technology, SEL and some other simple changes, the day pretty much looks the same. We still spend x number of minutes per day with math, LA, science, SS, specials, lunch and recess. Things really haven’t changed, and I’m not sure that’s a good thing.

i like the idea, but really have my doubts about being able to consistently pull it off. Sounds somewhat like what charter schools are doing in my area and they have struggled. I appreciate the idea.

I just got out of a staff zoom meeting lead by my boss. She is being told by many parents that their children will NOT be wearing masks at school. This is why we won't be beating this thing anytime soon. We have pregnant teachers and a couple receiving chemo. If I am them, those kids would be wearing masks or they wouldn't be entering my classroom. Especially with backing by the Super.

The goddamn selfishness of people will never stop amazing me. I truly didn't realize we were this stupid as a society until Covid hit.

I’m 99.999% certain you omitted more information and context.

Serious question.

Do anti-school opening people think there are going to be zero cases? Is that the benchmark to you that if there is a case then you shut everything down?

That's an interesting question and here is the rub. I work at a hospital and based on health guidelines from various organizations, if a coworker tests positive I don't immediately have to quarantine and can remain at work, but only if I was wearing a mask and appropriately distancing.

I think a pod like hybrid model could work for schools. You go to school in person only a few days a week or in shifts per day. If someone tests positive then that pod could stay home for a few weeks without taking down the whole school.

Likewise I think we sell kids shorts on mask. I was at the farmers market this weekend and an Asian lady with her 4 year old in a stroller were walking around. Both had masks on. We had to wait in line behind them. The kids never touched his mask. Young kids ability to wear masks is based on example, teaching by parents, and reinforcement.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Many teachers I know don’t really like their job and are using any excuse they can to lay at home eating Cheezits and watch game shows while getting paid

lazy as hell

Sounds a lot like the farmers that shop at farm and fleet, collecting government subsidies to keep their business afloat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT