ADVERTISEMENT

Now I am 99.9% sure opening up schools is going to go badly.

Tom Paris

HR King
Oct 1, 2001
I just got out of a staff zoom meeting lead by my boss. She is being told by many parents that their children will NOT be wearing masks at school. This is why we won't be beating this thing anytime soon. We have pregnant teachers and a couple receiving chemo. If I am them, those kids would be wearing masks or they wouldn't be entering my classroom. Especially with backing by the Super.

The goddamn selfishness of people will never stop amazing me. I truly didn't realize we were this stupid as a society until Covid hit.

Last edited:
I just got out of a staff zoom meeting lead by my boss. She is being told by many parents that their children will NOT be wearing masks at school. This is why we won't be beating this thing anytime soon. We have pregnant teachers and a couple receiving chemo. If I am them, those kids would be wearing masks or they won't be entering my classroom. Especially with backing by the Super.

The goddamn selfishness of people will never stop amazing me. I truly didn't realize we were this stupid as a society until Covid hit.

you didn’t read your own posts before COVID?

I am 100% for reopening schools, but only if masks are required.

I agree that it will be a mess if/when this happens.
It's kind of funny...many of the left leaning parents want online learning for their kids to start and the right leaning parents want their kids in school with no masks. What the hell?

It's kind of funny...many of the left leaning parents want online learning for their kids to start and the right leaning parents want their kids in school with no masks. What the hell?
It’s what we are being programmed to think by both sides. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle, but we as a country don’t seem to have a middle any longer. I personally want my kid in school. If him wearing a mask makes the teacher and students feel more comfortable, so be it. I’d have him wear a hazmat suit if he had to so he could go back to school

I just got out of a staff zoom meeting lead by my boss. She is being told by many parents that their children will NOT be wearing masks at school. This is why we won't be beating this thing anytime soon. We have pregnant teachers and a couple receiving chemo. If I am them, those kids would be wearing masks or they wouldn't be entering my classroom. Especially with backing by the Super.

Why can't your school just say you have two choices: (1) wear a mask and do the hybrid model or (2) home school with distance learning? Isn't that an option for all districts in Iowa? Wear a mask or tough nuggies.

the mask requirement was one of the reasons I felt comfortable with the girls going back to school in person. And I'm banking on many parents choosing to keep their kids home so there will be fewer students. We've told the girls repeatedly that we follow the rules because that is how people stay safe and we can go back to normal.

There is no doubt that covid is bringing out the dumb in people. I said it back in March that we would see this virus bring out the best in America. I couldn't have been more wrong on that one. Swing and a big ass miss.

We just got a call from our school district today. They are going to start the school year remote and go from there. Sucks, but we were leaning towards keeping our kids home anyway as we have the means for it.

Last edited:

it sounds like you just dont want to go back to work

Reactions: UKGrad93
I'm conservative in most things.
I'm for opening schools. I'm for high school students wearing masks. I'm for everyone wearing masks in indoor spaces.

I'm ambivalent about making elementary students wear masks all day. It doesn't seem like transmission from and among the young is that significant. And I can imagine how difficult it would be for 2nd graders to wear one all day.

I'm open to all evidence and statistics to help with deciding.

Reactions: UKGrad93

Yeah, I am sure that's it. Perfectly right versus left. Speaking of dumb.

Why can't your school just say you have two choices: (1) wear a mask and do the hybrid model or (2) home school with distance learning? Isn't that an option for all districts in Iowa? Wear a mask or tough nuggies.
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Reynolds has said masks are mandatory. Unless she says they are, parents probably can and will fight it.

Reactions: unIowa
Masks should be required. Their effectiveness for the younger kids is questionable, but there should be an effort.

To clarify, I don't think a lot of the younger kids are going to be able to keep their hands off the masks, or wear them properly.

I hate to hear this.
Wear the damn masks!

There is no doubt that covid is bringing out the dumb in people. I said it back in March that we would see this virus bring out the best in America. I couldn't have been further from the truth on that one. Swing and a big ass miss.

We just got a call from our school district today. They are going to start the school year remote and go from there. Sucks, but we were leaning towards keeping our kids home anyway as we have the means for it.
In my opinion, mask up when social distancing isn’t possible/sensible.

School is one of those instances. I badly want my kids back in school, and I think all kids should mask up.

Reactions: goldmom

Please show evidence a child, or anyone, wearing a mask won't spread the virus

This. If you want to be stupid with your kids, keep them at home. And if you want to be smart with your kids, then do the mask and hybrid model. It is not rocket science folks.

Reactions: goldmom
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think Reynolds has said masks are mandatory. Unless she says they are, parents probably can and will fight it.
There will be no change in the Education Department’s recommendation that districts not require that students and teachers wear masks in school.

https://www.3newsnow.com/news/local...ion-saying-parents-can-chose-virtual-learning

“There are just so many things that go into it,” Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds, a Republican, said in explaining why she opposes a school mask requirement. “If somebody wears the same mask for seven days without appropriately washing it or changing it out, is it actually doing what it’s supposed to be doing? Who’s going to monitor that?”

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/n...ks-in-schools-varies-widely-across-us-states/

There is no doubt that covid is bringing out the dumb in people. I said it back in March that we would see this virus bring out the best in America. I couldn't have been further from the truth on that one. Swing and a big ass miss.

Are you in Iowa? I didn't think that was permitted without a special dispensation from the governator.

Trying to mask kids in the lower grades wouldn't work too well anyway.

It’s what we are being programmed to think by both sides. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle, but we as a country don’t seem to have a middle any longer. I personally want my kid in school. If him wearing a mask makes the teacher and students feel more comfortable, so be it. I’d have him wear a hazmat suit if he had to so he could go back to school

I'm not even sure the truth is in the middle -- if there is a "truth" anyway. But what we can't have, and what's really lost, is open, reasonable discussions weighing pros and cons of such a move.

If I were pregnant or on chemo, I wouldn't want to be around school kids, masked or not.

And if I had kids, we'd be opting out of school (in person anyway).

Reopening school isn't for the people you've described. It doesn't mean nobody should be there.

Reactions: seminole97
the mask requirement was one of the reasons I felt comfortable with the girls going back to school in person. And I'm banking on many parents choosing to keep their kids home so there will be fewer students. We've told the girls repeatedly that we follow the rules because that is how people stay safe and we can go back to normal.
So, you parented? How refreshing.

There will be no change in the Education Department’s recommendation that districts not require that students and teachers wear masks in school.

https://www.3newsnow.com/news/local...ion-saying-parents-can-chose-virtual-learning

“There are just so many things that go into it,” Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds, a Republican, said in explaining why she opposes a school mask requirement. “If somebody wears the same mask for seven days without appropriately washing it or changing it out, is it actually doing what it’s supposed to be doing? Who’s going to monitor that?”

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/n...ks-in-schools-varies-widely-across-us-states/

The same people who change their kid’s underwear, lady. I don’t know that you’ll be able to keep very young kids in masks the whole day, but it’s better to try than go with defeatist Kimmy.

ADVERTISEMENT