ADVERTISEMENT

Now I can see why CJF, Nunge and Weezey leaving

The nepotism and blind loyalty is beyond ridiculous. Fran looks like an IDIOT!!!

All these guard transfers available and he brings back a walk on player on scholarship.

I used to love Fran but now I want him gone!
Go to your bank or broker, cash in some stocks or your supply of bitcoins, gather a couple of million dollars and mail it to Barta. Maybe then he will give a shit what you want.

Reactions: perryhawk and SB_SB
There are teams that are successful right now grabbing players out of the portal every year to start.

Beard, Few, Altman, Mussleman, Oats just to name a few.
Beard has hovered right around .500 in Big 12 play (but has admittedly performed better in March), Few has primarily used the portal as Fran has. Nembhard and Cook were his only transfers last year, and he tends to only take starters in situations similar to Iowa’s with Rebraca. Altman built his program on player development, and hasn’t started utilizing the portal with frequency until the last few years. Oregon is also an incredibly easy school to recruit to compared to Iowa. Musselman may be onto something, but he’s coached for two years at a P5 school. I’ll be interested to see if Arkansas can sustain success. Nate Oats is exactly the same

It’s a nice high horse to climb on but.... should it though? In this context? Should it be celebrated?

I mean... at one extreme you have a program like Kentucky with five and four stars up and down the roster while Cal literally NEVER STOPS RECRUITING OVER MOST OF THEM. He never stops. The fans are not only ok with this, they demand it.

At the other extreme, you have something like this. Giving a scholly to a good kid who is unlikely to really help your team outside of practice (while the transfer portal is literally chock full of better players).

Now... I think most reasonable people find Kentucky’s approach troubling. But there has to be a happy medium somewhere if we ever plan on actually winning something in the next 20 years.

Fran isn’t here to be a nice guy and to reward loyalty. He’s here to win basketball games.

Isn’t he?
I think the primary difference is Kentucky can get 4/5* players without trying. Iowa has to develop their players, the team has a number of kids that have spent time learning and developing, you recruit over through the portal for a marginal one year gain the ripple effect may be much worse than staying the course. Fran's MO is developing talent and retaining through loyalty. Giving Ash the scholarship allows Fran to stay loyal to his guys and continue to develop those that he trusts to represent the university. If he hits on those guys that he has recruited, they can play at a high level, and the remain loyal to him and Iowa...then he wins. If they don't develop, are exposed with greater minutes and responsibility, then he loses.

The good news is either way the message board will benefit!

Reactions: mstp1992
I think the primary difference is Kentucky can get 4/5* players without trying. Iowa has to develop their players, the team has a number of kids that have spent time learning and developing, you recruit over through the portal for a marginal one year gain the ripple effect may be much worse than staying the course. Fran's MO is developing talent and retaining through loyalty. Giving Ash the scholarship allows Fran to stay loyal to his guys and continue to develop those that he trusts to represent the university. If he hits on those guys that he has recruited, they can play at a high level, and the remain loyal to him and Iowa...then he wins. If they don't develop, are exposed with greater minutes and responsibility, then he loses.

The good news is either way the message board will benefit!
In your post, you could replace Kentucky with Ohio State, and Fran with Kirk, and it's the same for the football team.

Reactions: TritonHawkeye
Beard has hovered right around .500 in Big 12 play (but has admittedly performed better in March), Few has primarily used the portal as Fran has. Nembhard and Cook were his only transfers last year, and he tends to only take starters in situations similar to Iowa’s with Rebraca. Altman built his program on player development, and hasn’t started utilizing the portal with frequency until the last few years. Oregon is also an incredibly easy school to recruit to compared to Iowa. Musselman may be onto something, but he’s coached for two years at a P5 school. I’ll be interested to see if Arkansas can sustain success. Nate Oats is exactly the same

Beard was at Tech for 5 seasons and went 49-40 in the league. The 5 seasons prior to Beard, Tech went 22-68 in conference play.

Few has taken at least one transfer every season for the past 10 so not like Fran at all.

Altman just finished his 11th season at Oregon and has taken a transfer in every season except his first one.

Oats won the SEC and took Alabama to the Sweet 16 in year 2.

Mussleman took Nevada to the Sweet 16 in year 3 and Arkansas to the Elite 8 in year 2. Safe to say there are on to something and so are a bunch of other college coaches.

Just because there is only 1 ride left doesn't mean you limit your search to guys that would be 13th on the roster. Bring in the best available player you can get even if it means knocking the current guys down a peg.

If Ash was the best guy Fran could get out of the portal at this point with a scholly then yikes.

I understand what you are saying, which is why I said Fran must be comfortable with the the Team he has. I also understand that you cannot play 14 players and keep them happy. There were numerous people on this site concerned that Joe T or Ahron would leave us JBo came back. The unknown is always more appealing to some, at least until it becomes a known commodity.

Last edited:
I don’t root for coaches. I root for teams.

If you can continue to “enjoy the seasons” season after season for literally decades without Iowa ever winning anything or even making the second weekend of the tourney... well ... I’m frankly ambivalent about that. I mean ... obviously it’s good for you. You have a comparably low bar for entertainment and enjoyment. That makes for a pleasant, lower-stress life in general. Congratulations.

Is it good for the program? If there are tens of thousands of fans like you (and I think that there are), I just don’t see how it can be.

That’s what I meant by my comment that the same number of fans will tune in whether Iowa is third or ninth. From the administration to the AD to the coaches to the players all the way down to the fat @ss fans stuffing ice cream down their necks ... there is no real expectation to actually compete at the highest level ...well... ever.

With no payoff ever expected, it gets harder and harder for me to “enjoy the seasons” Garza made it easy last year. Going forward....? Watching Fran’s sons develop and walk ons “earn” schollys for giving it their best for three years ....just doesn’t do it for me.

I root for the team and not the coach as well, which is why I said I would root for whoever is the next coach if Iowa makes a change. Also, I do not base the success of the season on one game. We know that the NCAA tournament is a crapshoot and success is often dependent in matchups. I really wish Iowa would have made a longer run, but it did not happen. Fran may or may not be the guy to take Iowa in that longer run.

Constantly complaining and nitpicking every little thing on a message board is not going to change that though. I have mellowed as I have gotten older and realize that it is not worth getting so worked up over a game, so I try to let it go after the game is over and hope for better next time.

I understand why you are saying, which is why I said Fran must be comfortable with the the Team he has. I also understand that you cannot play 14 players and keep them happy. There were numerous people on this site concerned that Joe T or Ahron would leave us JBo came back. The unknown is always more appealing to some, at least until it becomes a known commodity.

Always going to be attrition. The best team possible should be built each offseason. College basketball roster construction is moving to a one year at a time landscape.

Why put yourself through the suffering if you don’t enjoy the product? I’m not saying you’re a bad fan or you need to cheer for another team. What you do with your life is completely up to you. You control whether or not to stick with it.

If you seriously get frothing at the mouth upset over this, or any other entertainment source for that matter, you may need to reevaluate your priorities a little.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Always going to be attrition. The best team possible should be built each offseason. College basketball roster construction is moving to a one year at a time landscape.

That is definitely the trend and something that Fran will need to embrace or retire. We do not know who he spoke to this year, but he seems to have gotten a good starting big man and two guard for next year.

This. Also the same fans complaining about giving Ash a scholarship are the same fans who rant and rave about Fran playing too many players. Now they want to add a 13th?

CJ left so his scholarship should go to a player in the portal who could make up for that significant loss not a damn walk on mop up player!

We know that the NCAA tournament is a crapshoot and success is often dependent in matchups.
What about conference titles?

lol

So.... Iowa has literally had ONE favorable tourney matchup in the last 32 years? Wisconsin sure is lucky. They’ve been to the sweet sixteen ten times since our last one.

Funny how the matchups get better for teams that average better than a 7 seed every other year.

Question: Don’t you ever want to see Iowa win something? Would you really just keep watching for the rest of your life knowing that we will never seriously contend for a league title or threaten a deep run in the tourney? Really?

Ummm....it did. Just so happens that player was already on our team and was convinced to return for a 6th year. Was there a better shooter we could have gotten in the portal? Doubtful
And, his scholarship doesn’t count against the limit of 13, hence the still available scholarship for:
Wieskamp,
a player yet to be named from the portal,
or you just bank it for next year.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye

lol

So.... Iowa has literally had ONE favorable tourney matchup in the last 32 years? Wisconsin sure is lucky. They’ve been to the sweet sixteen ten times since our last one.

Funny how the matchups get better for teams that average better than a 7 seed every other year.

Question: Don’t you ever want to see Iowa win something? Would you really just keep watching for the rest of your life knowing that we will never seriously contend for a league title or threaten a deep run in the tourney? Really?

I would love to see Iowa win something and hope that it will happen while I am still alive. I am not going to spend my time complaining until it happens though. I have no problem debating in game coaching decisions or having a general discussion about the team and program though. Some people are looking for something to complain about as can be seen in this and other threads. This leads me to believe that there will be people complaining even if Iowa does win something, just because that is what they do.

Reactions: Slim45 and mstp1992

lol

I can be happy watching Iowa basketball even if they never win a title. I’m a diehard Cubs fan.
As long as the product is good, the players and coaches work hard on and off the court, and they all represent the University of Iowa well, then I’m a happy fan.

Reactions: Ronman
Beard was at Tech for 5 seasons and went 49-40 in the league. The 5 seasons prior to Beard, Tech went 22-68 in conference play.

Few has taken at least one transfer every season for the past 10 so not like Fran at all.

Altman just finished his 11th season at Oregon and has taken a transfer in every season except his first one.

Oats won the SEC and took Alabama to the Sweet 16 in year 2.

Mussleman took Nevada to the Sweet 16 in year 3 and Arkansas to the Elite 8 in year 2. Safe to say there are on to something and so are a bunch of other college coaches.
So .550 versus “around .500” .500 on the nose would be a difference of four or five Big 12 wins total across five seasons

Taking transfers every year, and taking transfers every year who are immediately significant contributors/starters are two different things. I looked back a bit on Gonzaga and Oregon, and a number of their transfers are guys who wouldn’t make a substantial impact on the team for another year or two down the road. I’d like to see Fran take more of these guys who have established themselves as decent players with high upside at mid major schools when we have a lot of upperclassmen recruits instead of overloading freshmen classes. Definitely an area for improvement imo

However, I also get the sense that a lot of Iowa fans here just want to see Iowa go out and get the best player they can in the portal every year, which I don’t think is a sustainable long term strategy

I think this move bodes well for the possibility of Wieskamp coming back, no?
I don't think honestly anyone knows at this point, including Weezy.

Most of the local media guys seem to think he's 100% gone to the pro game in one fashion or another. I'm holding out hope that I'll actually get to see him in person again at Carver, but I'm an unrelenting optimist.

Reactions: HerkHawl
I can be happy watching Iowa basketball even if they never win a title. I’m a diehard Cubs fan.
As long as the product is good, the players and coaches work hard on and off the court, and they all represent the University of Iowa well, then I’m a happy fan.
You’ve picked a good program to support. Of course, if you were a Minnesota or Northwestern or Penn State or Rutgers fan it would have worked out pretty much the same for you too.

Assuming OP is speaking of the Ash scholarship.

Nepotism is something that will forever be debated unless Connor were to get surprisingly high or surprisingly low minutes next season. In that case, the debate, by all rights, should be put to rest.

As for the Ash scholly, it's pretty understandable how that is frustrating fans. Granted, none of us are know the inner workings of it all. Good for Austin, and if Fran wasn't planning on adding more players, then Ash's scholly makes a bit more sense. Then again, how many other coaches in the country do we see doing things like this?

Certainly not a dumb take to be frustrated by this
Fran is showing how clueless of a coach he is right here. Giving Ash a scholly is beyond stupid with the MAJOR holes on this team....continues to show everybody what a grade A IDIOT Fran is!

Fran is showing how clueless of a coach he is right here. Giving Ash a scholly is beyond stupid with the MAJOR holes on this team....continues to show everybody what a grade A IDIOT Fran is!

Meanwhile Gonzaga picks up another transfer.

Meanwhile Gonzaga picks up another transfer.

50896091.jpg

Reactions: perryhawk
I get the frustration. I said we could have used another combo guard, even a transfer similar to Bakari Evelyn would have been decent to fill out the roster if you can’t get a big time player. Instead we reward a walkon and roll the dice for the upcoming season with a team that is probably middle of the pack in the Big Ten at best. With the lineup below we’ll have three scholarships available for next year barring transfers. I guess Fran’s idea is that we make sure we have enough scholarships to take advantage of recruiting then.

Guards: Joe T, Ulis, JBo, Perkins, Ash
Forwards: Sandfort, McCaffery, McCaffery, Murray, Murray
Bigs: Ogundele, Mulvey, Rebraca

Our recruiting is trending in the wrong direction though. The previous 3 seasons we’ve had three 4-star players on the roster with some combo between Pat, Cook, Garza, and Joe W. And the latter three were all instant starters when they walked on campus. Pat is the only 4 star player on the roster next year and in his third year in the team he may not even be starting.

I’m going to support the team, but this feels like waving the white flag and voluntarily taking the program a step back instead of continually working to make the team better. We’re replacing Joe W with Sandfort, Garza with Rebraca and Mulvey, and CJ with a walkon who shouldn’t be playing anything more than mop up duty. Every one of those is a step down which is expected, but that last one is gigantic.
I was in favor of at least making contact with some guards in the portal. Maybe the coaches did, but I haven't heard anything. So, I agree with the overall idea that Fran should have tried to bring in an experienced guard, mostly assuming Weesy is gone, which most "insiders" seem to believe. As long as JBo really functions as a leader and doesn't stand in the path of the young guards, especially JoeT, he is probably much better than the great majority of guys who were available in the portal.

I disagree that recruiting has been trending down, unless you really trust the damn stars next to a name more than your eyes. I think last year's class of the twins, Perkins, Ulis, Big O, and now Patrick is going to be very good. Keegan and Patrick are already really good, and Ulis and Perkins showed they can play on both ends. Big O is the outlier and I have to just trust that Fran saw something, but I really like what I saw on Mulvey's tapes. Getting Rebraca will help the team give both of the centers more time to develop and be ready for more than spot minutes. I don't think Sandfort is super athletic, but from tapes and reports, he will be a very solid player, especially if surrounded by plus athletes.

Reactions: Slim45 and mstp1992
Once CJ announced he was leaving, I suspect most of us thought the return of Jbo was next--I told my brother 'guaranteed Jbo returns now'. Once that was announced, I think we all knew that would end Fran's flirtation with the portal. Offering Ash is somewhat immaterial as the scholarship wasn't going to get used on anyone in the portal.

I don't have a problem with it if the pieces work for the upcoming season and Fran gets a high priority guard in the 2022 class-- which I am much more skeptical of. I think pitching it as an answer to losing 3-point shooting is a stretch, but the kid has dreamed of being a Hawk his entire life and has put his time in.

We will find out if Fran is delusional or just knows more than the rest of us about the players he has coming back + Rebraca.

My answer is Yes. I can either choose to watch Iowa or not watch Iowa. I choose to watch them.

Besides being unhappy, what else is there to do?

This is a move by a coach who really has no intention of competing for league titles or deep tourney runs.

The same number of fans will buy tickets and merch and tune in whether Iowa is in 3d place or 9th place. Everyone knows it.

This is an also ran program. We’ve seen the ceiling. Could be worse (Lickliter blah blah blah).

Enjoy it if you can. After 42 years since the last conference title and 22 years since the last sweet sixteen, I’m frankly starting to lose the plot.
When is the last time you had season tickets for Iowa Men's Basketball?

Once CJ announced he was leaving, I suspect most of us thought the return of Jbo was next--I told my brother 'guaranteed Jbo returns now'. Once that was announced, I think we all knew that would end Fran's flirtation with the portal. Offering Ash is somewhat immaterial as the scholarship wasn't going to get used on anyone in the portal.

I don't have a problem with it if the pieces work for the upcoming season and Fran gets a high priority guard in the 2022 class-- which I am much more skeptical of. I think pitching it as an answer to losing 3-point shooting is a stretch, but the kid has dreamed of being a Hawk his entire life and has put his time in.

We will find out if Fran is delusional or just knows more than the rest of us about the players he has coming back + Rebraca.
As I said previously, I don’t think Fran was ever going to strongly pursue a replacement for Wieskamp through the portal. A post-player, yes. But, I think he feels comfortable with his wing options (Patrick, Kris, Tony). Shooting guard was set with CJ. He left, so Jordan gets slotted into that spot and no hit against the team’s scholarship limit.

Even with Ash getting a scholarship, there’s still one available should Wieskamp have a change of heart, a JW clone is suddenly available, or simply hang onto it for next year.

Last edited:
One thing that could be a factor for bringing back Austin is Iowa's recruiting for the 2022 class. Austin Ashe is apparently a great representative of Iowa Basketball. He may have had a determining factor in Garza having selected Iowa out of High School and may have had positive impacts to other players that chose to come to Iowa. Austin Ashe is by all accounts very enthusiastic about Iowa Basketball and a very positive presence on and off the court.

This could also be a move by Fran to try to fix some of the negativity that has come to the program because of the disappointment in the NCAA tournament. It may help recruiting and morale having Austin back on the team and it could certainly help having an upperclassmen that can help with the prep work for isolating the weaknesses of Iowa's upcoming opponents. Austin has great confidence with his shooting so he may be of help there as well but I feel that his enthusiasm and his positive attitude may be of greater importance to the psyche of the team.
I agree! We have one scholarship left still. It is probably sitting around for Joe. If he does indeed go and some stud C or SG is available sure we get them. Otherwise Fran is probably working on next years class and is basically holding it for next year while yet still making use of it. Totally agree that Fran probably decided that he is just real good for team morale.

Reactions: mstp1992
There is a hell of a lot of stupidity and fake outrage in this thread. Wow!

A positive of this - if Iowa brings in a transfer, he won't be the last guy on the bench anymore!

There are a hell of a lot of apologists and fake supporters of this IDIOTIC, average coach who can’t recruit with the big boys or teach a lick of defense.

• Haha
I have news for you. It's extremely unlikely Iowa will get to the "next level" considering Iowa has barely been at the next level in it's history. Other than a span in the 80s and 2 years in the 50s, this is as good as any other time in their history.
Tell that to Texas Tech. Tell that to Baylor. Heck, tell that to Fred Hoiberg and Nebraska. They very likely could have two five star players and another top 25 guy on their roster in 2022.

It’s insane to me that fans are this lazy.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Besides being unhappy, what else is there to do?

lol. Really? It’s a big world filled with wonder. Plenty of better things to do than watch Fran’s sons develop (or not).

Ice climbing. Ice fishing. Winter camping. XC skiiing. Downhill skiing..... Hell staying in and watching Lifetime movies is better than that.

This is the 13th scholarship. Who do you guys think is going to transfer in as the 13 player on the team? I take this to mean that Fran feels good about the team he has and the team chemistry. We will see, but getting upset over who is getting the last scholarship is looking for something to bitch about.
This is self defeating thinking. Who says it has to be for the 13th best player? Bring in a stud with that scholly. A one year rental would be better than wasting it on a guy who won’t play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT