ADVERTISEMENT

Now I can see why CJF, Nunge and Weezey leaving

I came to the conclusion that Fran wasn't the guy to take us to next level about 3 years ago, and then Garza came along giving us false hope. Now it's back to reality. It does no good to say I want him gone but portal ineptitude is strike 3 on top of shitty defensive coaching and amazing nepotism/favoritism lately.

18-19 was really bad too when he was bringing in connor for moss during crunch time causing moss to transfer most likely. I'll always watch but I'm back to not much enthusiasm at all like pre garza. If Hawks miss dance Fran will deserve the criticism, tons of opportunities passing us by in portal
Moss left because he knew CJF was better than he was.

CJF waiting a month to announce he was leaving, killed our chances of landing anyone... Everyone in the portal had already been courted by dozens of teams. Leaving Iowa waaaay behind the 8 ball in recruiting another guard.

We are lucky AF that JBo was able to come back.... But we NEED another guard. Too late to land a top prospect in the portal... I'm still holding out hope we can find someone.

lol. Really? It’s a big world filled with wonder. Plenty of better things to do than watch Fran’s sons develop (or not).

Ice climbing. Ice fishing. Winter camping. XC skiiing. Downhill skiing..... Hell staying in and watching Lifetime movies is better than that.
Well, that's not really what I meant. Of course there are LOTS things to do instead of watching Iowa basketball. I meant if we are unhappy with Iowa basketball, how are the fans supposed to change it? Organize a revolt? Pass.

This is self defeating thinking. Who says it has to be for the 13th best player? Bring in a stud with that scholly. A one year rental would be better than wasting it on a guy who won’t play.

I would like to see Fran bring in a stud transfer. Let me know who that player is and I am on board. It is not as easy as you think it is. I have not reviewed the transfer portal to know who is available and also have no idea who Fran has spoken to from the portal. Fran feels that giving Austin Ash the scholarship is his best option at this point. You obviously disagree, but you are making an assumption that there is a stud player available for Fran to take.

There are a lot of players in the portal, but the studs are going to go where they know they can get either playing time or exposure. There may be playing time at Iowa or there may not. The exposure is going to be lower as Iowa is not a blue blood program and will more than likely not be ranked in the top 25 heading into next season. Also, there are probably two or three scholarship players who do not play this year. Does that mean their scholarships are wasted?

Reactions: mstp1992
The minute Jbo announced he was coming back, should have been the realization that our team was set. Our backcourt of Joe, Ulis, Perkins and Jbo will be pretty good.
I think Fran was set after getting Rebraca. He assumed CJ was slotted at the 2-guard. When he left, Jordan slipped in there and his team was in place.
They’ll be fine. I’m excited to see what guys like Kris, Ulis, Perkins can do with extended playing time.

I think Fran was set after getting Rebraca. He assumed CJ was slotted at the 2-guard. When he left, Jordan slipped in there and his team was in place.
They’ll be fine. I’m excited to see what guys like Kris, Ulis, Perkins can do with extended playing time.
Agree, don't know what the panic is about here all the time. Murray's, Rebraca, and Pat are gonna be a good frontcourt too. We knew without Luka it was gonna be a step back, still think this lineup is an NCAA team. Many of the really good transfers aren't looking at a school like Iowa, they are looking for a fit on the big teams first and foremost. I'm glad we got Rebraca.

Agree, don't know what the panic is about here all the time. Murray's, Rebraca, and Pat are gonna be a good frontcourt too. We knew without Luka it was gonna be a step back, still think this lineup is an NCAA team. Many of the really good transfers aren't looking at a school like Iowa, they are looking for a fit on the big teams first and foremost. I'm glad we got Rebraca.

The whole problem is that the real good players and just good players are not looking at Iowa and Fran is not looking at them. He filled the 5 spot only because he had a huge hole there. Competition is good for everyone. I don’t know how he doesn’t self evaluate his team and not come to the conclusion he needs to be more athletic and bigger in the back court at times. The reality is he is not going to recruit over Conner and I guarantee you JBo is going to play more minutes( that will take from the younger guards) than any guard he could have got in the portal. Giving Ash a scholly is giving up on that scholly. Good teams all over the country are taking multiple transfer that will help their teams . The portal being in existence will hurt Iowa while Fran is the coach

The whole problem is that the real good players and just good players are not looking at Iowa and Fran is not looking at them. He filled the 5 spot only because he had a huge hole there. Competition is good for everyone. I don’t know how he doesn’t self evaluate his team and not come to the conclusion he needs to be more athletic and bigger in the back court at times. The reality is he is not going to recruit over Conner and I guarantee you JBo is going to play more minutes( that will take from the younger guards) than any guard he could have got in the portal. Giving Ash a scholly is giving up on that scholly. Good teams all over the country are taking multiple transfer that will help their teams . The portal being in existence will hurt Iowa while Fran is the coach
A lot of good players are not interested in Iowa right now BECAUSE there would be competition at the guard spots. Many (if not most) in the portal are looking not for competing for playing time, but rather the expectation of more playing time.

lol. Really? It’s a big world filled with wonder. Plenty of better things to do than watch Fran’s sons develop (or not).

Ice climbing. Ice fishing. Winter camping. XC skiiing. Downhill skiing..... Hell staying in and watching Lifetime movies is better than that.
Throw Dr. Phil's Show in there and you have your entire winter mapped out and you won't have to feel the need to vent your spleen on this board every day. Excellent plan for your mental health!

Not to be pissy, but A lot of what you said is just inaccurate. Fran is looking at them, he's looked at several, including Robbins and Rebraca, and that was our biggest need. CJ waiting like he did, really screwed Fran over. Like some have said, it cost us valuable time to build a relationship with any of the top SG's, thus Jbo coming back. I know there is Jbo fatigue, but he'll be a good SG for us if he plays the role he spoke about. Recruiting over Connor has nothing to do with this, people just have an infatuation with having to bring him into every single conversation. He's just a role player going forward. Bringing in Carr makes little sense. We have two PG's already, what would they think at this point. I'd rather have both of them for 3/4 years, then Carr for one. On top of that, Carr wasn't interested in coming here.

Hawk fans need to understand why many of these top guys are transferring. It's to go to a much better team(Iowa is a lateral decision for most) and/or for more PT (Iowa doesn't offer that outside of center). I wouldn't want a ton of transfers like many of these schools are getting. Does anybody seriously want the situation ISU just dealt with? Now they bring in a bunch of new crappy transfers. Just because a guy transfers to a new school, doesn't mean he's gonna be a different player.

I do not think it is panic. I just think that there are certain people who are going to complain no matter what. There is also a group of people who have had enough of Fran and will disagree with everything that he does.

Not to be pissy, but A lot of what you said is just inaccurate. Fran is looking at them, he's looked at several, including Robbins and Rebraca, and that was our biggest need. CJ waiting like he did, really screwed Fran over. Like some have said, it cost us valuable time to build a relationship with any of the top SG's, thus Jbo coming back. I know there is Jbo fatigue, but he'll be a good SG for us if he plays the role he spoke about. Recruiting over Connor has nothing to do with this, people just have an infatuation with having to bring him into every single conversation. He's just a role player going forward. Bringing in Carr makes little sense. We have two PG's already, what would they think at this point. I'd rather have both of them for 3/4 years, then Carr for one. On top of that, Carr wasn't interested in coming here.
Hawk fans need to understand why many of these top guys are transferring. It's to go to a much better team(Iowa is a lateral decision for most) and/or for more PT (Iowa doesn't offer that outside of center). I wouldn't want a ton of transfers like many of these schools are getting. Does anybody seriously want the situation ISU just dealt with? Now they bring in a bunch of new crappy transfers. Just because a guy transfers to a new school, doesn't mean he's gonna be a different player.

Will crank up the passiveness even more this season. Until they win any meaningful game.

Referring to the title of the thread, I’m not understanding why some posters haven’t left too? That may be a question no one can answer?

Reactions: iahawks10
The minute Jbo announced he was coming back, should have been the realization that our team was set. Our backcourt of Joe, Ulis, Perkins and Jbo will be pretty good.

I'll put money down that we'll see Kris at the off guard spot too, don't sleep on him this coming season. Just because Fran didn't play him last year doesn't mean that he's not worthy of extended minutes this coming year.

Great post!

I am thinking look at our offense if Ash and JBo are in the game at the same time. We won’t need to set up an offense. They can both shoot as soon as they hit the half court Line.

So, given his current roster, what is he supposed to do? Recruit another half dozen players and let them battle it out with the guys already here? Then what? Just dismiss the losers? That's a new level of Creaning!

Last edited:
A lot of good players are not interested in Iowa right now BECAUSE there would be competition at the guard spots. Many (if not most) in the portal are looking not for competing for playing time, but rather the expectation of more playing time.
Good players aren't afraid of competition, period. I'm not sure who at the guard spot for Iowa would scare anyone from coming here. None of them have proved anything at all other than Bohannon as a shooter only. I can see a couple reasons why nobody would come here, and their names are Conor and Pat, and one of them should never see the floor. This team is going to be bad, and outside of Bohannon if he gets hot, who is going to score? Especially from outside. Joe T can't shoot, Patrick can't shoot, Conor has the worst shot in basketball, Murray isn't a good shooter. This team without Garza is not going to be good, even worse without Weiskamp.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Good players aren't afraid of competition, period. I'm not sure who at the guard spot for Iowa would scare anyone from coming here. None of them have proved anything at all other than Bohannon as a shooter only. I can see a couple reasons why nobody would come here, and their names are Conor and Pat, and one of them should never see the floor. This team is going to be bad, and outside of Bohannon if he gets hot, who is going to score? Especially from outside. Joe T can't shoot, Patrick can't shoot, Conor has the worst shot in basketball, Murray isn't a good shooter. This team without Garza is not going to be good, even worse without Weiskamp.
First off, it’s “Connor” not “Conor.” If you’re going to bitch about something, at least get the names correct.

Secondly, I don’t think you understand the sense of entitlement a lot of these players have. Would you rather go to a good team where you are essentially slotted into a starter’s role, or an equally good team with players in the mix already at your position?

I honestly think Fran was done after getting Rebraca. All this handwringing seems kind of silly until we see the product on the court.

If I were you, I would not even watch the games next year as you seem to have it figured out. It sounds like the whole team should have their scholarships revoked and Fran should start over through the transfer portal.

I for one am looking forward to seeing how this team develops next year. We will not have as many shooters and do not have the same inside game without Luka. While the offense will take a step back, I do believe that this team can play better team defense and should be able to get to the rim so they should still be able to put up some points.

So, given his current roster, what is he supposed to do? Recruit another half dozen player and let them battle it out with the guys already here? Then what? Just dismiss the losers? That's a new level of Creaning!
Not sure giving another portal player an available scholly qualifies as Creaning. I think some on here just wanted a little extra competition for the starting jobs - obviously there was none for the takin’ so Fran told Ash to unpack his bags. I get there are instances where the coach does not want to rock the team chemistry-I know Mark Few had this dilemma for Gonzaga, but we are light years always from their program/talent level. Also, it’s not crazy to think most portal transfers were aware Frans had two sons on his roster, so there were basically 3 available slots to crack the starting line-up. If JT, AU, and TP haven’t left yet, I highly doubt bringing in another competitive transfer would have hurt their feelings/make them move on...

Not sure giving another portal player an available scholly qualifies as Creaning. I think some on here just wanted a little extra competition for the starting jobs - obviously there was none for the takin’ so Fran told Ash to unpack his bags. I get there are instances where the coach does not want to rock the team chemistry-I know Mark Few had this dilemma for Gonzaga, but we are light years always from their program/talent level. Also, it’s not crazy to think most portal transfers were aware Frans had two sons on his roster, so there were basically 3 available slots to crack the starting line-up. If JT, AU, and TP haven’t left yet, I highly doubt bringing in another competitive transfer would have hurt their feelings/make them move on...
PMac didn't start last year. No guarantee he'd start next year. But the player coming in knows what kind of talent and drive he has, not to mention his chemistry with Joe T.

And there is no guarantee that CMac will even fit it next year. If Iowa found a good scoring guard in the portal and he liked Iowa, if he is worth it, he shouldn't be threatened by CMac unless he's afraid of competition. CMac is NOT a scoring guard.

I do not think it is panic. I just think that there are certain people who are going to complain no matter what. There is also a group of people who have had enough of Fran and will disagree with everything that he does.

You are probably correct, but the idea of giving a scholarship to a guy who basically only plays mop up duty the last couple minutes of a blowout is a head-scratcher to me.

Either Fran really does believe that next year's team can't be improved upon as it stands right now, or he is unable to land anyone else worthwhile. Giving Ash that scholarship doesn't move the needle for next year.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
You are probably correct, but the idea of giving a scholarship to a guy who basically only plays mop up duty the last couple minutes of a blowout is a head-scratcher to me.

Either Fran really does believe that next year's team can't be improved upon as it stands right now, or he is unable to land anyone else worthwhile. Giving Ash that scholarship doesn't move the needle for next year.
I think the highlighted portion is the most likely scenario. I think Fran's happy with P-Mac, Kris Murray, Payton Sandfort, Tony Perkins, covering Wieskamp's role on the team (in some combination). One scholarship is still available should Wieskamp decide to come back, otherwise he'll just plan on banking it for the 2022 class.

Edit: If a player the caliber of Bryce Thompson calls Fran and says he thinks Iowa City would be a nice place to play the rest of his college career, I'm sure Fran will find a spot for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: unoHawkeye
This year is going to tell us a lot about Iowa basketball. If it is Frans kids that are creating this weird passive aggressive attitude on the team then they only have 1 more year to play together. They certainly need to prove their worth this year. I enjoy watching Iowa play, but I get the sense that Fran wants to give guys a shot that maybe have already had a chance 1 to many times. I hope I am wrong, but those guys are usually his sons or hawkeye legacy players

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
ADVERTISEMENT