ADVERTISEMENT

Now I can see why CJF, Nunge and Weezey leaving

Maybe McCaffery thanked the returning players for being so patient last season and feels it would be a disservice to them to now bring in other players to start over them this year. Unlike so many situations in this country, perhaps within Iowa basketball, loyalty is a two way street.

I really hope Fran isn't running the Iowa basketball program like a little league team.

You are probably correct, but the idea of giving a scholarship to a guy who basically only plays mop up duty the last couple minutes of a blowout is a head-scratcher to me.

Either Fran really does believe that next year's team can't be improved upon as it stands right now, or he is unable to land anyone else worthwhile. Giving Ash that scholarship doesn't move the needle for next year.
It is done as a recognition of hard work. Would you rather he just let it sit there unused? I'm sure that would go over well with the team. There is a reason very few, if any of the former players bad mouth Fran. He is loyal. The guard rotation is set. Why bring in another to upset one or more of them? Some are acting like an All Big Ten guard is knocking down the doors to get here. If that was the case, of course. But to bring in another just to compete for playing time with the 4-5 already here is hardly intelligent.

Reactions: mstp1992
Maybe McCaffery thanked the returning players for being so patient last season and feels it would be a disservice to them to now bring in other players to start over them this year. Unlike so many situations in this country, perhaps within Iowa basketball, loyalty is a two way street.
I think this is especially true for JoeT, who had too short a leash most of last year IMO. I still wish Fran had at least made contacts with experienced perimeter players in the portal, especially combo guards who can shoot and can play both ends, and I don't really know that he didn't.

With 4 of the top players moving on (assuming Weesy is gone), this year is very uncertain, but not without promise. Rebraca was a good, very necessary addition. We will just have to wait until the fall to see how the young guys progress. It is silly to make really positive or negative predictions at this point about the team, but I am very optimistic about JoeT at PG, and the young guys we have at 3/4.

Reactions: Ronman
It is done as a recognition of hard work. Would you rather he just let it sit there unused? I'm sure that would go over well with the team. There is a reason very few, if any of the former players bad mouth Fran. He is loyal. The guard rotation is set. Why bring in another to upset one or more of them? Some are acting like an All Big Ten guard is knocking down the doors to get here. If that was the case, of course. But to bring in another just to compete for playing time with the 4-5 already here is hardly intelligent.
Let's not forget, there is still one scholarship available. While I'm quite certain Fran is comfortable with the team he has at this point, I'm confident he is still making contacts with those in the portal 'just in case.' If Bryce Thompson suddenly wants to go from Jayhawk to Hawkeye, I'm positive Fran (and the players, too) would welcome him with open arms.

Reactions: ChiPackHawk
About five minutes after Jones hit the portal I posted my wish for Fran to reach out to him. To my knowledge he never did.

Sure, Jones probably still would have chose Michigan. But I can't wrap my head around the lack of interest from Iowa. Recruit JBo and Jones to play the 2. What's the worst that could happen? Jones commits and JBo doesn't. Sure, Jones might need the ball in his hands as a 2 more than JBo. But I wouldn't have worried about that alienating JT, AU, or TP. Their minutes would have stayed about the same. And players appreciate playing with good players. Jones would have made the Hawks better defensively and a better team.

The proof will be in the pudding when Iowa plays Michigan and has to try to figure out how to defend them because JBo can't guard Jones or pretty much anyone else in the floor. So who got the better player?

I remember early in Fran's tenure an interview with then assistant coach Francis. He was questioned whether talent or need/fit was valued more by the Iowa staff. Without hesitation Francis answered, "talent". Sure, Fran probably still has PTSD from what was sure to have been an epic slap on the wrist less than six months into his tenure from the Hubbard incident. But that was a long time ago. But it was a time when a starving dog incoming staff was desperately trying to infuse athleticism. That too was a long time ago

About five minutes after Jones hit the portal I posted my wish for Fran to reach out to him. To my knowledge he never did.

Sure, Jones probably still would have chose Michigan. But I can't wrap my head around the lack of interest from Iowa. Recruit JBo and Jones to play the 2. What's the worst that could happen? Jones commits and JBo doesn't. Sure, Jones might need the ball in his hands as a 2 more than JBo. But I wouldn't have worried about that alienating JT, AU, or TP. Their minutes would have stayed about the same. And players appreciate playing with good players. Jones would have made the Hawks better defensively and a better team.

The proof will be in the pudding when Iowa plays Michigan and has to try to figure out how to defend them because JBo can't guard Jones or pretty much anyone else in the floor. So who got the better player?

I remember early in Fran's tenure an interview with then assistant coach Francis. He was questioned whether talent or need/fit was valued more by the Iowa staff. Without hesitation Francis answered, "talent". Sure, Fran probably still has PTSD from what was sure to have been an epic slap on the wrist less than six months into his tenure from the Hubbard incident. But that was a long time ago. But it was a time when a starving dog incoming staff was desperately trying to infuse athleticism. That too was a long time ago
JoBo only has one year. Jones is a PG and will have 2 years. If McC had brought in Jones I think we could have just said good bye to Joe T and/or Ahron. MI has a totally different situation as they seem to be getting a new PG every year. That could work out well for them (as it did this year) but it could backfire, too. I like Iowa's PGs in Joe T and Ahron.

IF Iowa brings another guard, I would like to see a scoring guard, 6'5' or so, who can fill that need. Iowa really needs a big guard, not another smaller combo.

PMac didn't start last year. No guarantee he'd start next year. But the player coming in knows what kind of talent and drive he has, not to mention his chemistry with Joe T.

And there is no guarantee that CMac will even fit it next year. If Iowa found a good scoring guard in the portal and he liked Iowa, if he is worth it, he shouldn't be threatened by CMac unless he's afraid of competition. CMac is NOT a scoring guard.
I was talking about next season, pretty obvious that Pmac did not start last season. I actually like his game and he progressed nicely as the season went along IMO. I was taking some liberties assuming he would start (next season mind you) given our current talent level, & I hope he does. cMAC is not a scorer period and he has some other deficiencies that I will not go into. I have never played the whole nepotism card, but its hard to ignore some times.

I will say this, when Cmac tried his ill-fated, 'fancy' pass in the tournament (forgot if it was BT or NCAA), if that would have been anyone else not named McCaffery, he would have seen the bench in a NY minute. If memory serves, said player was left in the game. ;)

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
images
Basketball Forum

Reading everyone’s comments about not wanting to upset the apple cart with bringing in transfers. I don’t get it. Other coaches just took two of our starters for next year for God’s sake. Isn’t this big boy basketball? Its’s like we are an AAU team that was organized by parents where one of the parents is the coach and he has two kids on the team and we have to make sure everyone gets playing time and is happy and we can’t let anyone new on the team that might take playing time away from current players and upset their parents. Jeez! How about we freak’n win something. Like a Big Ten Championship or a couple games in any tournament. It’s like we strive to be just Ok and all of us fans are F...ing ok with it.

Reading everyone’s comments about not wanting to upset the apple cart with bringing in transfers. I don’t get it. Other coaches just took two of our starters for next year for God’s sake. Isn’t this big boy basketball? Its’s like we are an AAU team that was organized by parents where one of the parents is the coach and he has two kids on the team and we have to make sure everyone gets playing time and is happy and we can’t let anyone new on the team that might take playing time away from current players and upset their parents. Jeez! How about we freak’n win something. Like a Big Ten Championship or a couple games in any tournament. It’s like we strive to be just Ok and all of us fans are F...ing ok with it.

You may have stated it a bit differently, but mostly my sentiments. It is not the coach's job to make guys feel protected and never recruit anyone who might be better than they are. Other teams are competing to win. Get the most good players you can. If guys don't see a path for them to the floor, there is the portal. Fran should always, always be looking for ways to improve the roster. If it means some guy is upset because they won't play as much, fine it's a free country.

In Fran's defense, I see no evidence that he isn't trying to improve the roster. He got Rebraca. He has some interesting players in the freshmen and sophomore classes. This year will be interesting to say the least.

Iowa lost 2 to the transfer portal. Nunge was expected (in my opinion). CJ, is a head scratcher, though.

In turn, Iowa got one starter of its own, and a returning starter.

I am so tired of hearing that these guys have waited patiently and it wouldn't be right to recruit over them.

If I was a player, I would expect that I would have to earn my PT and not have it handed to me. It I was butthurt that another new player might threaten to take some of my PT, then I view that as a "me" problem, but I guess I'm weird that way. Why would someone from the transfer portal be any different than any other incoming recruit? Each year brings new faces to the roster.

If I was a player, I would expect that I would have to earn my PT and not have it handed to me. It I was butthurt that another new player might threaten to take some of my PT, then I view that as a "me" problem, but I guess I'm weird that way. Why would someone from the transfer portal be any different than any other incoming recruit? Each year brings new faces to the roster.
What would be different is that someone from the transfer portal may end up taking a scholarship away from a HS player that you are trying to recruit at that position. Iowa is looking at several players in 2022 that are great prospects at PG, SG, SF and PF that we could have for the next 4 years if the scholarships are available.

What would be different is that someone from the transfer portal may end up taking a scholarship away from a HS player that you are trying to recruit at that position. Iowa is looking at several players in 2022 that are great prospects at PG, SG, SF and PF that we could have for the next 4 years if the scholarships are available.

Sure that makes sense, but I was responding to a post saying this would piss off the current roster. High school recruits are a different conversation.

Last edited:
Good luck to you building a roster in today's environment. And the scholarship to Ash was a reward - not a promise of playing time. Just how many players do you expect to stick around if they all get minimal minutes? Oh that's right - you can just blame Fran then for not knowing how to distribute minutes and even more so when they transfer out.

Finally a poster that 'gets it' - a greenhorn no less! Job well done!

Reactions: weeterkane
Why? WTF is wrong with that? Especially if they are talented and hard-working?

Because its a little league philosophy.

Bring in as much talent as possible and play the best 8-9 guys. If that causes current players to enter the portal then so be it.

People don't expect Fran to settle for 3 star kids when he recruits HS prospects. Can you imagine not pursuing a 4 or 5 star HS kid because you don't want to upset current players? No way. That is basically how Fran views the portal. Thanks but no thanks unless you fit into a role perfectly.

When I played, new players would join the team every year. Who played and how much was determined in practice. Everything was earned nothing given. Every player understood that. We had a couple returning starters get beat out one year. Players are smart. They know who is better. If someone is kicking your ass every day in practice, you shouldn’t pout if he plays before you.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
Because its a little league philosophy.

Bring in as much talent as possible and play the best 8-9 guys. If that causes current players to enter the portal then so be it.

People don't expect Fran to settle for 3 star kids when he recruits HS prospects. Can you imagine not pursuing a 4 or 5 star HS kid because you don't want to upset current players? No way. That is basically how Fran views the portal. Thanks but no thanks unless you fit into a role perfectly.
You know that's not what I am talking about. Look at the current offers to HS kids.

Transfers are unique in that you never know what you are getting personality-wise. I don't blame McC for being gunshy there.

You know that's not what I am talking about. Look at the current offers to HS kids.

Transfers are unique in that you never know what you are getting personality-wise. I don't blame McC for being gunshy there.

When you look at coaches that have embraced the portal (Self, Calipari, Few, etc.) there's really no excuse for Fran not to.

Throw Dr. Phil's Show in there and you have your entire winter mapped out and you won't have to feel the need to vent your spleen on this board every day. Excellent plan for your mental health!
Minus Dr. Phil, this is good counsel.

It will be better for most people’s mental health here too because they will hear less truth, and a little truth makes many here screech like they’ve been scalded with hot oil.

Maybe I’ll check back in when we raise yet another “Enjoyable Season” banner next April. Then again... probably not.

While I’m gone, please never forget the story of Icarus. Lil ol’ Ioway should never, ever, ever try to fly too close to the sun. Only bad, bad, terrible, no good things can happen. Herky has wax wings.

Last edited:
MinusDr. Phil, this is good counsel.

It will be better for most people’s mental health here too because they will hear less truth, and a little truth makes many here screech like they’ve been scalded with hot oil.

Maybe I’ll check back in when we raise yet another “Enjoyable Season” banner next April. Then again... probably not.

While I’m gone, please never forget the story of Icarus. Lil ol’ Ioway should never, ever, ever try to fly too close to the sun. Only bad, bad, terrible, no good things can happen. Herky has wax wings.
tenor.gif

Good luck to you building a roster in today's environment. And the scholarship to Ash was a reward - not a promise of playing time. Just how many players do you expect to stick around if they all get minimal minutes? Oh that's right - you can just blame Fran then for not knowing how to distribute minutes and even more so when they transfer out.

The best players should play. If there are guys that are getting buried on the depth chart because they aren't good enough, and end up transferring out, then so be it. It's not like Fran hasn't had that happen at Iowa in previous years. Kyle Meyer, Patrick Ingram, etc.

If the guys that were on the bench this past year are good enough to play, then they'll play. If not, then they won't. These things will work themselves out. Personally, I want Fran to get the best players he can get. Besides, I didn't necessarily say he had to get more guards. Whether it's wing players, another big man or whatever. Rather than use a scholly to reward a guy who barely plays. But I guess just as long as it's a spare scholarship and this isn't taking away an opportunity to recruit someone who could be a difference maker, then whatever.

If you want blind loyalty, then it should be a 2-way street not JUST the coaches who need to be loyal. The transfer portal is part of the game now, like it or not. Time to adapt.

Last edited:

That is what I am saying. It would be ludicrous to expect Fran not to pursue top HS talent. But he is given a pass because he chooses not to pursue top talent in the portal all in the name of guys that are already here and have waited their turn.

For all you know, he doing just that, but just not making much headway. He did snare Rebraca.

We would know if Fran reached out to more guys. I am not saying we would know everyone he has contacted but transfers are not shy about posting schools that have contacted them while in the portal.

The best players should play. If there are guys that are getting buried on the depth chart because they aren't good enough, and end up transferring out, then so be it. It's not like Fran hasn't had that happen at Iowa in previous years. Kyle Meyer, Patrick Ingram, etc.

If the guys that were on the bench this past year are good enough to play, then they'll play. If not, then they won't. These things will work themselves out. Personally, I want Fran to get the best players he can get. Besides, I didn't necessarily say he had to get more guards. Whether it's wing players, another big man or whatever. Rather than use a scholly to reward a guy who barely plays. But I guess just as long as it's a spare scholarship and this isn't taking away an opportunity to recruit someone who could be a difference maker, then whatever.

If you want blind loyalty, then it should be a 2-way street not JUST the coaches who need to be loyal. The transfer portal is part of the game now, like it or not. Time to adapt.
Oh boy - you named some real program difference makers there! And as a FYI - they have another scholarship available.

We would know if Fran reached out to more guys. I am not saying we would know everyone he has contacted but transfers are not shy about posting schools that have contacted them while in the portal.
For all we know, Fran could have reached out and all said no thanks, and that would be the end of the story.

It’s also possible that Fran is comfortable with the current roster, and felt nobody else in the portal (who was at least a reasonable chance) would improve things.

So who all has McC reached out to in the portal?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT