ADVERTISEMENT

Now that the Hawks are out...

DougERot

HR MVP
Aug 22, 2005
Back Home in Iowa
...of the DJ Carton sweepstakes, who is a PG who can come in and make the Hawks better? The local media make me laugh when they write that Connor and CJ are PG's. I've seen Connor play a dozen times and he is NOT repeat NOT a point guard. He's a good player but a PG he is not.

I agree Connor is not your stereotype point guard. But that doesn't mean he won't help us. He's a terrific passer that understands the game. I look forward to him as a Hawkeye.

Reactions: Bobhaywood
Once my sig is realized, the new AD can begin his search for a coach that kids will want to play for and who believe can take this program to the top.

Reactions: Burbank84
Not questioning frans lack of success bringing in highly talented pg. been his Achilles heel in recruiting but in same time to bash him for not bringing in some highly ranked players is a different story.
I'm mainly bashing him for 4-14 seasons and lack of making the Dance ....that is what creates a situation where an in-state 5-star prospect would rather go to another conference program over staying home and playing in the same conference.

Reactions: hawkhorn
I'm mainly bashing him for 4-14 seasons and lack of making the Dance ....that is what creates a situation where an in-state 5-star prospect would rather go to another conference program over staying home and playing in the same conference.

I agree that 4-14 hurt but I’m not sure that just making the tourney would have changed this when Michigan is making the finals.

To me there’s just not enough sizzle with this program and that goes beyond the coach. We need to do more if we want to expect more. Fran is the third coach in 20 years all of which have had recruiting issues so this tells me it’s a systemic issue not isolated to just a coach issue. Do we keep rolling the dice changing out coaches until we find the 1 guy who might get it done? What are the odds of that? If that happens we will have to immediately spend the big bucks to keep him.

This old adage of sitting back and managing every penny so tightly is not working. We have a major issue with CHA. It’s a multi-event arena that requires 16k to fill it. We can fill it but only in the best of circumstances. There’s 30 feet from the basket to the stands on each end. That’s not a setup that can get students or fans close. It is really great to watch a game there but not to create consistent energy and atmosphere. There’s no second deck to get the fans close and encase the noise. There is no graphics ribbon then either. No easy access to concessions and bathrooms. Build something for basketball that is smaller but will get people excited about something. It’s something we can win and get results. Recruits love new shinny things and the symbolism that you have a vision.

DJ sat in CHA and saw the lack of commitment not by what was said by what it represented. No risk taking, no aggressiveness, no vision.

Reactions: nu2u
Glad to see all the Iowa fans up in arms once again. I think the new athletic director will have tons of great applications for the new head coach, from this board alone. Athletic directors and head coaches are a dime a dozen who want to come to Iowa.
We all would love for our school to be great in every sport but it's highly unlikely. Take the population of Iowa and compare it to every other state with that population and it's not going to happen. It would be great to win a championship once in a while buttttttttt:( Okay, go ahead and bitch some more.

Glad to see all the Iowa fans up in arms once again. I think the new athletic director will have tons of great applications for the new head coach, from this board alone. Athletic directors and head coaches are a dime a dozen who want to come to Iowa.
We all would love for our school to be great in every sport but it's highly unlikely. Take the population of Iowa and compare it to every other state with that population and it's not going to happen. It would be great to win a championship once in a while buttttttttt:( Okay, go ahead and bitch some more.

Then take that population and have two high majors and two mid majors. One of which has had a great track record recently.

ADVERTISEMENT