ADVERTISEMENT

Now this is a great "spite local code enforcement" move

SeaPA

HR Heisman
Dec 17, 2002

Ordered to put his boat out of sight behind a 6-foot-tall fence, a Seaside resident and his artistic neighbor decided to paint a photorealistic mural of the vessel on the fence.

The idea for the little jab at City Hall was sparked a year ago when Etienne Constable received a notice from the city of Seaside requesting that he comply with a municipal code regarding parking restrictions for non-passenger vehicles, such as boats.
More at the link...but the pic pretty much tells the story

BB1maQBj.img

Ordered to put his boat out of sight behind a 6-foot-tall fence, a Seaside resident and his artistic neighbor decided to paint a photorealistic mural of the vessel on the fence.

The idea for the little jab at City Hall was sparked a year ago when Etienne Constable received a notice from the city of Seaside requesting that he comply with a municipal code regarding parking restrictions for non-passenger vehicles, such as boats.
More at the link...but the pic pretty much tells the story

BB1maQBj.img

I like this....well played.

While I realize there is some gray area between "this is my own private property, I can do what I want with it" vs. literally having old boats and crap parked all over your front lawn for every one to see, it appears in this particular case the boat was backed up into the drive between the house and the adjacent shrubbery so its not like you saw it all the way up and down the street anyway.

I side with the homeowner on this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
I like this....well played.

While I realize there is some gray area between "this is my own private property, I can do what I want with it" vs. literally have old boats and crap parked all over your front lawn for every one to see, it appears in this particular case the boat was backed up into the drive between the house and the adjacent shrubbery anyway so its not like you saw it all the way up and down the street anyway.

I side with the homeowner on this one.

I agree, between local codes and HOA's the balance seems to have gone too far towards restrictions on what people can do on their private property.

There is clearly a balance that needs maintained.

Reactions: JustSayOV
Just a little clarification - this is Seaside, CA, where this man has been parking boats long before the city adopted the current code, and not Seaside, FL, which had a covenant established before the first resident moved in.

Reactions: JustSayOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT