ADVERTISEMENT

NPR story about baseball in Cuba

lucas80

HB King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Interesting story on NPR last night about the state of baseball in Cuba. Fascinating stuff in the body of it about normalizing relations, and how that will affect baseball and Cuba. How baseball may be a bridge to start helping the US and Cuba normalize. Things like Spring Training games in Cuba, and allowing the Cuban's to put a team in the LLWS.
I have to say sitting in a ballpark in Havana or one of the regional cities and taking in a baseball game sounds like a lot of fun. I've gone to Clinton to see the Cubs low A teams. It can't be any worse.

NPR rocks

In one episode of his show No Reservations, Anthony Bourdain is in Cuba. During the episode he went to a game in Havana and went to a park where guys congregate and talk about baseball. They get rather, heated.

The link shows the park.

Baseball fans in Cuba

Originally posted by lucas80:

Interesting story on NPR last night about the state of baseball in Cuba. Fascinating stuff in the body of it about normalizing relations, and how that will affect baseball and Cuba. How baseball may be a bridge to start helping the US and Cuba normalize. Things like Spring Training games in Cuba, and allowing the Cuban's to put a team in the LLWS.
I have to say sitting in a ballpark in Havana or one of the regional cities and taking in a baseball game sounds like a lot of fun. I've gone to Clinton to see the Cubs low A teams. It can't be any worse.
I have no doubt the Castro Brothers will not give up total power in their lifetimes but if Cuba is serious, this would be a great place to start. Baby steps

Originally posted by aflachawk:

Originally posted by lucas80:

I have no doubt the Castro Brothers will not give up total power in their lifetimes but if Cuba is serious, this would be a great place to start. Baby steps
50 years of a failed policy. Nice to try something different. Fidel is mostly dead already. Raul will fall within 5 years if the US opens up relations full throttle. There is no line of succession beyond those two.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT