ADVERTISEMENT

NSIAP in the chiefs / chargers thread - did anyone else have buffering and pixelation issues?

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
I have cut the cord for years. Have watched many many many football games flawlessly. Our internet connection is very fast. Yet there were periods, especially plays where it is panned out with a lot of action that it got pixelized for a minute or two. Then it would be crispy clear, especially close ups with not a lot of movement. I would say it is a connection or hardware issue, but I have watched a ton of games before without issue. Anyone else have this? Thoughts on fixes?

I only had a few buffering spots. Based on the internet experiencing similar, I would put it back on Amazon having issues with the amount of traffic. Not much you can probably do

Reactions: Tenacious E
Only issue I noticed was that it was only in about 480p for maybe 15 seconds and then it finally got to at least 720p. After that it was fine for me.

I have cut the cord for years. Have watched many many many football games flawlessly. Our internet connection is very fast. Yet there were periods, especially plays where it is panned out with a lot of action that it got pixelized for a minute or two. Then it would be crispy clear, especially close ups with not a lot of movement. I would say it is a connection or hardware issue, but I have watched a ton of games before without issue. Anyone else have this? Thoughts on fixes?

FWIW, a couple years ago I had major buffering with Sunday Ticket streaming on a chromecast. Switched to a Firestick and it went away and it was much better, but still maybe a little choppy at times, but not bad at all. The last 2 years have been problem-free so I assume they are delivering a better product. Last night using a firestick, the video was choppy. Not unwatchable, but annoying. Switched to the TV in my bedroom that uses a Roku and it had a little bit of buffering (the spinning circle). And the sound was about 5 seconds ahead of the video. I exited and went back in a couple times and it corrected. My internet speeds are in the hundreds, so that's not the problem. I'm guessing Amazon will need to fix something on their end to make this better, but there might also be issues with users who have so many different setups.

You could just say that you have streaming cable and that it doesn't work as well as it did on coax or satellite

I don't think most people would describe having Amazon Prime as having streaming cable.

To answer the OP, I noticed more buffering than I typical YTTV experience, not exactly scientific results though.

You could just say that you have streaming cable and that it doesn't work as well as it did on coax or satellite
Why would I say that? I have different internet-based content. Prime is not cable, and Prime has never given me problems before. Furthermore, I have never had pixelation issues with other internet-based delivery systems watching football, and they have worked better than satellite 99.9% of the time. And it murders traditional cable as a product. The only true "cord cutters" are those that only watch OTA, or nothing at all. The game was not available OTA, so eff off.

I only had a few buffering spots. Based on the internet experiencing similar, I would put it back on Amazon having issues with the amount of traffic. Not much you can probably do
They are one company that should understand traffic and be able to get it right. They created/own AWS which is in itself a 1 trillion dollar company. AWS hosts a ridiculous amount of streaming service, even hosted nfl games that they produced in the past, so they should have a lot of data on optimizing streaming. Maybe it was a regional thing, I don’t know, but I’ve seen a lot of people have had at least minor complaints about something I feel like Amazon should have been amazing at. The discussion should be all about the talking heads and presentation to the users, not the issues with the streaming.

I’m sure they’ll do some tweaking before next week.

Curious if bandwidth is the difference here. Might be the interface/device one uses too.

A buddy of mine has 250g up and down (MiFiber), had zero issues. A guy I know from work has DSL at 40g down and had issues . He tested and he was getting between 40 and 40 gigs down and only his TV was using the internet at the time - had to shut down his TV a couple times to get it to work.

Why would I say that? I have different internet-based content. Prime is not cable, and Prime has never given me problems before. Furthermore, I have never had pixelation issues with other internet-based delivery systems watching football, and they have worked better than satellite 99.9% of the time. And it murders traditional cable as a product. The only true "cord cutters" are those that only watch OTA, or nothing at all. The game was not available OTA, so eff off.

Well I know you're serious because you refer to tv programming as content

Looks like your answer is in this thread per other streaming cable subscribers that your problem is in fact your cord

Curious if bandwidth is the difference here. Might be the interface/device one uses too.

A buddy of mine has 250g up and down (MiFiber), had zero issues. A guy I know from work has DSL at 40g down and had issues . He tested and he was getting between 40 and 40 gigs down and only his TV was using the internet at the time - had to shut down his TV a couple times to get it to work.

40g is enough to stream anything. You would need 10% of that to stream 1080p

Bandwidth has never been a problem before for anything. Think this was an Amazon thing.

Well I know you're serious because you refer to tv programming as content

Looks like your answer is in this thread per other streaming cable subscribers that your problem is in fact your cord
I am just trying to unmix the apples and oranges which you conflated.

Last edited:
Week 1 of CFB I had just a little bit of buffering when I first fired everything up. I freaked out and knee-jerk ordered a Mesh router system.

Its still in the box, and lately my old router with extender is working better than ever. Flawlessly, really.

Widespread problems with the game has been reported, yes.

We have highspeed internet and the game was basically in slo motion with terrible audio.

Unwatchable.

It was ONLY the game, movies on Amazon were normal.

The game looked great and like others said almost more clearer than normal. Once anyone else used the home wifi things became bogged down. I chalked it up to my own crappy wifi, but it seemed like Amazon was using much more of my WIFI signal than normal steaming. We can usually stream TV and have someone watch Youtube without much buffering.

kids today will never know the struggle we had

tenor.gif

I sure did. And I only tried to watch the last quarter. Probably would have turned it off if it was the entire game.

Frankly it pisses me off it wasn't on TV. I subscribe to Sunday ticket, I should get the game through DirecTV.

ADVERTISEMENT