ADVERTISEMENT

Nunge 1st All-State & Finalist for Indiana Mr. BB

I have long thought he would be the most productive out of this next class of 3. Looking forward to seeing him next year.

I have long thought he would be the most productive out of this next class of 3. Looking forward to seeing him next year.

Nunge will be a major asset, very skilled big man. Hard to say which player will be most productive over their careers but my bet is that Garza will have the biggest impact next year.

Garza is already built to bang under the basket, he's a very good rebounder, and has range out past 20 feet. Nunge is more athletic and runs the floor better but Iowa is lacking a big lane enforcer and Garza fits the bill at 6ft11 250.. He was recently named Washington, D.C. Player of the Year as well.

Those comparing Garza to Woodbury are missing the mark IMO. Both are good rebounders but Garza is a much better scorer around the basket and will be a 3pt scoring threat as well. The new Gaza mix tape c/o BHGP demonstrates the difference......

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/...l-recruiting-gatorade-player-of-the-year-bhgp

(info and tape on Nunge and CMcCaffery included in the article)

Last edited:
Wait, Nunge was 1st team all-state while Malik Williams was 2nd Team???
Whoa! I thought Malik Williams was going to be a stud. And Nunge is rated higher than him in Indiana?!? There is going to be 'serious' competition for minutes next year!

Nunge will be a major asset, very skilled big man. Hard to say which player will be most productive over their careers but my bet is that Garza will have the biggest impact next year.

Garza is already built to bang under the basket, he's a very good rebounder, and has range out past 20 feet. Nunge is more athletic and runs the floor better but Iowa is lacking a big lane enforcer and Garza fits the bill at 6ft11 250.. He was recently named Washington, D.C. Player of the Year as well.

Those comparing Garza to Woodbury are missing the mark IMO. Both are good rebounders but Garza is a much better scorer around the basket and will be a 3pt scoring threat as well. The new Gaza mix tape c/o BHGP demonstrates the difference......

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/...l-recruiting-gatorade-player-of-the-year-bhgp

(info and tape on Nunge and CMcCaffery included in the article)
i dont see ANY comparison between garza and woodbury . garza hands down .

Whoa! I thought Malik Williams was going to be a stud. And Nunge is rated higher than him in Indiana?!? There is going to be 'serious' competition for minutes next year!

The depth of good players in Indiana yearly is crazy. I don't think it's really a detriment to Williams, he will be a good player at Louisville. But Nunge had a very good year, and his team performed very well in the post-season. Nunge may take a year or two to be really impactful, but his skill set at his height is very intriguing.

The depth of good players in Indiana yearly is crazy. I don't think it's really a detriment to Williams, he will be a good player at Louisville. But Nunge had a very good year, and his team performed very well in the post-season. Nunge may take a year or two to be really impactful, but his skill set at his height is very intriguing.

I'm hoping Nunge gives us what Adams did for Gonzaga or Vaugner for Michigan.

Reactions: HawkinCarmel

Agree with this if you compare to players like Uthoff and White under Fran to be "really" impactful. It takes some time if we remember, maybe a year or two and Nunge has minutes to share with some other very good players at his positions.

I just saw Nunge play in the 1 game in the playoffs against Ben Davis with the loss and boy, that was enough for me to see just how good Jack is against a very quality opponent.

He just reminded me of a junior/senior player like Uthoff or White making plays on both ends always around the ball attacking the glass being the best player on the floor also the biggest player too.

He is just a great talent and really glad he is a Hawk.

i dont see ANY comparison between garza and woodbury . garza hands down .
I think they both move similarly, but yeah, that's about it. Garza is much more developed now offensively than Woodbury was even as a college senior. I'm just hoping Garza has Woodbury's defensive instincts. Not trying to knock Woodbury because he was greatly underappreciated at Iowa, but hard to figure out how he was a top 50 recruit and Garza isn't even top 100.

Agree with this if you compare to players like Uthoff and White under Fran to be "really" impactful. It takes some time if we remember, maybe a year or two and Nunge has minutes to share with some other very good players at his positions.

I just saw Nunge play in the 1 game in the playoffs against Ben Davis with the loss and boy, that was enough for me to see just how good Jack is against a very quality opponent.

He just reminded me of a junior/senior player like Uthoff or White making plays on both ends always around the ball attacking the glass being the best player on the floor also the biggest player too.

He is just a great talent and really glad he is a Hawk.

Agree, and just want to caution people that Nunge is likely not a double-figure scorer right out the gate at Iowa and it won't mean "OH he sucks and he's terrible" that some fans will say. He's not a physically dominating player, and it can take a year or two for him to adjust to the college game. And the fact that there are lots of players already in the position(s) he will play at Iowa. A tall guy who can shoot, pass and dribble and understands how to play is a great starter set for a good player.

Outside of injuries,I think it takes a year of league play to get your feet wet. First year is learning the system, playing road games, physical and mental demands of the B1G. Then the player can work on improving his game and really becoming an impact on their team and in the league.

Reactions: perryhawk
Yeah, I really don't consider Nunge being rated higher than Williams a "detriment" to Williams. I know Williams is a freak of a basketball player. But it does make me look again at Nunge's clips. I know he'll be a freshman, but it's hard to see him not getting significant minutes, certainly by the end of the year. Given our roster, I'm thinking he'll back up Baer. His athletic length and shotblocking might allow that. Hawk-I Bob, did I read somewhere that you were thinking he might actually start?

A few extra things to go with many good comments from others.

One thing that excites me is that Nunge has put on some good weight in the last year. I think I read somewhere something like 20 pounds? Very important, fortuitous, and his prior size could be a reason he didn't get that fourth star. Also, can anyone confirm he's 6'10" or better now?

I'm baffled as to his natural position. Would seem to be a stretch four. But as with others I only watched the one game, and just when I'd concluded he wasn't mobile enough, or skilled with ball handling enough, to play a wing, he made some moves to the basketball that I would say sufficed. That part of his game didn't overwhelm me, but I went from a negative impression to a neutral, want to see more, mindset.

Then there is the Baer like ability to be where the ball will come off the rim. That to me is as exciting as his ability to hit the three. I think we have an offensive rebounder here.

And I agree wholeheartedly, no pressure. If this were prior 2013/14, all three of the soon to be freshmen would be under pressure to perform immediately. Much nicer that we have options with more experience. But at the same time, I'm not counting any of the three out from breaking into a top nine type situation, or even better. It's a win/win, competition and mentoring in practice should be outstanding.

Several comments on Garza. First, he certainly likes to hang on the rim! I am surprised he hasn't been called for it. Second, I think all the blocked shots were against guys a foot shorter than he is. Third, he does have a nice outside shot and moves to the basket.

Several comments on Garza. First, he certainly likes to hang on the rim! I am surprised he hasn't been called for it. Second, I think all the blocked shots were against guys a foot shorter than he is. Third, he does have a nice outside shot and moves to the basket.

Between the two, I think Nunge is a more agile shot blocker as well. The main concern I have with Garza (typical of almost all freshman) is foul trouble.

Next year will be extremely exciting to see the chemistry come together. The whole dynamic will be different with Peter Jok gone. There is going to be a lot of competition next year for playing time. For the freshmen, I think early playing time will come down too who picks up the defensive assignments.

Reactions: perryhawk and nu2u
I think they both move similarly, but yeah, that's about it. Garza is much more developed now offensively than Woodbury was even as a college senior. I'm just hoping Garza has Woodbury's defensive instincts. Not trying to knock Woodbury because he was greatly underappreciated at Iowa, but hard to figure out how he was a top 50 recruit and Garza isn't even top 100.
woody ranks as one of the most disappointing players of all times .

I have to cast an opposing vote on that one. He's one of the better basket players we've ever had, minus the ball part. I'm sure some will understand that, some won't.
Agree. The guy was a 4 year starter, led us to 3 NCAA appearances and brought Iowa basketball back to respectability. A great defender, rebounder and teammate. Too many people got distracted by his height and high ranking as a recruit.

I think Fran actually got a STEAL in Nunge. Reading what opposing coaches say about him, I guess he has a motor that doesn't stop. He is also a match-up nightmare because of his ability to step back and hit the outside jumper.

Now there will be an adjustment period for him. His defense and just overall transition to the college game will take a while. I think if the minutes are not there, Fran should consider redshirting one of the incoming freshman. I don't know which one, but I think it would do them some good. We are returning something like 80%+ min played for next year. Do we really need to waste a year on one of these guys if they are only going to play 80 total minutes all season??

Reactions: HawkinCarmel
I have to cast an opposing vote on that one. He's one of the better basket players we've ever had, minus the ball part. I'm sure some will understand that, some won't.

:eek:

Career averages not shooting the ball:
reb - 5.5
ast - 0.8
stl - 0.5
blk - 0.3
win shares - 2.25

Pemsl's win shares were 2.4 last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: papabeef
I've said it before, I think Nunge will be the best player out of this class. I've watched a couple of his games and he can do a little of everything. I personally think he should be a stretch 4 because he'll be a matchup nightmare there. But we're so weak at the 3 position, he'll probably play some of that. He still lacks footspeed to stay in front of quicker guys on the perimeter as seen in his last game. That's something that won't be exploited as much if he's a stretch 4.

Based on the way we recruit, it certainly seems like Fran is heading towards a UNC style of play. He's always wanted to push the pace, and he seems more able to recruit forwards and centers than guards. Hopefully he can round things out nicely and better balance the classes to provide more stability, but I think it is clear we're on an overall upward trajectory.

If we can continue to increase the talent level, and get more shot blocking out of our forwards, we could be a scary team to play. I can envision lineups with 3 players 6'9'' or taller, able to clog the lane, with 4 players being able to shoot the 3 on offense. With the size we're getting, I think our rebounding will improve, too which will help avoid the draughts that Fran's teams have encountered in the past.

Nunge certainly seems to fit into that style pretty well if that is truly where Fran envisions the program headed. In fact, as others have mentioned, I think Nunge would fit into a lot of systems and will develop into a great addition with his flexibility on offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT