ADVERTISEMENT

Nunge article in Press-Citizen

I get your point, but on the other hand youre questioning one of the most successful coaches in b10 history.

Bo built that program and took it to a final 4 by utilizing redshirts frequently.

To condtradict myself, they may not have lost Uthoff if they didnt redshirt him though.

Didn't someone say that same thing about Happ, when he redshirted a year or two ago?

This may be a stretch and maybe not the best analogy, but if you are going to have surgery, should you demand that the surgeon be away from his profession for a year before you have the operation?

The kid is good. Play him!

Reactions: hawk-i bob
This may be a stretch and maybe not the best analogy, but if you are going to have surgery, should you demand that the surgeon be away from his profession for a year before you have the operation?

The kid is good. Play him!

Heres another analogy, just for fun. Invest a $100 in something now, get $1000 back 4 years later. In my mind thats the difference in the effective level of contribution this year vs year 5.

If either one is able to surpass the guys in front of them then play them but don't waste a year of eligibility on less than 5 minutes a game.

Reactions: NI hawk
Heres another analogy, just for fun. Invest a $100 in something now, get $1000 back 4 years later. In my mind thats the difference in the effective level of contribution this year vs year 5.

If either one is able to surpass the guys in front of them then play them but don't waste a year of eligibility on less than 5 minutes a game.

Maybe get $1,000 back. Which I why I said I defer to Fran on this kind of thing.

Reactions: kceasthawk

There certainly is merit to a redshirt for 'some' guys. It certainly helped Baer...course that was a little different in that he was a walkon...there wasnt much debate because no one (except Nicholas) knew he was about to do what he has done. While he will always be one of those thinner guys he did gain a little weight more so strength. So the RS helped him.

Im with Dan in deferring to Fran & the player...but for the sake of discussion IMO I believe both Nunge & Garza can help us win now simply because of their skills & size now. Even if its 10+.

Dailey Disclaimer...it was Maishe's choice not to RS..he made it. Just like its Connor McCaffery's.
Just like it would be Nunge's or Garza's choice not to. I don't think they decided to come to Iowa to sit around for a year.

There certainly is merit to a redshirt for 'some' guys. It certainly helped Baer...course that was a little different in that he was a walkon...there wasnt much debate because no one (except Nicholas) knew he was about to do what he has done. While he will always be one of those thinner guys he did gain a little weight more so strength. So the RS helped him.

Im with Dan in deferring to Fran & the player...but for the sake of discussion IMO I believe both Nunge & Garza can help us win now simply because of their skills & size now. Even if its 10+.

Dailey Disclaimer...it was Maishe's choice not to RS..he made it. Just like its Connor McCaffery's.
Just like it would be Nunge's or Garza's choice not to. I don't think they decided to come to Iowa to sit around for a year.

Yup, we're certainly all playing around here with the same point. Play 'em if they can help. Redshirt them if they are talented enough to deserve five years and if they agree to it.

I really think we have more here with these two big, mobile kids than we are used to with freshmen. My guess... guess... is that they are a big part of the rotation.

Between Kriener, Uhl, Wagner, Pemsl, Nunge and Garza, it is likely somebody gets an illness or a nagging injury. If that is the case then I would expect a redshirt for that player. But other than that, I doubt Fran redshirts any of these guys.

I really think we have more here with these two big, mobile kids than we are used to with freshmen. My guess... guess... is that they are a big part of the rotation.

We also have a roster packed with guys at the same positions.

Between Kriener, Uhl, Wagner, Pemsl, Nunge and Garza
Is this finally the year Dom plays to his potential? If Fran deems not, then give his minutes to Nunge. Giving Nunge and Garza the benefit of the "He's a freshman" doubt, the only weak link I see here is still Uhl.

The debate here is between arguably more well-rounded talent, that has length and rim protecting abilities that Fran notes we don't have enough of on the returning roster. This vs returning experience that also can make valuable contributions. That's a lot of players with only so many minutes. It's a good problem to have, one indicative of a rising program. Fran, always looking to the upside, expect Garza and Nunge to produce. If they do, they fill skill holes that will get them significant minutes.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
We also have a roster packed with guys at the same positions.
I understand your argument RR, but are the returning players the best option going forward. It remains to be seen what Garza and Nunge do when they get on campus. My thoughts have been base on what information is available on the two, that their skills will warrant them playing significant minutes in place of Wagner and Uhl. I'll be as frustrated as anyone if he plays the two frosh 3 or 4 minutes a game. Either their good enough to subplant the upperclassmen, or their not. If thats the case, then redshirt them. I think Fran has built the roster to the point where, non producers won't be getting minutes, but we'll see what happens come Nov.

I'm confident that Uhl and Wagner will get passed by the Frosh and Garza may pass Kreiner too. I expect Kreiner to make a huge improvement this off season. That doesn't mean that Uhl and Wagner won't make a significant contribution as they will be valuable early in the season until the freshmen fit in and two thirds thru the season when freshmen normally hit the freshman wall and need a rest. The ceiling for Garza and Nunge's skills are much higher than Uhl & Wagner.
Cook and Moss in particular are really going to have to step up their game for Iowa to be in the top 4 of the conference and the rebounding and defense is going to have to greatly improve.
Oh, I wish Fran would quit hedging his big men 25 feet from the basket and double teaming in a zone leaving guys wide open for threes. I'm done, carry on.

To expect two Freshmen to consistently outplay Uhl and Wagner is maybe a little too optimistic. I think that with time, Nunge and Garza will be great players for the University, but they also need time at this level to learn how to be consistent. Sure they'll have moments where they flash great potential, but that will be followed by stretches of silly mistakes and poor defensive positioning. The most to ask from them right now is 5-10 good minutes where they rebound well, play good defense, and learn to develop their unique skill sets. Until then, I trust Wagner and Uhl just as much/more at rebounding and bringing energy than I would either one of the incoming freshman.

So to expect them to be displacing a senior and junior might be a little too much, which is why I would not be opposed to redshirting either one of them. I expect by their junior years they will be very good players, and with a future lineup when Cook is a senior of Garza, Cook, Nunge, Weiskamp, and Bohannon, I can't help but feel very very excited about the trajectory of the program. This will be the Renaissance of Iowa Basketball.

Reactions: RocknRollface
To expect two Freshmen to consistently outplay Uhl and Wagner is maybe a little too optimistic. I think that with time, Nunge and Garza will be great players for the University, but they also need time at this level to learn how to be consistent. Sure they'll have moments where they flash great potential, but that will be followed by stretches of silly mistakes and poor defensive positioning. The most to ask from them right now is 5-10 good minutes where they rebound well, play good defense, and learn to develop their unique skill sets. Until then, I trust Wagner and Uhl just as much/more at rebounding and bringing energy than I would either one of the incoming freshman.

So to expect them to be displacing a senior and junior might be a little too much, which is why I would not be opposed to redshirting either one of them. I expect by their junior years they will be very good players, and with a future lineup when Cook is a senior of Garza, Cook, Nunge, Weiskamp, and Bohannon, I can't help but feel very very excited about the trajectory of the program. This will be the Renaissance of Iowa Basketball.
Maybe your correct, and Wagner and Uhl will hold their places in the rotation. Just think they've had 3 or four years to show what they have ,and don't anticipate any major improvement by either. Again, this is not meant as a deragatory statement on either guy, but they are too limited. Wagner does certainly bring energy, and perhaps that maintains him some playing time, but his skill set is so limited. He is a hard working guy who is undersized as a banger, and not skilled enough to play anywhere else at this level. Uhl does not have the drive or confidence to succeed in the BIG consistantly. At least it surely doesn't appear that way after several years. Again if the two frosh don't earn time in the regular rotation then I wouldn't play them at all. The point is Fran will almost have to play them early in the year to find that out, so their going to play.

Maybe your correct, and Wagner and Uhl will hold their places in the rotation. Just think they've had 3 or four years to show what they have ,and don't anticipate any major improvement by either. Again, this is not meant as a deragatory statement on either guy, but they are too limited. Wagner does certainly bring energy, and perhaps that maintains him some playing time, but his skill set is so limited. He is a hard working guy who is undersized as a banger, and not skilled enough to play anywhere else at this level. Uhl does not have the drive or confidence to succeed in the BIG consistantly. At least it surely doesn't appear that way after several years. Again if the two frosh don't earn time in the regular rotation then I wouldn't play them at all. The point is Fran will almost have to play them early in the year to find that out, so their going to play.

How many games do they get on the overseas thing, and do the true fresh get to go?

That could help sort some things out.

How many games do they get on the overseas thing, and do the true fresh get to go?

That could help sort some things out.
I believe they do, but I'm not positive. Your right though that will give Fran some extra time to see how they fit into the group. Hopefully Cordell will be 100% by then as well.

Reactions: RocknRollface
going to throw one more ring into the fire...today we know we have zero transfers. We also know classes do not start til after the August trip. In todays environment what we know is we dont know....today we know we have a full ride roster.

I believe they do, but I'm not positive. Your right though that will give Fran some extra time to see how they fit into the group. Hopefully Cordell will be 100% by then as well.

CPs injury could change things too but it sounds like hes excpected to be ok sooner than latter.

Uhl does not have the drive or confidence to succeed in the BIG consistantly. At least it surely doesn't appear that way after several years. Again if the two frosh don't earn time in the regular rotation then I wouldn't play them at all. The point is Fran will almost have to play them early in the year to find that out, so their going to play.
Nunge and Garza will play in the PTL, right? Let's see how they do (and I'm not saying the PTL is the best barometer), and then we can get Fran's perspective. After watching Dom for so long now, I have no reason to suspect he will step up the way I wish he would. At times he looked confused and exasperated during play. And, he too, did have "flashes" of great play now and then. Let's see how Fran breaks it down after the PTL.

Nunge and Garza will play in the PTL, right? Let's see how they do (and I'm not saying the PTL is the best barometer), and then we can get Fran's perspective. After watching Dom for so long now, I have no reason to suspect he will step up the way I wish he would. At times he looked confused and exasperated during play. And, he too, did have "flashes" of great play now and then. Let's see how Fran breaks it down after the PTL.
IF there's a redshirt, I wouldn't expect it to be decided until the fall. There's an exhibition trip to Europe and fall practice that will be more important to the RS question. PTL introduces fans to players and players to each other during summer coaching. Agree that we can see enough during the PTL to speculate, but certainly not determine, how a career might unfold.

IF there's a redshirt, I wouldn't expect it to be decided until the fall. There's an exhibition trip to Europe and fall practice that will be more important to the RS question. PTL introduces fans to players and players to each other during summer coaching. Agree that we can see enough during the PTL to speculate, but certainly not determine, how a career might unfold.

They are also doing weight training and who knows what else during the summer. And undoubtedly some bigs will want to test their long distance shooting skills, leaving them playing differently than they would under Fran's watch. In fact much of it is different than under Fran's watch.

The PTL is fun and there are things that can be scouted. It rests on an island between the shores of predicting anything will certainty and having nothing at all to go by.

Things I've spotted that turned out true:

Baer had a weird knack for being where the ball would come off for a rebound.
Bohannon has iced his concern he might miss to the point it is frozen shut.

Things I've spotted that were wrong:

Too many to count.

They are also doing weight training and who knows what else during the summer. And undoubtedly some bigs will want to test their long distance shooting skills, leaving them playing differently than they would under Fran's watch. In fact much of it is different than under Fran's watch.

The PTL is fun and there are things that can be scouted. It rests on an island between the shores of predicting anything will certainty and having nothing at all to go by.

Things I've spotted that turned out true:

Baer had a weird knack for being where the ball would come off for a rebound.
Bohannon has iced his concern he might miss to the point it is frozen shut.

Things I've spotted that were wrong:

Too many to count.
"Bohannon has iced his concern he might miss to the point it is frozen shut."
Interested to see what you meant to say in this line before autocorrect Dan. It sounds like a secret spy code.

Reactions: Ree4 and hawk-i bob
"Bohannon has iced his concern he might miss to the point it is frozen shut."
Interested to see what you meant to say in this line before autocorrect Dan. It sounds like a secret spy code.

I meant that watching him in the PTL last year, it was clear to me he believes every shot he takes is going down. And that's well past the point of a hot and cold shooter who may freeze up after a few misses. Bohannon always believes he'll make the next one.

Is this finally the year Dom plays to his potential? If Fran deems not, then give his minutes to Nunge. Giving Nunge and Garza the benefit of the "He's a freshman" doubt, the only weak link I see here is still Uhl.
I agree.

This is a non-sequitor. I have no idea what you mean nor how it's related to what I said. Jordan Bohannon came into a position that had little to no competition. He was expected to at least be a backup.
First of all, the correct spelling is Non Sequitur. "A conclusion or statement that does not logically follow from the previous argument or statement." It's just that I disagree with you about redshirting good players. You'll be ok. Have a nice day. :)

First of all, the correct spelling is Non Sequitur. "A conclusion or statement that does not logically follow from the previous argument or statement." It's just that I disagree with you about redshirting good players. You'll be ok. Have a nice day. :)

You really put me in my place with that message board come back. The quotes around the definition tell me you had to look it up to understand what it was.

Please comment to the content of the original posts and keep your insecurity off the board.

Theres other factors, specifically available playing time.

Nunge would be valuable in the post, as we gave up the baseline way too much last season That will improve this coming season. Nunge and Garza are aggressive players and they will shore up down low.

I would hate to see either of those players redshirt because they are ballers. Too bad Dom is on another plane when it comes to aggression.

You are correct when you said that I must have looked it up lol. Being in my mid 60's, I occasionally learn a few new words. But, if I extrapolate a bit, I will probably learn more. Take care. :cool:

Between Kriener, Uhl, Wagner, Pemsl, Nunge and Garza, it is likely somebody gets an illness or a nagging injury. If that is the case then I would expect a redshirt for that player. But other than that, I doubt Fran redshirts any of these guys.

This is how I see it. I've talked to Fran a number of times and he sees the log jam w/ the bigs as a very good thing. He just says the guys that deserve it, will get the playing time. So in other words, it will work itself out.

I think most of this is accurate except I don't believe that Nunge or Garza will redshirt unless they get injured. Fran has said repeatedly that they are both going to play and play this year. Dom will see good spot duty this year but I think we've seen his upside. Wagner gives good effort and good energy. He can still show us some more improvement. This will be a fun year and I anticipate an NCAA bid.

Reactions: unclesammy

I agree 100% that most freshman lack consistency, when it comes to high level play, but Wagner and Uhl have both lacked productivity thus far. I could see keeping Wagner/ and or Uhl in the rotation, if they excel on either offense or defense. So far that hasn't been the case. Their scoring and rebounding numbers have been mediocre, and they were part of an average defensive team last year. If Garza and Nunge give us more offensive punch and respectable defense, I could see them passing Uhl and probably Wagner (although I still have hope Wagner will start to put up better scoring and rebounding numbers).

The only question I have on Nunge is will he be physically ready? He was supposedly 185 when he committed, but the signing info at Hawkeye Sports listed him at 220. If he's White sized (as a freshman) I don't think he'd need to sit a year, but if he's closer to the freshman Uthoff he'd probably better off giving himself a 5th year.

ADVERTISEMENT