ADVERTISEMENT

NW game looms

hawkjt

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2004
large for both teams tomorrow nite.
NW has won 3 in a row coming out of their covid break.
They are brimming with confidence as they now sit in 2nd place all alone.
Hawks will be playing on 1 day rest vs 2 for NW.....lucky break for cats.
Hawks cannot afford to stub their toe at home again after the wisky game and with Illini coming to town on Sat.
NW plays slowball and defends well so Hawks need to value each possession.
C'mon Hawks ..beat those Cats!!

large for both teams tomorrow nite.
NW has won 3 in a row coming out of their covid break.
They are brimming with confidence as they now sit in 2nd place all alone.
Hawks will be playing on 1 day rest vs 2 for NW.....lucky break for cats.
Hawks cannot afford to stub their toe at home again after the wisky game and with Illini coming to town on Sat.
NW plays slowball and defends well so Hawks need to value each possession.
C'mon Hawks ..beat those Cats!!
Huge game. I like that we just played a team in Rutgers with a similar style. Hope the perimeter shots are falling and the good guys can help create some energy in Carver.
Go Hawks

Meh. The way this season is going I'd rather take on a team due for a loss vs. one due for a win. BTW jut scored some really good tickets yesterday. Even before the reschedule, attendance for this was looking pretty low. As of yesterday you could actually get single digit row tickets through the university at face value, and even better buys on stub hub. Great game to take a family to on the cheap if anyone is thinking about it last minute.

I actually think NW's record is a bit noisy--they've played the second easiest Big Ten schedule so far according to Torvik. Just come out and control the tempo like we did on Sunday. If Roper is out again, they have essentially no backup guards so getting Ahron and Perkins going to the rim to try to pick up some fouls would be smart. Incredibly thin team--their starting back court usually plays 35+ minutes a night.

I actually think NW's record is a bit noisy--they've played the second easiest Big Ten schedule so far according to Torvik. Just come out and control the tempo like we did on Sunday. If Roper is out again, they have essentially no backup guards so getting Ahron and Perkins going to the rim to try to pick up some fouls would be smart. Incredibly thin team--their starting back court usually plays 35+ minutes a night.
I agree with all of this, though I worry about a game like the one where Bohannon hit that wild three to win it (which also required a big come back down 10+ late). But screw that negativity, Hawks by a million!

My biggest concern about this game is that it starts at 9pm EST. That's almost my bedtime. WTF?

Rami Malek Reaction GIF

Ulis guarding Buie is a big matchup. Hope Fran gets Dix some minutes and doesn’t forget him again. I feel good about this game for reasons stated by others above.
NW relies a lot on their experienced guards controlling tempo, and scoring, and they have done that very well, despite not shooting a great field goal %. NW is very good at FTs, except their big man.

I agree that the guard match up will be critical. I like Ulis guarding Buie. Perkins needs to have a good one in this game, and it seems like he has struggled against bigger guards like Audige lately. If he doesn't get it going, we need Dix to do what he has been doing the past few weeks.

Pretty amazing that NW basically lost their starting front court to transfers, and somehow got better. We need to beat them up inside, and this should be a good opportunity for Kris and Rebraca.

Last edited:
They didn't get better,.. Without the (2) transfers they would be closer to leading the Big10...
Also lost a key front court player to IU the year before. I guess we will see if they are better tonight. I think their guards have been better, which you expect from seniors. I also think it gives the players a clearer understanding of their roles, which seems to have helped them win, especially in closer games. Like I said, if our guards play OK against NW's guards, I think we have a clear advantage in the frontcourt, which we need to take advantage of.

Ulis has been playing well, except at the line. We have key player missing games with anxiety. A good point guard that drops threes but misses like 5 in a row at the line. I think this team needs to eat some gummies before the games.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Ulis has been playing well, except at the line. We have key player missing games with anxiety. A good point guard that drops threes but misses like 5 in a row at the line. I think this team needs to eat some gummies before the games.
He seemed to be hitting his free throws against Rutgers so hopefully he does that and no repeat of the Michigan State game. Turnovers too. And defense!

ADVERTISEMENT