ADVERTISEMENT

O’Keefe stepping down as Iowa Quarterbacks Coach

Good luck to KOK. As for his replacement … I have zero idea of who Kirk may look at. Honestly, I don’t think it will matter much other than if the person is a good recruiter. This is still Kirk/Brian’s offense.

Good luck to KOK. As for his replacement … I have zero idea of who Kirk may look at. Honestly, I don’t think it will matter much other than if the person is a good recruiter. This is still Kirk/Brian’s offense.
Yeah, all this position is is someone who can teach the QBs the offense and recruit.

Reactions: Section25

You get to a point with positions of authority where it's a potential upgrade simply to move the old guy out and replace him with a younger person who brings enthusiasm,.. This is a step in the right direction.

Seems like it would be a dicey situation bringing in Petras's QB coach. If Petras ends up starting it is just going to look like he was playing favorites.
Yeah that's probably true, we don't need to add any more fuel to the fire re: the offense and QB, we have more than enough. Now, if Tony WAS interested and hired and either Padilla or Labas wins the job, then perhaps it could work. I just think a young, talented QB coach who relates well to players and has some recruiting ties would be nice. That said you know how this works, 51% of the board won't be happy with the hire...:)

Reactions: iowaflash
Except he has coached QBs and he was a QB.
2008–2009UCLA (Coaching intern)
2010–2012Iowa (GA)
2013Texas Tech (Asst. QB/Outside receivers)
2014–2015Green Bay Packers(Coaching administrator)
2016Green Bay Packers (Asst. OL)
2017Green Bay Packers (Offensive perimeter)
2018Green Bay Packers (WR)
2019–2020Arizona Cardinals (WR)
2021Vanderbilt (OC/WR)

He might have coached QBs for one season. Nearly all of his work has been with WRs. If we are looking for a former QB why not kelton Copeland?

Reactions: BBHawk
Raih would be a good hire, but not as the long term quarterbacks coach.

My money says the new QB coach will be whichever candidate says this in their interview:

“Kirk, I’ll only coach the QB’s the way you want. If you want me to teach the QB’s the Macarena, I’ll teach them the Macarena. If you want me to teach them to stare at one guy 5 yds away while playing chess, I’ll team them to stare at one guy 5 yds away while playing chess. You need me to make cement shoes? I can make cement shoes.

Also, I wrote the fuggin’ book on pooch punting!”

^^^ that guy gets the job.

2008–2009UCLA (Coaching intern)
2010–2012Iowa (GA)
2013Texas Tech (Asst. QB/Outside receivers)
2014–2015Green Bay Packers(Coaching administrator)
2016Green Bay Packers (Asst. OL)
2017Green Bay Packers (Offensive perimeter)
2018Green Bay Packers (WR)
2019–2020Arizona Cardinals (WR)
2021Vanderbilt (OC/WR)

He might have coached QBs for one season. Nearly all of his work has been with WRs. If we are looking for a former QB why not kelton Copeland?
Was Kelton Copeland a QB? Did he assist Rick Neuheisel in coaching QBs? Did he assist Kingsubry in coaching QBs?

Was Kelton Copeland a QB? Did he assist Rick Neuheisel in coaching QBs? Did he assist Kingsubry in coaching QBs?
Copeland was a qb and the last time Raih might have worked with a qb was nearly 10 years ago. It was probably very little work since he was not even full time at that position.

lol Brian is like Teflon.

Iowa, known as OLine U, struggles at OL for the first time in the Ferentz era with Brian as OL coach. Brian gets promoted and Kirk doubles his pay.

National racism/bullying scandal with multiple accusers directly implicating Brian. Ferentz fires the nation's most well respected and highest paid strength coach. Brian gets no discipline at all and receives a raise.

Offense absolutely sputters to one of the worst in the Ferentz era, ranking 124th nationally, sparked some incredibly bad play calling. QBs coach resigns. Brian gets another raise.

Failing upward never hit a team so hard.
What sort of revisionist history is this?

Arguably among Iowa's worst OL years were in '03 and '07 ... both years Morgan was the position coach. However, given what a fabulous teacher he is ... that immediately illustrates that the struggles weren't entirely attributable to the coaching!

Brian's first year as OL-coach was in '12 ... obviously a bad year. However, part of what fed into that "badness" was that we had just lost quality starters like Reiff, Gettis, and Zusevics after the '11 season ... and right at the start of the conference slate BOTH Scherff and Donnal go down to injury! On top off all the personnel turmoil ... everyone on the staff was stuck learning Greg Davis's lingo.

Immediately following the '12 season ... Brian got put in charge of being the run-game coordinator ... and our running game immediately took off. Was that attributable to Brian ... or do to the fact that we had guys like Scherff and Blythe? All the same ... Brian helped to develop those guys ... and they're both still playing in the league.

Similarly, the Iowa OL had just come off of winning the Joe Moore award after 2016 ... and it was immediately following that when Brian got promoted.

What I know and understand about Brian ... he can definitely be a cocky dick ... but the guy knows football.

Surely he was influenced by Chris Doyle ... and he may have modelled some of his bad behaviors after Chris. However, while both guys might be dicks ... anybody who knows them can also categorically attest that the dudes aren't racist. Of course, even if you're not racist ... we're all capable of doing discriminatory things. That's why being proactive about communication and being reflective of our own behaviors (rather than irrationally defensive) is arguably the best way to curtail "bad" practices/behaviors.

Should Brian have been fired too? Particularly when everything was preventable had there been a better system for players to supply feedback and share their concerns to Kirk and the athletic department? Hell ... had things been nipped in the bud from the outset ... Doyle wouldn't even have had to have been fired. Doyle could have just corrected/adjusted his behavior to be more considerate to the players ... and this all would be moot.

So the question is ... did the Iowa program need to have TWO sacrificial lambs ... or would ONE suffice? Had the problems with Brian been chronic, systemic, and not preventable (and not influenced by Chris) ... then sure, I'd strongly argue that he should be fired too. However, that simply does NOT seem to be the case.

I'm no ardent supporter of Brian ... due to my perception of him being an asshole ... I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him leave. However, in Brian, I also see a guy who truly understands football ... and he's had far more successes than folks give him credit for.

Practicing revisionist history irks me to no end.

Had Brian's coaching prowess merited his demotion ... I'd be one of the first to indicate so. However, given the context of some of our Os (personnel issues, injuries, etc) ... and the fact that sometimes the opposing D just plays better ... I'm apparently not seeing the same smoking gun that some of y'all are.

As for O'Keefe stepping down ... Ken is an excellent coach and he's been a valuable contributor and resource for our program. However, I see this as an opportunity ... so I'll be very curious to see how things play out.

Last edited:
No doubt Ferentz has a pretty good idea about who will fill this role. They did not wake up yesterday and decide a change needs to be made. They will go through the hiring process required by state law, but the new person will be on board as soon as legally possible. It will be nice t have some new blood on the staff, but I do not expect dramatic differences in approach.

Copeland was a qb and the last time Raih might have worked with a qb was nearly 10 years ago. It was probably very little work since he was not even full time at that position.
Well, then I would have no problem with it.

Kelton was a former QB. When I first learned of Ken's departure ... that was my first thought. However, the problem with that is two-fold ... one, I still love how he's been building our WR-room and two, might that NOT potentially be a demotion? It may not be though ... particularly given that we expect our QB coach to train the guys in the room to be "coaches on the field."

While it helps to have the QB-coach be a former QB ... just as important is that the guy knows how to teach it to the guys in the room. Furthermore, the guy needs to be able to mesh well with the rest of the staff and understand the working of our style of O. A big part of the position will be to build the football IQ of the guys in the room ... get them to understand our schemes and to be able to not only read the D ... but understand what the D is attempting to accomplish (and how they'll attempt to accomplish it).

Kelton was a former QB. When I first learned of Ken's departure ... that was my first thought. However, the problem with that is two-fold ... one, I still love how he's been building our WR-room and two, might that NOT potentially be a demotion? It may not be though ... particularly given that we expect our QB coach to train the guys in the room to be "coaches on the field."

While it helps to have the QB-coach be a former QB ... just as important is that the guy knows how to teach it to the guys in the room. Furthermore, the guy needs to be able to mesh well with the rest of the staff and understand the working of our style of O. A big part of the position will be to build the football IQ of the guys in the room ... get them to understand our schemes and to be able to not only read the D ... but understand what the D is attempting to accomplish (and how they'll attempt to accomplish it).
Yeah it would be hard to move him away from WR.

1. He's "stepping down" but Iowa will honor his contract? I have a hard time believing this. If he left on his own Iowa is doing something I've never seen in my professional career; maybe it happens in sports and I've just missed it.

2. Why does it state "Moon family head football coach Kirk Ferentz" and not Iowa head football coach Kirk Ferentz? Are we now the Moon Family Hawkeyes?
Moon Family sponsors Kirk and helps to pay his salary. They expect X number of mentions in media exposure in return. This was put out by the P.R. department.

He put in his time. He probably had a heart to heart with Kirk and said I need until X day to be ready for retirement.

Reactions: David1979
I assume he will be an “advisor”. I think he definitely brings value in that role- hell Alabama has mor advisors than coaches
Advisor at Alabama prior to this year meant that their kid had potential to be a player.

Would be nice to have the new QB coach in for spring drills and practice, which starts when? Agreed, I think Kirk and staff have a short list they've probably been working/looking at for a short time when KoK announced internally he was thinking of leaving.

Would be nice to have the new QB coach in for spring drills and practice, which starts when? Agreed, I think Kirk and staff have a short list they've probably been working/looking at for a short time when KoK announced internally he was thinking of leaving.
March 23.

Yeah, if I remember right this seems to be about the time, maybe a little later, that Foster and Tim P left last year and they got coaches in time for Spring.

Iowa now really only has a couple older guys on staff. Parker is close to 60. I am guessing Niemann is in his 50s but the other guys I think are mid 40's and younger.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Yeah, if I remember right this seems to be about the time, maybe a little later, that Foster and Tim P left last year and they got coaches in time for Spring.
agreed, there’s roughly a month before spring ball starts. I fully expect to have this position filled by then. Especially with an open competition at QB looming.

i like kok but that said

RbCKrf8.gif
That being said, Kirk is still the head coach.
backwards-firework.gif

Nope, in my 50s and retired and use the word dunce when it applies. You are likely too young to have heard the word before? Jim Caldwell has achieved far more than you ever will and a first class man so stop trying to dump on him. Get back to focusing on KF bouncing you on his knee as you hope.
I see that you're as bat-sh*t crazy as ever.

I have not made one comment worthy of your 1980s insults. If anything, YOU'RE the one who is slow to learn and understand.

Stating Caldwell's age is not a dump on him, it's a fact. He's had a solid coaching career, but not someone who is going to excite recruits and modernize the passing game. The only reason an out-of-work guy in his late 60s is being mentioned is because of his Iowa ties. He wouldn't be a candidate for QB coach at any other mid-upper level P-5 program unless they had a young HC and OC and wanted his experience. Iowa needs a guy to come in who is going to offset the issues Iowa has with an aging head coach and poorly-credentialed OC. The other older head coaches mentioned in this thread as some kind of counter to the age issue (Belichick, Arians, Saban, etc) don't have many assistants in their late 60s - they have younger coaching staffs, because they realize that's what is needed.

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze
I see that you're as bat-sh*t crazy as ever.

I have not made one comment worthy of your 1980s insults. If anything, YOU'RE the one who is slow to learn and understand.

Stating Caldwell's age is not a dump on him, it's a fact. He's had a solid coaching career, but not someone who is going to excite recruits and modernize the passing game. The only reason an out-of-work guy in his late 60s is being mentioned is because of his Iowa ties. He wouldn't be a candidate for QB coach at any other mid-upper level P-5 program unless they had a young HC and OC and wanted his experience. Iowa needs a guy to come in who is going to offset the issues Iowa has with an aging head coach and poorly-credentialed OC. The other older head coaches mentioned in this thread as some kind of counter to the age issue (Belichick, Arians, Saban, etc) don't have many assistants in their late 60s - they have younger coaching staffs, because they realize that's what is needed.
Learn to take it in stride dude. You made a dumb/silly post not thinking of KFs age himself and I was just was making fun of it. Then, as usual, you came unhinged.

My vote would be for Marvin McNutt. Was recruited as a QB (so he's played the position) and then obviously went on to become one of the most prolific wide receivers in program history. Very charismatic guy who would be an ace recruiter and understand the full dynamics of the passing game. Not just what the QB needs to know and do, but what his receivers are expecting out of him. Being a black man also helps with the image problem of the Iowa coaching staff. Also, he was the head coach of an Indoor Football League team. They sucked the year he coached, but he has coaching experience nonetheless.

Reactions: frydaze
My vote would be for Marvin McNutt. Was recruited as a QB (so he's played the position) and then obviously went on to become one of the most prolific wide receivers in program history. Very charismatic guy who would be an ace recruiter and understand the full dynamics of the passing game. Not just what the QB needs to know and do, but what his receivers are expecting out of him. Being a black man also helps with the image problem of the Iowa coaching staff. Also, he was the head coach of an Indoor Football League team. They sucked the year he coached, but he has coaching experience nonetheless.
Not a bad choice. I think he was on Coe's staff last fall. Definitely wants to be in coaching.

UCF co-coordinator/quarterbacks coach G.J. Kinne

Recent jobs: UCF (2021), Hawaii offensive coordinator (2020), Philadelphia Eagles special projects assistant (2019), Arkansas offensive analyst (2018)

Was a three-year starting QB at Tulsa and was the 2010 Conference USA Offensive Player of the Year with Chad Morris as his coordinator.Has worked or played under several other prominent coaches, including Ohio State coach Ryan Day, ex-Philadelphia Eagles coach Doug Pederson, Florida State coach Mike Norvell and UCLA coach Chip Kelly.The move to UCF reconnected him with Gus Malzahn, who was his quarterback coach at Tulsa in 2008.Will be coaching star QB Dillon Gabriel, who has thrown for 7,223 yards and 61 touchdowns in his first two seasons with the Knights.

Reactions: BigOHawk
I didn’t realize that any current NFL head coaches with Super Bowl wins were serious candidates. How about Belichick then?
Never said they were. The only reason the guy said he didnt want Caldwell was because of age. If thats the case would he not want Arians/ Bellichick because they were too old?

Double whammy, he could help BF.

Longtime college head coach, North Dakota native and former NFL quarterback Randy Hedberg has been North Dakota State University’s quarterbacks coach since 2014. Elevated to associate head coach and passing game coordinator in 2019, he has been part of seven Missouri Valley Football Conference championships and six NCAA Division I FCS national championships at NDSU.

Hedberg, who was named the 2020-21 FCS Assistant Coach of the Year by the American Football Coaches Association, has mentored three NFL draft picks in eight seasons at North Dakota State, including two quarterbacks selected in the top three overall at the NFL Draft. He has been part of Bison teams that have produced seven of the top eight seasons of total offense in NDSU history including a school-record 7,076 yards in 2018 and 7,512 yards in 2019.

Redshirt freshman Trey Lance in 2019 won the Stats Perform Walter Payton Award and Jerry Rice Award as the top offensive player and top freshman player in the Football Championship Subdivision. Lance accounted for 42 total touchdowns, led the nation in passing efficiency (180.6), and set an NCAA all-divisions record for most passing attempts in a season without an interception (287) before being selected No. 3 overall by the San Francisco 49ers in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Hedberg previously groomed FCS all-time winningest quarterback Easton Stick, who led the Bison to the national championship game with eight wins as a freshman in 2015 and finished 49-3 in his career with two national title victories as the starter. Stick set NDSU career records for passing yards (8,693), passing touchdowns (88), total offense (11,216) and total touchdowns (129) before being selected in the fifth round of the 2019 NFL Draft by the Los Angeles Chargers.

Hedberg tutored eventual No. 2 overall pick Carson Wentz to a record-setting season as a first-year starter in 2014. The Bison junior passed for a school-record 3,111 yards while also setting school marks for passing attempts and completions. Wentz was 20-3 as the Bison starter and led NDSU to victories in the 2014 and 2015 national championship games before starting as a rookie in 2016 with the Philadelphia Eagles

Advisor at Alabama prior to this year meant that their kid had potential to be a player.

That is not true. Advisor at Alabama often meant you lost your previous coaching job and you need a place to stay in the game for a year or two while you wait for the next big gig. Or, you are looking to get into coaching and you need to start somewhere.

JFC he is 68. Maybe it is just time. Most people die in their 70s and early 80s.
This. He was ready. His family was more than ready.

The life of a P5 college football coach is not family-oriented, no matter who the HC is. Lots of 16-hour days, 7-day weeks of work. Recruiting is constant. He's ready to step back and deserves kudos for all he has done here.

ADVERTISEMENT