ADVERTISEMENT

O’Keefe stepping down as Iowa Quarterbacks Coach

Double whammy, he could help BF.

Longtime college head coach, North Dakota native and former NFL quarterback Randy Hedberg has been North Dakota State University’s quarterbacks coach since 2014. Elevated to associate head coach and passing game coordinator in 2019, he has been part of seven Missouri Valley Football Conference championships and six NCAA Division I FCS national championships at NDSU.

Hedberg, who was named the 2020-21 FCS Assistant Coach of the Year by the American Football Coaches Association, has mentored three NFL draft picks in eight seasons at North Dakota State, including two quarterbacks selected in the top three overall at the NFL Draft. He has been part of Bison teams that have produced seven of the top eight seasons of total offense in NDSU history including a school-record 7,076 yards in 2018 and 7,512 yards in 2019.

Redshirt freshman Trey Lance in 2019 won the Stats Perform Walter Payton Award and Jerry Rice Award as the top offensive player and top freshman player in the Football Championship Subdivision. Lance accounted for 42 total touchdowns, led the nation in passing efficiency (180.6), and set an NCAA all-divisions record for most passing attempts in a season without an interception (287) before being selected No. 3 overall by the San Francisco 49ers in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Hedberg previously groomed FCS all-time winningest quarterback Easton Stick, who led the Bison to the national championship game with eight wins as a freshman in 2015 and finished 49-3 in his career with two national title victories as the starter. Stick set NDSU career records for passing yards (8,693), passing touchdowns (88), total offense (11,216) and total touchdowns (129) before being selected in the fifth round of the 2019 NFL Draft by the Los Angeles Chargers.

Hedberg tutored eventual No. 2 overall pick Carson Wentz to a record-setting season as a first-year starter in 2014. The Bison junior passed for a school-record 3,111 yards while also setting school marks for passing attempts and completions. Wentz was 20-3 as the Bison starter and led NDSU to victories in the 2014 and 2015 national championship games before starting as a rookie in 2016 with the Philadelphia Eagles
Now this is a good suggestion. I like it.

Reactions: BCRoss89
Good QB does not equal Good QB Coach

CJ might get there some day, but that would not be a good hire when he doesn't have a day of coaching under his belt.
Yeah, experience matters at Iowa. Unless your last name happens to be Ferentz or you marry one of his daughters

Learn to take it in stride dude. You made a dumb/silly post not thinking of KFs age himself and I was just was making fun of it. Then, as usual, you came unhinged.
Kirk's offenses have sucked or been below average the vast majority of his 23 seasons at Iowa, not sure what point you were thinking you were making using him as an example. We should care about results, not age

Yeah, experience matters at Iowa. Unless your last name happens to be Ferentz or you marry one of his daughters

Kirk's offenses have sucked or been below average the vast majority of his 23 seasons at Iowa, not sure what point you were thinking you were making using him as an example. We should care about results, not age
Go ask MeettheFerentz. He's the one who didn't like Caldwell because of his age-- I have no problem with it. I mocked him that if he was going to say Caldwell was too old, then what does that say about KF (same age basically as Caldwell).

Last edited:
Now this is a good suggestion. I like it.
The last NDSU coach we had was solid, and left rather quickly. This guy could ride off into the sunset with KF and leave BF in a good position to take over as HC ("if" BF actually listens to the guy). He's put more QB's in the NFL with substance compared to Iowa.

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze

Results being wins and losses over 23 seasons. Not offensive yards per game or points per game.

The last NDSU coach we had was solid, and left rather quickly. This guy could ride off into the sunset with KF and leave BF in a good position to take over as HC ("if" BF actually listens to the guy). He's put more QB's in the NFL with substance compared to Iowa.
Stop being a fool to think BF will be the HC here one day. Several reasons why not-- most self inflicted.

I'd say there are 2 if not 3 other assistants on Iowa's staff today that would be better HC candidates that BF would be.

Stop being a fool to think BF will be the HC here one day. Several reasons why not-- most self inflicted.

I'd say there are 2 if not 3 other assistants on Iowa's staff today that would be better HC candidates that BF would be.
I'm no fool, just pretty hard to not see him step in with dad paving the way for him. I don't want him as the HC, but sometimes you have to just accept reality.

I would love to see Woods be the HC, or even Phil Parker (not big on him because of age). But the writing on the wall says BF...

I'm no fool, just pretty hard to not see him step in with dad paving the way for him. I don't want him as the HC, but sometimes you have to just accept reality.

I would love to see Woods be the HC, or even Phil Parker (not big on him because of age). But the writing on the wall says BF...
I think reality now is he won't be the HC. I wouldn't have said that before the summer of 2020. BF is now too much of a lightning rod.

Of course his Dad wants him to take over for him eventually. But BF would raise far too many concerns/questions if put in the HC role after the accusations made towards him by former players. Racial issues are ones you want your name clear of. And remember, there are depositions then the actual trial taking pace in 2023 so there could be more to come.

Reactions: obfuscating
The only significant qualification BF has to be head coach anywhere, but especially at Iowa, is his last name. And if he were to be named head coach at Iowa, I do think a large number of Hawkeye fans would go nuts. I know of one for sure.

The only significant qualification BF has to be head coach anywhere, but especially at Iowa, is his last name. And if he were to be named head coach at Iowa, I do think a large number of Hawkeye fans would go nuts. I know of one for sure.
Money folks decide that. Don’t kid yourself. It’s like the white smoke at the Vatican. When Gar Bar gets the nod from the money folk they stoke that fire.

Some folks look at "what could have been" if we only had an offense that matched our defense for 23 years... possible NC, I would say yes.
And if we could get all 4 or 5 stars damn we could beat NFL teams!!!!!! I saw a unicorn eating smurfs today!

How much longer is CJ Beathard (SP)looking to play?! Smart, talented and can make a cool $600plus coaching QBs. I would have gone with Tate before he went to uni, he would bring a lot to the position as well.
Drew's in the coaching business now. A chance to move 60 miles down the road into your alma mater, where you get to be a god and 5X as much money? Easy answer.

Learn to take it in stride dude. You made a dumb/silly post not thinking of KFs age himself and I was just was making fun of it. Then, as usual, you came unhinged.
Go ask MeettheFerentz. He's the one who didn't like Caldwell because of his age-- I have no problem with it. I mocked him that if he was going to say Caldwell was too old, then what does that say about KF (same age basically as Caldwell).
I don't know why you think I wasn't considering KF's age with my post. It was actually a big part of my point, which you unsurprisingly missed. We already have a dinosaur for a HC. If we have a dinosaur assistant retiring, it's a chance to add some badly-needed youth and fresh ideas to the program; adding someone equally as old who's been out of coaching for 3 years and out of college coaching for >20 years doesn't exactly do that. I know that's difficult for a septuagenarian such as yourself to hear, but it's true.

• Haha
I don't know why you think I wasn't considering KF's age with my post. It was actually a big part of my point, which you unsurprisingly missed. We already have a dinosaur for a HC. If we have a dinosaur assistant retiring, it's a chance to add some badly-needed youth and fresh ideas to the program; adding someone equally as old who's been out of coaching for 3 years and out of college coaching for >20 years doesn't exactly do that. I know that's difficult for a septuagenarian such as yourself to hear, but it's true.
Don't take it personally but many of your posts are a joke and I like to remind you of it from time-to-time. Fun to see you spin in the wind.

Don't take it personally but many of your posts are a joke and I like to remind you of it from time-to-time. Fun to see you spin in the wind.
What does spin in the wind mean, grandpa? Is that another '60s idiom?

Hilarious that you think you're putting me in my place. I've made solid points in each of my posts and you've made none. Everyone here knows you're crazy and FOS.

1. He's "stepping down" but Iowa will honor his contract? I have a hard time believing this. If he left on his own Iowa is doing something I've never seen in my professional career; maybe it happens in sports and I've just missed it.

2. Why does it state "Moon family head football coach Kirk Ferentz" and not Iowa head football coach Kirk Ferentz? Are we now the Moon Family Hawkeyes?
Rev. Moon has taken over the program. It is now a cult.

What does spin in the wind mean, grandpa? Is that another '60s idiom?

Hilarious that you think you're putting me in my place. I've made solid points in each of my posts and you've made none. Everyone here knows you're crazy and FOS.
In my 50s and retired. Living comfortably. That's my story, what's yours? Still trying to find your way in the world I'm guessing? Didn't I once fire you at my company?

Last edited:
In my 50s and retired. Living comfortably. That's my story, what's yours? Still trying to find your way in the world I'm guessing? Didn't I once fire you at my company?
Yeah, figured you were an octogenarian based on your posts. My grandpa gets confused, too. Getting late; better take your Geritol and Metamucil and get to bed.

Yeah, figured you were an octogenarian based on your posts. My grandpa gets confused, too. Getting late; better take your Geritol and Metamucil and get to bed.
LOL, trying to keep up. Don't worry, you'll get it figured out one day and find yourself and find a career you can settle into. If not, look me up, and I'll hire you to be my chauffer.

The Jacksonville Jaguars and Arizona Cardinals thought so as well, enough to bring him in at times.
Where are you coming up with this? Racioppi interned with Jacksonville, they did not" bring him in". Go read his LinkedIn profile and also read his bio for his current position. What he himself lists as his experience is what the facts are. I'll say it again, read what he writes as his background, don't quote someone else or the web.
Interesting that a guy that has been basically a high school coach is an internet legend. I've read about all of these great QB's he has worked with and Tom House and Jordan Palmer far eclipse him with their resumes. Nate Stanley and Spencer Petra's spend one week in New Jersey with him and people want to hire him after what improvement from either?
Kenny Picket was listed as having been coached by
Racioppi. The story is actually Tony worked at Manning camps and Pickett has attended Manning camps. When Pickett wanted advice about entering the NFL draft he called Payton Manning. Manning is the one who has worked with Kenny Pickett. Also Pickett himself gives his Dad and Coach Mark Whipple, who has known his dad for 30 years, credit for his development. Between Peyton Manning and Mark Whipple, Kenny Picket had two of the best coaches at the QB position to foster him. If you want the facts go read ESPN'S article by Chris Low about Kenny Picket and show me Racioppi being mentioned. You won't find it because it's not there. Mark Whipple, the guy at Nebraska is a great coach.
This board never let's facts get in the way of wanting the next horrible hire at Iowa.

Reactions: dadster
Racioppi has people pay him to tutor QBs. Stanley improved significantly over his career. Spencer's problems are obviously mental, he makes some beautiful throws.

I'm not closely following the college QB coaching market right now but if he's popular he's probably not a trivial figure in that market.

As I said elsewhere, we are not looking at a daily kind of schedule. Scour the country for some smart younger guy that can diplomatically work in some new ideas. That's the target, and all the whining and whinging about past failures has absolutely nothing to do with that discussion. Start scouting some options with the time spent thinking of nasty shit to say about, well anyone right now.

Last edited:
Petras-miss.gif

Where are you coming up with this? Racioppi interned with Jacksonville, they did not" bring him in". Go read his LinkedIn profile and also read his bio for his current position. What he himself lists as his experience is what the facts are. I'll say it again, read what he writes as his background, don't quote someone else or the web.
Interesting that a guy that has been basically a high school coach is an internet legend. I've read about all of these great QB's he has worked with and Tom House and Jordan Palmer far eclipse him with their resumes. Nate Stanley and Spencer Petra's spend one week in New Jersey with him and people want to hire him after what improvement from either?
Kenny Picket was listed as having been coached by
Racioppi. The story is actually Tony worked at Manning camps and Pickett has attended Manning camps. When Pickett wanted advice about entering the NFL draft he called Payton Manning. Manning is the one who has worked with Kenny Pickett. Also Pickett himself gives his Dad and Coach Mark Whipple, who has known his dad for 30 years, credit for his development. Between Peyton Manning and Mark Whipple, Kenny Picket had two of the best coaches at the QB position to foster him. If you want the facts go read ESPN'S article by Chris Low about Kenny Picket and show me Racioppi being mentioned. You won't find it because it's not there. Mark Whipple, the guy at Nebraska is a great coach.
This board never let's facts get in the way of wanting the next horrible hire at Iowa.
Pickett and Racioppi has worked together often I know someone who was with Petras, Stanley, and Pickett when they were throwing at Princeton.

Reactions: grhawk
Pickett and Racioppi has worked together often I know someone who was with Petras, Stanley, and Pickett when they were throwing at Princeton.

Pickett is from New Jersey and throws the football around at that facility. Tony works Manning camps so the two know each other. The assumption is Tony is responsible for Kenny Pickets development. Far from being true. Quarterbacks train in facilities close to home and throw the football to receivers from that area also. This does not mean they are paying that person to coach them.

Pickett is from New Jersey and throws the football around at that facility. Tony works Manning camps so the two know each other. The assumption is Tony is responsible for Kenny Pickets development. Far from being true. Quarterbacks train in facilities close to home and throw the football to receivers from that area also. This does not mean they are paying that person to coach them.
He’s not responsible for pickets productivity but it is stupid to say he didn’t help. Pickett is also absolutely paying Tony no way he’s helping train Pickett for the combine for free.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT